2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1427399016' post='11222229']
[quote name='ode1' timestamp='1427315307' post='11215081']
I've hit it a few times on a sim and twice on course. Any concerns I had about it being a marshmallow have been alleviated....it's not firm, but not super soft either like a zip or duo or ??. Where I notice it being soft is off the putter, but it's not too bad, and I use a non insert putter. It's NE Wisc. and it's been in the 30, 40, 50's so I'll wait to give any distance/performance feedback until we get some better weather. So far, I like it!

Other random thoughts....re: distance control on the putter...not an issue, none, to me it puts normally, despite it feeling softer; durability = so/so, not bad, not great; I haven't noticed the edges of the dimples wearing like that of the original chrome.
[/quote]
I have found durability to be one of the most impressive qualities. I used to chew up chrome pluses badly, but the after about a dozen rounds I am yet to notice fish gills on a single ball. And I use i3 irons which have square grooves.
[/quote]

Good to hear!

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1426425016' post='11146375']
[quote name='NakMan' timestamp='1426276843' post='11137763']
Tried it a couple days ago and was disappointed in the distance. Was switching it between the Srixon Z-Star and B330s.

Hit the Z-Star 253 and 285 on back to back holes. Next two holes with Chrome soft 220 and 223. Both shots were dead straight so no hook or cut factored into distance loss.

Next hole with B330s, 265
[/quote]
I was initially concerned about distance cause it didn't FEEL long off driver cause of the softness, but after playing it for a month I can say it is definitely as long as any premium ball. I hit a drive on one hole this morning that is as long as I have been on that hole since I joined the club over 4 years ago. And since I am in my 40s you would almost expect a loss of distance just from getting older over that time, so the CS is at least as long as any ball I've used over the last four to five years. This is an amazing ball.
[/quote]

"[i]Sounds like someone has been hitting the kool aid a little too hard." :haha: [/i]

Well...here's my 2 cents. Just returned from the Arizona desert, where I got a chance to try the Chrome Soft. Verdict...very nice ball!
My driver swing speed is in the low 90's, and FWIW, I'm using a 13 degree SLDR driver. All well struck drives were nice high fades carrying ~225 yards, which is just about right for me, that last few years. The ball made a pleasing sound of the driver. Felt very nice off my mid irons (2011 TM TP CB. Spin? I can't see that far anymore. Off the short irons, I did see spin that I haven't seen in several, okay... many years. Ball seems to launch high, and land softly,
with 5-6 feet of backspin on a well struck sand wedge off firm fairways. My pitching and chipping early season technique was poor, so it's really not fair to speak to that aspect of the ball's performance. Off the putter, the ball felt nice and soft. So soft in fact, that I had to ditch my Nubbins putter, because the combination left me way short on most putts. Off my TM Spider, my distance was pretty much spot on.
So... all in all, I really enjoyed the ball. It kinda brought back memories of the old Callaway Rule 35 of days long past. I would recommend this ball to any ball aficionado.

The End

I loved the Chrome + since it came out. Tried the SR balls and found no reason to switch, especially at $15 more a dozen. Finally got out to play in NJ and first impressions are this ball is incredible. Best ball I've ever played for me.

Callaway Paradym 9* (N/+1) GD Tour AD DI 5/ Epic Speed 9* (N/+1) Ventus Red VeloCore 5
Callaway Epic Speed 15* 3wd Fubuki Ax f65 

Callaway Epic Max 18* 5wd Fubuki Ax f75  
Callaway Rogue ST Pro hybrid 23* KBS Prototype 75 or Apex UT 24* KBS Prototype 85
Callaway Mavrik Pro KBS TGI 6-PW 
Callaway MD3 46*/8* & 50*/10* 
Callaway Jaws Raw 54*/10*S & 58*/8*Z grind 
Odyssey Two Ball Ten Tour Lined Limited Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Flatso 1.0 or

Odyssey 5k Tri Hot #2 Stroke Lab SS Zenergy Pistol Tour

I have to hand it to Callaway, they are getting some serious traction on what was basically an senior players golf ball. As usual, Mickelson adds his marketing hype to the story for it to take off. Future generations of this golf ball may be interesting, but it's not for me.

----------------
Golf Jobs
Driver: Titleist TS3 9.5 w/ Tensei Blue 55 S
3W: Titleist 915F 15 w/ Diamana D+ 80 S
3H: Titleist 915H 21 w/ Diamana D+ 90 S
Irons: 4-GW Titleist T100 w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Wedge: Vokey SM8 54.10S TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Wedge: Vokey SM8 60.04L TC w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Ball: 2021 Titleist ProV1

spacer.png

Tested it the other day against my gamer (B330). I found three things to be true FOR ME (emphasis because sometimes people think this means a definitive statement for all involved, it's not) Little info about me - Scratch (.09 HCP) 114mph SS, generally between 1.49 and 1.46 smash. Now, onto what I found:
1. I couldn't feel it. Personally, I just couldn't. I've never felt a tour ball with so little feel at impact. Does have a pleasing muted sound, though.
2. I lost ball speed. Right around 2-4 MPH.
3. It didn't spin. At all. Raised my launch by about .5* (as expected when playing a softer core) but my 2100-2300 rpm with the B330 turned into 1600-1800 with the CS. I lost 11 yards of carry, and 5 yards overall.
Just not a good fit for me. I can see tons of people this ball would be beneficial for, I'm just not one of them.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='golfpros1' timestamp='1427661451' post='11240829']
I have to hand it to Callaway, they are getting some serious traction on what was basically an senior players golf ball. As usual, Mickelson adds his marketing hype to the story for it to take off. Future generations of this golf ball may be interesting, but it's not for me.
[/quote]
Phil the shill is the best plug man in tour.

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1427668779' post='11241509']
Tested it the other day against my gamer (B330). I found three things to be true FOR ME (emphasis because sometimes people think this means a definitive statement for all involved, it's not) Little info about me - Scratch (.09 HCP) 114mph SS, generally between 1.49 and 1.46 smash. Now, onto what I found:
1. I couldn't feel it. Personally, I just couldn't. I've never felt a tour ball with so little feel at impact. Does have a pleasing muted sound, though.
2. I lost ball speed. Right around 2-4 MPH.
3. It didn't spin. At all. Raised my launch by about .5* (as expected when playing a softer core) but my 2100-2300 rpm with the B330 turned into 1600-1800 with the CS. I lost 11 yards of carry, and 5 yards overall.
Just not a good fit for me. I can see tons of people this ball would be beneficial for, I'm just not one of them.
[/quote]
It would appear the soft isn't enough ball for you. You are in the rare minority with enough game to get the bemefits of a real tour ball, not surprising you would not like a ball tbat fits my low 100s ss. 114 is serious ss, you need a serious ball.

[quote name='jcorna01' timestamp='1427670011' post='11241651']
For those of you that have insert putters and abandoned the Supersoft do due feel problems like I did, what is your opinion on this ball? Is it better, or are you still having issues with speed?
[/quote]
I'm getting used to the speed. One thing for sure, I don't leave putts short anymore. It doesn't take a lot to get the ball to the hole anymore.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1427730561' post='11245315']
[quote name='jcorna01' timestamp='1427670011' post='11241651']
For those of you that have insert putters and abandoned the Supersoft do due feel problems like I did, what is your opinion on this ball? Is it better, or are you still having issues with speed?
[/quote]
I'm getting used to the speed. One thing for sure, I don't leave putts short anymore. It doesn't take a lot to get the ball to the hole anymore.
[/quote]
I've also noticed it's easier to get this ball rolling than other balls, which is a good thing for me as our greens seem to be permamemtly slow. Not sure if I'd like it as much on quicker greens.

Played my first round of the year today, condition were less than ideal 50* and steady 20+ mph winds. Played it alongside the Maxfli U/4. U4 was clicky and felt "hard" compared to the Chrome soft. Both balls had great spin around the greens.

What I have heard and read about the CS is true, feels soft off the driver and irons and makes NO sound off a putter. Much better control around the greens than the Supersoft of last year.

Was impressed enough that I can't wait to try it again under normal conditions. The U/4 might be okay, seems clicky though.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

Well I now have over 7 rounds playing the Chrome Soft. Today I played 9 holes after work and had enough time to hit the CS against a ProV1 and a B330RX on a few holes. Every time I hit off the tee with 2 balls, no matter which ball wet up against the CS, the CS was as long or longer than the other two. It was also about a half club to a full club longer off my irons from the fairway as well. I have really gotten used to putting it as well. It feels weird now to putt with anything that is not as soft as the CS. I didnt 3 putt any green today and had a couple of one putts for par and birdie. Overall I am really happy with this ball for me and my game. Will it work for everyone, maybe not, but for me it does great. I do want to try the higher compression CS when it comes out, but will stick with this ball for the foreseeable future. So much so that I ordered 10 dozen half white, half yellow from my course pro shop....lol.

Bill

Hi all!

Very late to this discussion and ball.
Looking to see if it would be a fit for me to pay money (lol) and try.

Been a Prov1 player for years. But those are 45-55 plus tax a box up here in the almost unfrozen great white north :(
[list]
[*]Hcp-6
[*]driver ss-95-99
[*]good short game..pitches, chipping, putting
[*]putter is a milled Golo5
[/list]

Understand for high swing speed players it's not a great fit. I'm far from that lol
My game is accuracy, fairways and a good short game.

FORE!!!

Callaway Rogue St Max (10.5) - Tensei Blue 55 s
Ping G425 5 wood (set @ 16.5*)- Alta CB 
Ping G425 7 wood (19*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 4 hybrid (22*) - Alta CB 

Ping G425 5 hybrid (26*) - Alta CB 

Srixon Z 785 irons A-8 / 585 mkll 7-6 irons  - Recoil SmacWrap 
Titleist SM8 54S, 58D
Bettinardi Inovai 6 spud neck 

Bridgestone Tour B RXS - yellow
“ 6.3 index and going down!!! 63 years old and going up!!!” Lol

[quote name='Forged5' timestamp='1427839584' post='11256075']
Hi all!

Very late to this discussion and ball.
Looking to see if it would be a fit for me to pay money (lol) and try.

Been a Prov1 player for years. But those are 45-55 plus tax a box up here in the almost unfrozen great white north :([list]
[*]Hcp-6
[*]driver ss-95-99
[*]good short game..pitches, chipping, putting
[*]putter is a milled Golo5
[/list]
Understand for high swing speed players it's not a great fit. I'm far from that lol
My game is accuracy, fairways and a good short game.

FORE!!!
[/quote]
You will have to try it, no one can decide whether it suits you other than you. People either love the ball or hate it. For me it didn't work, I have high SS (112) and it seems to fly all over the shop off the driver (for me) compared to my gamers Z Star XV and Chrome +. It also flew off the putter face too fast for my liking. Having said that though, I know heaps of players that absolutely love this ball. They say it has good reponse off the irons, good distance for slower SS, and nice feel. See if you can buy a sleeve first. You will know after one round whether the ball is for you.

I've been playing the Chrome for about a month now (8-10 rounds) and the ball is suiting me quite well. I see no distance difference than the ProV1x I was playing, and improved feel around the green. Putting with this ball is amazing, very buttery.

Paradym 10.5

Epic 3w 15

Callaway Apex UW 21*

Titelist T150

Callaway Jaws 5 50*, 54*

Cleve Zip 60*

Ping PLD3/Rahm Rossie S/TP Mills Fleetwood custom

Tired the Chrome Soft finally. A really good ball. I did not see any +1 iron gains as some have noted. It was on PAR with any other ball I have been playing, testing ( All 2015 models... Pro V1x, Pro V, TM X, B330s and Snell)

I have a friend that played it and he did gain yards but he is a slower swinger then I so it could helpful for many in that regards.

To me it seems the ball is excellent for mid and lower swing speeds. I am sure the lower compression is a big help. Seems very durable and spins pretty well. I

t was almost too soft though. Does not leave much feedback on the swing or putt. If your playing a firmer, lower level ball... hands down it is a good ball to play. If your playing a TOP ball already I would say it is a toss up to personal preference.

I will note it is VERY soft off the putter as a lot people note and it seems to POP off the face... it was hard to get a feel for honestly on the course. Would have to practice with it for a while to get used to it. I blasted putts a few feet past were the other balls I had good distance control. On really FAST greens this could be a hard ball to control as it seems to just pop off. I bet the reason Phil is playing one that has harder compression.

I've tried it and like it very much. I've got a slow SS (85-90) and definitely get more distance off the tee in cool / wet weather versus the RZN black, maybe another 10 yards of carry. I like its performance around the green as well, though maybe not quite as much as I like the ProV1 there. It's going to be my ball until the summer months when I'll reassess in those conditions.

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1428196335' post='11285413']
Tired the Chrome Soft finally. A really good ball. I did not see any +1 iron gains as some have noted. It was on PAR with any other ball I have been playing, testing ( All 2015 models... Pro V1x, Pro V, TM X, B330s and Snell)

I have a friend that played it and he did gain yards but he is a slower swinger then I so it could helpful for many in that regards.

To me it seems the ball is excellent for mid and lower swing speeds. I am sure the lower compression is a big help. Seems very durable and spins pretty well. I

t was almost too soft though. Does not leave much feedback on the swing or putt. If your playing a firmer, lower level ball... hands down it is a good ball to play. If your playing a TOP ball already I would say it is a toss up to personal preference.

I will note it is VERY soft off the putter as a lot people note and it seems to POP off the face... it was hard to get a feel for honestly on the course. Would have to practice with it for a while to get used to it. I blasted putts a few feet past were the other balls I had good distance control. On really FAST greens this could be a hard ball to control as it seems to just pop off. I bet the reason Phil is playing one that has harder compression.
[/quote]

Phil isn't playing a firmer compression CS. I was under that impression for a while, but there is only one CS on the conforming list, so it would be impossible.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1428203964' post='11286135']

[/quote]

Phil isn't playing a firmer compression CS. I was under that impression for a while, but there is only one CS on the conforming list, so it would be impossible.
[/quote]

Interesting. Probably the reason he went back to the blade putter in the last few weeks. Easier to control.

I was all in on these but after a few rounds I've returned the 2 dozen I purchased and went back to the C+ (and saved $7 a box). The main factor for me is the green side performance. The courses I usually play have hilly green complexes with some severely sloped greens and I need a ball that I can stop quickly. The soft is a few hops and role where the C+ is drop and stop. I may go back and buy all the C+ the shop had as this is the second year Callaway has failed to exceed the C+, especially at that price.

Is anyone finding the CS to be shorter in colder weather than expected? I have played it three times in 48-60* weather and found it to be shorter than expected off a driver. My SS is about 103 with a driver and when I thought I had connected with one, I found it wasn't 'out there' as far as I thought it would be. I love the ball around the greens and am fairly satisfied off the irons. I'm just not sure about the driver distance.

I'm still trying it, but not completely sold yet.

Titleist TSR3 9.25* Tensei 1K Black 65S 45.75"
Titleist TSR2 16.5 Tensei 1K Black 75S 43.25"
Titleist TSR3 19* Tensei 1K Black 75S 42.75" 
Titleist TSR3 3H 19* Tensei 1kB Black 85s 40.5"
Fourteen TC 920 5-PW Project X LZ 6.0
Fourteen DJ-4 48* Project X IO 6.0
Fourteen DJ-5 54* Project X IO 6.0

Fourteen DJ-4 58* Project X IO 6.0
2023 Odyssey Jailbird MH 39"  
2023 Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1428208926' post='11286515']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Interesting. Probably the reason he went back to the blade putter in the last few weeks. Easier to control.
[/quote]

Maybe. He has a very long, smooth putting stroke. Short, poppy strokes don't suit the CS at all.

[quote name='DaveyGolf' timestamp='1428378537' post='11300417']
[quote name='Chile Dip Master' timestamp='1428208926' post='11286515']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Maybe. He has a very long, smooth putting stroke. Short, poppy strokes don't suit the CS at all.
[/quote]

Heard Dennis Paulson on PGA Tour Radio state he played with Phil and he is using a different version of the CS. This was within the last few weeks to a month.

Titleist TSR3 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6X

Taylormade Stealth 2 15* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Callaway Apex UW 19* - Ventus TR Blue 8X

Srixon ZX Utility 4i - Axiom 105X

Titleist T100 5-PW KBS Tour 130X
Titleist Vokey SM9 Raw 50/56/60 - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Circle T Tour Rat Newport

[quote name='Judge440' timestamp='1428381085' post='11300639']

Heard Dennis Paulson on PGA Tour Radio state he played with Phil and he is using a different version of the CS. This was within the last few weeks to a month.
[/quote]
His is about 10 compression points higher than the retail version.

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1428422646' post='11303189'][quote name='Judge440' timestamp='1428381085' post='11300639']

[/quote]
His is about 10 compression points higher than the retail version.[/quote]

I keep seeing this but there are only 2 versions of the Chrome Soft on the USGA conforming list. He is either playing the retail 3-piece or the tour only 4-piece which may be what the higher compression comment may be referring to, but there is not an approved higher compression 3-piece as the comment would imply.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1428429894' post='11304355']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1428422646' post='11303189'][quote name='Judge440' timestamp='1428381085' post='11300639']
[/quote]
His is about 10 compression points higher than the retail version.[/quote]

I keep seeing this but there are only 2 versions of the Chrome Soft on the USGA conforming list. He is either playing the retail 3-piece or the tour only 4-piece which may be what the higher compression comment may be referring to, but there is not an approved higher compression 3-piece as the comment would imply.
[/quote]
Now up to 4 versions of the Chrome Soft. Here is the crazy thing... 15! 15! versions of the SR3.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS