2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1419993563' post='10663263'][quote name='J13' timestamp='1419985473' post='10662587'][quote name='shakey' timestamp='1419983201' post='10662425']
[quote name='J13' timestamp='1419981334' post='10662303']
Shakey I know someone that saw the wedges a few months ago and told me about the wax used to preserve the wedge on the shelf. Honestly what a cool move by Nike. Talk about shelf appeal !!
[/quote]
I saw a pic of the wax on the wedges and I think it'll look awesome.
[/quote]

Lets be honest wedges come down to what you like to look down at and on the shelf they don't exactly get many looks lke the putters do or drivers but with this wax on them I can't imagine how it won't atleast bring people over to check them out. Honest it's a brilliant move IMO.[/quote]
I agree. It'll be eye-catching.[/quote]when I open a new bottle of makers Mark and have some baby bel cheese, engage wedges enter my mind. #pathetic

Nike Vapor Flex 440 w Fuji Tour spec 63
Nike Vapor Fly 3w
Nike Vapor Flex 3h
Nike Vapor Pro combo 4-PW w PX LZ 5.5
Nike Engage 52 square and 58DS
Nike Method Origin B2-05
RZN Dot Platinum
[color=#0000ff]IG Gchrist_01[/color]

[attachment=2552395:IMG_0215.JPG]
[attachment=2552397:IMG_0217.JPG]
[attachment=2552399:IMG_0221.JPG]
[attachment=2552401:IMG_0223.JPG]
[attachment=2552403:IMG_0225.JPG]
[attachment=2552405:IMG_0227.JPG]
[attachment=2552407:IMG_0229.JPG]
[attachment=2552409:IMG_0231.JPG]
[attachment=2552411:IMG_0233.JPG]
[attachment=2552413:IMG_0235.JPG]

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420052821' post='10666381']
[attachment=2552395:IMG_0215.JPG]
[attachment=2552397:IMG_0217.JPG]
[attachment=2552399:IMG_0221.JPG]
[attachment=2552401:IMG_0223.JPG]
[attachment=2552403:IMG_0225.JPG]
[attachment=2552405:IMG_0227.JPG]
[attachment=2552407:IMG_0229.JPG]
[attachment=2552409:IMG_0231.JPG]
[attachment=2552411:IMG_0233.JPG]
[attachment=2552413:IMG_0235.JPG]
[/quote]
Amazing looking! Especially against the rich mahogany wood! I can't wait to bomb it!

I didn't pull out the FLIGHTPOD to adjust it to the setting I will be playing it at for the pictures. More than likely it will be set to 9.5* RIGHT - LOW as that produced incredible results at THE OVEN. For as many setting and options on this driver - NIKE has really made it simple for the user - with the flex loft, face angle, and flightpod as they are very easy to understand and only a quarter of a turn to lock in the flightpod.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420056518' post='10666795']
I didn't pull out the FLIGHTPOD to adjust it to the setting I will be playing it at for the pictures. More than likely it will be set to 9.5* RIGHT - LOW as that produced incredible results at THE OVEN. For as many setting and options on this driver - NIKE has really made it simple for the user - with the flex loft, face angle, and flightpod as they are very easy to understand and only a quarter of a turn to lock in the flightpod.
[/quote] Im going to the oven on january 19th to get fit and tour the facility. cant wait to try vapor flex driver. wondering how it plays against the vapor pro driver.

[quote name='moondog80' timestamp='1420059258' post='10667007']
[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420056518' post='10666795']
[/quote] Im going to the oven on january 19th to get fit and tour the facility. cant wait to try vapor flex driver. wondering how it plays against the vapor pro driver.
[/quote]

your results might vary - but i found the pro head and flex head to be COMPLETELY different animals. the pro head was great and the results were wonderful with an occasional ball that acted completely different than the others. if anything contact tended to be slightly on the heel. with the flex head - every ball looked almost identical (this was before we played and had literally swung ourselves out half way through the round) in flight. i was able to square the head up much easier and swing through the ball with each swing. i feel this was attributed to the muted sound and again how easy it was to square up this head vs. the pro. this might be weight displacement, aerodynamics, head shape difference? regardless it just screamed confidence - especially not seeing the ball being touched into the wind at THE OVEN yet maintaining normal trajectory.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420062010' post='10667233']
[quote name='icec0ld' timestamp='1420059892' post='10667065']
what's the head weight?
[/quote]

199.8g. The odd thing is one of my 2.0 TOUR heads is similar in weight 200.2g yet the displacement is drastically different when holding the head only - and even more so when swinging.
[/quote]

i assume this isn't including the sleeve correct? even though the sleeve is supposed to be reduced in weight, i still wonder what the total weight is going to be.

had a chance to get out and play nine yesterday right before the ROSE BOWL - GO DUCKS with some great results with the FLEX. it has been fairly cold here (not in comparison to some of you) and below freezing every night this week, i want to say the low was in the mid 20's... either way it has been clear during the day with plenty of sun so it is thawing out by around 11:00 allowing for some of the local courses to open. even with the hard ground, the top layer has softened up enough to pretty much stop any tee shot within a few yards (perhaps your longest roll being 10 yards - so not quite wet weather golf) of where it lands. there is only one par three on the front nine of TRI MOUNTAIN, so i was able to give the FLEX a go on seven of the nine holes (one of the par fours only requires a three iron for position). for those of you who have played cold weather golf - it usually extenuates the sound off the driver. i was extremely pleased in how the sound and feel was identical to that in which i experienced in TX at THE OVEN and SHADY OAKS. if anything i heard it less. the ball flight was also exactly how i remembered it - flat, hot trajectory that has zero ballooning. when you have the confidence that the ball is not going to balloon, and it wants to fly straight it is easy to kick it into another gear, even with another layer of clothing. on hole 3, which plays 436 yards i flew the ball well over a fairway bunker that is usually a tough carry in the winter. on the next hole, hole 4, i was able to fly the ball into the front green side bunker which was playing 324 yards. i could keep giving details of yardages, but the most impressive thing about the results was the ball flight. i am picking up speed with this head and carrying the ball further than i use to on a much hotter trajectory, which will pay some major dividends later in the year. watching TAI hit balls at THE OVEN and playing with him - i can say with confidence that i hit my driver on a higher trajectory than him (with my older setups). putting a driver like this in my hands allows my flight to come down significantly without losing carry distance. i reference TAI as i am curious to see if he is seeing similar results to me - however, knowing that he already hits his driver in a lower window.

there are many more rounds in front of me before i can make an accurate assessment of the driver, but it is already easier to hit and longer than my 2.0 TOUR. i would say that there are only two or three drivers of the hundred that i have owned that i am able to flight like the FLEX. it is too early to say, but i don't recall carrying the ball as far as i did yesterday on the same HOT trajectory - winter or summer.

Ryan--what are/were your impressions of the Flex 3 wood?
Did you guys hit those much at the Oven?

Nice review of the driver.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1420215396' post='10674427']

[/quote]

i will give an official review after i have some good time with the driver - these are obviously just some first impressions.

i liked the shape and results of the FLEX three wood a lot. easier to hit than the 2.0 TOUR from all lies and i thought longer. they only had the stock 70g stiff Diamana S+ available for us to use - but all things considered it was great. i will emphasize again how nice the shape is in hands.

[quote name='shakey' timestamp='1420215396' post='10674427']

[/quote]

I didn't hit the 3 wood much at the Oven, but I hit about 15 balls with it at the Nike event (non-GolfWRX related) in So Cal. It looks great, the sounds is a lot different than what you will find in the Flex driver. It sound tinny, but the ball jumps off really hot. Overall it was a solid club, and will most likely be going straight into my bag as well.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

Thanks for the input guys. I had it in my hands a few days ago when the rep was up but didn't get to hit it. Our demos are due in soon, but the weather is starting to turn bad, so who knows when I'll get it out.

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420214304' post='10674333']
had a chance to get out and play nine yesterday right before the ROSE BOWL - GO DUCKS with some great results with the FLEX. it has been fairly cold here (not in comparison to some of you) and below freezing every night this week, i want to say the low was in the mid 20's... either way it has been clear during the day with plenty of sun so it is thawing out by around 11:00 allowing for some of the local courses to open. even with the hard ground, the top layer has softened up enough to pretty much stop any tee shot within a few yards (perhaps your longest roll being 10 yards - so not quite wet weather golf) of where it lands. there is only one par three on the front nine of TRI MOUNTAIN, so i was able to give the FLEX a go on seven of the nine holes (one of the par fours only requires a three iron for position). for those of you who have played cold weather golf - it usually extenuates the sound off the driver. i was extremely pleased in how the sound and feel was identical to that in which i experienced in TX at THE OVEN and SHADY OAKS. if anything i heard it less. the ball flight was also exactly how i remembered it - flat, hot trajectory that has zero ballooning. when you have the confidence that the ball is not going to balloon, and it wants to fly straight it is easy to kick it into another gear, even with another layer of clothing. on hole 3, which plays 436 yards i flew the ball well over a fairway bunker that is usually a tough carry in the winter. on the next hole, hole 4, i was able to fly the ball into the front green side bunker which was playing 324 yards. i could keep giving details of yardages, but the most impressive thing about the results was the ball flight. i am picking up speed with this head and carrying the ball further than i use to on a much hotter trajectory, which will pay some major dividends later in the year. watching TAI hit balls at THE OVEN and playing with him - i can say with confidence that i hit my driver on a higher trajectory than him (with my older setups). putting a driver like this in my hands allows my flight to come down significantly without losing carry distance. i reference TAI as i am curious to see if he is seeing similar results to me - however, knowing that he already hits his driver in a lower window.

there are many more rounds in front of me before i can make an accurate assessment of the driver, but it is already easier to hit and longer than my 2.0 TOUR. i would say that there are only two or three drivers of the hundred that i have owned that i am able to flight like the FLEX. it is too early to say, but i don't recall carrying the ball as far as i did yesterday on the same HOT trajectory - winter or summer.
[/quote]

I know Tri Mountain really well. Did you take your previous driver out to compare? That would be the truest way to compare the differences between the two. Especially at Tri, where you likely have wind aiding/hurting drives on many holes. The left bunker on 3 is like 265 to cover. I would be curious to hear how both drivers performed there.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420214304' post='10674333']

[/quote]

Good to see your thoughts on this so far. More interested in hearing how it goes after you get 5-10 rounds in with it. Right now my biggest concern is accuracy and forgiveness. Granted, the conditions I have been playing in recently are pretty much unlike any conditions I've used my SLDR in all year, so it's tough to tell.. but so far, the jury is still out on forgiveness and playability of this club. Distance, it is very long.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1420303405' post='10679211'][quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1420214304' post='10674333']

[/quote]

Good to see your thoughts on this so far. More interested in hearing how it goes after you get 5-10 rounds in with it. Right now my biggest concern is accuracy and forgiveness. Granted, the conditions I have been playing in recently are pretty much unlike any conditions I've used my SLDR in all year, so it's tough to tell.. but so far, the jury is still out on forgiveness and playability of this club. Distance, it is very long.[/quote]

Can you guys see any tour players putting the flex in the bag or did they point to that at all at the oven?

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1420306569' post='10679485']
Can you guys see any tour players putting the flex in the bag or did they point to that at all at the oven?
[/quote]

Honestly, not sure. I have always thought that a tour player would not need the advantages of the adjustments in the Flex since they have access to protos and the tour dept to dial their clubs in. When we were at the Oven, the were not sure who would and wouldn't be playing the Flex, and some other models since the heads were so new and the Flex was like the unicorn head, the heads we hit at the Oven were all accounted for and hand assembled and were being shipped off right after we left the Oven. My understanding was that when we hit the Flex, many tour pro's probably had not even hit it yet, in fact, my buddy is a Nike Athlete (mini tour/college) and was fit the day after we left (an actual tour fitting) and said if he wanted the Flex, it would be a while before he could get one.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1420415253' post='10685985'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1420306569' post='10679485']
[/quote]

Honestly, not sure. I have always thought that a tour player would not need the advantages of the adjustments in the Flex since they have access to protos and the tour dept to dial their clubs in. When we were at the Oven, the were not sure who would and wouldn't be playing the Flex, and some other models since the heads were so new and the Flex was like the unicorn head, the heads we hit at the Oven were all accounted for and hand assembled and were being shipped off right after we left the Oven. My understanding was that when we hit the Flex, many tour pro's probably had not even hit it yet, in fact, my buddy is a Nike Athlete (mini tour/college) and was fit the day after we left (an actual tour fitting) and said if he wanted the Flex, it would be a while before he could get one.[/quote]

Thanks for the thoughts. It's such a nice looking club that I hope it suits me although the pro is likely the one. Thanks for your honest unbiased opinions.

[quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1420415743' post='10686007']
[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1420415253' post='10685985'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1420306569' post='10679485']
[/quote]

Honestly, not sure. I have always thought that a tour player would not need the advantages of the adjustments in the Flex since they have access to protos and the tour dept to dial their clubs in. When we were at the Oven, the were not sure who would and wouldn't be playing the Flex, and some other models since the heads were so new and the Flex was like the unicorn head, the heads we hit at the Oven were all accounted for and hand assembled and were being shipped off right after we left the Oven. My understanding was that when we hit the Flex, many tour pro's probably had not even hit it yet, in fact, my buddy is a Nike Athlete (mini tour/college) and was fit the day after we left (an actual tour fitting) and said if he wanted the Flex, it would be a while before he could get one.[/quote]

Thanks for the thoughts. It's such a nice looking club that I hope it suits me although the pro is likely the one. Thanks for your honest unbiased opinions.
[/quote]

No problem! Not sure if you have seen this thread, but I'm putting the Vapor's toe to toe with a few other hot drivers that I want to try:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1085945-pure745s-2015-driver-shootout-vapor-flex-arrived-1224/

I will be posting a summary of my experiences with the review on this thread as well.

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1420415971' post='10686031'][quote name='ToddyJ' timestamp='1420415743' post='10686007']
[/quote]

[/quote]

No problem! Not sure if you have seen this thread, but I'm putting the Vapor's toe to toe with a few other hot drivers that I want to try:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1085945-pure745s-2015-driver-shootout-vapor-flex-arrived-1224/

I will be posting a summary of my experiences with the review on this thread as well.[/quote]

Yep. I've been anxiously following it. Looking forward to your findings. The time you spend doing this is much appreciated.

• 4 months later...