2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

The Oven: GolfWRX's Nike Vapor Driver Experience (trip recap and reviews on page 1!)

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413831784' post='10320725']
@jonn443 - is there any particular product with this Oven trip that catches your eye? I don't see a signature to know what you have in your bag. If we can provide any information please post your questions!
[/quote]

I have a CT2.0 that I love but I hit it too low unfortunately even at 12.5. That and it being a bit unpredictable in off center hits has made me look towards the 913 D2 which I also have. I am intrigued with the Vapor Pro and maybe even the Vapor Speed. If they perform like the CT 2.0 but offer more forgiveness and a quality stock shaft, I think I might go with one of those. I also like the Vapor Pro Combos as I was a forged Split cavity player for awhile and currently play the MP53's and wanted to go with the 2014 Pro Combos but they were too demanding and I felt I didn't have the game for them. I think if the Pro Combos will offer more forgiveness, increase launch a bit, but keep the soft forged feeling I would definitely give them a try. I just think it would be a chance of a lifetime to be invited to one of those events and afraid I will never get the chance.

AB TP 10.5*/ DI6X
AB TP 3HL / 757
XTD 19*/ Fubuki Ax
DWS 24*/ VS Proto
J15 CB 5-PW/ Modus 3 125S
X-Forged MD (50*, 56* 60*)
Spider Si/ SS Mid SLim 2.0

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1413831259' post='10320657']
Wish others then the "elite" could attend those experiences. I use a CT 2.0 and have Nike VR forged wedges, and still have my split cavity forged irons. Why can't someone like me get invited to that. It seems that the same *chosen* people keep on getting chosen to go to these things. Unfair and a tease to all others on this board who would kill to get invited to this. How about next time you do a giveaway or pick someone who hasn't been to the OVEN or was given a frickin driver or putter for free, with a fitting. Yes, I'm hating and it's well merited. I know hundreds of other people have the same feelings but won't express their true feeling. Many others and myself have performed many reviews and tested equipment. How do we get noticed. Say I'm a troll and hater all you want, but the majority of readers of this site will agree with me.

I still appreciate the conventional reviews but am a little agitated with the dream fitting threads, gloating how everyone receives free sh*t, that many would give a kidney to just be a part of.

Flame away.
[/quote]

From what I understand, Nike specifically asked for these members to come again and be part of the Vapor experience. Perhaps they felt like they didn't fulfill expectations during the last OVEN trip so they wanted redemption. Plus it seems everything was put together rather quickly seeing that one of the chosen just recently revamped his entire bag almost top to bottom with a different brand completely. In the end, who better is there than these fine members that were chosen? They all are storied members and have highly respected opinions here. They give an awful lot back to the GolfWRX community.

I'm not saying I didn't want the opportunity to go to the OVEN as well but at the end of the day lets be thankful that these men have been proven to provide non biased reviews and quality feedback to any and all people with questions. One day the time may come where you ARE selected for something like this and there will be others asking "why him"? We are lucky to be able to even see feedback, pictures, numbers, etc. before these clubs are released. Dont be angry because they recieved new equipment. Complaints such as these could cause the generous equipment companies to close their doors to GolfWRX and their members all together.

Current WITB

TAYLORMADE M5 9* (Tensei Pro white 80tx)
PING i25 14* (KuroKage Proto 70xx)
SRIXON ZU85 2i (C-TAPER 130x)
SRIXON Z785 4-PW (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 50S (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 55W (C-TAPER 130x)
CALLAWAY MD5 60X (C-TAPER 130x)
TAYLORMADE Spider Tour Black (no alignment aid)
BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413834292' post='10320923']
Wish others then the "elite" could attend those experiences. I use a CT 2.0 and have Nike VR forged wedges, and still have my split cavity forged irons. Why can't someone like me get invited to that. It seems that the same *chosen* people keep on getting chosen to go to these things. Unfair and a tease to all others on this board who would kill to get invited to this. How about next time you do a giveaway or pick someone who hasn't been to the OVEN or was given a frickin driver or putter for free, with a fitting. Yes, I'm hating and it's well merited. I know hundreds of other people have the same feelings but won't express their true feeling. Many others and myself have performed many reviews and tested equipment. How do we get noticed. Say I'm a troll and hater all you want, but the majority of readers of this site will agree with me.

I still appreciate the conventional reviews but am a little agitated with the dream fitting threads, gloating how everyone receives free sh*t, that many would give a kidney to just be a part of.

Flame away.
[/quote]

From what I understand, Nike specifically asked for these members to come again and be part of the Vapor experience. Perhaps they felt like they didn't fulfill expectations during the last OVEN trip so they wanted redemption. Plus it seems everything was put together rather quickly seeing that one of the chosen just recently revamped his entire bag almost top to bottom with a different brand completely. In the end, who better is there than these fine members that were chosen? They all are storied members and have highly respected opinions here. They give an awful lot back to the GolfWRX community.

I'm not saying I didn't want the opportunity to go to the OVEN as well but at the end of the day lets be thankful that these men have been proven to provide non biased reviews and quality feedback to any and all people with questions. One day the time may come where you ARE selected for something like this and there will be others asking "why him"? We are lucky to be able to even see feedback, pictures, numbers, etc. before these clubs are released. Dont be angry because they recieved new equipment. Complaints such as these could cause the generous equipment companies to close their doors to GolfWRX and their members all together.
[/quote]

Very well said.

Titleist TSR2 9* - HZRDUS Red
Taylormade Stealth 2 Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Taylormade Stealth Hybrid 19* - Fujikura Ventus Red
Titleist T200 2023 4-PW Aerotech SteelFiber 95
Taylormade MG3 50, 54, Hi-Toe 60
Taylormade Spider GT Max

Can't wait for the full write-ups. I am going to get a full bag fitting from Club Champion (Philly) this winter, and the first thing I am gonna ask to try are the new VPCs!!

Callaway Epic Sub Zero, Rogue Silver 110x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 13*, Speeder 757x
Rocketballz Tour Issue Proto Head 19*, Speeder 757x
Callaway Alpha 815h, 21*, Velyix Rome 988x
Apex 4-6/Apex Pro 7-PW, DGX100
Tour Grind 52/60, Odyssey Protype #3

[quote name='atlambert2' timestamp='1413835030' post='10320999']
Can't wait for the full write-ups. I am going to get a full bag fitting from Club Champion (Philly) this winter, and the first thing I am gonna ask to try are the new VPCs!!
[/quote]
I am looking forward to the full write ups as well. I like to see the first impressions and initial thoughts while the experience is still fresh in their minds and then get the secondary and longer term reviews after a few rounds.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
And there it is.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

I really gave nike a run last year and their wedges were really good as always but the CT2.0 really left a sour taste in my mouth, I thought the 2.0 performance 3 wood was decent, but man the hybrid was terrible.

I have played the ProCombos and I thought they were decent I really believe the new vapor PCs will be a big upgrade

I am going to order the flex driver but I remain skeptical that it could oust my SLDR or 915 with my rogue combo that i have been gaming we shall see

[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1413834117' post='10320917']
@jonn443 - is there any particular product with this Oven trip that catches your eye? I don't see a signature to know what you have in your bag. If we can provide any information please post your questions!
[/quote]

I have a CT2.0 that I love but I hit it too low unfortunately even at 12.5. That and it being a bit unpredictable in off center hits has made me look towards the 913 D2 which I also have. I am intrigued with the Vapor Pro and maybe even the Vapor Speed. If they perform like the CT 2.0 but offer more forgiveness and a quality stock shaft, I think I might go with one of those. I also like the Vapor Pro Combos as I was a forged Split cavity player for awhile and currently play the MP53's and wanted to go with the 2014 Pro Combos but they were too demanding and I felt I didn't have the game for them. I think if the Pro Combos will offer more forgiveness, increase launch a bit, but keep the soft forged feeling I would definitely give them a try. I just think it would be a chance of a lifetime to be invited to one of those events and afraid I will never get the chance.
[/quote]

i'll address this soon! great comments. i shared many of the same frustrations.

[quote name='swanry30' timestamp='1413836154' post='10321127']
[quote name='jonn443' timestamp='1413834117' post='10320917']
[/quote]

[/quote]

i'll address this soon! great comments. i shared many of the same frustrations.
[/quote]

I know what you are saying about getting involved in one of the trips, but man this site is mostly user generated content so they need to reward those who contribute the most content.

I have been around this site and started to get involved more with posting throughout the forums but I won't complain because at this point I'm JAG around here

How do the S400's tour issue feel/perform in vpc and pro?

[size=4][font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ffa500]Brassie[/color]
[color=#ffa500]Spoon[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#ff0000]Driving Iron[/color]
[color=#008080]Cleek[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mid Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie
Spade Mashie[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Mashie niblick[/color][/font]
[font=times new roman,times,serif][color=#008080]Pitching niblick[/color]
[color=#ee82ee]Putter[/color][/font][/size]

Can any of you, and maybe I missed it, comment about the face angles of the different drivers.

I need an open face... There just isn't any two ways about it and anything that comes neutral or closed won't even get a swing from me...

9.5 Opti440 - Fujikura Rombax 5Wo6 X

Taylormade 17.9 4 wood - NVX (X)
Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

[quote name='SatelliteGuy' timestamp='1413843747' post='10321709']
Can any of you, and maybe I missed it, comment about the face angles of the different drivers.

I need an open face... There just isn't any two ways about it and anything that comes neutral or closed won't even get a swing from me...
[/quote]

From what I've read the speed and pro at neutral are one degree and the flex is one and a half

I think the people who complain got trophies as kids for finishing in last place and got ribbons no matter how poorly they did...

9° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 60 6.5
15° Titleist TSi2 HZRDUS Smoke RDX 70 6.0
19° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
22° PXG 0317 X Gen 2 Fujikura Pro 2.0 HB 85S
5-PW Srixon ZX5 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 50/54/58 Project X LZ 6.5
Artisan Golf 0418

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413845265' post='10321841']

[/quote]

From what I've read the speed and pro at neutral are one degree and the flex is one and a half
[/quote]
Plus you can then move it to the "Right" setting

[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M2 10.5 w/KK Silver 60 S [/b][/color]
[color=#000000][b]TM 2016 M1 3(15) w/KK Black 70 S [/b][/color]
[b][color=#0000ff]TM Rescue 11 3(18) w/NVS Org Next Gen 85 S
Nike VPC 4-PW w/Nippon Modus Tour 120 Stiff[/color][/b]
[color=#000000][b]TM MG2 52 SB and 58 LB w/DGS200  [/b]
[b]TM Spider X Copper [/b][/color]
[b][color=#000000]TM TP5 Pix[/color][/b]

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Unbiased, are you kidding me? Nike and every other OEM is literally paying these guys thousands in the form of clubs, OF COURSE it's going to be biased. They love to show comparison numbers without giving us a club head speed or smash factor and launch conditions that don't seem to make sense.
Surely I'm not saying the Vapor line sucks or anything, but it's clearly a marketing tactic that they can get thousands of eyes on without paying actual money.

Flame away.
[/quote]

This is still better than seeing pages and pages of members with names like AJKHIEUFBNI with three posts getting some seriously cool gear that we up here in Canada will never see or hit unless we order it without hitting it.

Seriously, you guys in the States are EXTREMELY lucky to have the gear at the shops to try out Trips like the OVEN save us up here in Canada a lot of money if the items are given solid reviews and not over hyped like the Callaway trip that lead to me blowing 500 bones on a driver that sits behind my front door for security reasons (not that it gets much use in it"s new role, as I live in Canada) Still holding out on a burglar so I can see if his head will hook or slice into the field to the right or the neighbours pickup on the left. Probably better to just toss it out the door to him and let him be the one with a cursed driver.

Thanks to Golf Town forcing most of the cool shops -the ones that carried some nice shaft upgrades- we are now subject to OEM only with two Flex ratings R or R. Shoes are the other big one for us up here, we get the colorways that may as well be plaid.

I do really pay attention to these trips and reviews but I watch out for certain things like "Best Ever" or "SooooOOo Easy to Hit" or "CRAZZZZZYY LONG". Things that don't make me feel like dropping another 500 bones for a back door security system.

Like I said, I have no horse in this race since, some idiot put a ruler on the map too friggin low and banished me to a yearly cycle that includes a 5 month deep freeze.

Not bitter just sayin'.

You guys that go on these trips need to realize that Nike is relying on you just as much as we are. Cuz if that Vapor Flex becomes my new security for the backdoor I won't be drinking from that trough again.

Sorry about the grammar and spelling fellas, just got off work and feeling a little tired.

[quote name='Clintness' timestamp='1413846119' post='10321907']

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
Unbiased, are you kidding me? Nike and every other OEM is literally paying these guys thousands in the form of clubs, OF COURSE it's going to be biased. They love to show comparison numbers without giving us a club head speed or smash factor and launch conditions that don't seem to make sense.
Surely I'm not saying the Vapor line sucks or anything, but it's clearly a marketing tactic that they can get thousands of eyes on without paying actual money.
[/quote]
Have you ever seen Pure745's WITB thread? In no way, shape or form is he biased towards any oem. Trust that these guys writing full reviews are not pumping smoke. If the product is better... it goes in the bag, if not... they will report why for all to see. That is all I am going to say here in hopes of keeping this thread on topic.

Current WITB

BRIDGESTONE TOUR Bx 

[quote name='SwooshLT' timestamp='1413845265' post='10321841']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I guess my question sucked after thinking about it for a moment...

I really want something open at the neutral setting...

I'm weird... I hate the adapters... ALL of em.... Everything stays in the neutral setting.... It's one my weirdo deals...

Like have ALL script at 12:00... That's right.... Shaft and grip labels staring me in the face....

Edit: and since Tai's the only person who I've read or paid attention to in the past... Can I get a Handicap range for the testers?

Edit Deux: I'm dumb.... You said they were One Degree and One.5 Degree open at Neutral...

I'm dumb, just to reiterate.

:lol:

Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

[quote name='ThunderBuzzworth' timestamp='1413846578' post='10321949']

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
Have you ever seen Pure745's WITB thread? In no way, shape or form is he biased towards any oem. Trust that these guys writing full reviews are not pumping smoke. If the product is better... it goes in the bag, if not... they will report why for all to see. That is all I am going to say here in hopes of keeping this thread on topic.
[/quote]

This is why I trust him with my bag.

He has put enough money through his bag for an entry level Mercedes.

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]
I think you're misunderstanding the marketing aspect of this. Also yes, I have seen his WITB, he seems to have A LOT of really nice clubs in different bags from different OEMs. I'm sure he has even more, laying around. I'm not harping on anyone, but calling it unbias just seems so off. Nike is gonna shine these guy's shoes, wash their car, feed their dog and take their wife out to the spa, figuratively..
Wanna make it unbias? Show more than one ball on a launch monitor with no club head speed or smash factor from two separate drivers. Give us ALL the numbers and fit the drivers to their best ability for the guys and give us a larger sample size. Unbiased? Not buying it.

Geez guys stop whining and complaining...then you wonder why you didn't get picked lol. You guys had a chance to go to the Oven when they offered certificates on BST for charity. That being said I keep checking my phone every hour for the reviews. I'm curious to hear more about the flex model as it appears I love the shape the most.

TM SiM 9* Kuro Kage XT 60 TX

TM SiM 15* Diamana D+ LTD 70 X

Titleist u500 2 Diamana Tensei Blue 90X, 4 DG TI S400

Titleist T100 5-6 DG TI S400

Titleist MB 7-PW DG TIS400
Artisan TW/TGR Blade 50*, Artisan 55R, 59TW S400
001 TW Proto

WITB http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1183320-cota0429-nike-oven-baked-witb-52215/

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413847893' post='10322087']
Geez guys stop whining and complaining...then you wonder why you didn't get picked lol. You guys had a chance to go to the Oven when they offered certificates on BST for charity. That being said I keep checking my phone every hour for the reviews. I'm curious to hear more about the flex model as it appears I love the shape the most.
[/quote]
Not whining, I don't think anyone is actually whining. They're making solid points. There's a reason why these threads are called "experiences" and not actual reviews when they're essentially free marketing.
I have no problem with same people going, like Pure745 and some other solid writers, but please, show us some legit stuff. I like this forum because it's supposed to be an insightful way of knowing about equipment.

[quote name='Snufles' timestamp='1413847395' post='10322029']

Flame away.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]
[/quote]

This is why I trust him with my bag.

He has put enough money through his bag for an entry level Mercedes.
[/quote]
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but to many people this is the reason why they have a problem with these trips. Same guy putting that many clubs through his bag and gets them for free.

[quote name='cota0429' timestamp='1413847893' post='10322087']
[/quote]

I honestly think he's trying to say we don't see enough data to truly make a determination...

Let's see 10 swings... ALL the LM Data... Their favorite new Nike.... Against the one they brought...

Gentlemen?

Challenge accepted?

Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom

[quote name='Clintness' timestamp='1413848488' post='10322141']
Not to keep beating a dead horse, but to many people this is the reason why they have a problem with these trips. Same guy putting that many clubs through his bag and gets them for free.
[/quote]

The free clubs I got didn't make the cut.. the one's I'm playing cost me full MSRP + fitting + build, I'd guess around $5K. Thanks bro, take your bitter outlook on things back to the World of Warcraft forum.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 7.5 - PX Hulk 65g

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 13.5 - PX Hulk 85g
PXG Hybrid 19 - GD HYB 95

Miura MC 501 - DG X100

Miura Tour 50, 54 - DG X100

Vokey 60V - PX LZ

Scotty Cameron 009 - Circle W
IG: https://www.instagram.com/pure745

[quote name='Pure745' timestamp='1413848608' post='10322151']
Embarrassing.
[/quote]

Not gonna stop brother... Power through and forget the comments.... Let's see your LM Data..

I REALLY wanna new driver for next year.... The Opti440 didn't give me the forgiveness I needed... I'm leanin on ya hardcore here..

I'm almost 6'5 and weigh 270 lbs.... THATS CALLED LEANIN'....

Now cough up or fall over.... !!

:lol:

Adams DHY Hybrid X
Cobra ACP's 4-PW
MD2's 52/58
LowTide FIN #5 Custom