Chrome Soft

scottaz

Been playing this ball last couple months, 5-6 rounds in with it. It will replace the Chrome +/SR3 for me. Blows the cover off SR3(firm), and peforms as good as the Chrome + for me, but feels softer by a large margin. NOT Marshmellow...that would be the Supersoft....just softer than the Chrome +. Feel is there on all shots and control is excellent. It will not fix a bad swing, but it does seem to reduce the side spin a touch for the slight fade or draw vs the mid fade or mid draw. I find I flight it a bit lower than Chrome + for me and get that nice penetrating 13.5-14* LA with my 5-8 yard fade...lowish spin off driver as it runs pretty well at impact. Putting and chipping feel like you are tossing the ball to the hole for me...a lot of control and consistency.

just my results.

Will be the ball for me next year.

You play the SR3, which is a 113 compression ball. I play the FG Tour X ('12), which is a 116 compression. If you think the Chrome Soft isn't a marshmallow, I don't even know how to comprehend that statement, and/or respond to it. Maybe I need to go hit the SuperSoft, but the Chrome Soft definitely felt like I was hitting a jumbo marshmallow. I originally had an unmarked sleeve and only took one ball out, and gave the other two to my son. Just got a full box in, so I'll give it one more testing and report back. This ball will not compare to the FGTX, PV1/X, B330, etc. Well, it will, but only for the folks that were playing the aforementioned balls and were out of their SS range.

20141227_234708_zpsb6d25d4b.jpg

Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 9°, Rogue Elite 859 65R

Adams Idea Pro 20° VS Proto
Nike VR Pro Combo 3-PW XP115
Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been playing this ball last couple months, 5-6 rounds in with it. It will replace the Chrome +/SR3 for me. Blows the cover off SR3(firm), and peforms as good as the Chrome + for me, but feels softer by a large margin. NOT Marshmellow...that would be the Supersoft....just softer than the Chrome +. Feel is there on all shots and control is excellent. It will not fix a bad swing, but it does seem to reduce the side spin a touch for the slight fade or draw vs the mid fade or mid draw. I find I flight it a bit lower than Chrome + for me and get that nice penetrating 13.5-14* LA with my 5-8 yard fade...lowish spin off driver as it runs pretty well at impact. Putting and chipping feel like you are tossing the ball to the hole for me...a lot of control and consistency.

just my results.

You play the SR3, which is a 113 compression ball. I play the FG Tour X ('12), which is a 116 compression. If you think the Chrome Soft isn't a marshmallow, I don't even know how to comprehend that statement, and/or respond to it. Maybe I need to go hit the SuperSoft, but the Chrome Soft definitely felt like I was hitting a jumbo marshmallow. I originally had an unmarked sleeve and only took one ball out, and gave the other two to my son. Just got a full box in, so I'll give it one more testing and report back. This ball will not compare to the FGTX, PV1/X, B330, etc. Well, it will, but only for the folks that were playing the aforementioned balls and were out of their SS range.

Titleist says there is no such thing as a swing speed range for balls.

[quote name='skraly' timestamp='1419768009' post='10650345']
Titleist says there is no such thing as a swing speed range for balls.
[/quote]

Haha, touché my good man.

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

Titleist also says that "everyone can play the Pro V1" ... they just didn't say how well. That has been proven with the amazing number of them that can be found in the planters, weeds, and lakes at all golf courses across the nation. Where else would all those used golf ball sites be getting their Pro V1's?

Anyway, cannot wait to add this ball to the golf ball challenge going on in my bag right now. Should be interesting to see how much each ball lives up to their respective marketing hype.

[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1419788023' post='10651291']
Titleist also says that "everyone can play the Pro V1" ... they just didn't say how well. That has been proven with the amazing number of them that can be found in the planters, weeds, and lakes at all golf courses across the nation. Where else would all those used golf ball sites be getting their Pro V1's?

Anyway, cannot wait to add this ball to the golf ball challenge going on in my bag right now. Should be interesting to see how much each ball lives up to their respective marketing hype.
[/quote]

What part of SoCal are you in?

Nike VR 54/58/62 XP115
Nike MC04w 
TP5X

[quote name='Hack Daddy' timestamp='1419834018' post='10654179']
[quote name='Gauchograd99' timestamp='1419788023' post='10651291']

[/quote]

What part of SoCal are you in?
[/quote]

Lake Forest, Ca... literally about 5 minutes from like 5 city lines (Irvine, RSM, El Toro ... what is left of it, Aliso Viejo, and Laguna Hills). We have strange borders much like Santa Ana and its interaction with Irvine. :)

just my results.

Ball feels soft for sure, softer than Chrome +, not as soft as the Supersoft. I won't go as far to say marshmallow...to me that is the Supersoft for sure. Chrome + to me is really good on feel, if a touch firm, not hard, just firm. SR3 was really good for me overall, but got same performance as the Chrome + also. SR3 felt more dense and 'heavier' to me off the clubface, not a bad thing necessarily, just an observation. I found that I got more than enough feedback on shots from the Chrome + and Chrome Soft pretty much equally, one just softer feedback, but could still tell where it if the face, how it spun off the face...so no issues. Real deal for me was the feel from 125 and in...just love that feel...not concerned about the distance a ball goes, I hit it far enough, just want to have control from the fairway. Been missing 2-3 fairways a round at most with Chrome Soft since put in play...liking that.

I have friends with higher SS than me hitting it and love the performance of it...I don't think SS will be an issue. Compression is just a number it is more about how all the pieces work together than just the core. Different materials in core or how a cover is made make a ton of difference. I spin Titleist Pro V1(x) off the greens, damage Bridgestone covers--have to pick the cover strings off the ball after a good wedge...I have yet to damage a Chrome Soft with a golf swing. I would have said play the ball for one round, but if the feel is just too strange for you, stick with what works. If I have a sleeve of anything, I will try it till I hit a shot or two the same way and get massively different results from that ball, I don't want to think about how the ball will react.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9.0 VA Composites Nemesys 65 04
Callaway Mavrik SZ 15 VA Composites Nemesys 75 04
Callaway Mavrik Pro Hybrid 18* Veylix Rome 888 S
Callaway 2019 Apex Pro DOT 4-PW Mits MMT 125 TX/ Vega Mizar Tour Oban CT 115 X
Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

[quote name='ZBigStick' timestamp='1418957561' post='10615045']I am going to try it out tomorrow. Played the Chrome+ and now SR2. I am unsure how the Chrome Soft is supposed to differ from the Chrome or even the SR1? The Chrome was too spongy and the Chrome+ was longer than it. Interested to see how it compares.[/quote]

I didn't get to play with it yet but messed around with it in the dungeon. It is the best feeling Callaway ball off of the putter in recent memory. Could get plenty of spin on little chip shots off of the carpet.

A ball that feels and plays like Pro V1 around the green and is priced 33% less could be a game changer. Especially if driver spin is limited.

Stealth 2 10.5˚ Ventus TR Red 6-S
Stealth 15˚ Ventus TR Blue 7-S
Stealth 19˚Hy Ventus Blue 8-S
SIM DHY 4 Modus GOST 95
P770 5-PW MMT 105
MG Hi-Toe 3 50˚, 54˚, 58˚ MMT 125
Evnroll ER2v Mid Slant
TP5 Pix
Bushnell Pro X3

Yellow for sure. Saw the box with yellow balls online somewhere.

_________________________________________________________________________________________

:taylormade: Qi10 Max 12* Fujikura Ventus Blue TR 5R

PING G430 SFT 5w 19* | 7w 22* Alta CB Black (set to +/Flat)

Exotics Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design Tour G

Callaway Paradym Ai Smoke HL 6-AW True Temper Elevate 85R

PING Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* | Smart Sole C 4.0

PING 2023 Anser 2D

I am looking forward to putting this in play. Everyone's description seems to match what I am looking for. I have tended to gravitate towards the ProV1x, but would be interested in finding a cheaper, softer feeling alternative. I also like the Hex Chrome +; great all around ball. I liked the Supersoft, but it was little too soft and I lost 10-15 yards off the tee with it.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

I've tried playing this a few more times since I reviewed it a while back. I could never play it in normal conditions. Besides better spin around the greens, I see very little difference between it and the super soft. But I don't do well with low compression balls.

Callaway AI Smoke TD 9 Mitsubishi Kai'li white 70TX 

Titleist TSI 16.5 Mitsubishi PD 80TX

Titleist TSR 2 24 Fujikura Ventus Black 9x

Ping i230 U-4 x100

Ping s159 55 H x100

Vokey LBK s400 

[quote name='trying2scratch' timestamp='1419970375' post='10661449']
Not sure if this has been covered yet but any ideas on what the pricing will be on these? Will this be the direct replacement for the chrome + $35/dz??
[/quote]

$38/dozen...not sure if Chrome + is gone or now...more like an SR1 replacement with lower price...!

Odyssey WHP #3-Stability Tour, Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5, Toulon Long Island Garage-Stability Shaft
Callaway MD5 Jaws Tour Grey 50/54/58 and  Cobra Tour Versatile 50/54/58 Mitsubishi MMT 125TX Graphite
Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

Not sure if this has been covered yet but any ideas on what the pricing will be on these? Will this be the direct replacement for the chrome + $35/dz??
[/quote]

$38 per dozen. Essentially a lower compression HEX Chrome with a $2 price increase from where the Chrome was initially priced.

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1419978920' post='10662105']
[/quote]

$38/dozen...not sure if Chrome + is gone or now...more like an SR1 replacement with lower price...!
[/quote]

Anything new for 2015 would more than likely be on the USGA conforming ball list by now. The USGA list does have another new ball called the Chrome Speed which is a 4 or 5 piece ball so this could be either a replacement for the Chrome+ or a new flagship ball.

There have been comments here that the Chrome+ will remain for 2015 but I guess we will see. My guess is that they would either rebrand it (Chrome Speed?) or release a new and improved version in order to price it consistently with the new Chrome Soft, otherwise they run the risk of cannibalizing the new releases by keeping it around for $30 or alienating customers by raising the price with no change.

[quote name='Golf64' timestamp='1420034776' post='10664703']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE[/url]

For your viewing pleasure.
[/quote]

Yeah, just saw that. Stopped watching after the "feels soft in your hand" comment. Some ridiculous comments up to that point..."it feels like it's spinning a bit less off the face"??? Ok...

[quote name='th6252' timestamp='1420076355' post='10668195']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE[/url]

[/quote]

Yeah, just saw that. Stopped watching after the "feels soft in your hand" comment. Some ridiculous comments up to that point..."it feels like it's spinning a bit less off the face"??? Ok...
[/quote]

I couldn't make it through the video either.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

Really hatd to tell anything from that video. I got the hint that they were not impressed with that ball. They said some good stuff but a lot of Mark's videos are over the top positive and not so much with that ball. They did not hit any other of their playing balls to directly compare. Something tells me if you were sitting around off the record talking to them not too much positive would be said. Just a hunch I felt from watching the video.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1419986507' post='10662659']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Anything new for 2015 would more than likely be on the USGA conforming ball list by now. The USGA list does have another new ball called the Chrome Speed which is a 4 or 5 piece ball so this could be either a replacement for the Chrome+ or a new flagship ball.

There have been comments here that the Chrome+ will remain for 2015 but I guess we will see. My guess is that they would either rebrand it (Chrome Speed?) or release a new and improved version in order to price it consistently with the new Chrome Soft, otherwise they run the risk of cannibalizing the new releases by keeping it around for $30 or alienating customers by raising the price with no change.
[/quote]

Stores are still selling Hex Chrome + as long as they have it. The Chrome Speed is the replacement for the Hex Chrome + and is essentially the same ball.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Sdr1nEtonGE[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's exactly why I stopped watching Crossfield's vids after trying to sit through one. Got through a minute before he started spewing some bullxxxx. The guy is a straight up clown.

Callaway AI Smoke Paradym 💎💎💎9* - Tour AD VF-7TX

TM SIM ti 15* - Diamana GT 80TX

TM Tour Issue Rescue 11 TP Deep Face Proto 16* - Ventus Black HB 9TX

New Level NLU-01 21* - KBS Hybrid Proto 105X

New Level 623-M 5-PW - MMT 125TX

Miura Tour 54* HB - KBS 610 125 S+, New Level SPN forged M-grind 58* - KBS Tour 130X

Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

[quote name='phizzy30' timestamp='1420129389' post='10670025']
[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sdr1nEtonGE"]https://www.youtube....h?v=Sdr1nEtonGE[/url]

[/quote]

[/quote]

That's exactly why I stopped watching Crossfield's vids after trying to sit through one. Got through a minute before he started spewing some bullxxxx. The guy is a straight up clown.
[/quote]

Crossfield is after one thing ........ MONEY. He's using these vids as another means to promote himself. I've watched several, and none impressed me at all.

Nike Vr Pro LE 8.5 degree
TEE CB Pro LE 13 degree
TEE XCGV 16.5 degree
Adams A4 Forged DG X100
Vokey Custom 54 & 58
Cameron CLN 1997 Custom Shop

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1420082168' post='10668531']
[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1419986507' post='10662659']
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Stores are still selling Hex Chrome + as long as they have it. The Chrome Speed is the replacement for the Hex Chrome + and is essentially the same ball.
[/quote]

Think this has been stated in other threads, but the Chrome Speed has been scrapped and Chrome+ will stay in the line for this season.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

From the feedback I have gotten from players I have given the ball to and trust, low cappers, longer hitters(285+), good wedge players and strike their irons well, this ball is MONEY! Myself included will be playing this this year. One guy asked when he can order a small pallet to stock up!! LOL!! But if you put this ball in play and ignore everything you have read about it, I am sure the overall result will be positive...just play it and see for yourself. One of the best overall balls I have played and one of the softest at this level of performance.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link

^^^^

I concur with this. If I didn't like SR3 so much, I could easily play Chrome Soft. My preference is just for a firmer ball as it does not feel as lively, especially around the green. Even on full iron shots, the softness of this ball makes shots feel like fliers even if they aren't. The performance of Chrome Soft is excellent in all respects, and the feel is something to which I could acclimate, but would rather just keep playing SR3.

OEM Certified Master Fitter

"Never forget that the luxury of being
wrong is not enough to make you right."
WITB Link

[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1420466454' post='10688361']
From the feedback I have gotten from players I have given the ball to and trust, low cappers, longer hitters(285+), good wedge players and strike their irons well, this ball is MONEY! Myself included will be playing this this year. One guy asked when he can order a small pallet to stock up!! LOL!! But if you put this ball in play and ignore everything you have read about it, I am sure the overall result will be positive...just play it and see for yourself. One of the best overall balls I have played and one of the softest at this level of performance.
[/quote]

I may have missed it Leif, but does this ball spin as much as Chrome+ around the greens?

I really liked the Chrome+ until I started sucking back shots with short irons, something I'm unable to do with any other ball. Too much spin.

[quote name='Justmuckit' timestamp='1420469640' post='10688569']
[quote name='Dscvrr St Louis' timestamp='1420466454' post='10688361']
[/quote]

I may have missed it Leif, but does this ball spin as much as Chrome+ around the greens?

I really liked the Chrome+ until I started sucking back shots with short irons, something I'm unable to do with any other ball. Too much spin.
[/quote]

This ball spins less than the Chrome + overall. I found that on longer clubs it spins quite a bit less, especially side spin. On the shorter clubs, it spins very well, and is not moving alot after impact on the greens. Those are my results of course. I do spin it back 2-4 feet on softer greens and have had the 1 or 2 that I really got steeper than usual on that spun back 8-10 feet at most...but for the most part, normal shots are within a foot or two of where they land.

Buddy of mine hits a pretty good push draw that usually starts on the right edge of fairway and gets back to center or just left of center...first five holes he played this ball aimed like normal with driver and was a foot into the right hand rough on each shot..all well struck, just didn't move as much as he thought they would normally. he adjusted and loves the ball.

Lamkin Sonar Plus Wrap

WITB Link