RSi 1 VS Ping G 30 irons

Alpha3

Looking for the most forgiveness in a new iron set. I swing a 7 iron at 82 mph and play reg. Graphite shafts and have 8 hcp. I do not care about working the ball anymore and want to hit fwys and greens. I believe I've narrowed it down to these two sets. Would appreciate opinions. Thanks.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It came down to those along with the g25's for me recently. After it was all said and done I ended up with the rsi's. Numbers wise it was close but the rsi's were more consistent on less than stellar shots. They were all tried using graphite which is something new to me also. Only thing was the R flex in the graphite rsi's was to whippy/lite. Swing speed says R flex but the extra weight and stiffness in the S flex felt better in the long run. I did lose a little distance with the S flex but nothing serious. Tested each one more then once with different flex's plus a lot of number charts. Visually the tmags looked better imo so that played a minor role in confidence I guess.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

"Forgiveness" is actually a fairly subjective term. Everyone has different tendencies when they miss so can come to different conclusions about how forgiving a particular club is. Both those choices are ones that are, in general, considered very forgiving clubs. It's also not just the heads, "forgiving" can have a lot to do with how well the shaft weight, length, flex happen to match your particular swing. Just take some time to demo both and compare the results for your self with your swing.

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T06_V_kG6s"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3T06_V_kG6s[/url]

[url="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukiO4mzCT4"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ukiO4mzCT4[/url]

Here a couple that might help?!

Ping Traverse

TM Qi10 10.5*

TM Qi10 4/7W

TM P790 5-AW

TM Hi Toe 3 54/58*

TM TP Black Soto

Mizuno RB Tour

Super Bowl LII Champions Fly Eagles Fly! 🦅

[quote name='payne7744' timestamp='1423628636' post='10929463']
Looking for the most forgiveness in a new iron set. I swing a 7 iron at 82 mph and play reg. Graphite shafts and have 8 hcp. I do not care about working the ball anymore and want to hit fwys and greens. I believe I've narrowed it down to these two sets. Would appreciate opinions. Thanks.
[/quote]It might not be a concern to you so disregard resale,but to me who rarely holds on to irons very long it's an issue . That said those TMs will lose at least half thier value before lunch vs the Pings. RS1 are nice no doubt but for me I would buy a used set at 1/2 cost.

I've just purchased a set if RS1's after making an expensive mistake with a set of Pings. I went for regular graphite and so far, so good.
I play off 13, am getting on a bit now (59) and my swing speed isn't as fast as it used to be. Comes to us all eventually!
I like the way these clubs sit behind the ball, for a GI iron they don't look too "clunky" and the face slots, whilst being different, don't seem to shout out at you at address.
I haven't played that much with them yet, maybe 3 or 4 rounds, as the weather here is a bit dismal to say the least. My home club is like a quagmire off the fairways so I'm not venturing out too much if I'm honest.
Had a refresher lesson with my pro a few weeks ago, and I was hitting my 7 iron good distance, certainly further than the Pings I purchased. But that was down to nothing else other than a wrong shaft choice, a hurried purchase made with the heart not the head.
Strange that I sold the Pings on to a big hitting 7 handicap friend of mine, and he's struggling with them too!

Looking for the most forgiveness in a new iron set. I swing a 7 iron at 82 mph and play reg. Graphite shafts and have 8 hcp.
[/quote]

I know flex is a personal thing but at 82 mph with a 7i wouldn't that feel extremely whippy? I thought R flex for a 7i is more appropriate for a 70mph / 140 yd carry type swing.

Ping G430 Max 10.5 Tensei Orange AV Raw 55 Reg

Ping G430 SFT 5w 19* Alta Black Reg

Ping G430 SFT 7w 23* Alta Black Reg

Tour Edge Xrail 5h 26* Graphite Design G-Series Reg

Ping G425 6-UW Alta Slate Reg

Ping Glide 4.0 56* WS Nippon Z-115

Cleveland CBX Full Face 2 60* DG Spinner

Cleveland Smart Sole C 4.0 

Ping 2023 Anser D

Handicap: 8.2

One needs to look at more than just swing speed in order to find the best flex and bend profile. How aggressive or smooth the transition can play a big part as well and even personal preference for feel. Even with two identical swings, one person's "too whippy", can be another persons "just right".

I to have narrowed my irons search to RSI, G30, or FLyZ irons. I hit all in stock shafts just to get looks, feel, and general performance. I have to say looks wise the The Cobras edge the RSi by a little. Feel Cobras have a great feel and are slightly ahead of the RSI. Performance in stock Stiffs for all three The FlyZ and RSI are really close and Ping in there. I am going to go and find the right shaft for me and then make a solid choice. But I am so lost with the Ping. I know they are mentioned as the GOLD standard and go to GI iron. I have a feeling they just do not work for me. I did have a few rounds with G25s and it was not a good experience. Wonder if it was just stock shaft issues. The up charge for Ping shafts is bigger than others and may also play a role.
Any more detail or info with the comparisons from others would be appreciated!

[quote name='gregh729' timestamp='1423832967' post='10944657']
I am trying to decide between the RSi 1 and the Callaway XR. Both with KBS90 stiff. I am coming from G25. I hit them ok, but I felt something was lacking, especially with the short irons. I am certified Ping nut, but I am leaning towards the RSi. I like the way they set up behind the ball.
[/quote]
That shaft seems to work a little for me also. The only reason I am not considering the XR irons is I hate the way the 8-PW in Callaway clubs look and set up. I think it may be that they look bigger and have more offset in than the 8-PW in the RSi and FlyZ set.
The stock shaft in the FlyZ set is darn close to the Tour 90 in performance( check web site).
I would suggest you at least look at and give the Cobras a try. I did and was shocked.

[quote name='hardten' timestamp='1423660374' post='10930469']
[/quote]It might not be a concern to you so disregard resale,but to me who rarely holds on to irons very long it's an issue . That said those TMs will lose at least half thier value before [b] lunch [/b] vs the Pings. RS1 are nice no doubt but for me I would buy a used set at 1/2 cost.
[/quote]

Ok, I know TM's resale value isn't great, but pretty sure their value lasts until at least 4th meal...

As to the question at hand, I kind of like the RSI 1's. I might try the G30's, but not sure there's much of a point.

Member of TMAG #TeamJetspeed 2013

I am trying to decide between the RSi 1 and the Callaway XR. Both with KBS90 stiff. I am coming from G25. I hit them ok, but I felt something was lacking, especially with the short irons. I am certified Ping nut, but I am leaning towards the RSi. I like the way they set up behind the ball.
[/quote]

I've been a lifelong Ping'oholic but my last few sets I've gone G25>SLDR>G30>Rsi 1. Rsi 1 with KBS 90 wins by a slight margin for me. A few extra yards (not a big deal), feel better to me ((subjective) and my first hole in one with a spinning PW (big win to me). These irons will be tough to Ho'.

[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1423856681' post='10947163']
[/quote]

I've been a lifelong Ping'oholic but my last few sets I've gone G25>SLDR>G30>Rsi 1. Rsi 1 with KBS 90 wins by a slight margin for me. A few extra yards (not a big deal), feel better to me ((subjective) and my first hole in one with a spinning PW (big win to me). These irons will be tough to Ho'.
[/quote]
First congrats on Hole in one!! Can you share the differences from G series irons to RSi1.
Thanks

I'm a 7 hdcp with a swing speed like yours. I'm always in between r and s flex. With irons I use stiff rather than regular in most cases. I've tried the G series in Ping and I don't care for the distance or the feel or short game shots. I play callaway x14 steel shafts and no I'm not crazy about the distance but the feel,accuracy, and short game is good. I tried the titleist ap1 irons a few years ago and they were a club or more longer than my x14s. And I hit them straight as hell. I am thinking about getting a set this spring just not sure which shaft to get. I'm amazed I didn't buy them a few years ago.

[/quote]I started with g25's with regular flex shafts in the spring of 2013, talked myself into a set of i25's with stiff shafts last spring, and then bought myself a set of RSI 2 with stiff shafts for Christmas. I could have skipped the i25's and went from the G's to the RSI 2's. The difference I felt between the G's and the RSI 2's would be how the ball reacted on a toe strike. With the G25's if I hit off the toe the ball would get up in the air but loose quit a bit of distance. With the RSI 2s I am playing if I hit off the toe you can feel it but the ball still penetrates through the air. If you can square the face and not chunk, the RSI's go. I contenplated doing the RSI 1's for the 4i,5i,6i in my set but I'm glad I didn't because the RSI 2s were plenty forgiving for me. Hope that helps.

The rsi1 and g30 are very similar sets. I tried both when I was looking for a new set. I was coming from G15's and liked the rsi1's better. To me, they look better, felt better, and gave me a better ball flight. You really need to demo both irons side by side. FYI, I ended up going with Speedblades but would have bagged the rsi's with no regrets.

I saw a review on line at Plugged in Golf. This guy stated how bad the RSI1 felt. The thing that concerned me was he made it a point a few times in the review about the RSI1 irons having a very low trajectory.
Has anyone experienced this??
I need irons that assist a little with height/getting the ball in the air.

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1424009769' post='10956725']
I saw a review on line at Plugged in Golf. This guy stated how bad the RSI1 felt. The thing that concerned me was he made it a point a few times in the review about the RSI1 irons having a very low trajectory.
[/quote]

Nothing but high soaring, good feeling shots for me. Was the guy playing real golf or simply hitting balls into a simulator? I've been playing with temps in the mid 40s with either the new ProV1 or Callaway Soft and they feel great! Twenty rounds on them with KBS 90s.

[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1424018170' post='10957407']
[/quote]

Nothing but high soaring, good feeling shots for me. Was the guy playing real golf or simply hitting balls into a simulator? I've been playing with temps in the mid 40s with either the new ProV1 or Callaway Soft and they feel great! Twenty rounds on them with KBS 90s.
[/quote]
Thanks for the input and feedback. I have hit the Tour 90 and like it in other irons. Have not tried it in RSI though. Not sure if he was hitting inside on sim or what!? However, he did turn around give RSi2 great review....??
I know you had the hole in one, but can you share a little on the scoring irons 8-PW? Is there a good transition from the other irons with the slots all over to the irons with none? My biggest reason for fining a new set is easy hit 5-6 irons with good progressive 8-PW with not a ton of offset. This is why i hesitate with G30s.Plus the cost for shaft upgrades with Ping!

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1424025402' post='10958045']
[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1424018170' post='10957407']
[/quote]

[/quote]
Thanks for the input and feedback. I have hit the Tour 90 and like it in other irons. Have not tried it in RSI though. Not sure if he was hitting inside on sim or what!? However, he did turn around give RSi2 great review....??
I know you had the hole in one, but can you share a little on the scoring irons 8-PW? Is there a good transition from the other irons with the slots all over to the irons with none? My biggest reason for fining a new set is easy hit 5-6 irons with good progressive 8-PW with not a ton of offset. This is why i hesitate with G30s.Plus the cost for shaft upgrades with Ping!
[/quote]

The transition for me is good. Slots or no slots I don't even notice anymore. Point and shoot.

Mentioned earlier in this thread that I was in between the g25 and the rsi 1's also. Went with the rsi in the end as stated earlier. One thing strange about that review mentioned above is he must be the only person I've heard say that they are low launching. These are really high flyers and most every other review mentions that also. Feel on the other hand is more subjective obviously but low launch is inaccurate.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

[quote name='tomuch23' timestamp='1424028563' post='10958277']
Mentioned earlier in this thread that I was in between the g25 and the rsi 1's also. Went with the rsi in the end as stated earlier. One thing strange about that review mentioned above is he must be the only person I've heard say that they are low launching. These are really high flyers and most every other review mentions that also. Feel on the other hand is more subjective obviously but low launch is inaccurate.
[/quote]
Agreed!!! These simply soar!