2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Chrome Soft

scottaz

• Replies 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played a couple of more rounds with the Chrome Soft (CS). Today was cold and wet (again...sigh) with the temperature peaking at 39*. I was out there alone on an almost empty course, so I had time to play 2 or 3 balls each hole.

I Played the CS against a 2013 Z-Star XV for a majority of holes, and sprinkled in some shots with the Chrome+, TM Lethal, and Wilson Duo.

CS was even with, or shorter off the driver for me than the XV by a few yards. Nothing major.

The CS just wants to fly straight, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. But I like to work the ball a bit off the tee, which I can do with no issue with the XV. I had a difficult time working the CS. It would turn 3-5 yards, but I really had to try hard for that.

I putt with a milled putter (Cameron Studio Select) and the CS is almost too soft. I didn't really notice it flying by the hole, nor did it seem to jump off the putter face.

Definitely has a balata feel off the irons. For me its too soft off the driver. Every strike felt the same, and as another said, I had a hard time feeling my mishits. Every drive felt kinda like a mishit.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

[quote name='scottaz' timestamp='1422050672' post='10805695']
I was longer with every club in the bag with the rzn black and chrome+, except for the putter. The chrome soft was way long there.
[/quote]
[quote name='techjunkee' timestamp='1422050178' post='10805639']
I hit my 6i 200 yds with a ProV1x, [i]really [/i]step on it 205. But, more than half of the Chrome Soft balls went 220+ with a normal swing.

Are they really that much longer off an iron? Is that their selling point?
[/quote]

I noticed increases in distances too with irons. Significant ones. Probably +8-10 vs. RZN Black.

The supersoft is this way too... explodes off the irons and wedges. I actually really like the supersoft, once again, off everything but the driver (when compared to RZN black mind you).

For reference, the ProV1x just never impressed me. I know that its gotta be a wonderful ball, but I've never felt it benefitted me in any part of my game when compared to other tour balls. Its shorter than the RZN Black off driver (what isnt tho?), same distance off irons, and spin and feel the same. If everything is the exact same, why not take the extra 10 yards off the driver?

This is where the chrome soft becomes interesting. It is 100% the best urethane ball (compared to whats out now) in the wind. All callaway balls seem to perform better in the wind than anything else I've played. On a windless day I lost about 10-15 yards off driver compared to nike, but picked up 10 with irons. When I played on a windy day it wasn't the same story.

Into the wind I was getting 10+ off driver with the chrome soft. It also held lines better in cross winds and seemed to go identical distances to nike in both cross wind and tail winds with driver. With irons and wedges, it was still +10 vs nike on all shots except into the wind, where it was more like +15.

If its windy, this is 100% my ball (or I can use some of the hex black tours I still have which are really great too).

If its not windy, my ego doesnt want to give up my long drive of the day (vs. RZN Black).

It's a good ball, especially under $40 for 12. YMMV...

Ping G430 10k - 9* - Ventus TR Black 6x

Callaway Apex UW - 19* - Ventus Black 7x

PXG 0311P Gen6 - 5i-GW - DG x100

Vokey SM9 - 52.12F, 56.14F - DG x100ss

Vokey SM9 - 60.08M - KBS Hi-Rev 2.0

Callaway PM Grind 64 - KBS C-Taper 130x

L.A.B Link.1
Callaway Chrome Soft X LS
Best Grips Perforated Leather
Vessel Player III - Citrine/White/Black (Riding)
Vessel VLS DXR - Grey/Orange (Walking/half-bag)

[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1422056802' post='10806201']
Seems like you big hitters don't like the CS. I'm wondering why Phil likes it so much.
[/quote]

At 115-120ss I actually love the ball. For me it plays better than the ProV1x... which is supposed to be "The Ball".

I've seen a bunch of guys claiming huge distance losses, but I haven't seen that. It is even with every tour ball I've played... except the RZN Black.

Considering PM is a callaway guy, he's not playing the RZN Black anytime soon, and this ball is probably just as long as the other SR callaway offerings, its certainly as long as the PV1x for me...

L.A.B Link.1

I've enjoyed reading the reviews from everyone. I'm an 11 Hcp and have played the ProV1x ball for the last couple of years.

I enjoyed playing the Chrome Soft. I just had time for nine holes, but found the ball to be adequately long for me. I didn't get to compare with my ProV1x ball yet, but I plan to.

Very soft off of the driver for me. I certainly didn't feel like I lost any yardage. I did feel like it was a very straight ball and not quite as easy to curve for me. I'm not sure this is a detraction or negative just yet.

Irons felt like they were a little longer IMO. I feel like about 2-5 yards. Certainly could've been the strike, but that was my impression.

Consistent distances off the irons for sure. I tested this several times from several different yardages. From 155 with my 7 iron, they were dead on equal distances for 3 shots. Maybe 2 yards different. Certainly difference in strike there. Very pleased.

Spin was very good I thought. I felt a little better than ProV1x. Spin was similar to a regular ProV1, IMO.

Jury is still out on how I like to putt with it. I do love the way the ProV1x feels off the putter, but I've always preferred a harder feeling ball with the putter. It's just sound. No performance difference, of course.

I'm getting older now, as I'm 43... I always loved the way the balata balls felt when I was growing up. It reminded me of how they used to feel and sound years ago. Overall, I really liked the ball and I'm going to play it for a while. I need to compare it a little more, of course, but I think Callaway has done a really nice job with this ball. I certainly like it better than some of Callaway's prior tour balls for sure.

On a side note, I'm going to give the Nike RZN black a shot as well. I've never tried this ball, but I'm impressed with the positive opinion from the other posters.

Always enjoy reading others opinions. Good golfing to everyone. Hope someone lives where it's not cold and rainy this weekend!

I'm playing in a one day 2 man on Sunday and I'm just going to put it into play. Got the 2-ball trial pack so if I don't like those I'll return the dozen.

If it feels goo and I score well with it I'll keep it in play. End of story.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

Seems like you big hitters don't like the CS. I'm wondering why Phil likes it so much.
[/quote]

I don't really consider myself a big hitter (not by WRX standards, anyway).

I'm looking forward to the weather warming up so I can give this ball a fair comparison.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1422063222' post='10806785']
[/quote]

I don't really consider myself a big hitter (not by WRX standards, anyway).

I'm looking forward to the weather warming up so I can give this ball a fair comparison.
[/quote]
Agreed. Big hitter? Hardly. If I hit a drive 250, I've really done something! :cheesy:

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

[quote name='CircleC29' timestamp='1422063979' post='10806859']
[quote name='RPJET' timestamp='1422056802' post='10806201'] Seems like you big hitters don't like the CS. I'm wondering why Phil likes it so much. [/quote]

Pay me millions of $$$$ and I'll say I like everything too! :taunt:
[/quote]I knew someone would suggest it is the endorsement money. I'm interested to see if he stays with it. If he is still using the Chrome Soft by the middle of the summer, than I'll believe that he really does think the CS is a great ball.

Cobra F8+ 9.5 - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
Cobra F8+14* - Aldila NV 2KXV Blue 60S
TM RBZ Black19* & 22* hybrids
TM P790 5-AW - TT DG105 S300
Titleist SM7 wedges 54* 58*
Ping Karsten Series Zing putter

Used a Chrome Soft @ the sim. today. Awesome ball. Best out there, next to the Super soft. Everyone in my 4 some wanted to play it all round. So we all used my ball. You have to try this ball!

Ping Hoofer

TM Sim2 3W

TM Sim2 4H

Srixon ZX5 MKII 5-PW

SM10 50, 56*

SC Phantom 5.5

TM TR

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

One thing I see here from a few posters which has me very interested is the reduced curvature off the tee. I desperately need a ball that wants to go straight. I would give up 10 yards off the tee if I could hit 20% more fairways.

LEFT HANDED

Callaway Paradym Smoke TD with Metaflex 5H shaft 
Titleist TSR2 16.5 degree fwy with Ventus Red 7 stiff shaft
Ping G430 19 and 22 degree hybrids with Ventus Blue HB 8 stiff shaft
Srixon ZX7 mkii 5-PW with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts

Titleist SM9 50F, 54D, 58T wedge with Fuji Axiom 105 stiff shafts
L.A.B. MEZZ Max putter with LAGP putter shaft

[quote name='Ringer' timestamp='1422141704' post='10811557']
Is Phil playing the retail version? Doubt it! [b]Probably playing a proto- higher compression version.[/b]
[/quote]

I would say there's a good chance of this.

When the PGA guys were playing the Chrome+ on tour it wasn't the same as the retail ball.

PXG Bat Attack H

Well I broke down and picked up a dozen to try out tomorrow. Gonna see if I can tell a difference between it and the SuperSoft.

Ping G400 10.5* driver
Ping G400 3 wood
Ping G400 3 & 4 hybrids
Ping i25 5-PW AW SW LW irons
Ping Sydney 34" putter
Ping Pioneer 2017 bag
Bridgestone Tour B330-RX ball

It is quite straight off tee

L.A.B Link.1

I have a previous initial review in this topic.

Played 18 today solo and played hex chrome (not +) v soft. It performs exactly the same for an amateur. I shoot 79-86 depending on course/tee's. 1st two pics are a par 3. Total distance w/ roll was ~115 yrds w/ 50* wedge. To an amateur, felt like hit same. The soft is the one closer to the camera in 1st pic. The pitch mark for soft is marked with leaf in 2nd pic and orange tee for chrome. 3rd pic is from ~165 to center (went over by about 10 yrds) I think the soft was the longer one by a foot). Played the chrome where lied then set soft in same lie. Here is result.

For an amateur, the soft has no performance difference, feel only. I personally am not going to play it due to my Ping Anser 2 copper putter makes it run too hot.
[attachment=2585607:Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 7.22.05 PM.png][attachment=2585609:Screen Shot 2015-01-24 at 7.22.26 PM.png]

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1422142682' post='10811627']
One thing I see here from a few posters which has me very interested is the reduced curvature off the tee. I desperately need a ball that wants to go straight. I would give up 10 yards off the tee if I could hit 20% more fairways.
[/quote]

Try a G30 driver, worked for me exactly as you said you wanted

[/quote]
Mob, it will definitely do that. It does limit the sidespin!

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1422157748' post='10812887']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Going to buy some tomorrow. Unfortunately won't be playing for awhile due to weather here in Indy.

LEFT HANDED

[quote name='white03' timestamp='1422156851' post='10812815']
[/quote]

Try a G30 driver, worked for me exactly as you said you wanted
[/quote]

New Year's resolution. No more drivers, I already have 7. Only way I can get a new driver is if I sell two of mine. Much easier to try $30 balls.

LEFT HANDED

I put the ball in play on a Delta course today. Temps were 45-50°, foggy, and a cool 5-10mph wind.. The only positive thing I can update is that this ball feels better in cold weather and is less effected by wind than a ProV1x. But it still doesn't get off the face of my driver with any authority.

I don't "work" the ball so as for it being [i]straighter[/i] than other balls off the tee, I don't know. Wedges will scuff this cover noticably. But not as bad as a ProV1. Feels good chipping around the green too.

Putting actually didn't feel hot to me. Pretty good rolling ball. I game a Scotty X5.

[quote name='Mob' timestamp='1422157923' post='10812905']
[quote name='tbowles411' timestamp='1422157748' post='10812887']
[/quote]
[/quote]

Going to buy some tomorrow. Unfortunately won't be playing for awhile due to weather here in Indy.
[/quote]
I was lucky. I was in Orlando for the Show. That's the only reason I got to play them. I would have had to wait until March!

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1422144085' post='10811713']
Is Phil playing the retail version? Doubt it! [b]Probably playing a proto- higher compression version.[/b]
[/quote]

When the PGA guys were playing the Chrome+ on tour it wasn't the same as the retail ball.
[/quote]

That is what I was initially thinking, but there is only one Chrome Soft submission on the USGA conforming list so anyone on tour currently playing the Chrome Soft must be playing the retail version (we'll see if it remains that way). Also, the tour issue version of the Chrome+ had a side stamp of "Chrome++" so it was in fact a different ball.

[quote name='storm319' timestamp='1422196615' post='10814327']
[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1422144085' post='10811713']
[/quote]

[/quote]

That is what I was initially thinking, but there is only one Chrome Soft submission on the USGA conforming list so anyone on tour currently playing the Chrome Soft must be playing the retail version (we'll see if it remains that way). Also, the tour issue version of the Chrome+ had a side stamp of "Chrome++" so it was in fact a different ball.
[/quote]

Very true.

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome soft is the love child of the Supersoft and the Chrome +.

Wouldn't surprise me if Phil is playing a ball that is the love child of the Chrome Soft and Chrome +...

Now that I've said that, I want to play that ball too. The Chrome+ was fantastic, but a touch hard and a touch too spinny.

Saying both of those things I now wonder if that ball was the old Hex Black...

L.A.B Link.1