Chrome Soft

scottaz

I have been using them and love them, the last remaining test was durability. After playing the same ball for 3 rounds without anything more than a few minor stains, I'm happy to say the CS is real durable.

I have only had it a few weeks but it is already my gamer. I now have a few dozen other balls I don't know what to do with.

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Finally got a chance to play the ChromeSoft today... it's not bad. As I have said in some of the other ball threads, I like to fit the ball to the course such that I play softer (more spin) balls on hard fairways with hard/fast greens, and I play harder (less spin) balls on softer courses (sponge greens or after rains). Basically, I like to average the results for total distance and spin as best I can given the course conditions. Playing Los Serranos (South Course, par 74, 7188 yards today as I moved up a set of tees due to my shoulder injury. Tips are 7628 yards) means hard and hard/med-fast conditions... and windy this day.

My review is going to start with durability as I am not finding them to be very durable and probably equivalent to the Hex Black in durability. The first ball I played lasted 5 holes before I took it out of play. The ball had groove "waves" in the cover after the first pitching wedge shot and a strange spot that looked like it crushed a tree after 4 holes. The only issue would be I didn't hit a tree, branch, or other strange surface with the ball. Really not sure what caused that spot, but I didn't get that same issue with the second ball ... and that one actually hit a branch.

Distance: There have been a lot of comments on this ball being short off the tee or long off irons. Not sure I can say much to either with 100% accuracy as I played injured today, but I did have a couple drives that ran out over 300 yards today. I also had a few irons that made me feel like a hero today (235 yd 3 irons and 205 yd 6 irons are few and far between for me) I did notice that most of my irons flew very well into the wind and carried well with the wind. I say most as one shot into a green at 120 uphill (into wind) was a head scratcher. I went +20 yards in club choice (played 9 iron = 140 yards), and still came up about 10 short of the FRONT of the green. Big time balloon on that shot... might have been caused by me and the ball but it was a strange anomaly when compared with all other shots today.

Spin: For the most part, this ball spins much like the Hex Black off the tee in that if you put a bad spin on it, it WILL turn for (or against) you. It might not be turning as harsh as the Black did, but I found myself fighting to keep the ball flying straight off the tee and fought to get a shape on iron shots. As with backspin, from the limited play (1 round) I can say the ball spins well enough provided you strike the ball well. Los Serranos has some seriously hard greens and I was able to control my spin well enough to get 6 out of 9 of my GIR's within 10 feet. You can make it release and you can make it stop on a dime. Around the green I found there to be enough spin to control most shots. The only place I found the "low spin" issue to rear its head was a low "hop and stop" shot I hit where it hopped, but didn't exactly stop where I wanted. It did end up rolling out another 7 feet. Might have been an error in technique, but it felt right and the sound and hop were consistent with a hop and stop shot.

Feel: I am not sure what I want to say about the feel. Is it soft? You bet it is! Is it too soft a feel to there you to know where you hit the ball on the face? Nope. The only time I had a question about where I hit the ball was on a 4 iron where it felt (and sounded) like a hosel shot, but ended up with more draw than I was looking for. Checked the mark on the face and it was inside, but not all the way to the hosel. I would make the same assumption with any ball upon hearing and feeling that combination of sound and vibration from the face. That said, would I prefer a little harder feel? Yes... but only because the muted sound/feel is even more muted than I remember from balata balls. No issues off the putter or off wedges as there is enough response to know what you have done and the ball rolls nicely.

Overall: This is a nice ball, but it will probably not cause me to sell off or trade my SR2/TM TP-x/Chrome+/etc. that I rotate through... yet. Give it another 10 compression points and it might replace quite a few given the price point.

Sadly, I will probably not be able to test the ball again until a bunch of people have made up their minds for good. 4th hole tee shot led to a pop in the right shoulder again... so looks like another month or so before I get to play again without pain.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1424510569' post='10996973']
Finally got a chance to play the ChromeSoft today... it's not bad. As I have said in some of the other ball threads, I like to fit the ball to the course such that I play softer (more spin) balls on hard fairways with hard/fast greens, and I play harder (less spin) balls on softer courses (sponge greens or after rains). Basically, I like to average the results for total distance and spin as best I can given the course conditions. Playing Los Serranos (South Course, par 74, 7188 yards today as I moved up a set of tees due to my shoulder injury. Tips are 7628 yards) means hard and hard/med-fast conditions... and windy this day.

My review is going to start with durability as I am not finding them to be very durable and probably equivalent to the Hex Black in durability. The first ball I played lasted 5 holes before I took it out of play. The ball had groove "waves" in the cover after the first pitching wedge shot and a strange spot that looked like it crushed a tree after 4 holes. The only issue would be I didn't hit a tree, branch, or other strange surface with the ball. Really not sure what caused that spot, but I didn't get that same issue with the second ball ... and that one actually hit a branch.

Distance: There have been a lot of comments on this ball being short off the tee or long off irons. Not sure I can say much to either with 100% accuracy as I played injured today, but I did have a couple drives that ran out over 300 yards today. I also had a few irons that made me feel like a hero today (235 yd 3 irons and 205 yd 6 irons are few and far between for me) I did notice that most of my irons flew very well into the wind and carried well with the wind. I say most as one shot into a green at 120 uphill (into wind) was a head scratcher. I went +20 yards in club choice (played 9 iron = 140 yards), and still came up about 10 short of the FRONT of the green. Big time balloon on that shot... might have been caused by me and the ball but it was a strange anomaly when compared with all other shots today.

Spin: For the most part, this ball spins much like the Hex Black off the tee in that if you put a bad spin on it, it WILL turn for (or against) you. It might not be turning as harsh as the Black did, but I found myself fighting to keep the ball flying straight off the tee and fought to get a shape on iron shots. As with backspin, from the limited play (1 round) I can say the ball spins well enough provided you strike the ball well. Los Serranos has some seriously hard greens and I was able to control my spin well enough to get 6 out of 9 of my GIR's within 10 feet. You can make it release and you can make it stop on a dime. Around the green I found there to be enough spin to control most shots. The only place I found the "low spin" issue to rear its head was a low "hop and stop" shot I hit where it hopped, but didn't exactly stop where I wanted. It did end up rolling out another 7 feet. Might have been an error in technique, but it felt right and the sound and hop were consistent with a hop and stop shot.

Feel: I am not sure what I want to say about the feel. Is it soft? You bet it is! Is it too soft a feel to there you to know where you hit the ball on the face? Nope. The only time I had a question about where I hit the ball was on a 4 iron where it felt (and sounded) like a hosel shot, but ended up with more draw than I was looking for. Checked the mark on the face and it was inside, but not all the way to the hosel. I would make the same assumption with any ball upon hearing and feeling that combination of sound and vibration from the face. That said, would I prefer a little harder feel? Yes... but only because the muted sound/feel is even more muted than I remember from balata balls. No issues off the putter or off wedges as there is enough response to know what you have done and the ball rolls nicely.

Overall: This is a nice ball, but it will probably not cause me to sell off or trade my SR2/TM TP-x/Chrome+/etc. that I rotate through... yet. Give it another 10 compression points and it might replace quite a few given the price point.

Sadly, I will probably not be able to test the ball again until a bunch of people have made up their minds for good. 4th hole tee shot led to a pop in the right shoulder again... so looks like another month or so before I get to play again without pain.
[/quote]

Really like your review. Sounds like you might like the new prototype version better. It will evidently have more compression and 4 piece construction, which might make it give it a little lower trajectory and more spin around the greens. The current version does have pretty good spin but I agree that it will run out somewhat more than other balls on shots around the green, and I have noticed this on some shots.. Hopefully the prototype will not have so much compression that it loses too much of the softness that people like about the ball. Have you had a chance to try the Wilson Staff FG Tour and if so how did it work for you?

Just a little update. I was able to get out of work early yesterday and hit the course around 2. I ended up being the last player going off for the day, and with the next nearest golfer already three holes ahead of me. I thought it was the perfect time for a ball test, so I basically played match play against myself, pitting the Chrome Soft against a ProV1 (not sure what year, I had found it in the bushes during my previous round and it was completely unscathed). I was very fortunate to be hitting it as well as I have in a very very long time, so I was able to get some consistent comparisons between the two balls. I shot 79 with the ProV, and 78 with the CS. Both were career lows and the first time I'd broken 80 at my home course from the back tees. I won't go through all of my thrilling shots hole by hole, but there were definitely some standout moments for the CS.

- Off the driver, the CS was consistently 5-6 yards further than the ProV1, except for on two holes, where the CS outdrove the ProV by 12 and 19 yards, respectively. Both times, I hit both balls on the identical line and with similar trajectories. Here's a couple photos below to show just how much further the CS went

856A4149-4EBB-4561-89B6-89AD58BAF19D_zps52q9ewey.jpg

My drives on the 7th hole. As measured by GPS: ProV1 - 255 yds. CS - 267 yds

D6674713-8FDB-4DB3-AB8F-D351016B4EE6_zpsxlyls5jc.jpg

My drives on the 15th hole. ProV - 261 yds. CS - 280 yds

This next shot was pretty special. On the 14th hole, a long par 5 into the wind, I pulled my drive slightly with the CS and caught the top of, and subsequently fell into, a fairway bunker about 220 from the tee. I was forced to lay up, and chunked a 7 iron out of the bunker, leaving me with 191 yards into the wind. I hit my 4 hybrid, beautiful baby draw that landed way more softly than it looked like it was going to. With the ProV, I hit a solid drive, laid up to 76 yards, and knocked my 58 on. I hit the CS closer...

EEBFFEE3-F52D-463F-9BAE-A72BCD6155CE_zpsqgcq712g.jpg

The pitch mark at the bottom of this picture is from the CS hybrid shot. Probably doesn't help in any kind of review, but I just wanted to brag :derisive:

But overall, the CS had noticeably less sidespin than the ProV, and that was partly what gave me the confidence to take dead aim from 190, and I hit it pin high more times in one round than I think I ever have. Also, the fact that I was a solid half club longer off the irons with the CS meant I could take more controlled swings and hit it the same distance as a full out swing with the ProV. Which brings me to the greenside/putting performance...

When I first tried these balls out, I was unwise and didn't practice rolling a few putts with them beforehand to acclimate to the fact that, either they're slightly hotter off a putter with an insert, or they simply feel so soft that I'm subconsciously hitting them harder because I feel like I need to "get it there." This time around, I spent a good bit of time before teeing off on the practice greens. I rolled a couple putts alternating between the ProV and the CS and found that, for me, in a vacuum (5 ft. flat mostly straight putt), when I would hit both balls with the identical amount of force/stroke, the CS would, on average, roll out about a foot and a half to two feet further. As I said in my previous post, I'm mostly the type of putter who prefers to not putt as forcefully and really like to die putts into the hole. Once I accounted for the difference in the CS, my distance control was extraordinary. If I hit a green in regulation, no matter what the distance, I pretty much left myself inside of 3 ft every time, and also holed a good amount of 6-7 footers for par. On the other hand, getting accustomed to the CS came at the cost of completely losing my feel for the ProV haha. For the round, I had 29 putts with the CS and 36 with the ProV. No 3-putts with the CS, 4 3-putts with the ProV :cheesy:

All in all, this ball has impressed me a lot from the small sample size I've had with it. Of course the extra few yards here and there are great, particularly with the irons, and the feel and consistency around the greens is phenomenal once you spend some time with it. But the kicker for me is the accuracy and tight dispersion that it has provided for me thus far throughout the bag. I was fortunate enough to be chosen by WRX to test this ball, so once I get a couple more rounds and some detailed LM sessions under the belt, I'll really dive into this one.

Nice review. I enjoyed the pictures as it's snowing again in the Northeast.

Ping G400 Max 9.5
Ping G25 4 wood
Ping G400 22 degree
Ping G25 5-UW
Ping Glide ES 54, 56

Ping Sigma G Tyne

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424561373' post='11000279']
Took 63 holes to get a single scuff on a Chrome Soft. That's coming from someone who had to switch premium balls every 4 holes from completely shredding the cover. I was skeptical, but this ball is well worth the money.
[/quote]
Found the same thing. Very durable. Maybe not qjite as much backspin on full short irons, but I'll take hop and stop over back up and shredded ball any day. Also real grippy on chips and pitches. Stops remarkably fast.

Got another round in yesterday at my club and this time the results were more positive. Since my last review, I started working with a new instructor so now I am generating more spin thus my iron approaches were hop and stop with very little rollout like the Supersoft.

Driving was excellent and putting felt good and as others have said, the ball is durable. It's starting to grow on me.

I was really hoping this would be the end all ball for me. I usually play at a course that has really soft bent greens to the point where I was playing the Velocity ball all year just so I didn't spin it off the green on every hole. The problem was if I missed a green, I couldn't play any type of checking shot with the Velocity and from 70 and in, it wasn't too great.

This ball cured my concerns in the areas I was wanting, but when I played it, I hit the shortest drives that I've ever hit on this course. I was hitting from areas I've never hit from before because of that. I know it's been cold out and I lose distance from that, but I nailed some drives and they ended up way shorter than I ever expected. The thing is, visually it didn't look like I was spinning them too much. I really don't know why it is that they are short off the tee with a driver.

While having the ability to control the ball around the greens is nice, playing the shortest iron possible to the hole is a huge advantage. Hitting a SW vs a 9 iron is a massive difference. The miss of a SW isn't as bad as a miss with a 9 iron. Because of that, I just won't play these anymore.

Ping G400 LST Ping Tour Stiff 63
Callaway Epic Fash Sub Zero 15 Hzrdus Smoke 6.5
Titleist 818 H1 19 Evenflow Blue 6.5 85
Titleist T100s Black 4-PW Dynamic Gold AMT Tour White
Titleist SM8 52 Dynamic Gold S200
TM High Toe 58 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM High Toe 64 KBS Hi Rev 115 Stiff
TM Spider X

[quote name='IHFN' timestamp='1424586047' post='11002331']
I was really hoping this would be the end all ball for me. I usually play at a course that has really soft bent greens to the point where I was playing the Velocity ball all year just so I didn't spin it off the green on every hole. The problem was if I missed a green, I couldn't play any type of checking shot with the Velocity and from 70 and in, it wasn't too great.

This ball cured my concerns in the areas I was wanting, but when I played it, I hit the shortest drives that I've ever hit on this course. I was hitting from areas I've never hit from before because of that. I know it's been cold out and I lose distance from that, but I nailed some drives and they ended up way shorter than I ever expected. The thing is, visually it didn't look like I was spinning them too much. I really don't know why it is that they are short off the tee with a driver.

While having the ability to control the ball around the greens is nice, playing the shortest iron possible to the hole is a huge advantage. Hitting a SW vs a 9 iron is a massive difference. The miss of a SW isn't as bad as a miss with a 9 iron. Because of that, I just won't play these anymore.
[/quote]

That sucks, I'm sorry you had that experience. I haven't checked myself with this ball on a launch monitor yet, but my yardages are all similar to the Chrome + so far. I sure wouldn't give up 30 or so yards off the tee either.

[quote name='lewisgl' timestamp='1424534702' post='10997909']

Really like your review. Sounds like you might like the new prototype version better. It will evidently have more compression and 4 piece construction, which might make it give it a little lower trajectory and more spin around the greens. The current version does have pretty good spin but I agree that it will run out somewhat more than other balls on shots around the green, and I have noticed this on some shots.. Hopefully the prototype will not have so much compression that it loses too much of the softness that people like about the ball. Have you had a chance to try the Wilson Staff FG Tour and if so how did it work for you?
[/quote]

Sadly, I haven't played the Wilson Staff FG Tour to date. This year I experimented with the Volvik PROBismuth (lower flight and a little less spin than the Chrome+ all around), gave the Duo demo sleeve a chance ... then gave the other 2 demo sleeves to my cousin (ball fell out of the air for me off the tee and I lost a lot of yards), tried the B330-RX that a Bridgestone rep wanted me to "change to for a softer B330" (an attempt to get me back in a B330 series ball, but it was not my cup of tea, too much spin off the tee vs B330 or Chrome+), and I even picked up some Z-Star XV's for the first time in 3 years (not bad, but need to do side by side with other balls to really see if it was me or the ball that day). Needless to say, 2015 might be some of the same and I might give the FG Tour a shot if I get to a point of wanting to experiment again. Right now I think I have 5 or 6 dozen balls here to burn through and a wrecked shoulder... that will slow the ball chewing exercises and probably keep me in the "softer" balls for a while. :)

If I get a chance to "run into" the local Callaway rep, I will see if he might have a demo sleeve of the proto CS ... if they bring it to market.

[quote name='GameDayDog' timestamp='1424588888' post='11002403']
All these reviews and nobody has mentioned if there's a left handed version of the Chrome Soft available...
[/quote]

Nope. Rumor has it that even Phil is playing the righty version.

Despite the commercials, he's actually having trouble with it because the ball spins in the wrong direction. I got this info directly from a guy who works on the tour van, so you know it's legit.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1423435258' post='10913039']
I'm new on WRX, so I doubt many of you will put much stock in what I have to say, but here goes!

I bought a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Soft before my round yesterday, at the recommendation of my swing coach. I shot 68 on a course I've only played a few times, and it was playing firm and fast with a good amount of intermittent wind and brief light showers. My SS averages around 120 and I couldn't imagine liking a ball like this in a million years. Everything played similar to the Chrome + I've been gaming for about a year and a half now, with some expected and some unexpected differences.

Off the tee- my distance was very similar to my gamer, played a tad bit straighter. My drives were between 290 and 330, which is great given the cooler weather and being at sea level. Hit a lot of fairways. I have a very flat trajectory with the big dog, usually launching around 14*, hovering around 2k spin. Nothing looked different here.

Irons/Full Wedges- My cut and draw dispersion were a bit tighter than I was used to, which took a few holes to get used to. I didn't notice any distance change. I had read about lower trajectory with the wedges, but I didn't notice any change there.The real benefit was on partial/feel shots. I felt like I could hit any club any distance I wanted with good control, like the balata days. I was pin high on nearly every hole. I came up a full club short out of a fairway bunker. I am pretty positive I caught it very flush and had the yardage right, but it'll take more testing for me to know for sure.

Around the green/ within 100 yards- My feel was amazing. High flops, low running chips, pitch from rough, all good stuff. I was even 3 for 3 in green side sand saves. Trajectory was a little different than I was used to, but had perfect action on firm greens- check and a little roll.

Putting felt awkward, but the results were very good. Felt like I was just brushing them in after I got used to the low compression.

But the real good news is that after 18 holes with one ball, there was the faintest marking on it, despite striking a cart path on one hole and being a higher-spin player who chews up a Chrome + every three holes or so with wedges.

There will be people who just don't like the feel of it, others who buy cheaper golf balls as a rule, and of course brand loyalists. This isn't to sway you, this is for the player who thinks this ball won't perform. I'd invest in a sleeve and give it a shot. I'm pretty certain I've found my new gamer. If this was helpful to anyone, I'll post a follow up after my round Wednesday. Thanks for reading!
[/quote]
Took 63 holes to get a single scuff on a Chrome Soft. That's coming from someone who had to switch premium balls every 4 holes from completely shredding the cover. I was skeptical, but this ball is well worth the money.
[/quote]
[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424564207' post='11000519']
I play very high spin and tend to hit high trajectory. I love that the CS has just enough spin for what I want. I play extremely firm greens, and this ball has passed with flying colors.
[/quote]

Nowhere did you mention that you did a blind comparison with this ball to confirm that you were seeing what you think you are seeing, yet you are convinced it is your new gamer? Someone once told me that the psyche does damaging things without our permission.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424565222' post='11000607']
................................... as a golfer I like finding out what really works, especially when the price of many comparable balls is a dollar cheaper per ball.
[/quote]

I must have missed how you found out "what really works". Please enlighten us so we can follow suit.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424606349' post='11002695']
[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1423435258' post='10913039']
I'm new on WRX, so I doubt many of you will put much stock in what I have to say, but here goes!

I bought a dozen of the Callaway Chrome Soft before my round yesterday, at the recommendation of my swing coach. I shot 68 on a course I've only played a few times, and it was playing firm and fast with a good amount of intermittent wind and brief light showers. My SS averages around 120 and I couldn't imagine liking a ball like this in a million years. Everything played similar to the Chrome + I've been gaming for about a year and a half now, with some expected and some unexpected differences.

Off the tee- my distance was very similar to my gamer, played a tad bit straighter. My drives were between 290 and 330, which is great given the cooler weather and being at sea level. Hit a lot of fairways. I have a very flat trajectory with the big dog, usually launching around 14*, hovering around 2k spin. Nothing looked different here.

Irons/Full Wedges- My cut and draw dispersion were a bit tighter than I was used to, which took a few holes to get used to. I didn't notice any distance change. I had read about lower trajectory with the wedges, but I didn't notice any change there.The real benefit was on partial/feel shots. I felt like I could hit any club any distance I wanted with good control, like the balata days. I was pin high on nearly every hole. I came up a full club short out of a fairway bunker. I am pretty positive I caught it very flush and had the yardage right, but it'll take more testing for me to know for sure.

Around the green/ within 100 yards- My feel was amazing. High flops, low running chips, pitch from rough, all good stuff. I was even 3 for 3 in green side sand saves. Trajectory was a little different than I was used to, but had perfect action on firm greens- check and a little roll.

Putting felt awkward, but the results were very good. Felt like I was just brushing them in after I got used to the low compression.

But the real good news is that after 18 holes with one ball, there was the faintest marking on it, despite striking a cart path on one hole and being a higher-spin player who chews up a Chrome + every three holes or so with wedges.

There will be people who just don't like the feel of it, others who buy cheaper golf balls as a rule, and of course brand loyalists. This isn't to sway you, this is for the player who thinks this ball won't perform. I'd invest in a sleeve and give it a shot. I'm pretty certain I've found my new gamer. If this was helpful to anyone, I'll post a follow up after my round Wednesday. Thanks for reading!
[/quote]
[/quote]
[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424564207' post='11000519']
I play very high spin and tend to hit high trajectory. I love that the CS has just enough spin for what I want. I play extremely firm greens, and this ball has passed with flying colors.
[/quote]

Nowhere did you mention that you did a blind comparison with this ball to confirm that you were seeing what you think you are seeing, yet you are convinced it is your new gamer? Someone once told me that the psyche does damaging things without our permission.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1424565222' post='11000607']
................................... as a golfer I like finding out what really works, especially when the price of many comparable balls is a dollar cheaper per ball.
[/quote]

I must have missed how you found out "what really works". Please enlighten us so we can follow suit.

[/quote]I see you're looking to get into another arguement Hidalgo. Why not just let it pass?

Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Series Zing putter

sounds like hype simply over the fact that they feel soft. sticking with prov1x

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1424626680' post='11004007']
[/quote]

Everyone should just remember that [i]"You get what you pay for"[/i] rings very true in the golf ball world. This ball is a good example of that.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424627626' post='11004105'][quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1424626680' post='11004007']
[/quote]

Everyone should just remember that [i]"You get what you pay for"[/i] rings very true in the golf ball world. This ball is a good example of that.[/quote]

True, I think it's a great value. If the player wants increased driver distance and green side spin and they are above average in swing speed, they should just step up to the SR3.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Played lots of golf last two weekends.

Wind (10~15mph), cold(36F), warm (64F) and some light rain all involved last two weekends.

CS does everything my game ball Prov1x does and more.

I love the soft feel off the putter and pitch/chip feeling off my clubs.

Also at $31/dz, it is hard to beat.

My local Edwin watts guy told me that Callaway has hard time keeping up with the demand... made in U.S.A!

TaylorMade SIM 2 MAX Ventus Black Velocore
Ping G400 2 Hybrid Tour AD DI
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged Irons
Titleist Vokey SM8s
Bettinardi Tour DASS
Pro V1X low number

I know this won't sit well with the so-called 'purists', but, I think a golfer could intermix most any quality golf ball and their HC wouldn't change. I think it's more mental than anything. I am only a 10 cap and played the Topflite Gamer Tour, a 3 piece urethane ball, the entire 2014 season and have never golfed better in my entire life. Would I have played 'even' better with some ProV's? No. Besides the mental aspect of aesthetics, I think the same would apply to any golfer, even scratch or better.

i was at the PGA SS in Orlando this week and i was trying out one of the new Odyssey putters... i had tried it before and was not overly impressed... this time something was different, i didn't pick up on it right away as i had demoed several different brands of putters and then i realized what was happening... they were yellow Chrome soft balls with PGA SS logo on it. Man i have to say that using these on the putting greens in stores should help to sell putters... When i asked a sales rep there if it in fact helps he responded... Absolutely. On a fairly cold morning in Orlando i was rolling some ProV1x's on the practice green and my son said hey I am playing ProV1x today... i switched to the newly bought Chrome Soft and immediately noticed a softer feel on the green with my Scotty newport 2. As far as the round went it felt soft on all shots... i didn't notice any major change in distance or spin overall except for overall feel... especially on a couple of thin shots... they didn't feel so thin to me. Again the selling point for me is on the green. Putts felt buttery soft and rolled very well. I did not in any way feel the mushy feel that a lot of golfers clammed they felt... my X2 hot pro 3 wood still sounded crisp. At its current price point its a deal breaker for me. I am a long time ProV1x user and i will test the new ball as well.

Driver PXG Black OPS 9 deg with Tensei white 65

4 wood PXG Black OPS 17 deg with Tensei white 75

Titleist T200 utility #3 iron with IZ 95X 

Wilson Staff CB 4-PW with DG mid 115 s300

Wedges Ping S159 54s and 60s with DG s300 

Odyssey Ai-one Jailbird Cruiser 

Pro V1 

I still need to hit my demo sleeve of SR3's to see how they react for me, but I have been right on the borderline between SR2 and SR3 in driver SS. I am up a bit (when the shoulder lets me) from 106 to 108-109, so maybe I should give them a shot in a 3-way comparison. Personally, I think the SR's are great but just too expensive to play all the time. The Chrome+ has been my ball for normal play and given how the CS played for me with the bum shoulder I might make it the "go to" for a little bit after I heal completely.

The only hiccup I have had with the SR's in the past was TOO much spin on soft/receptive greens. This plays into my ball play theory where I fit the ball to conditions instead of changing how I play for conditions. Hard/fast course = softer/more spin ball (SR2/CS for example), soft/receptive course = harder/lower spin ball (PROBismuth/Chrome+/XV). In the end I get the same "averaged" results on and around the greens.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1424672192' post='11008917']
I still need to hit my demo sleeve of SR3's to see how they react for me, but I have been right on the borderline between SR2 and SR3 in driver SS. I am up a bit (when the shoulder lets me) from 106 to 108-109, so maybe I should give them a shot in a 3-way comparison. Personally, I think the SR's are great but just too expensive to play all the time. The Chrome+ has been my ball for normal play and given how the CS played for me with the bum shoulder I might make it the "go to" for a little bit after I heal completely.

The only hiccup I have had with the SR's in the past was TOO much spin on soft/receptive greens. This plays into my ball play theory where I fit the ball to conditions instead of changing how I play for conditions. Hard/fast course = softer/more spin ball (SR2/CS for example), soft/receptive course = harder/lower spin ball (PROBismuth/Chrome+/XV). In the end I get the same "averaged" results on and around the greens.
[/quote]

The SR3 was crazy spin off the irons while maintaining my full yardages. There were too many full wedge shots I'd hit that would spin back 40 feet on reasonably firm greens. If I were playing on the big boy tour, that kind of spin would be good, but took too much work to knock that spin off for my purposes. The CS isn't as crazy.

Tailoring your ball to the conditions is always wise, with how much conditions can vary in the real world.

[quote name='Hidalgo' timestamp='1424626501' post='11003997']
The question was for Burt Reynolds.
[/quote]

That's not my name... My name's Turd Ferguson.

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1413391659' post='10292849']
The golf pro at our club hooked us up with a sleeve of the Chrome Soft today.

I'm a big Chrome + fan and the first thing I would say is, these are two very different balls. The Chrome Soft is just that. Extremely soft. In the past I tried low compression balls and they didn't work well for me and these feel like that. I have no idea what the compression is on these.

Off the driver and irons, it FEELS like the ball is sticking to the face a bit. Mushy to me. But they performed better than those others I tried (DUO and Super Softs are the two I tried).

I also noticed a lower ball flight on all shots. I hit a high ball normally.

On 18, I was 91 yards out and hit a low wedge that landed 8' in front of the stick and released to a tap in. My Chrome + likely would have left me short. These do not bite as well for me. Chips from the rough ran out more than I used to.

I hit them side by side off the tee a few times and wasn't able to hit them close enough to each other to get a real distance gauge, but the Chrome + was noticeably longer for me.

Putting with them reminded me very much of the Duo. That weird, very soft feeling. It felt like a rubber ball. Very difficult for me to control the distance.

I'm probably not the best person to review these, since they don't fit me well but I thought I'd share anyway.

If you like those low compression (assuming it is) balls and like the Super Soft or Duo, I think you'll love this one. They also seemed to hold up well. I didn't see a mark on it through out 18 holes.
[/quote]very nice looking balls

[quote name='Hmmm13' timestamp='1424996513' post='11036011']
[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1413391659' post='10292849']
The golf pro at our club hooked us up with a sleeve of the Chrome Soft today.

I'm a big Chrome + fan and the first thing I would say is, these are two very different balls. The Chrome Soft is just that. Extremely soft. In the past I tried low compression balls and they didn't work well for me and these feel like that. I have no idea what the compression is on these.

Off the driver and irons, it FEELS like the ball is sticking to the face a bit. Mushy to me. But they performed better than those others I tried (DUO and Super Softs are the two I tried).

I also noticed a lower ball flight on all shots. I hit a high ball normally.

On 18, I was 91 yards out and hit a low wedge that landed 8' in front of the stick and released to a tap in. My Chrome + likely would have left me short. These do not bite as well for me. Chips from the rough ran out more than I used to.

I hit them side by side off the tee a few times and wasn't able to hit them close enough to each other to get a real distance gauge, but the Chrome + was noticeably longer for me.

Putting with them reminded me very much of the Duo. That weird, very soft feeling. It felt like a rubber ball. Very difficult for me to control the distance.

I'm probably not the best person to review these, since they don't fit me well but I thought I'd share anyway.

If you like those low compression (assuming it is) balls and like the Super Soft or Duo, I think you'll love this one. They also seemed to hold up well. I didn't see a mark on it through out 18 holes.
[/quote]very nice looking balls
[/quote]

If I had a nickel for every time I've heard that...

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png