2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Yeah, Rory is 5'9" and 161. That's pretty slim still and he works out with professional guidance. In the middle of a gym session you get that kind of pump (plus that photo is mid rep).

For reference I'm just shy of that height and my "fighting weight" is 175.

5'9 165 is consider overweight per Air Force standards.

And I'll be sure to weep myself to sleep over the obsolete metric that is Body Mass Index!

If my current self got down to 170 I'd be in single digit body fat. At 177 a couple years ago I was measured @ 11% and told I was 'borderline obese' because of the BMI measurement.

That BMI chart is the dumbest thing I've seen. At my height, I think my "ideal" weight should be 125-135 pounds. WTF?!

I'm obese according to the charts.

Obese.

I ain't skinny. But OBESE?

Still, those BMI charts get a little mis-represented. Basically, BMI is a number and that number correlates with OTHER factors. In no way is it a perfect predictor of health, or health problems, but when you use it across populations, it does correlate with risk factors.

I think I would be in morbid obese on the chart according to my height and weight. I agree that it can be some sort of indicator of possible health problems in the future, but if I'm at my height but weigh 160 pounds of lean muscle, no way in hell am I "fat" or "obese" just because of the weight. And I sure as hell would not want to be 125 pounds regardless of how healthy that chart considers it to be.

Titleist TSR2 8* or Callaway AI Smoke Max 9*???

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Nike Dymo 5w

Titleist 917f2 7w

Nike VR TW blade/split cavity- 4-PW

Cobra Snakebite 52*

Titleist Vokey 60*

Taylormade MySpider Tour X 

overweight per paper - but after a physical examination it would be moot.

rory's job is to stay fit, get stronger, and practice his skill. he has a team soley just for his fitness, and his physical transformation,

Yeah, and that was the job adn team of Mark McGwire, and Barry Bonds, and Tiger Woods, and Ben Johnson, and Lance Armstrong and Ray Lewis and and and and and

You think Tiger took PEDs?

Yes, I do.

I *think* it. I can't prove it. Lots of work with (and checks to) doctors who were known PED pushers (Galaea) during the times of Tiger's injuries and muscle growth. Just lots of circumstantial stuff. People close to Tiger didn't think so (like Haney and Stevie Williams), but that doesn't mean a whole lot to me. If you ever read up on the cycling stuff, those people were very good at hiding it from people who didn't need to know.

I generally thought that most people thought this about most elite athletes. I'm actually surprised at how much everyone here sounds like what people said of Barry Bonds and Lance Armstrong at the time.

I guess I'm just more jaded than everyone on this topic.

I don't know if anything has ever been linked to Rory's trainer. He seems to do a lot of work with cyclists and sprinters and those fields are the dirtiest in the business. Again, just circumstantial.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Wasn't Rory - and lot of the top guys - tested by the IGF in the last few months? I thought that was the deal with the Tour that they would test all the guys this summer that they thought might go to the Olympics?

But yes City I think in general you are more jaded than most on *most* topics lol.

But for me, I dont look at an athlete that has gotten in better shape and just naturally assume they are using something, no.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

I agree with City. I think Tiger juiced. Now he is having the same back/joint/tissue type injuries that have been common with the baseball players who juiced. A lot (most) broke down quickly

Yep

I look at his ability to come back from past injuries and his inability to come back now

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

Wasn't Rory - and lot of the top guys - tested by the IGF in the last few months? I thought that was the deal with the Tour that they would test all the guys this summer that they thought might go to the Olympics?

But yes City I think in general you are more jaded than most on *most* topics lol.

But for me, I dont look at an athlete that has gotten in better shape and just naturally assume they are using something, no.

Thing is. I may be jaded towards the ATHLETES, but honestly, I don't care if they do it.

For starters, I'm for anything that helps players HEAL faster. . .not mask pain (like toradol, that drug they give NFL'ers before they take the field), but heal faster, even if that means HGH or some steroids.

But, as my interest in athletics has diminished, I've found I care less and less about the "purity" of sport and I tend to see it much more as entertainment, so. . .why the hell NOT?

That's sort of the coupled with the crookedness and coercion in the organizing bodies. I totally believe that the USA is probably the most juiced olympic team there is. They probably were in the past olympics (where all the Russians have retroactively tested positive) and we're just way way better at it than they are, because USA USA.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That's sort of the coupled with the crookedness and coercion in the organizing bodies. I totally believe that the USA is probably the most juiced olympic team there is. They probably were in the past olympics (where all the Russians have retroactively tested positive) and we're just way way better at it than they are, because USA USA.

So you think we're in line with all the undercover reports coming out about how bad it was in Russia - basically a state sponsored, state run doping program for all of our international athletes?

You said that a "ton" of guys on Tour are taking something they can get away with now but not for Olympic testing, to me a ton is over half or 3/4 of the Tour. I dont doubt that there are a handful of guys that may be juicing but I tend to think its the guys on the border of being Top 125 and less chance of it being the top guys. Not impossible, just less of a chance.

BMI 25, trending 24.

Got me at 27...overweight. To be honest, I've changed up my workout routine recently and put on a bit of weight that I really don't like. That said, I'd like to be about 10 pounds lower, but that is still overweight.

FYI - on morning drive this morning, Rory answered a few questions about drug testing. He stated that he was tested once this year by the IOC. It was a urine test only, not blood. He believe if he hadn't withdrawn from the Olympics he would have been blood tested at a later date. He has been tested twice by the PGA tour, again, urine, no blood. He suggested during the press conference that he was very much in favor of stronger drug testing, including blood testing, done by the PGA tour. Again, just a summary of what Rory said while on TV this morning.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid/ G430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Phantom 5/ProV1X

Sidenote - odd to see Schwartzel moving to PXG the week of The Open? He's got a couple wins recently and some good finishes, god Parsons has to be dropping a ton of cash on these guys.

Lifting weights like a machine kills joints. I've played football, lifted heavy throughout high school football, got to college, got into power If he used growth hormone he could recover more quickly from tendon/ligament injuries but steroids wouldn't do anything. Some PEDs might help with endurance, but not sure how much that helps in golf.

But back injuries like the type that needs to be repaired like Tiger's wouldn't be avoided by any PEDs. Bodies wear out with age. He was much younger before and had a lot less "reps" under his belt then. He wasn't anywhere near big. He's a tall guy and had a decent sized frame. His chest filled out but his delts weren't anything crazy.

119 weeks ago: https://www.instagram.com/p/omtrUuquG8

89weeks ago after training and dieting down for a few months. https://www.instagram.com/p/uqZhKUquCn

That wasn't my biggest or leanest. Not prepping for a content but just a mini cut to get my metabolism churning again after tearing my patellar tendon and not being able to train for a long time.

My patella tendon is still f***** up and I can't squat, and it killed my motivation. Training is something I love. I love the grind. The gym was where I went to unwind and that's probably a big part of why I don't mind grueling practice sessions at the range.

My body shape when I'm not eating like s*** and just trying to stay in shape (not grow or cut). https://www.instagram.com/p/3pxbXMquKC/

I've lifted heavy for a long time and it is taking it has taken it's toll. So I don't attribute Tiger's injuries to any PED usage. My doctors just told me that my frame was carrying way more weight than it probably ever was intended to (whether it be fat or muscle) and it just wears down over time. It never stopped me, but now I pay the price.

Edit - to be clear, I'm not arguing either way, but I think it is easy enough for someone like that to get trim and cut with a full time trainer and an open schedule, like JKC said.

Super easy. Money for a full time personal trainer and nutritionist and all the best gear. Not a stretch to get trim and cut in those circumstances. Not like he's working a 40 hour week and trying to get a workout in here and there.

DC - I want you to know that I chuckle every single time your response starts with "Super easy" or a "Simple" when the topic is something like "putting on 30lbs of muscle" or "fixing the long-term financial problems of the LPGA." Even when I agree with you it makes me laugh.

27, same as Hoop. I've been trying to eat healthy, getting my carbs in the form of Ben & Jerry's ice cream. So hopefully that number will go down.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I think it's feasible that Tiger did use something, but his swing killed his back and a SEAL took at least one of his knees out. But he seems to have a compulsive personality and it's also possible his training routine got him to that point. I don't believe that HGH has much factor in ligament/spinal recovery.

The baseball players, yea...everyone knew they were juicing. I was disappointed to hear about Armstrong but blood doping in cycling is more common than any other sport. EPO is a different animal than those other ones though.

Nutritionally though, it is shown that you can boost your own T-levels with a targeted diet of fats. Ketogenic diets are effective at that.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

So you think we're in line with all the undercover reports coming out about how bad it was in Russia - basically a state sponsored, state run doping program for all of our international athletes?

You said that a "ton" of guys on Tour are taking something they can get away with now but not for Olympic testing, to me a ton is over half or 3/4 of the Tour. I dont doubt that there are a handful of guys that may be juicing but I tend to think its the guys on the border of being Top 125 and less chance of it being the top guys. Not impossible, just less of a chance.

BMI 25, trending 24.

Yes, I think we're in line with Russian on doping of our athletes. Not state-sponsored, but I think that the coaches and trainers we have on staff are basically as expert in administering performance enhancing drugs as they are in actual training in technique and strength and whatnot. Or at least they have the proper nutritionists on staff that take care of it.

I think that the sports (track and field in particular, maybe swimming) have also "self-selected" the athletes who are willing to do it. When two athletes are giving a choice in college, "hey, ya know, this might help you recuperate a little faster."

"what's in it?"

"don't worry about it."

one guy is willing to go "OK", and one guy is not willing to do that and that's how teams are built.

"Ton" of guys on tour is me being imprecise. I think there are probably fringe guys who have tried to use it to make the leap. I think there might be 12-20 guys who are "big names" who use/have used. It doesn't have to be a fitness freak, or an ongoing permanent part of their training.

Just if it came out that Joe Schmo -- Oosthuizen, or Stenson -- was using something to get over an injury, or someone was starting to lose distance, I wouldn't be surprised.

Again, maybe my whole mindset is just shifted on the "suspicious" spectrum. Maybe I just don't like getting fooled by "Jet Ski Lifting" injuries.

Anyone remember a couple years back when people HERE at WRX (and around the web) were saying weeks before the PGA Championship that Tiger was being suspended after the PGA. And everyone said, "you're nuts. Just repeating internet rumors" and then Tiger took about 6 weeks off after the PGA?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City. You're spot on there too

Tiger back in the day looked a lot more like a linebacker than he did a golfer. Once the tour testing increased he magically couldn't come back from injuries like he used to.

There is no universe in which tiger looked more like Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis than Villegas or Rory or Adam Scott.

you can't wear ankle socks with cycling shoes

Why not

They make cycling strap sandals

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

you can't wear ankle socks with cycling shoes

Why not

to be honest, most cycling shoes for road are really uncomfortable unless you have something about you ankles, cause if they slide down in the slightest your ankle will get ridiculous blisters from rubbing. if you got tri shoes that would be different, i don't wear socks when i do the bike/run of the triathlons.

City. You're spot on there too

Tiger back in the day looked a lot more like a linebacker than he did a golfer. Once the tour testing increased he magically couldn't come back from injuries like he used to.

There is no universe in which tiger looked more like Ray Lewis or Patrick Willis than Villegas or Rory or Adam Scott.

I almost added the phrasing "tweener linebacker" bc I thought someone would jump on this.

I'm not saying tiger is Ray Lewis, but he'd pass for Kiko Alonso as one example

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60