2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Now Jordan is dropping out of the olympics. At this rate, I may qualify for the team by the time the event actually starts.

Only if DaveChen drops out, too.

Fantastic...

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Now Jordan is dropping out of the olympics. At this rate, I may qualify for the team by the time the event actually starts.

For realz?

Ole Jordan...from dunking two balls into the water to now this...

He needs to step up to take on the Zika (whatever), water that will kill you and no security.

Why again did RIo get the olympics?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Speith dropping out is the biggest surprise to me so far since he seems to have been publicly in favor of it for so long. While the deadline was last night, the issues have been known for months, its odd that he would wait so long.

Also strange given that Coke just signed him to the biggest deal for an athlete ever - or might have been tied with Lebron, not sure. Either way, with Coke being a main Olympic sponsor I thought for sure he'd be there.

Dont blame any of these guys though. The Olympics are really like the 8th most important thing to them, I guess I'd love to see someone just say they dont care about them.

For realz?

Ole Jordan...from dunking two balls into the water to now this...

He needs to step up to take on the Zika (whatever), water that will kill you and no security.

Why again did RIo get the olympics?

Because it put the greatest amount of these into IOC officials pockets.

Usdollar100front.jpg

Thanks for the Nags Head rundown on the previous page. Heading there next week and have tee times scheduled for Currituck and Duck Woods.

Playing Currituck tomorrow. I'll let you know how she plays. I've played Kilmarlic a few times as well and it was a great course in my memory.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

How did you guys playing Hobbits do on 7 today? I didn't find any balls in my yard so that's a good sign. The pin looked to be in the middle of the green.

birdied.

4w. 6iron. 54. Putter.

More tomorrow. Good match with goosehook today.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Had a nice time playing Hobbits this afternoon. We ended up having 10 guys, and I went off first with gregh and the canton cannon (CantonMD... yes, he's alive and well) as a threesome. It was slow out there because the course was so packed for the guest day, but even still we ended up playing in 4:20. Not bad at all.

The course was in great shape last week, and for some reason they either verticut or core aerated every fairway since then. I have no idea what the point of doing it was, other than to ensure the entire course isn't in good shape at once. Greens were fine. Playing like late in the day greens that saw a lot of traffic, but good overall.

Gregh was solid as usual. More so on the front, but I think he ran out of steam on the back as much as anything. It was swampy out there. Same buttery smooth swing, and hit lots of nice shots. I have him some putting speed visualization ideas on the long walk to 9 tee, which probably F'ed him up.

Good to see canton out there again. It was his first superfriend round in a couple years. He was stronger on the front as well. So much potential in that swing from his baseball playing days. He just lost control of where the club face was on the back 9, and couldn't ger back on track after a nice front.

I played fairly consistent overall. A few more less than stellar shots than last week, but still very consistent over the course of the round. Plenty of good birdie looks, of which I made zero. My only birdie was a 3-footer on 18 after a nice chip. Doubled 11 from the left bunker, which was a treat. I still feel like I'm playing a bit smarter, which is helping.

Felt good to get some good results today, despite hanging on for dear life with my tee shots. Missing left, left, left, left, left gets old! Led to some doubles on the front but I actually had a decent back nine today. Had a few good looks at birdies but couldn't make a thing. Even had a 5-foot curler to close City out but missed that and his bird on 18 halved our match. He didn't play as well as he would have liked I'm sure but it was a good scrap- for 18 holes no one ever got to 2 up.

JJ/hal each played really consistent and we had a good 4-ball going too. Was square most of the way but hal had a -3 stretch on the back nine to pull away. Ain't even mad about that one. I should have played JJ for a full 18, but we agreed to a front 9 match and he dusted me.

Really frustrating to have to put driver away for nine holes but the decision paid off. That could be viable for me going forward because the new irons are legitimately longer than my old ones. BUT it's glaringly obvious what I need to do to get back to regular good scoring. I think the count on "strokes lost" to left teeballs was around 6 or 7. Cut them in half and convert one or two birdies and I'm happy with that.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Lots of fun playing with FABB and Canton. First time meeting Canton, good guy and fun to play with. FABB was solid as always. He makes the game look easy, always in control of his ball. The putting tip was good. It's a good mental image. Tex was basically telling me the same thing last week. Obviously, I am not a quick learner. I played great on the front (38) and hit 7 of the 9 greens. I doinked a tree with the tee shot on 4 that led to a sloppy double, and had a careless 3-jack on 5. Everything else was on. We had about a 10 minute wait on 10 tee and all the mojo left. Doubled 10 and 11 (4 putts from the fringe) and never got it together on the back. I ran out of gas the last few holes. I really like the layout on the back.

Great day with a good group! Looking forward to next time.

Goosehook and I played our match for match play yesterday. In addition, Halcyan and I played him and JJ.

Even though I helped with a par on 3, and a birdie on 7, it's entirely possible Halcyan would have beat them better ball by himself. He was up and down from everywhere.

Goose and I were a bit sloppy. Both doubled 1 after pull hooks. He made a nice up & down from over the green on 2 to halve. He won 3 with a stroke, but I got it back on 4.

We both doubled 6, and I pulled ahead with a birdie on 7, but he got that back on 10. He got 1 up on 12 after I missed the green from 70 yards on a shot that I thought had a chance of going in. Instead, it hit about a yard short, and slid back into the trap. He hit a stellar full swing 60(?) off hard pan from about 90 yards to get it close to a front pin. Great shot.

I won 14 with a sandy-par to square it, then on 15, he jarred a 20 yard chip for par and I lipped out a putt. It looked like I was in trouble on 17 as he had a 5 footer to win 2&1, but he lipped it out and I gave myself a tap-in birdie on 18.

18 was pretty interesting. Goose is playing well, and he hits a driving iron off the tee and I figure I need birdie. But, he pushes his second to the right and I know it's a tough par from there. I was planning on hitting 4w, but put it back and hit my 7 iron to 100 yards. Hitting 3-iron off the tee did leave him a tougher second shot that you should really have on that hole, but that's what happens when you're fighting something.

It was a good match. I had a couple really bad 3-putts, but made a couple decent putts, too, and he had his share of shots he'd like to have back, too.

I think I've figured out my iron-hooking issue (for the millionth time), but all of a sudden my driver and putter left me. When all 3 click, I'm going to put up a number, but I'm in a mini-slump right now. Very disappointed in driving. Hit ONE fairway with the driver yesterday. Oof. Nice day. Disappointed in the conditions. I DIDN'T think the greens were in great shape, and I can't believe they're poking holes in the fairways again. On the greens, I had a couple pop-ups and possibly a bad mis-direction from a mark on hole 6.

I really think the superintendent there must be a "fidgeter". . .always fussing with it. Can't just let it go for a while.

Not a chance he doesn't do a full-plug aeration in August/September. He can't leave it alone.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

The Ping Redwood is heading to solitary confinement in the basement. It's been in the bag for 15 rounds and I'm averaging around 34 putts a round. That's about a stoke and a half more than what I usually average. I've also had 3 4-putts in the past month. I can't remember when the last time I had a 4-putt before last month. Time for a new look. It might even find its way to the BST along with a few other misbehaving clubs

Pretty sweet to have MONDAY golf recaps to come into on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully one day I'll make it up to this magical Glen of the Hobbits that is so often spoken of in these parts.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach

Pretty sweet to have MONDAY golf recaps to come into on a Tuesday morning. Hopefully one day I'll make it up to this magical Glen of the Hobbits that is so often spoken of in these parts.

Probably better to wait a little bit.

The fairways look fine and the cut ones will heal soon, but the greens need a few days off from rounds. If you saw all the pitch and spike marks around the holes you would think they had some sort of winter pin schedule and hadn't rotated them in a long time.

I suppose you could argue that the bermuda needs to be active before you start aerating it, but the second week of July? Kind of a head scratcher.

To the other groups, did it not look like someone had been wearing nails on the course earlier that day?

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Thanks to City for always setting up tee times out at Hobbits. I think this was the first time ive been out there when it was truly “busy” and we still managed to finagle our way into the tee sheet with all three groups going together. It was a bit of a circus show trying to get onto the first tee with the starter, but we were able to snag Halcyan away from PQ and complete our foursome.

It was an interesting round- I’ll put it that way – it certainly feels like the worst 81 I’ve shot. Feels more like a high 80’s number.

I don’t know what it is – I like the back better at Hobbits, but I certainly score better on the front. Maybe that is why at the last min I decided to ask Goose for a front 9 only match, but either way it turned out well for me as I posted a front 38. Highlights on the front 9 were being able to get up and down on 5, 8, and 9. My up and down on 5 maybe one for my personal record books. I was over the green, past the cart path, and over on the left near the trees by the 2nd tee box. I was able to hit a flop that landed just onto the green and rolled to about 8 feet – I then made the putt.

The back 9 was all shenanigans to a 44 with 2 doubles. Odd hole was the 12th where I nearly topped my tee shot into the water but it stayed up and then hit the cart path that crosses right on the over side of the water. This left me about 165 out. I did have some tree troubles, but I was just happy to get away with that tee shot. At address I closed my face and aimed about 10 yards right of the green. I hit maybe my best shot of the day that ended up about 10 feet. I of course wasted the effort by missing the putt, but I guess im still just happy I didn’t top it into the water. On 13 and 17 I just forgot how to play golf and had a burner drive that went about 50 yards on 13 and two punch out attempts on 17 that went out 15 yards.

Crazy to play so well on one 9 and then turn around and feel like you cannot hit the ball on the back 9. Well anyways, that’s how you waste a 38 with a 44 to shoot 81. Positive not is that I pared all 4 par 3’s and not sure the last time ive done that.

Watching Halcyan was a lot of fun – he had it going out there and I think (without looking) he may have shot under on the back or at least even. We were talking about him getting off the bogey train he was on 8 and 9 and 10 I think and I told him to just hit the green on 11 and get it started. Well he listened – he then hit his approach on 11 to about 1-2 feet and he was off and running. I know he had back to back birds on 11 and 12 and maybe another on 15

Interesting round with City – not a great thing, but probably the most inconsistent ive seen him play – he even said this and I was thinking it, but his putting kind of left him during the round – now it came back near the end, but he wasn’t pulling off his normal magic- best shot for him was on 18 with everyone watching and needing a birdie he stuck his 3rd to about 2 feet forcing a half in his match with Goose

Goose was fighting the lefties off the tee much like I was but I thought his irons were pretty good today. On 15 15 holed a chip for par that kept City at bay for another hole when things could have turned quicker. I will say that once he put the driver away on the back 9 his game came back around nicely.

Stix and I wont be able to play our match so im done with the match play at 2-1-1. Thanks Fabb for setting it up. My take is that City and Halcyan will move on – good luck guys

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Monday Recap from Laurel Hill

The course is always in epic shape. The greens were rock hard, granted I teed off at 11. They watered the greens after I finished the holes naturally. I hit a bunch of greens, but had a hard time keeping the ball near the flag. Missed a bunch of birdie putts. missed a bunch of par putts. Just wasn't really focused but was happy to be playing. 44/45

the front 9 wasn't soo bad, but had some mis calculated putts. the back 9 we caught a group with about a 3 hole gap in front of them that would not let us through, and that is where the wheels just kind of lost focus around the green.

Got a flat tire on 11, and and fatted a 3 wood that hit the cross walk on 17 and got over the s***.

complaint - the tee boxes were really furry, was hard to really know where the ground was - pet peeve of mine - unkept tee boxes

Played 18 yesterday at a local, short course called The Hollows. My first and lowest round there this season was a 83, but I also put up a 85 and 87.

On the first 9 (Cottage course) I hit 5/7 fairways. I used my Callaway hybrid and was killing it. The first tee shot was heavy but after that I was hitting it way longer than I thought - about 260 or so carry uphill. One miss was in a fairway bunker off to the right, so I counted it as a miss (which I think is correct). My approach shots weren't bad either on the front hitting 7/9 greens with one three putt. Ended up finishing the 9 at 3 over.

On the second 9 (Road course) I wasn't as good off the tee only hitting 2/7 fairways with one lost tee shot. The lost tee shot happened on a par 4 where I hit driver up the right side but it was a bit of a weak fade that drifted right near a lateral hazard (I probably could have found it but a group had just let me play through and I didn't want to keep them waiting) and ended up getting a QUADRUPLE BOGEY. The hole before I three putted for a double on a par 3.

Two of the missed fairways on the second 9 were barely missed to the right. On the par 5 finishing hole I hit a 320 yard fade off the tee that missed the fairway because I didn't want to play it out to the left/center which makes the hole longer so I played it from the center up the right for a much shorter shot in from the rough. I only had about 190 to the pin with 155 to carry the left greenside bunker. I chose to hit a 7 iron but probably should have played an 8 or 9 because my ball released from the center of the green up the slope to the back fringe. I putt out of the fringe and then barely miss my birdie putt and tap in for par to finish the back at 6 over.

I shot a 79 (78 ESC) yesterday and I was so happy; my lowest round of the year (past two years since actually getting back into things) and my first time breaking 80 since probably high school golf! Sure, it is a par 70 course, but things really have been feeling good lately. It easily could have been 4 strokes lower too! Hopefully I can keep it up. I'll have to bring my clubs with me when I head up tonight and find a range so I can keep the swing in check.

Thanks City/PQ for the rounds yesterday.

I will say one thing, even with the weird cuts, Hobbits looks 10 times better than at the CC. Greens were rolled true if you got past someone dragging there feet all day. They were receptive unlike Blue Mash.

Anywho, struggles in my game keep showing up (without practice they won't go away...imagine that). Started with a double (toe slice with an iron on my 2nd shot into never never land) .

Followed it up with a drive over the big tree on #2 but in the rough, hooked 3 wood into the lake bit close to the green, clanked the flag with my approach (1 foot) to make a par.

Next hole leave myself short on my approach and chip to tap in.

I'm thinking it's going to be a good day..wheels fell off with some irritant shots and some bad ones the rest of the round.

I ended up with a 44-42=86. I improved on the back score so that's a plus.

One birdie and a 40 foot putt for bogey so some highlights in a below average round.

But my man PQ was on fire. Dude started with a miss birdie putt on 1, tap in birdie on #2, just missed birdie on #3. Dude could of been 3 under through 3 and it didn't stop there.

He made lots of birdies and missed out on some opportunities. He stayed out of trouble for the most parts and missed on some tee shots (I'll take his misses any day). However, he got out of jail a lot and put up a 73.

I enjoyed watching someone with that type game because it shows there is hope I can be better. Also, he knows his swing/shots where I'm still guessing. Just cool to see.

He did disappoint me though..his shirt wasn't has tight as usual (I think he lost some weight) so I had to settle for MTN nipping all day.

Fun story about MTN, after he gets away from the first 4 holes he catches fire. However, it was probably because he walk back to the club house on #2 to grab a cart instead of push. That riding MTN watch out...

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Looks like Olympics is going to be Fowler, Reed, Kuch, and Bubba.

Bubba and Reed. Great ambassadors.

I assume DJ and Spieth would have kept Kuch out, and not one of them, but still.

Anyway, Reed will be fun to watch. If his past Ryder cup means anything, you know he's going out there to win it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Goosehook and I played our match for match play yesterday. In addition, Halcyan and I played him and JJ.

Even though I helped with a par on 3, and a birdie on 7, it's entirely possible Halcyan would have beat them better ball by himself. He was up and down from everywhere.

Goose and I were a bit sloppy. Both doubled 1 after pull hooks. He made a nice up & down from over the green on 2 to halve. He won 3 with a stroke, but I got it back on 4.

We both doubled 6, and I pulled ahead with a birdie on 7, but he got that back on 10. He got 1 up on 12 after I missed the green from 70 yards on a shot that I thought had a chance of going in. Instead, it hit about a yard short, and slid back into the trap. He hit a stellar full swing 60(?) off hard pan from about 90 yards to get it close to a front pin. Great shot.

I won 14 with a sandy-par to square it, then on 15, he jarred a 20 yard chip for par and I lipped out a putt. It looked like I was in trouble on 17 as he had a 5 footer to win 2&1, but he lipped it out and I gave myself a tap-in birdie on 18.

18 was pretty interesting. Goose is playing well, and he hits a driving iron off the tee and I figure I need birdie. But, he pushes his second to the right and I know it's a tough par from there. I was planning on hitting 4w, but put it back and hit my 7 iron to 100 yards. Hitting 3-iron off the tee did leave him a tougher second shot that you should really have on that hole, but that's what happens when you're fighting something.

That second shot was not a difficult one, but I made the mistake of setting up for the draw. Damn ball went straight. Although from there, 7-7 could have been a viable play. I wasn't too worried about it because I felt comfortable with my iron game. On the tee shot, I wasn't "playing for par" or anything but decided that a ball in the fairway would give me the best chance to close things out. Any other result on the second and I've got a wedge in hand and at least a good run at making a birdie to match. You still earned the halve with the third shot, too bad I didn't get to see it from where I was.

Finishing 1-2-2 in the match play wasn't what I wanted but our bracket was TOUGH. I haven't had much good stuff this year so I'm relatively pleased with the grinding ability. Short game is better than last year and my iron play feels good, putting is usually not killing me. I have to get this business with woods out of dodge- 3 irons are nice off the tee but 300 yards in the fairway makes golf a lot easier.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Looks like Olympics is going to be Fowler, Reed, Kuch, and Bubba.

Bubba and Reed. Great ambassadors.

I assume DJ and Spieth would have kept Kuch out, and not one of them, but still.

Anyway, Reed will be fun to watch. If his past Ryder cup means anything, you know he's going out there to win it.

I loved Rory's comments this morning about the Olympics. More importantly I love the uppity sports writers that seem to be having a meltdown on Twitter about it.

They basically beg these guys to be more open and honest with them and then when they are - they flip out.

Gotta wonder if Kucher really wanted this in the first place. He probably had no plans to go, figured there was no way it would get down to him, maybe planned a nice vacation to relax after a brutal schedule. Then gets the call that he's in.

... have to get this business with woods out of dodge- 3 irons are nice off the tee but 300 yards in the fairway makes golf a lot easier.

This. Hitting 4 iron off of tees to about 240-245 is nice and all, but being another 15-20 closer in using this new hybrid or 50 yards closer with my driver makes golf so much easier. That's why I was so big on really trying to figure out what was going on with my driver.