2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

The golf pro at our club hooked us up with a sleeve of the Chrome Soft today.

I'm a big Chrome + fan and the first thing I would say is, these are two very different balls. The Chrome Soft is just that. Extremely soft. In the past I tried low compression balls and they didn't work well for me and these feel like that. I have no idea what the compression is on these.

Off the driver and irons, it FEELS like the ball is sticking to the face a bit. Mushy to me. But they performed better than those others I tried (DUO and Super Softs are the two I tried).

I also noticed a lower ball flight on all shots. I hit a high ball normally.

On 18, I was 91 yards out and hit a low wedge that landed 8' in front of the stick and released to a tap in. My Chrome + likely would have left me short. These do not bite as well for me. Chips from the rough ran out more than I used to.

I hit them side by side off the tee a few times and wasn't able to hit them close enough to each other to get a real distance gauge, but the Chrome + was noticeably longer for me.

Putting with them reminded me very much of the Duo. That weird, very soft feeling. It felt like a rubber ball. Very difficult for me to control the distance.

I'm probably not the best person to review these, since they don't fit me well but I thought I'd share anyway.

If you like those low compression (assuming it is) balls and like the Super Soft or Duo, I think you'll love this one. They also seemed to hold up well. I didn't see a mark on it through out 18 holes.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That was my next question. Urethane ?
Simple scratch test with fingernail should be able to determine that.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

I'm happy to hear that these are out (first I've heard). But for the love of gawd, Callaway, what are you doing with the marketing of your balls? You had the Chrome line, which I assume was a pretty big hit based on the number of people who played them (both on WRX and in the "real world"). You discontinue that and replace it with the Speed Regime series (bad name or worst name ever) and then are now bringing back the Chrome series but with naming convention that makes it sound like a cheap surlyn ball. All within about 12 months. Is the Supersoft going away now too? I can't imagine that the Chrome Soft and Supersoft can coexist from a marketing standpoint. What about the SR2 and the Chrome?

Maybe that's why I don't get paid the big bucks, but I just don't get it. I love Callaway balls, but I'd like to know from one year to another that I'm going to get the (within reason) same thing. Why can Bridgestone, Srixon and Titleist do it, but Callaway and Taylor Made can't figure it out?

[quote name='dbleag' timestamp='1413394463' post='10293209']
I liked the HEX Chrome+.

I was told that Cally is coming out with Chrome Soft and Chrome Speed. [b]I guess Chrome Speed will be the one to replace the Chrome+ for me[/b].
[/quote]
This is the hope. I have a BUNCH of C+ balls just in case the zombie hoard comes and buys them all up!

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

Agreed with post from ScottAZ on all points - since I tested the ball with him today as well. I was ready to give up on the ball after the first 3 shots on the first hole - but then I hit a putt from off the green and it just kepty on rolling and dove into the hole for an unexpected par. Sooooo... I kept playing it... and it started to grow on me a little - but I couldn't get past the feel of the ball off the putter. At times it felt like it sprung off the face so it left me scared when facing a putt with a break in it. Interestingly I just bought a dozen X2Hot+ balls this weekend because Dicks was out of the Chrome +'s - ugh!!! I was surprised how much I liked the X2Hot+ balls. They are a little harder feeling off the driver and the irons then the Chrome+'s but they felt nearly the same off the putter... and I like the $28 per dozen price. It may be my new replacement once all the chrome+'s on this planet are gone forever. Yup - I'm part of the zombie hoard buying them up!

Speed Regime aren't selling at all around here. SS and the Hot line have been solid.

I got a sleeve of these given to me today at the pro shop and plan to play them tomorrow afternoon. Will post my thoughts.

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

[quote name='Marengo' timestamp='1413651505' post='10310051']
Is this their way of jacking up prices? I am just curious to see if they saw how popular the supersoft was and maybe thought they made a mistake only selling them for $20. Will they discontinue the SS and only have the chrome soft at a higher price?
[/quote]

They just might. But it would be a huge mistake. Sometimes companies just can't leave well enough alone.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

I played 18 today exclusively with the Chrome Soft. I was told its a 4 piece and it's obviously urethane. Was high 40s with wind and light rain that ended just before tee time.

I'll be honest I really wasnt expecting much. Didn't care a lot of the Super Soft--felt like a Super Ball to me--too springy and felt like I was hitting flyers with my irons a lot of times. Canned it after playing a sleeve. Didn't like the SR lineup much either. I normally play the firmer version of a company's tour ball, be it the V1x, XV, TPX, etc. but I've always been receptive to trying a softer ball that gives similar performance.

I've tried about everything out there, even recently tried the new FG Tour, and while it is pretty soft it feels a bit dead to me. Hard to explain. Been playing the Q Star with spin skin since it has been cooler and with all the rain the greens (and everything else) are plenty soft enough to use this type of ball. Has a nice soft feel and performs well tee to green.

My biggest problem with most of the new wave of soft mid range to premium balls is that they just feel too "light" or mushy and vague at impact. But I must say that from the first iron shot I hit today I was in love with this ball. Hard to explain, but it has this dense and powerful "smoked it" feeling at impact, very much like puring a V1x with a blade. The kind of feeling that makes you want to hold the finish a little longer than you probably should.

Conditions were garbage today. Tee shots were plugging in the fairway, wind was blowing, it was cold, but as expected from a Cally ball it held its line great in the wind. Hard to tell distance with conditions but seemed on par with normal carry distances I see on home course. No ballooning into the wind or anything abnormal from that standpoint. And it definitely spins off the short irons. With the greens being so soft right now I had a couple approach and par 3 tee shots suck back much more than I'd have preferred. (That's partly why I've been playing the Q Star lately as we've been abnormally wet and cool)

As I said before I have tried about everything but can't ever recall being this excited about a first round with a new ball, something I was given in a plain white sleeve out of the blue just to try. I really think that for a lot of people this ball is going to be something special, much as the SS has been for many people. It just seems to be more...forgiving...if that makes any sense. I was told it was supposed to retail in the mid to high $30s. Kinda makes me wish I didn't have a whole slug of Srixons sitting here to be honest--then again who knows when this thing will even be available at retail. Probably when snow is a** deep in northern illinois!

ONOFF Labospec 358 — Tour AD TP6
Titleist TS2 16.5* — Kuro Kage XM 80
Justick Proceed 21* UT — Nippon GOST 
Mizuno MP-20 HMB/MB— MITSUBISHI MMT 105/125
Mizuno T20 50* and 55* — MITSUBISHI MMT 125
Seven ST 61* Black Boron — MCI Black 125 “mild”
Epon Ltd Edition I-33 — Matrix PZ-125 Shaft 

Wonder if it will come in yellow ?

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

This ball is amazingly soft. Think SuperSoft but without the bouncy ball jump off the face. Given Callaway's history of good performing but terrible feeling balls, this was a good year for them.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

• 3 weeks later...

Just to put silliness to rest.... The supersoft us a 2 piece surlyn cover (trionimer, ionimer,same thing), the Chrome soft has a mantle around the core=3 piece, Urethane cover (tour grade). Trust me, just go hit them when they hit the shelves in January! At the price, and moderate compression rating, it's a win. Wait till you see what ball LEFTY is bagging now! YUP, you heard it here first....

Srixon Z-Star 10.5 Myazaki Dromos Stiff
Titleist 915 F2 fairways Stiff
Srixon I-701 3-pw KBS C-taper stiff
Bridgestone TD-03 putter
B330-RX / Srixon Z-Star
Mack Daddy wedges

Anyone know when they are being released?

LEFT HANDED

Titleist TSR2 with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1413399067' post='10293817']
I liked the HEX Chrome+.

I was told that Cally is coming out with Chrome Soft and Chrome Speed. [b]I guess Chrome Speed will be the one to replace the Chrome+ for me[/b].
[/quote]
This is the hope. I have a BUNCH of C+ balls just in case the zombie hoard comes and buys them all up!
[/quote]

From a Callaway staffer, the Chrome Speed (might have been Soft but I recall Speed) will not be coming to market and the Hex Chrome + will be staying for another year. From my viewpoint, that is the best news ever to still have the Chrome + for another year. Also, the new balls are expected in January.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1416095144' post='10452995']
I liked the HEX Chrome+.

[/quote]
[/quote]

From a Callaway staffer, the Chrome Speed (might have been Soft but I recall Speed) will not be coming to market and [u][b]the Hex Chrome + will be staying for another year[/b][/u]. From my viewpoint, that is the best news ever to still have the Chrome + for another year. Also, the new balls are expected in January.
[/quote]

This IS very good news for sure. I do wonder though if it will be the exact same ball though. Since they were sold at discontinued prices, they were being phased out, and with new balls coming I wonder if a "slightly different" version of the Chrome + will be available.....maybe just the name will be available for another year?

I hope it is the original Chrome +, as it is my favorite ball for the $$ to date.

[quote name='Spooky67' timestamp='1416099207' post='10453339']
I liked the HEX Chrome+.

[/quote]
[/quote]

From a Callaway staffer, the Chrome Speed (might have been Soft but I recall Speed) will not be coming to market and [u][b]the Hex Chrome + will be staying for another year[/b][/u]. From my viewpoint, that is the best news ever to still have the Chrome + for another year. Also, the new balls are expected in January.
[/quote]

This IS very good news for sure. I do wonder though if it will be the exact same ball though. Since they were sold at discontinued prices, they were being phased out, and with new balls coming I wonder if a "slightly different" version of the Chrome + will be available.....maybe just the name will be available for another year?

I hope it is the original Chrome +, as it is my favorite ball for the $$ to date.
[/quote]

"Good news, everyone!" (couldn't pass up a Futurama reference) Supposed to be the same exact ball.

[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1416100915' post='10453499']I liked the chrome+. You can't beat it for the price. I liked the SR2 also, it's just not a 47 dollar/dozen ball. There's only one company that can get away with that price point, and it's not Callaway.[/quote]
And I'm not totally even sure THEY can totally get away with it!

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1416103788' post='10453719']
[quote name='Par Fore' timestamp='1416100915' post='10453499']I liked the chrome+. You can't beat it for the price. I liked the SR2 also, it's just not a 47 dollar/dozen ball. There's only one company that can get away with that price point, and it's not Callaway.[/quote]
And I'm not totally even sure THEY can totally get away with it!
[/quote]

I agree... there is just no way Nike is worth $47.99 a dozen. :)
(RELAX all you Titliest Pro V1(x) fanboys... NONE of them are worth $47.99 a dozen)

[quote name='Spooky67' timestamp='1416099207' post='10453339']
I liked the HEX Chrome+.

[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]
Wonder why they have been discontinued in Australia? I would love to have them on the shelves here for another year. It really blows not being able to find any.

Chrome + is no longer being produced Chrome Soft will be the new series ball to continue the line.

I've been playing off and on with this and the new ZStar and this is a decent ball, no where near the spin I could get with the Plus though.

[size=3][font=georgia,serif][b]Nike [/b]Vapor TW - BB73s
[b]Titleist [/b]915F 15* - D+ 80s
[b]Titleist [/b]913F 19* - D+ 82s
[b]Titleist [/b]913H 21* - Phenom 80s
[b]Mizuno [/b]MP 64 - 4-PW S300
[b]Titleist Vokey [/b]SM5- 54/08M, 60/04L
[b]Scotty Cameron [/b]Select Newport[/font][/size]
[url="https://flic.kr/p/E5WxHK"][img]https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1616/24997465921_7a3f574e63.jpg[/img][/url]

[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1416202653' post='10459083']
Chrome + is no longer being produced Chrome Soft will be the new series ball to continue the line.

I've been playing off and on with this and the new ZStar and this is a decent ball, no where near the spin I could get with the Plus though.
[/quote]

You sure you don't mean the Hex Chrome have been discontinued? I just spoke with the Callaway rep yesterday and he said the Chrome + was staying on for 2015.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1416205380' post='10459197']
[quote name='TheMerryTex' timestamp='1416202653' post='10459083']

[/quote]

You sure you don't mean the Hex Chrome have been discontinued? I just spoke with the Callaway rep yesterday and he said the Chrome + was staying on for 2015.
[/quote]
They were nuts to even think of discontinuing the C+. They got tour performance in a $30 ball totally by accident. Not only does it do what you want, they can't keep them in stock BECAUSE it's $30 a box.