TM Tour Preferred Tour Issue irons are softer?

Hot Rod 71

I just found this listing as I was perusing through the auctions on the bay. The seller has these listed as "tour issue" and says this version in softer than the retail version.

I've never heard this before, but I'm no "tour issue" expert by any means.

Any truth to this claim? Or is it pure BS?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-2014-Tour-Preferred-MC-Forged-Iron-Set-PW-Left-Handed-Tour-Issue-/121464177846?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item1c47d444b6

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Names Are Hard To Think Of' timestamp='1413773025' post='10317559']
Probably bs never heard of that before

[b]They could be real but they would be selling for way more than that if they were[/b]
[/quote]

I was thinking the same.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Names Are Hard To Think Of' timestamp='1413773449' post='10317607']
Probably thought tour preferred meant tour issue :)
[/quote]

I thought the same, but he makes a point to say the tour issue is softer than the retail version.

[color=#000000]"This is a Rare set in lefty and the metal Is softer than the retail version."[/color]

PXG Bat Attack H

Have u asked about serial number? Does he have many positive ratings? These irons are over a season old, it's soon 2015.
And also they are left hand.

My Rocketbladez (n-version) are made from a softer casting, those are tour issue. Also I have VR Pro blade clubs with different colour and forged from another material than retail, with softer inserts!

This could be, it isn't that cheap if it is 4 - PW! But ask about serial number, should end or start with T on every iron....

Edit: I can see now that the price is way cheaper than other CB's that are retail. He doesn't mean TP with a shaft upgrade?

[quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413779000' post='10317999']
Have u asked about serial number? Does he have many positive ratings? These irons are over a season old, it's soon 2015.
And also they are left hand.

My Rocketbladez (n-version) are made from a softer casting, those are tour issue. Also I have VR Pro blade clubs with different colour and forged from another material than retail, with softer inserts!

This could be, it isn't that cheap if it is 4 - PW! But ask about serial number, should end or start with T on every iron....

Edit: I can see now that the price is way cheaper than other CB's that are retail. He doesn't mean TP with a shaft upgrade?
[/quote]

I sent him a PM about the serial numbers and asked for some photos.

He has over 1,000 positive feedbacks with one negative in the last year, but most are for musical equipment.

I'm just wondering if he is confusing tour preferred with tour issue.

As far as the price is concerned, there are many sets available around this same price. Just not tour issue sets.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1413804854' post='10318417'][quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413779000' post='10317999']

Also I have [b]VR Pro blade[/b] clubs with different colour and forged from another material than retail, [b]with softer inserts[/b]!

[/quote]

Can you expand on that a bit? Forged Blades, with softer inserts?[/quote]

The insert is not softer than the material in the clubs, or how should I explain it....

The insert is softer than retail and club head finish are grey coloured not chrome!
When I scratch my nail on the sweetspot of retail it feels harder than my clubs. Also the "rils" don't know the name in English are sharper.
(those lines in the face of the club)

[quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413805308' post='10318423']
[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1413804854' post='10318417'][quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413779000' post='10317999']

Also I have [b]VR Pro blade[/b] clubs with different colour and forged from another material than retail, [b]with softer inserts[/b]!

[/quote]

The insert is not softer than the material in the clubs, or how should I explain it....

The insert is softer than retail and club head finish are grey coloured not chrome!
When I scratch my nail on the sweetspot of retail it feels harder than my clubs. Also the "rils" don't know the name in English are sharper.
[/quote]

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong as I have been once or twice in my life, there are no "inserts" on those clubs. It is a one piece forging, with the entire head being the same material. The face where the grooves are is almost always a dull finish on chrome heads.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1413806332' post='10318447'][quote name='L_L' timestamp='1413805308' post='10318423']

[/quote]

[/quote]

To my knowledge, and I could be wrong as I have been once or twice in my life, there are no "inserts" on those clubs. It is a one piece forging, with the entire head being the same material. The face where the grooves are is almost always a dull finish on chrome heads.[/quote]

I know it's not an insert I mean face of the club, but I do not know what it's called in English, but I think you understand what I mean... The club is not chrome it's more smokey grey, and the insert/face/whatever is same colour only softer...
Sorry for language and explaining! Hehe

Ok, I see. Most forged irons are like that. They media blast the face in the hitting area.

There is a picture of the face of a set of retail VR blades here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/3736/the-big-review-nike-vr-pro-blades-and-vr-pro-combo-irons/

There may be a difference between "tour issue", and there may not be. I'm not an expert on them, so I couldn't say one way or another. Only difference I would imagine would be tighter tolerances for weight on each head.

[quote name='bigred90gt' timestamp='1413808386' post='10318579']Ok, I see. Most forged irons are like that. They media blast the face in the hitting area.

There is a picture of the face of a set of retail VR blades here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/3736/the-big-review-nike-vr-pro-blades-and-vr-pro-combo-irons/

There may be a difference between "tour issue", and there may not be. I'm not an expert on them, so I couldn't say one way or another. Only difference I would imagine would be tighter tolerances for weight on each head. [/quote]

Yes! The heads where ordered from Epon and the guy who built them said that the weighting was amazing. The shape is also a little more round in the sole than retail. Another bounce maybe, and the offset is like zero.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1413772478' post='10317499']
I just found this listing as I was perusing through the auctions on the bay. The seller has these listed as "tour issue" and says this version in softer than the retail version.

I've never heard this before, but I'm no "tour issue" expert by any means.

Any truth to this claim? Or is it pure BS?

[url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/TaylorMade-2014-Tour-Preferred-MC-Forged-Iron-Set-PW-Left-Handed-Tour-Issue-/121464177846?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item1c47d444b6"]http://www.ebay.com/...=item1c47d444b6[/url]
[/quote]I don't get as warm and moist about "tour issue" stuff as many. I have owned some here and there but never bought because of "tour" designation. Is it softer who knows but do know I hate the term "rare" that is thrown around on EBay and various forum ads.

As I said before, I sent him a message and requested photos of the serial numbers. This should settle the issue, if he complies with my request.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1413810554' post='10318705']
As I said before, I sent him a message and requested photos of the serial numbers. This should settle the issue, if he complies with my request.
[/quote]
Will be interesting what he says. With TM you can't say never, but if there was different sets made they were not talked about. Certainly, not like other years. Good luck.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1413812711' post='10318867']
[/quote]
Will be interesting what he says. With TM you can't say never, but if there was different sets made they were not talked about. Certainly, not like other years. Good luck.
[/quote]

I did a Google search for a tour issue model and found nothing but a link to this eBay auction.

I have my doubts, but we will see.

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1413813030' post='10318889']
[quote name='2659edward' timestamp='1413812711' post='10318867']
[/quote]
[/quote]

I did a Google search for a tour issue model and found nothing but a link to this eBay auction.

I have my doubts, but we will see.
[/quote]

Those short irons are already forged. I doubt there is any difference, also.

Twitter: @Ed_Settle        My WITB
Driver:           Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 9.0 +2 GD Tour AD HD 6X
Fairway:        Callaway Rogue ST Max LS 3W/15*  Tensei Wht AV 70S

Utility W:         Callaway UW 19* HZRDUS Black RDX 6.0 S
Hybrid:          Callaway Apex Pro 4/21* KBS Hybrid 85S

Irons:             Callaway X Forged Star 5-PW Modus 105 S
Wedges:       Callaway Jaws Raw 48S/53W/58Z DG S200 
Putter:           2022 Toulon Design Small Batch Austin 34" 

Ball:               2022 Callaway CSX LS
Bag:               VESSEL Blk Lux Cart Bag 14 way   

My question....

Are you 100% positive these are tour issue? Can you provide some photos and of the serial numbers?

Thanks.

His response....

selling these for my good friend... his response... yes they are from the Tour Dept , I have played on staff with Tmag for 4 years now and all my gear comes from them . They do not have a T serial number if that is what you are thinking . These are from the Tour and the other thing as a buyer you should know that is great if you buy anything with a T serial no . you cannot return it to TaylorMade for any reason for issues . These you can send in and they can replace a head if needed and they know which dept . they have 3 a retail , custom order and then PGA dept and as you can see these are from the Pga dept on the box and even the box is different

PXG Bat Attack H

They are a std set, is basically what he is saying imo, lol......All the rest is bs...

They would have a marking on em to let them (tour depth builders) know it wasn't retail.....they do it so they know when building, stocking them and then pulling em out for player they know, there are hundreds of sets flowing around in there and they need to know which is which.....they don't do it for ebay sellers or general public, lol

It's std set whether pulled from tour depth or not.....they have std stuff floating around too....not like everything is "special"

And that guy does not sound like player for TM....He doesn't even make sense....first it's his buddy and now he works and plays for TM.....He sounds like a loopy 16 yr old

Is there even a TM office and tour dept in lexington kentucky

I wouldn't buy from the guy solely because it seems like he struggles to form coherent sentences. I had to read that a couple times and I'm still not 100% sure what it means. Why wouldn't you be able to send in something that has a serial number to TMAG? That doesn't make sense to me.

Titleist 915D2 10.5º - Diamana Blue 60 S
Callaway X2Hot Pro 4W 17º - Aldila Tour Green

Titleist 915H 20° - Diamana Blue 70 S
Cobra AMP Forged (4-PW) - KBS Tour S+
Cleveland CBX Zipcore 50°/54°/58° - TTDG Spinner Tour
Seemore Nashville mFGP Blade

[quote name='riehlg' timestamp='1413833912' post='10320899']
I wouldn't buy from the guy solely because it seems like he struggles to form coherent sentences. I had to read that a couple times and I'm still not 100% sure what it means. Why wouldn't you be able to send in something that has a serial number to TMAG? That doesn't make sense to me.
[/quote]

I had to read it a few times as well.

Do schools not teach writing skills, use of proper syntax, and punctuation any more?

PXG Bat Attack H

[quote name='dunn' timestamp='1413834537' post='10320951']
Sounds more like a tweeker from kentucky trying to unload a stolen set of TM irons
[/quote]

LMAO

PXG Bat Attack H