2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

Solid Scott.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413669978' post='10311109']So first round at my home course today with new driver, irons, and toe sweep 50 wedge hand ground.

20-30 gusting winds. 66 degrees. (NJ)

Stats:

Score: 73 (+1)
GIR:13
Fairways: 11 of 15

Considering the conditions, I was quite pleased with my ball striking today. In fact if I had putted just average, I'd have been under par. If, IF, IF. lol.

Driver impressions. Vapor Pro with Elements chrome tour spec 44"

One word.

SOLID.

In the tech sessions Nike told us that they worked very hard to stiffen the chassis of the driver. That was apparent today. No matter where on the face I hit it the ball seemed to jump off the face. Even heeled. One of the most consistent driver rounds I had all year. Especially distance.

But it wasn't the driver I was most excited about.

The irons.

Vapor PC 4-PW. Recoil Shafts.

I have played the VRS Forged for nearly 3 years now. I loved how forgiving they are, as well as long with consistent and predictable yardages.

The VPC are ALL of those things. Except now I can work and flight the ball like I never have before.

20+ winds today. I hit 4 knockdown shots and the farthest I was from the hole was 15 feet. Two birdies.

This was a clear weakness of my game before today.

I won't go any deeper so that I can save it for my review. But suffice to say I am VERY HAPPY![/quote]

Nice work.

You mentioned in comparison to the VRS forged the vpc are just as long. Did you get your set lofted stronger to match the vrs or did you go standard spec?

Just as forgiving as the vrs forged seems too good to be true, but I believe you after that round you posted!

Titleist 910 D2 - GD AD DI6
Titleist 917 F2 16.5* - GD AD DI7
Titleist 620 MB 4-P DGS300 
Titleist Vokey SM7 
Scotty Cameron Newport 2.0
ProV1x

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413669978' post='10311109']
So first round at my home course today with new driver, irons, and toe sweep 50 wedge hand ground.

Stats:

Considering the conditions, I was quite pleased with my ball striking today. In fact if I had putted just average, I'd have been under par. If, IF, IF. lol.

One word.

SOLID.

In the tech sessions Nike told us that they worked very hard to stiffen the chassis of the driver. That was apparent today. No matter where on the face I hit it the ball seemed to jump off the face. Even heeled. One of the most consistent driver rounds I had all year. Especially distance.

The irons.

I have played the VRS Forged for nearly 3 years now. I loved how forgiving they are, as well as long with consistent and predictable yardages.

The VPC are ALL of those things. Except now I can work and flight the ball like I never have before.

20+ winds today. I hit 4 knockdown shots and the farthest I was from the hole was 15 feet. Two birdies.

I won't go any deeper so that I can save it for my review. But suffice to say I am VERY HAPPY!
[/quote]

Awesome Scotty......rzn black or platinum?

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413672271' post='10311287']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413669978' post='10311109']So first round at my home course today with new driver, irons, and toe sweep 50 wedge hand ground.

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

I won't go any deeper so that I can save it for my review. But suffice to say I am VERY HAPPY![/quote]

Nice work.

You mentioned in comparison to the VRS forged the vpc are just as long. Did you get your set lofted stronger to match the vrs or did you go standard spec?

Just as forgiving as the vrs forged seems too good to be true, but I believe you after that round you posted!
[/quote]

I was skeptical as well when I was told that these would be as forgiving as the VRS too.

But believe me they are! So solid and it seemed like the ball flew the exact yardage I expected it to all day. What more can you ask for, especially in the wind!

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413673149' post='10311373']
So first round at my home course today with new driver, irons, and toe sweep 50 wedge hand ground.

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

I won't go any deeper so that I can save it for my review. But suffice to say I am VERY HAPPY!
[/quote]

[/quote]

I am not going to lie. I am still a proV1X guy.

That said, I played one of the Volt RZN Blk balls they gave us.

I have tested the 2014 RZN black and while I liked it, it wasn't able to kick the V1X out of the bag.

But this ball seemed different. It seemed softer. Especially around the greens and the sound.

Plus, I simply can't imagine there is a better ball in the wind. Period.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413673769' post='10311413'][quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413672271' post='10311287']

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

Nice work.

[/quote]

I was skeptical as well when I was told that these would be as forgiving as the VRS too.

But believe me they are! So solid and it seemed like the ball flew the exact yardage I expected it to all day. What more can you ask for, especially in the wind![/quote]

Great to hear.

You didn't answer my exact question on your lofts...perhaps you are saving it for the review?! If so, I'll be patient :)

If I make the plunge I was considering strengthening them 1-2 degrees. That is why I am curious.

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413673923' post='10311425']
[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413673149' post='10311373']

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

I have tested the 2014 RZN black and while I liked it, it wasn't able to kick the V1X out of the bag.

But this ball seemed different. It seemed softer. Especially around the greens and the sound.

Plus, I simply can't imagine there is a better ball in the wind. Period.
[/quote]

Fair enough. .....that's my feeling on the TPX ball......but as usual I'll give them all a shot......

[quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413674020' post='10311439']

Great to hear.

You didn't answer my exact question on your lofts...perhaps you are saving it for the review?! If so, I'll be patient :)

If I make the plunge I was considering strengthening them 1-2 degrees. That is why I am curious.
[/quote]

Green, so sorry. Wasn't dodging the question.

My irons are bent to match my VRS lofts. In the VPC, that would mean standard through 7 iron then 1 strong to a 46 PW.

I am a high ball hitter.

But my length is 1/2 inch short of standard VRS forged, but standard VPC

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413674289' post='10311469'][quote name='greenknight9' timestamp='1413674020' post='10311439']

Great to hear.

[/quote]

Green, so sorry. Wasn't dodging the question.

My irons are bent to match my VRS lofts. In the VPC, that would mean standard through 7 iron then 1 strong to a 46 PW.

I am a high ball hitter.

But my length is 1/2 inch short of standard VRS forged, but standard VPC[/quote]

No worries at all! Thanks so much. Can't wait for your write up in particular. Great round today!

Titleist Vokey SM7 
ProV1x

[quote name='Farrow' timestamp='1413658913' post='10310429']
[quote name='North Shore Golfer21' timestamp='1413651969' post='10310081']
[quote name='DTown3011' timestamp='1413650851' post='10310017']
[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1413623640' post='10308893']
I was really interested in the flex hybrid but I might pass because I can use my favorite shaft because its .370 tip. Womp Womp
[/quote]

It's extremely easy to sand the tip of a .370 hybrid shaft to fit in the .355T hosel. No worries there.
[/quote]

Nike also recommends for the hybrid adaptor taking any .335 wood shaft and tipping it 2". You could go 80g .335 shaft and tip 2" and you have more shaft options.
[/quote]

Please tell me by "Nike recommends" that you didn't hear this from anyone at the oven or on an oven trip. That is like throwing a bandaid over your jugular being sliced. The hybrids having a .335" adapter is just pure laziness on Nike's part. They just use the same adapter for all their adjustable clubs instead of manufacturing a separate size for the hybrids.

To boot, most wood shafts only have a 3" parallel section and if you tip it 2" you're running the risk of having to sand down your shaft in the area it sees the most stress: just above the hosel.

Like I said, that is a bandaid fix and should never be used as a first or best option.
[/quote]

Thanks for the info DTown, as my knowledge with shafts is very limited. I also agree with Farrow that it would be much easier if NIke created a .370 tip adapter instead of using the same adapter and I do understand that it does same some money by not making 2 or 3 different tips. Thanks for the information guys.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413673923' post='10311425'][quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413673149' post='10311373']

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Plus, I simply can't imagine there is a better ball in the wind. Period.[/quote]

Same! As much as I liked the Black...I would switch if they made something in between Black & Platinum.

I just bought a sweep toe 60... Not a fan of it. I think if it had a different grind I would like it. Sole is too thick for my liking. A little too much bounce

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413675316' post='10311583']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413673923' post='10311425'][quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413673149' post='10311373']

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Plus, I simply can't imagine there is a better ball in the wind. Period.[/quote]

Same! As much as I liked the Black...I would switch if they made something in between Black & Platinum.

I just bought a sweep toe 60... Not a fan of it. I think if it had a different grind I would like it. Sole is too thick for my liking. A little too much bounce
[/quote]

Engage my friend. Engage.

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413675342' post='10311589']
Cool little story today.

Another top 5 player at my club who played MP30 until this year when he went 714 AP2 asked to hit my VPC irons.

He was so enamored with them that he ordered a set on the spot. That after playing just two other sets in 7 years.

They are that good.
[/quote]If they perform as good as they look, I'm sold.

I had a full Nike fitting today and hit the VR Pro Combos and was blown away. I can't imagine how the Vapors feel.

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413675376' post='10311593'][quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413675316' post='10311583']

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Engage my friend. Engage.[/quote]

Preach! I pushed my trip to the Oven until they come out! They said they don't blame me lol

001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413675342' post='10311589']
Cool little story today.

Another top 5 player at my club who played MP30 until this year when he went 714 AP2 asked to hit my VPC irons.

He was so enamored with them that he ordered a set on the spot. That after playing just two other sets in 7 years.

They are that good.
[/quote]

I may be doing the same thing after buying the 714 AP2 after coming home from a deployment earlier this year. I played the original
AP2 iron since 2008.

Stats:

One word.

SOLID.

The irons.

[/quote]

I play a set of VRS forged that I bought based a lot on your reviews (came from Cally X Protos), and I love them. I am going to have to try the Vapors now.

If Pure can sell drivers then Scott can definitely sell irons.

Great write up. I just sold my covert forged and pre-ordered the vapor irons. Although I am doing the opposite I had a recoils in my forged and I am going with the stock DG Pro.

I have questions about the arts but I'll go into your thread which is already so good. I'm not great at telling things from pictures can anyone tell me if the flex and the pro look fairly similar from address. Do both look like you were looking at a 460 cc driver?

[quote name='liquidtension' timestamp='1413677130' post='10311805'][quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413675342' post='10311589']
Cool little story today.

They are that good.
[/quote]

I may be doing the same thing after buying the 714 AP2 after coming home from a deployment earlier this year. I played the original
AP2 iron since 2008.[/quote]

I play the AP2 714... It will be very hard to get these out my bag...Cant wait to hit the PCs

001 TW Proto

I agree it would be very tough to knock my ap2s out. I'll try the pro combos in the spring at demo day and see how they are.

I hate you guys. Already have (almost) full bags of unreleased gear and I'm here running numbers in my head on how to pull some purchases off!

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

How did the Nike Vapor PC and pro irons feel? Are they as soft as the old VR line? Nice to here of all positive response to the Nike equipment. Can't wait for the final write ups!

Titleist TSi 3 8 Ventus Red 6X

Titleist TSi 2 16.5 Ventus Red 9X

Mizuno MP-20 HMB 3 AMT White X100

Mizuno MP-20 MB 4-9 MB AMT White X100

Vokey SM8 Raw 48F/52F/56D/60 AMT White X100/DG TI S400

Vokey Wedgeworks 60 Low K DG TI S400

Byron Morgan 612

Titleist Pro V1

[quote name='klingmaster007' timestamp='1413678922' post='10311937']How did the Nike Vapor PC and pro irons feel? Are they as soft as the old VR line? Nice to here of all positive response to the Nike equipment. Can't wait for the final write ups![/quote]

I'll expand more on my full review and after I get more time in with my clubs when they arrive..

Initial thoughts are the Vapor Pro has more bounce and a more forgiving grind, digs less and overall more playable.. Definitely more forgiving on mishits. Feel is subjective.. I wouldn't say they stuck me as being ultra soft, but feel is in line with the VR Pro's. The PC's are very different from the VR version. Less blade-like more like a version between the 714CB and AP2, if that makes any sense. Definitely hotter off the face than the previous PC, thicker top line, wider soles, and I felt they were much more forgiving and longer. These have a different feel than the previous model, but feel great.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Did anyone hit the vapor speed irons? I'm new and although my coach says I'm getting good with my irons I think I would want something forgiving as I just started playing this year. My swing speed is about 105 I just dont think my striking is ready for the Nike Vapor PC just yet so any info on the Vapor Speed irons would be great.

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413680363' post='10312053']
[quote name='klingmaster007' timestamp='1413678922' post='10311937']How did the Nike Vapor PC and pro irons feel? Are they as soft as the old VR line? Nice to here of all positive response to the Nike equipment. Can't wait for the final write ups![/quote]

I'll expand more on my full review and after I get more time in with my clubs when they arrive..

Initial thoughts are the Vapor Pro has more bounce and a more forgiving grind, digs less and overall more playable.. Definitely more forgiving on mishits. Feel is subjective.. I wouldn't say they stuck me as being ultra soft, but feel is in line with the VR Pro's. The PC's are very different from the VR version. Less blade-like more like a version between the 714CB and AP2, if that makes any sense. Definitely hotter off the face than the previous PC, thicker top line, wider soles, and I felt they were much more forgiving and longer. These have a different feel than the previous model, but feel great.
[/quote]

As usual, Tai is right on the money.

The only part opinion I caution is the wider sole part. Are the soles wider than a blade..any blade? YES!

Are they wider than say the AP2? No way.

Plus the cambered sole makes the Vapor PC very versatile

[quote name='ws6' timestamp='1413677327' post='10311829']

I play a set of VRS forged that I bought based a lot on your reviews (came from Cally X Protos), and I love them. I am going to have to try the Vapors now.
[/quote]

I am so flattered you made a decision based on my review. Thank you.

And thank God you liked the VRS Forged!

Imagine a look at address in the ballpark (not QUITE as clean) as the X protos but the forgiveness, length, and playability of the VRS Forged.

That is VPC.

These are special boys. After one full round with these I feel like I'm a more complete player.

[quote name='wldchld22' timestamp='1413677763' post='10311863']
If Pure can sell drivers then Scott can definitely sell irons.

Great write up. I just sold my covert forged and pre-ordered the vapor irons. Although I am doing the opposite I had a recoils in my forged and I am going with the stock DG Pro.

I have questions about the arts but I'll go into your thread which is already so good. I'm not great at telling things from pictures can anyone tell me if the flex and the pro look fairly similar from address. Do both look like you were looking at a 460 cc driver?
[/quote]

Wild you won't be sorry, I assure you.

But I think you will miss the recoils. The DG Pro feel very different to me than the recoil. But that may be a benefit to you...

[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413681684' post='10312171']

[/quote]

Imagine a look at address in the ballpark (not QUITE as clean) as the X protos but the forgiveness, length, and playability of the VRS Forged.

That is VPC.

These are special boys. After one full round with these I feel like I'm a more complete player.
[/quote]

Wow......that's about all.....oh any truth to lefties getting hosed and waiting an xtra 2 months?

[quote name='klingmaster007' timestamp='1413678922' post='10311937']
How did the Nike Vapor PC and pro irons feel? Are they as soft as the old VR line? Nice to here of all positive response to the Nike equipment. Can't wait for the final write ups!
[/quote]

I think there are two types of better players. The type that prefer Blade or 2014 PC's, and those that don't.

Here is why I say that.

Last year at the Oven they built me a set of 2014 PC's and I played them for 4 months.

My HC went from 1.8 to 0.4.

But I lost distance, forgiveness, and consistency. My bad rounds were so much worse. And my good rounds were a little better. Enough to lower my HC.

But the ball rarely seemed to be in the "window" that I expected to see. And I was uncomfortable.

So I went back to my VRS Forged (After nearly ordering a set of 714 AP2).

Well with the VPC, I HAVE IT ALL.

That window is back. I can miss and have a putt for birdie. But now I can play a feel shot too.

I hit the Vapor pro and while it looked and felt nice, it was like the 2014 PC. Just wasn't in the right window. FOR ME.

Now I'd bet Tai hit the VPC and said precisely the same thing to himself. It probably launched too high and too hot. Just guessing.

I hope this makes some sense.

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413681980' post='10312199']
[quote name='scottvw13' timestamp='1413681684' post='10312171']
[/quote]

That is VPC.

[/quote]

Wow......that's about all.....oh any truth to lefties getting hosed and waiting an xtra 2 months?
[/quote]

I have heard there is a month delay, but not 2.

I'll make a prediction. These will be SO GOOD that Nike will be hard pressed to keep up with initial demand on custom for a few weeks on righty and lefty sets...

I am not hyping these. I take full responsibility if someone says I am full of crap. I 100% stand by my review. These will be the breakout iron of 2015.

Of course Rory thinks a little of these too. The 2 iron right in the bag for the most important tournament of the year for HIM.

And for the Speed lovers, rumor has it that the Speed 2 iron is going in next..thanks to 158 MPH ballspeed!