2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1439841878' post='12156260']
I know this isn't the place for this, but I'm making a ball change away from The CS and C+. I'm not sure how many new and AAAA CS I have, but I have a TON of new and AAAA C+ that I need to sell (all in yellow)...PM ME!
[/quote]

Wish you werent in the States, because I play the Chrome Soft in yellow and would buy them in a heartbeat.

My original reason for coming here was to give another note on this ball - I have decent success with my drives(not as nice as Chrome +), all my other shots are great ... except chipping. Around the green, this ball rolls hard for me. Its actually quite annoying. The Chrome + and Chrome would slow down nice or check up fast, the Chrome Soft just keeps rolling and rolling. Lost some strokes again today chipping. I hope these new Chromes that are supposed to be released in the fall are a real thing, because I would love to get my hands on them.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I picked up a dozen of these in part because I wanted to try the ball, and also because I wanted to see if a yellow ball would help me see it better. The yellow certainly is more noticeable. The ball itself I'm mixed on. I really liked it off the irons, and around the greens chipping. Had a lot of great spin, and I could really control it 100 yards and in. Off the tee however it really ballooned and I got very little roll out in the fairway. I'm going to give it another shot this weekend because the conditions were wet this weekend and that certainly will have an effect on the roll out, but comparing it side by side with the RZN black I still got decent roll out with that.

Callaway Epic
TaylorMade M2 2016 3HL, 5HL Wood
Ping G20 23º hybrid
TaylorMade M2 Tour 5-PW
Callaway MD2 52º, 56º, 60º
Odyssey White Hot Rx 2-Ball

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I just picked up a dozen and only got to practice my chipping around the green and I really like it. Soft, plenty of byte and great price. I can't wait to use it out on the course.

Driver - Callaway Rogue
3w - Callaway Rogue
5w - Callaway Rogue
Irons (GW - 4i) - Callaway Rogue
Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport
Wedges Callaway Mack Daddy 4 - 54 and 60 degrees

I have been using them for a year now and can't be happier. For me, being a teen handicapper, I cant say much about feel on irons, but I love the feel and sound off the wedges and putter. I feel like the price is low enough for me to not be too upset when I lose a ball, but the quality is high enough for me to feel like I am getting a really good ball. They roll well and stick even better and very durable.

I will warn guys with putters that have an insert. I used them with a Tel3 (when I had it) and I just felt it was too soft on the greens.

[quote name='Sunster' timestamp='1439315884' post='12117768']
Big fan of the Chrome soft, but I'm getting just as good results with the Srixon q-star...which are about half the price and more durable
[/quote]

yup

Callaway Alpha 815-Project X
Callaway Alpha 815-speeder
Callaway Alpha 815 19*-speeder
Adams CMB
Cleveland RTX 2.0

Found a ball called Nike Vapor Black and played it side by side vs the Chrome SOft.... Vapor was longer off driver and irons by a bit .... 1 club at least but the CS is so much better on greens and into greens for me vs almost anything other than Pro V1x or TM TPx and Pro V1.. all round great ball... may be worse for those with > 105 mph Driver SS

newbie to the callaway ball market..... which ball compares to the prov 1x and nike rzn black?

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Speed regime #2 imo due to being a touch softer (2015prov1x) otherwise the #3.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1447975620' post='12621468']
newbie to the callaway ball market..... which ball compares to the prov 1x and nike rzn black?
[/quote]
SR3 or Chrome Speed should give you comparable results.

Callaway Mavrick Sub Zero 9* / Aldila Rip'd NV 65X
Taylormade SLDR 15* / Aldila Copper XTorsion 70X
Yonix Ezone 18* / UST Mayiama V2 75 X
Adams Super 9031  20* & 23* Hybrid / Aldila NV 85X
Maltby TS2 5 & 6 / Project X 6.0
Maltby TS1 7-P  / Project X 6.0 
Callaway JAWS MD5 Raw 52* & 58* / Project X 6.0
Taylormade Tour Issue Manta Ray / 32.5"
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS

[quote name='gprointraining' timestamp='1447979969' post='12621768']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1447975620' post='12621468']
[/quote]
SR3 or Chrome Speed should give you comparable results.
[/quote]

thanks! I have a gift card to dicks...going to give those a try....

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

I tried the SuperSoft and the distance was terribly random off the short irons. Some would look great in the air but fly 10-20 yards longer than they should've so that experiment didn't last long. Also zero spin.

That said I've been using the Chrome Soft for a couple months and I really like it. Not sure why some compare it to the SuperSoft because they're two completely different balls and nothing alike besides the Callaway stamp. Feels great, good distance, and plenty of bite. I like Pro Vs as well but they spin more than I would like. It's cool zipping one back a mile until you get to the green and see a shot that could be inside 10 feet is now about 20. If I had to compare the Chrome Soft to another ball it would probably be the 330 RXS.

[quote name='playa' timestamp='1448197002' post='12630562']
[quote name='vangator1' timestamp='1448163031' post='12629972']
I won't play the Chrome Soft again. Doesn't feel good off the driver and unpredictable for me with the irons.
[/quote]
Chrome soft is unpredictable for me off the irons too, but then so is any other ball so I'm not blaming the ball.
[/quote]

I didn't notice anything special with the driver. In fact, there are longer balls out there. I like a little more feedback. But, I did notice a gain with the irons. I had 13 GIR through the first 16 holes but could not make a putt. Zero birdies, very frustrating bumpy greens, so I decided to finish the last two holes with the Callaway Chrome Soft. I know the yardages with my current irons, but on 17 and 18 I air mailed the green badly causing bogeys. I wanted to see how the ball reacted on approach shots, but couldn't do it. I couldn't even see how the comeback shots reacted since I was well below the green surface. Both were within 15 feet but of course I missed the putts.

So, for me, I won't be able to switch between balls unless I do a lot of recalibration and practice. I hit them in previous rounds and experience similar results. I recall that they didn't check as well as others on the greens. I thought I'd try them out again to make sure. I'm now sure. Since I think there are better balls out there that react predictably (for me), I'm going to pass. But, for those that are looking for a little more with their irons, they may like to check these out. It's not that it's a bad ball, just not for me. Maybe if I have an extended layoff and have to recalibrate anyway, I might start with these.

• 1 month later...

Anybody tried the new trial samples of the 2016 Chrome Soft?

Here are a couple photos... the one with the green line is from my shag bag and is the 2015 (notice the dot between 'chrome' and 'soft') and the 2016 (notice the two dots after 'soft').

Quick review: if I had to guess I'd say the compression went up slightly and the cover is softer. I played 9 with one yesterday and the cover is definitely less durable, overall seemed maybe a tad shorter with all clubs, and it spins like mad!

Oops, photobucket is acting up, so I'll upload pics later.

[quote name='Matt J' timestamp='1451594146' post='12785496']

Here are a couple photos... the one with the green line is from my shag bag and is the 2015 (notice the dot between 'chrome' and 'soft') and the 2016 (notice the two dots after 'soft').

Quick review: if I had to guess I'd say the compression went up slightly and the cover is softer. I played 9 with one yesterday and the cover is definitely less durable, overall seemed maybe a tad shorter with all clubs, and it spins like mad!

[/quote]

WOW!! I ordered some a couple weeks ago and they sent me the older version. I dont think it matters much for me, but interesting to know

[quote name='lever2ooo' timestamp='1451682832' post='12789434']

[/quote]

WOW!! I ordered some a couple weeks ago and they sent me the older version. I dont think it matters much for me, but interesting to know
[/quote]

The new ones haven't been released yet.

Mark - Havin fun in the AZ sun

• Driver - Callaway Rogue 10.5* Aldila Synergy Reg
  • 4W - Callaway Rogue 15* Aldila Quaranta Reg
  • 4H - Callaway Mavrik Max 21* Project X Catalyst Reg
  • Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW UST Recoil 780 | F4 SMACWRAP Stiff
  • GW - Titleist Vokey 50*
  • SW - Titleist Vokey 54*
  • LW - Titleist Vokey 58*
  • Putter - Taylormade Spider Tour Black
  • Grips - Golf Pride Tour Velvet 360

[quote name='YMark' timestamp='1451689992' post='12789802'][quote name='lever2ooo' timestamp='1451682832' post='12789434']

[/quote]

[/quote]

The new ones haven't been released yet.[/quote]

I have 2 sleeves of the new 2016 ones, still in the white box, but won't get them out until Feb in Nevada.

old ball is three piece 65 compression with urethane cover, new one is 4 piece ball , 69-72 compression with urethane cover.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1451775737' post='12793422']old ball is three piece 65 compression with urethane cover, new one is 4 piece ball , 69-72 compression with urethane cover.[/quote]

Nice! So it's pretty close to the ball Phil was using last year?

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

[quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1451776032' post='12793442']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1451775737' post='12793422']old ball is three piece 65 compression with urethane cover, new one is 4 piece ball , 69-72 compression with urethane cover.[/quote]

[/quote]

I believe it was split about 50/50 with the pro's using Chrome Soft, some 2015 and some 2016. both are such great balls!!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1451784467' post='12793980'][quote name='Holy Moses' timestamp='1451776032' post='12793442']

[/quote]

I believe it was split about 50/50 with the pro's using Chrome Soft, some 2015 and some 2016. both are such great balls!![/quote]

50/50 huh...sometimes on the very same hole!

I love to putt and chip with them, but they just launched too high for me. Looking forward to the '16 model.

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

My understanding is that the 2016 Chrome Soft is the exact spec ball that Phil and Gary Woodland were using last year.

I've been playing some Chrome Soft X balls that I got hold of and was told the only difference in the X is that it spins less on wedges. The X version will NOT be coming to retail, though.

If it's true that the ball coming to retail has more short game spin than the X, then it is going to be REALLY good. For me, the new versions are that little bit firmer than the original, which I found to be too soft.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='bcflyguy1' timestamp='1451787888' post='12794204']
My understanding is that the 2016 Chrome Soft is the exact spec ball that Phil and Gary Woodland were using last year.

I've been playing some Chrome Soft X balls that I got hold of and was told the only difference in the X is that it spins less on wedges. The X version will NOT be coming to retail, though.

If it's true that the ball coming to retail has more short game spin than the X, then it is going to be REALLY good. For me, the new versions are that little bit firmer than the original, which I found to be too soft.
[/quote]

New one does spin more into and around the greens. vs the 2015 Chrome Soft.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Man, just when I thought I was settled on a ball. I really like the chrome soft, my favorite current ball. But, as good as it is, it may be a touch too soft of driver to be a perfect ball. A 4 piece slightly firmer version of the chrome soft sounds even better than the current 3 piece. I was all set to stock up big on chrome softs when the new ball came out, but looks like I will haave to give the 2016 a demo first, just in case.