RSi 1 VS Ping G 30 irons

Alpha3

Took my RS1's out for another walk on Sunday, beautiful day here (for a change) and my course is beginning to dry out a little.
Didn't score particularly well as my driving was a little erratic to say the least, and I put myself in some places which were new territory to me despite playing the course loads of times.
Adding to the mix were greens that whilst a pleasure to putt on were very (very) soft and everything just plugged, leaving some fairly lengthy putts to contend with.
But the irons performed superbly.
On the few holes where I was sitting pretty and had a decent shot at the green I hit them beautifully, buttery smooth and straight as an arrow with a good trajectory.
On the not so good lies, in fairly "dampish" rough, again good contact, really getting through the "clag" and into the back of the ball well with them.
I have spent a little bit of time on the range with them (something I don't usually do as I hate hitting off of mats) and noticed that the dispersion with them is very good and distance was consistent.
I'm loving them to be honest, and am really looking forward to the new season and playing on some slightly firmer ground!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1424018170' post='10957407']
[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1424009769' post='10956725']
I saw a review on line at Plugged in Golf. This guy stated how bad the RSI1 felt. The thing that concerned me was he made it a point a few times in the review about the RSI1 irons having a very low trajectory.
Has anyone experienced this??
I need irons that assist a little with height/getting the ball in the air.
[/quote]

Nothing but high soaring, good feeling shots for me. Was the guy playing real golf or simply hitting balls into a simulator? I've been playing with temps in the mid 40s with either the new ProV1 or Callaway Soft and they feel great! Twenty rounds on them with KBS 90s.
[/quote]
What was the up charge if any for the KBS 90 shaft??

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1424210008' post='10973335']
I saw a review on line at Plugged in Golf. This guy stated how bad the RSI1 felt. The thing that concerned me was he made it a point a few times in the review about the RSI1 irons having a very low trajectory.
[/quote]

Nothing but high soaring, good feeling shots for me. Was the guy playing real golf or simply hitting balls into a simulator? I've been playing with temps in the mid 40s with either the new ProV1 or Callaway Soft and they feel great! Twenty rounds on them with KBS 90s.
[/quote]
[/quote]

No up charge for me.

[quote name='Steelhead' timestamp='1424211650' post='10973553']
[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1424210008' post='10973335']
[/quote]

[/quote]
[/quote]

No up charge for me.
[/quote]
Great to hear thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

My short list for testing this year includes the RSi1 and and the XR irons.On paper there seems to be nothing between them.However for a Graphite shaft user such as myself, Callaway has a nice custom shaft offfering( Recoils and Aerotech),whereas TM only offers the stock light weight (probably whippy) graphites. This could be non starter for me.

Driver  :XXIO 10
Woods : COBRA RADSPEED 3W + 5W
Hybrids : NONE 
Irons : JPX-800-HD
Wedges : CLEVELAND CBX2  50-11 + 56-12 + 60-10
Putter : ODYSSEY WHITE HOT  RX  #2

[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1425164970' post='11049515']
My short list for testing this year includes the RSi1 and and the XR irons.On paper there seems to be nothing between them.However for a Graphite shaft user such as myself, Callaway has a nice custom shaft offfering( Recoils and Aerotech),whereas TM only offers the stock light weight (probably whippy) graphites. This could be non starter for me.
[/quote]

I've said it once and I'll say it again: stock shaft offerings are pretty damn good these days. It's not like the manufacturers don't care or just go for what's cheapest. They have a very vested interest in giving the widest range of players shafts that will work well. I happen to have personal experience with the RSi1's in graphite. Even though I am not a fast swinger, I am a high ball hitter, and the stock graphite shafts work just fine with no ballooning whatsoever. I'm not saying they are in the same league as the Recoils (which I didn't care for in the Big Bertha's and XR's though they seem to quite popular) or Aerofibers (which I have no experience with and also seem to be very well regarded), I'm just suggesting that you shouldn't discount the Taylormade graphite shafts out of hand.

Whatever shaft you are considering, if you are comparing the RSi1's to the Callaway XR, I think the XR Pro's are a much closer comparison in terms of topline and offset.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

[quote name='DrSchteeve' timestamp='1425183899' post='11051401']
[quote name='puttitin' timestamp='1425164970' post='11049515']
[/quote]

I've said it once and I'll say it again: stock shaft offerings are pretty damn good these days. It's not like the manufacturers don't care or just go for what's cheapest. They have a very vested interest in giving the widest range of players shafts that will work well. I happen to have personal experience with the RSi1's in graphite. Even though I am not a fast swinger, I am a high ball hitter, and the stock graphite shafts work just fine with no ballooning whatsoever. I'm not saying they are in the same league as the Recoils (which I didn't care for in the Big Bertha's and XR's though they seem to quite popular) or Aerofibers (which I have no experience with and also seem to be very well regarded), I'm just suggesting that you shouldn't discount the Taylormade graphite shafts out of hand.

Whatever shaft you are considering, if you are comparing the RSi1's to the Callaway XR, I think the XR Pro's are a much closer comparison in terms of topline and offset.
[/quote]

I agree that graphite shafts have improved.Personnaly,I just can't get along with sub 70gr weight shafts-question of feeling.
As for your comment about RSi 1 being more comparabale to the XR Pros's,you could be right,and I will try out both the non-pro and pro. What irons would compare to the RSi Pro's?

If you are at all worried about stock, regular flex graphites feeling to whippy, order your clubs in stiff, and have them soft stepped at the factory. A no cost way to get a tweener flex

Steelfiber regular flex don't feel whippy, but the upcharge adds almost 50% to the cost.

G400Max 10.5 Driver Red Velocore 6S
G410 5 Wood Tensei Orange stiff
Ping G410 Hybrid 22* & 26* Evenflo Black 6.0 stiff

Ping G Gap-6 iron Steelfiber i95 R.flex

Ping Anser 52* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Cleveland CBX 56* Steelfiber i95 R fles
Callaway X Tour 59.5* Steelfiber i95 R.flex
Scotty Newport 2,  prov1x, Motocaddy M1

Guy I played with last weekend had RSi 1's so I got to compare them visually against my G30's. To my eye RSi's look really nice behind the ball. Smaller appearance with less offset than the G's. Sole wise the leading edge looked sharper (my pet peeve), and with less bounce. Good clubs for pickers. The stock TM shaft felt really light compared to the Ping CFS. This would have been a non starter for me, and the reason I didn't try to hit them. As an engineer I'm a fan of the slot technology. Taylor Made has a nice video showing how well the slots help forgiveness on off center strikes. Count me as a believer.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1425215543' post='11052519']
Guy I played with last weekend had RSi 1's so I got to compare them visually against my G30's. To my eye RSi's look really nice behind the ball. Smaller appearance with less offset than the G's. Sole wise the leading edge looked sharper (my pet peeve), and with less bounce. Good clubs for pickers. The stock TM shaft felt really light compared to the Ping CFS. This would have been a non starter for me, and the reason I didn't try to hit them. As an engineer I'm a fan of the slot technology. Taylor Made has a nice video showing how well the slots help forgiveness on off center strikes. Count me as a believer.
[/quote]
Well put Nessim. I am looking for new irons this year. Went in wanting Ping or Mizuno. Here I am With a battle between the XR and RSi1. The stock CFS and I just did not get along. I also really like the way the RSi1 sets up behind the ball. My fitter and I are just down to shafts at this point. To be honest the Xr is slightly behind due to I dislike the 8-PW in the non pro XR. We have talked about a combo XR/XR Pro but not sure. Which ever shaft we end up with we are going to try in the Pings just to see what happens. Only fear is Ping cost for up charges is usually steep! Bottom line go with what works the best!

When I ordered my G25's the shop told me the upcharge for KBS Tour was something like $8/each. If you bend the arm of your retailer they may agree to eat that though. Ping prohibits retailers from selling under book prices, but when it comes to upgrades (I'm told) they have some wiggle room. Retailers make good money on Ping's so this is worth exploring anyway.

CFS shafts are pretty nice in my experience. Medium light and mid flex characteristics. Same shaft as the highly regarded Z-Z65 other than fine tuned into various flex grades. Ping swingweight's quite light so maybe that's an issue. You may want to try taping some weight on the demo clubs to see if that improves the feel. Ping will build to what ever swingweight you desire, you just need to get past the demo spec business to figure out what you want.

I originally had the rsi 1's in graphite (r)flex but ended up going to (s)flex. When measured the (r)flex was really a (m)flex and the (s)flex was a strong(r) flex. I like the extra 10 grams of weight it brings with them also. The numbers were just a general consensus to shaft flex and since there isn't a standard every company is doing what they think is right.

Srixon ZX7/Cobra Radspeed XB

ZX 3w Riptide/Cobra radspeed motore F3

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Cobra FT 5-Pw,Aw KBS/ Cobra F9 5-pw,aw 

Cbx ZC 54/Cbx FF 58 Dgold

Cobra sport 45/Cleveland elevado

Srixon QST/Titleist Pro V1 or whatever urethane balls I may find 

[quote name='KARL M' timestamp='1425211975' post='11052375']
If you are at all worried about stock, regular flex graphites feeling to whippy, order your clubs in stiff, and have them soft stepped at the factory. A no cost way to get a tweener flex

Steelfiber regular flex don't feel whippy, but the upcharge adds almost 50% to the cost.
[/quote]

Great idea about soft stepping the stiff flex shafts! However for similar weights-the Stock S flex shafts in the RSi comes in 75 gr weight-, the XR 's can be fitted with Recoils 660 ( 71gr reg and 82 gr stiff) at no upcharge....... Still, at least the weights are similar,so the RSi 1 (Sflex soft stepped) could still be in the running.

[quote name='KARL M' timestamp='1425211975' post='11052375']

[/quote]

Steelfiber i95 shafts in regular are very, very firm in the lower part of the shaft. Jack Nicklaus is playing the i95 in regular, and He calls them stiff!

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1425215543' post='11052519']
[/quote]Went to another demo day yesterday and for umptenth time hit my G30 cfs s, and XTD CC Matrix Program 85 reg against XR 440 Recoil,Ping G30 reg stock graphite,and for first time the RS1 with regular graphite. Typically I hit most similiar with minor feel differences especially against my 30s with CFS. Going to graphite for first time after 40 sets with steel due to shoulder issues. Liked the profile of Rs1 but frankly was very surprized it felt and performed the worst. Maybe just a bad day. Too bad because some retailers are giving 50% trade in bonus towards new TM stuff. Keep XR with recoils but honestly think the G30 actually has a thinner topline and less offset than XR ,FWIW, and felt and performed best. Thinking of reshafting mine to graphite.

You can always upgrade to the matrix program f15 graphite shaft that's standard for the rsi 2. There's no up charge and from what I've read its a great shaft. Obviously not a option when ordering on the website so if going through tmag you'd have to call and place the order. Just trying to help.

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

[quote name='tomuch23' timestamp='1425236315' post='11054429']
You can always upgrade to the matrix program f15 graphite shaft that's standard for the rsi 2. There's no up charge and from what I've read its a great shaft. Obviously not a option when ordering on the website so if going through tmag you'd have to call and place the order. Just trying to help.
[/quote]

Is there a link to TM's shaft options? I don't see any custom options on their main web site.

OK I see it! The Matrix shafts are available standard for the RSi2 irons,but if they could be had for the RSi1's for no upcharge,then that is VG news!

Intersting thread as I have been looking at the RSi 1 and the G30. For those that have the RSi 1s, does the slot technology continue thru the entire set. I have only seen some pictures online but it looked like the club less than 8i did not have face slots.

Driver: Cobra Aerojet
5W: Ping G430
3H & 4H: Ping G410
5H:  Ping G
6 - GW: Ping G25

54*: Ping Glide 4.0
58*: Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Bounce
Putter: Odyssey Tri Hot Double Wide CH Putter

Grips:  Golf Pride MCC Plus 4

Ball:  Titleist ProV1, Maxfli Tour, Taylormade TP5, PXG

There's been a few people who have upgraded to the matrix for the 1's without paying a up charge. Maybe it depends on who you talk to or know.

ZX 19/22 hy Riptide 

Keep them coming guys. I have g25 with DG xp s300 shafts. I demo'd the XR 7 iron in stock stiff (steel) and it was 20 yds longer than my g25 7 iron on trackman. I also hit them higher and straighter than my g25 but the spin was much lower. I had zero desire for new irons but I am wondering if I am truely missing something here.

I'd like to hear/read comparsions of the g25 vs TM rsi1 and both the XR and XR Pro irons.

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

I just wanted to provide an update on my experience at this point and hope for some more feedback. Since my last post we have narrowed it down to just two irons. The cobras and Xr irons are out. So how fitting for this thread that I am between the the Ping G30 and the Taylormade RSi1. The one thing we did figure out was that the best shaft for me is the KBS C-Tper Lite!
What stinks is the fitting carts did not have this for Ping or Taylormade. We did this by using the Mizuno fitting cart and the 850 cast head and trying all of the shafts in the cart on that head until we got the best results. Then tried to find similar shafts that were in the Taylormade and Ping carts.We did find common ground in KBS Tour and Tour 90. The CFS shafts offered the worst numbers and results. Same can be said with stock Reax fromTMAG.
So here is where I am stuck. The numbers for the two were damn near Identical. I mean not much to seperate either one from the other. The Ping was maybe a few yards longer a couple of times but that is it.
The other thing is Taylormade doesnt offer the C Taper Lite and Ping does!? The pro and /fitter is trying to contact Ping rep to see if he can get us a C-Taper Lite to try in the G-30. Unless the C-TaperLite is an absolute game changer in the Ping G30 then I have tie.
Any thoughts?

[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1425524699' post='11080255']
I just wanted to provide an update on my experience at this point and hope for some more feedback. Since my last post we have narrowed it down to just two irons. The cobras and Xr irons are out. So how fitting for this thread that I am between the the Ping G30 and the Taylormade RSi1. The one thing we did figure out was that the best shaft for me is the KBS C-Tper Lite!
What stinks is the fitting carts did not have this for Ping or Taylormade. We did this by using the Mizuno fitting cart and the 850 cast head and trying all of the shafts in the cart on that head until we got the best results. Then tried to find similar shafts that were in the Taylormade and Ping carts.We did find common ground in KBS Tour and Tour 90. The CFS shafts offered the worst numbers and results. Same can be said with stock Reax fromTMAG.
So here is where I am stuck. The numbers for the two were damn near Identical. I mean not much to seperate either one from the other. The Ping was maybe a few yards longer a couple of times but that is it.
The other thing is Taylormade doesnt offer the C Taper Lite and Ping does!? The pro and /fitter is trying to contact Ping rep to see if he can get us a C-Taper Lite to try in the G-30. Unless the C-TaperLite is an absolute game changer in the Ping G30 then I have tie.
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

SLDR irons come with C-Taper 90. A little different from the C-Taper Lite but worth a demo. The SLDR's are midsize and look to be reasonably forgiving. Not SGI but reasonable depending on your handicap.

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1425525968' post='11080379']
[quote name='divottool' timestamp='1425524699' post='11080255']
Any thoughts?
[/quote]

SLDR irons come with C-Taper 90. A little different from the C-Taper Lite but worth a demo. The SLDR's are midsize and look to be reasonably forgiving. Not SGI but reasonable depending on your handicap.
[/quote]
Tried both the Slider irons with that shaft and the RSi1s with it and not as good results.

[quote name='erock9174' timestamp='1423828370' post='10944455']
[quote name='payne7744' timestamp='1423628636' post='10929463']
Looking for the most forgiveness in a new iron set. I swing a 7 iron at 82 mph and play reg. Graphite shafts and have 8 hcp.
[/quote]

I know flex is a personal thing but at 82 mph with a 7i wouldn't that feel extremely whippy? I thought R flex for a 7i is more appropriate for a 70mph / 140 yd carry type swing.
[/quote]

Shaft flex is 100% preference. Many blind and not so blind tests have been done and shafts make little to no difference other than feel

[quote name='gregh729' timestamp='1423832967' post='10944657']
I am trying to decide between the RSi 1 and the Callaway XR. Both with KBS90 stiff. I am coming from G25. I hit them ok, but I felt something was lacking, especially with the short irons. I am certified Ping nut, but I am leaning towards the RSi. I like the way they set up behind the ball.
[/quote]
What made you leave from the G25's?

Mizuno ST-Z 230 9.5 Diamana T+ 60s
Mizuno ST-Z 15* Diamana T+ 60s 

TM Sim2 Max 19 Hybrid Ventus 7-S

Mizuno Pro 225 4-GW DG 105 S300
Mizuno T24 Denim 54S/58V DG S400

L.A.B. DF 2.1 Broomstick

Well I have owned ping G10's and currently G20 irons. Stiff shaft, red dot, Ping CFS shafts. Love them. Play straight and true. However, I hit the RSi and G30 today against my G20 on a trackman using a 7 iron.
I'm a 16 handicap and don't get to play very much these days, and have always been a Ping man.
So the gentleman told me to aim at the 150 mark and hit my G20's was getting 142 - 145 yards.
Followed this on with a good few balls using the G30. Nice club, much the same as the G20 line. It has the same shaft in it as I was used to playing but dispersion was all over the place, averaging 148 yards. I went to basically try the G30 line and nothing else.
Next I was given the RSi with a stock stiff shaft. First shot I actually hit the 150 yard post on a miss hit! This then followed to me averaging 158 yards with the longest shot being an unreal 167 yards. For me it was night and day testing the two clubs. I must add that the gentleman gave me a 2 degree upright head which closed my dispersion. I was able to put the ball right over, or slightly left or right of target.
I miss hit several shots using all three clubs as I haven't played or been to the range for weeks and can truly say that the RSI was very forgiving, and long on miss hits. I am not too bothered about dispersion initially when testing clubs as how can you adjust straight away without practicing with a certain set. I certainly didn't used to be as consistent with the ping G20's until I got used to them. All clubs are different weights and react differently, but you must get fitted as it made a huge difference to me.

Swing speed for the 7 iron was 81mph
Ball speed always over 110 with the Rsi (highest being 118) and only the 100 mark with the pings

Result = RSi ordered. RIP G20
Hope this helps someone