2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

CS and I today had a permanent break up... hit more GIR than ever b4 on my first 18 playing CS and did not sink a putt

Played another 18 holes with my TPx.... goodbye Callie... I was rolling putts way past every hole, hitting through breaks yada yada

just cannot get used to the feel off the short stick... sad cause it is a nice ball

I think Callaway screwed up changing this ball too much. They should have left it on the market for another year without changing it.

The new ball isn't even soft enough IMO to warrant being called "soft." The cover durability was great on the 2015 ball, nearly as good as Titleist ProV1X, and they changed that to get the "green side spin." Now the new one spins too much on the short irons, cuts up like a balata, and doesn't have that signature marshmellow feel off the driver and putter.

I would have played the 2015 ball in colder temps going into the spring, but can't say the new one is worth the money to me.

I think Callaway screwed up changing this ball too much. They should have left it on the market for another year without changing it.

The new ball isn't even soft enough IMO to warrant being called "soft." The cover durability was great on the 2015 ball, nearly as good as Titleist ProV1X, and they changed that to get the "green side spin." Now the new one spins too much on the short irons, cuts up like a balata, and doesn't have that signature marshmellow feel off the driver and putter.

I would have played the 2015 ball in colder temps going into the spring, but can't say the new one is worth the money to me.

I think the answer is to make both

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Has anyone seen the 2015 come down in price? The 2016's are in golf galaxy

awesome news!!! That means my shop will have them Monday morning when we dig out of the snopacolypse...... cant wait....I have about worn out the ones I had from sample boxes hitting wedges at home....

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Titleist MB 3-pw modus 130x 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone compared the new soft to the chrome speed that MG golf is selling?

Titleist 915 D3 8.5* W/ Fujikura Speeder Pro74, set at A1
Titleist 915 FD 15* W/ Diamana 70 Whiteboard, set A1
Mizuno MP4 3-P W/ Nippon Modus3 130X
Mizuno T5 50*, 54*, 58* 50 & 54 with Modus 130x and 58 with Modus wedge 125x
Byron Morgan 006 GSS

Has anyone compared the new soft to the chrome speed that MG golf is selling?

Chrome Speed is much firmer - feels more like the Chrome+.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Golfsmith has them discounted too:

2015 version @ $31.99

2016 version @ $39.99

As mentioned above, the packaging is nearly identical. Just grabbing a box its hard to tell which version you're holding.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

Here's the difference in the side stamp.

review16comparestamps.jpg

The new 2016 box has "new and improved" in the upper left corner, and DUAL soft fast core.

balls-2016-chrome-soft____1.png?sfrm=png&sw=600

Old box for reference

Callaway-Golf-Chrome-Soft-Golf-Balls-2015-Model_Default_ALT5_550.jpeg

PXG Bat Attack H

When the packaging and ball graphics are that similar, I doubt most golfers will ever know/realize there are two versions.

Callaway Rouge ST Max LS 10.5* Ventus Blue 6S
Callaway XHP 15* AD DI 7s
Callaway Apex UW 19* AD DI 7S

Ping Icrossover 4 Kai'li White 80s
Ping S55 Nippon Modus 120x
Ping Glide 50*, 54*, 58*
Byron Morgan DH89

Snell MTB-X or Titleist ProV1

Has anyone seen the 2015 come down in price? The 2016's are in golf galaxy

I was in Golf Galaxy today and the new CS were $40 and last years were $35. Its confusing because the boxes are identical with the exception of "New" in the corner.

Dick's, which is essentially the same had a 2015 sticker in the corner the other day. Both have "New" in the corner but the 2016 has "New and improved". Fwiw Academy had the 2015 balls for $29.99

• 2 months later...

I finally played the 2016 Chrome Soft today and wanted to do a review. I didn't really like the 2015 Chrome Soft (I'll get into the reasons in my review), but I thought with the changes I might like the newer version. So here goes:

My "main" ball is either a ProV1 or a Cally Hex Black. I love the Hex Black but they stopped making it, and I hated the SR2/3, so I switched to V1. But then the CS got so much love I wanted to give it a try. Also, I'd say I want to have a summer / spring / fall ball, and a winter ball. So with all of that in mind, I'll compare the CS16 to V1, CS15, and the Wilson Duo.

Driver distance: I find that the V1 is the longest for me (and NXT Tour and Hex Black are long too), and the CS16 is next, followed by Duo and then CS15 (one of the reasons I didn't like CS15...felt it ballooned off the driver).

Iron Distance: Probably a tie with CS16 and V1 (and NXT / Hex Black)...and Duo close behind. Again, the CS15 ballooned for me.

Wedge spin: this category isn't even close...the Hex Black and V1 are the best in this category for me...and a distant follower would be all of the CS15/16 and Duo...I couldn't tell much difference between these 3, but they were far inferior to V1 / Hex Black for me. NXT Tour is OK in this category...not great, but OK.

Putter feel: I like the feel of the CS16 the best, but I found it too hot off the putter. The V1 is also nice and soft and seems more consistent on distance control. I like the feel of the Duo and CS15 as well, but similar issues with the CS15 as with the CS16.

Summary: I just don't see any way that the CS16 will replace the V1 for me, even at $8 cheaper per dozen. If I wanted to go cheaper I would go NXT Tour...it spins better IMO and is a long ball. So for summer / fall / spring, I'm staying with V1. For a winter ball, again, I can't see any advantage to the CS16 over the Duo, especially if I can get the Duo in a Urethane version (and cheaper).

Also as a side note, I tested the Truvis (yellow / black version) of the CS16, and I kinda like the Truvis, except that I didn't notice that the ball was any "bigger" seeming, nor did it improve my "focus". And frankly, all of the hexagons made it harder for me to line up my putts. But I could definitely see the ball in the air better, and could see it from a mile away wherever it sat. So if I were to get these again (probably won't), I would likely get the Truvis version.

• 1 month later...

I haven't read all of this long thread, and I haven't actually tried the Chrome Soft, but I was just looking on the Callaway site at their current balls.

Where are the successors to the Tour i(x) and i(z)? The Chrome+? Is the Chrome Soft the new version of the Tour i(s)?

Why is everything "soft" at Callaway right now? Is there some new higher compression Tour ball coming next?

• 2 weeks later...

I haven't read all of this long thread, and I haven't actually tried the Chrome Soft, but I was just looking on the Callaway site at their current balls.

Where are the successors to the Tour i(x) and i(z)? The Chrome+? Is the Chrome Soft the new version of the Tour i(s)?

Why is everything "soft" at Callaway right now? Is there some new higher compression Tour ball coming next?

If you want a higher compression tour ball from Callaway, look at their SR2 or SR3 models.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik Max 10.5* Riptide Regular
Wood: Adams Tight Lies 4w 16* Stiff
Hybrid: Adams Tight Lies 2 4h 22* Stiff
Irons: Sub70 699u 5i/6i, 699 7-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD2 52* Tour Grind, Callaway MD2 58* Tour Grind
Putter: Odyssey Stroke Labs #10

If you want a higher compression tour ball from Callaway, look at their SR2 or SR3 models.

MG has the SR3 for $19.95 per dozen.

PXG Bat Attack H

I finally played the 2016 Chrome Soft today and wanted to do a review. I didn't really like the 2015 Chrome Soft (I'll get into the reasons in my review), but I thought with the changes I might like the newer version. So here goes:

My "main" ball is either a ProV1 or a Cally Hex Black. I love the Hex Black but they stopped making it, and I hated the SR2/3, so I switched to V1. But then the CS got so much love I wanted to give it a try. Also, I'd say I want to have a summer / spring / fall ball, and a winter ball. So with all of that in mind, I'll compare the CS16 to V1, CS15, and the Wilson Duo.

Driver distance: I find that the V1 is the longest for me (and NXT Tour and Hex Black are long too), and the CS16 is next, followed by Duo and then CS15 (one of the reasons I didn't like CS15...felt it ballooned off the driver).

Iron Distance: Probably a tie with CS16 and V1 (and NXT / Hex Black)...and Duo close behind. Again, the CS15 ballooned for me.

Wedge spin: this category isn't even close...the Hex Black and V1 are the best in this category for me...and a distant follower would be all of the CS15/16 and Duo...I couldn't tell much difference between these 3, but they were far inferior to V1 / Hex Black for me. NXT Tour is OK in this category...not great, but OK.

Putter feel: I like the feel of the CS16 the best, but I found it too hot off the putter. The V1 is also nice and soft and seems more consistent on distance control. I like the feel of the Duo and CS15 as well, but similar issues with the CS15 as with the CS16.

Summary: I just don't see any way that the CS16 will replace the V1 for me, even at $8 cheaper per dozen. If I wanted to go cheaper I would go NXT Tour...it spins better IMO and is a long ball. So for summer / fall / spring, I'm staying with V1. For a winter ball, again, I can't see any advantage to the CS16 over the Duo, especially if I can get the Duo in a Urethane version (and cheaper).

Also as a side note, I tested the Truvis (yellow / black version) of the CS16, and I kinda like the Truvis, except that I didn't notice that the ball was any "bigger" seeming, nor did it improve my "focus". And frankly, all of the hexagons made it harder for me to line up my putts. But I could definitely see the ball in the air better, and could see it from a mile away wherever it sat. So if I were to get these again (probably won't), I would likely get the Truvis version.

Wow you sure play a range of balls, Duo to ProV to Hex Black to NXT...wide range of construction, covers, compression....merely an observation

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year

Last year I tried the Chrome Soft and did not like it. I found it spun too much off the tee and I did not like it off the short irons. On and around the greens...Wow. It is a little lively but it checked really nice and putted so well.

This years Chrome Soft- Love it! Love the optic options (yellow and Truvis) and the extra layer for me has made a big difference off the tee. After today's round, I am pretty sure that I will be switching. Spins a little less off the tee and better control off the short irons. Still a little lively around the green but it still performed pretty well for me today. I need another round to be sure but this year's version to me is hands down superior.

Driver: PING G410 LST, Ping Tour 65X

3 Wood: PING G400, Project x EvenFlow Blue 75 6.5

3 Hybrid: PING G410, Ping Tour 85 X

Irons: Mizuno MP-5 (4-PW), Dynamic Gold X100

Wedges: PING Glide (50SS, 54WS, 58ES), Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2.5

Ball: Taylormade TP5 (Pix or Yellow)

Got first experience with the new 4 piece CS yesterday.

Nice yet subtle improvements over original, what I liked best was not as spinny with short irons and around greens. Added a few yards off tee, great feel, and more durable than the 3 piece.

I'm sold, ordered 6 dozen yellow off the Bay at a great price. My leftover 3 piece are saved for winter time slog fests.

2015 GBB 10.5 - MRC B Series 60S 44.75"
RFX 3 & 5 Woods MRC BB 73
RFX 7 Wood Matrix Black Tie 7M3
XHot Pro Hybrid 23 Accra Shaft
Apex Pro 5-W KBS Tour V or Recoil 110 S-flex (Recoil for Winter Season)
Odyssey WhiteHot Pro #7 Flatso Ultra grip
X Forged C Grind 52*
PM Grind 58* KBS 610 Wedge
Chrome Soft 2016 Yellow
Hdcp - between 3 to 5 over the year