MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

CIty played some darn fine golf today.

He made two bombs on 3, and 5. I started laughing after he drained on 5, and he thought I was laughing at how he made the putt or something. I was just getting laughing because you don't normally see bombs like that fall in such close succession. He had a bunch more near misses from long range over the course of the day. Lag putting much awesome.

He certainly gave up yards when he was smacking 3-iron off the tee, but not a ton when he hit 4-wood. I'd guess he's maybe 15 yards longer with driver, if both clubs are hit equally well. A pured 4w off 18 tee was about 5 yards past a so-so drive. That 4-wood certainly seemed to do a better job of keeping him out of trouble though. Today's experiment just might give city something to think on.

I hit it half like turd, and half decent. Some good shots out there for sure. 2 good putts, and a whole bunch of bad ones. Didn't keep score. Would guess +10 range, with the majority of that coming on the front.

I tried to steal city's 3xdriver thunder on 18, after he narrowly missed doing it on 15. Got too aggressive with my 3rd, and put it in the bunker. I'm upping the ante on that goal, and making it 5xdriver par. Got the rest of the winter to make it happen.

Maybe try the Modus 120 or 125? Seems to be conflicting info on which Modus is the lowest launching...some places say the 120 and others say the 130. I didn't think the 130 launched low at all.

The steelfibers are graphite with a steel fiber wrap around them. Play like steel, feel closer to graphite. Many people love them...I'm not one of them.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

One of the oddest things about yesterday is that the golf ball seemed to really be flying, compared to other winter rounds. There wasn't any roll in the fairways, but I hit a bunch of iron shots that flew better than I thought they would.

Anyways, enough rambling about that.

https://goo.gl/photos/mUJtcLFMamHvjsUv6

#instagasms

Some musing about TheCityExperiment, since I'm in the office instead of celebrating President Donut Trump's inauguration.

It's not a perfect comparison, but I tried to think about if any drive he hit yesterday would have ended up in trouble, had they been struck with driver instead of the club he hit.

#1 - He tugs the 4w, just barely left of the fairway, directly in front of the bunker. Driver would have been in the bunker.

#2 - He tugs the 3i. Driver would have been in tree trouble. He really never hits driver there during the season though.

#3 - Pulls 4w and it manages to not hit any trees. That drive was trouble no matter what club he hits.

#4 - Hits a nice 4w to the right side of the fairway. Driver makes it to the rough, maybe even into the bunker.

#10 - Tugged 4w to left rough. Driver likely makes the trees. Again though, he doesn't normally hit driver there anyway.

That's really it. No real stinkers to speak of, save for maybe 3. He was fortunate the ball got through on that one though, and capitalized by making a bomb to save par. Driving was very solid.

For one thing, city ought to keep that 4w until the face caves. He hits that club pretty damn great. I haven't really played with anybody that hits fairway wood off the tee as well as he hits that 4w. He's so consistent with it, and really doesn't give up a lot of distance compared to driver.

Beyond just the tee game, it seemed like he made a lot of other smart decisions to keep doubles at bay. Not flirting with a front pin when there was trouble short. Playing short of 14 green when the front pin was conducive to saving par, rather than trying the hero 4w that could have brought some real badness into play.

When you're a low single, trying to go lower, you've got to avoid making double bogeys. City did that yesterday, and posted one of his best rounds ever from the tips at Hobbits. Every double narrows your room for error. It's a lot easier to shoot a 79 when you don't make any doubles. You can make 7 bogeys (more if you have some birds) and still post it. You can bogey more than a third of the holes and break 80. Toss in 2-3 doubles, and all the sudden you've got to play some pretty sharp golf the other 15-16 holes to keep it under 80. I think if he brings things down to averaging 1 double bogey/round instead of 2, he'll be back in the 3.somethings pretty quickly this season.

I know he's anti-fitting, but I'd still be interested to see how a well fit driver could impact his play with that club.

At the end of the day, I think yesterday was too conservative, but it was a valuable experiment. It'll help him find the right balance of aggressive and conservative.

hey nerf, i didn't know you had a 2nd account on wrx. isn't that illegal?

case in point: http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1431954-to-get-birdies-or-to-avoid-bogies-doubles-or-worse/

lol, same exact topic came up in this thread yesterday.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

hey nerf, i didn't know you had a 2nd account on wrx. isn't that illegal?

case in point: http://www.golfwrx.c...ubles-or-worse/

lol, same exact topic came up in this thread yesterday.

I saw that. (And actually commented in there.) Thought I was having a bizarro moment trying to remember what I did last night. Then I realized I'm not taking any pain meds right now.

GTF- What's the best golf shot you have ever witnessed? Can include, but does not have to be from you. (Yes Fabb, I left it open to being about yourself for you).

I think mine has to be Bangass' hole out birdie from 175. The green / pin location was extremely difficult from his angle. Left rough after drop, left pin, last 50 yards is all carry over waste bunker, steep bunker face, a few feet of fringe, then a front pin location as well. All around superb shot. Plus, seeing it come from someone who is that bad is cool too.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

GTF- What's the best golf shot you have ever witnessed? Can include, but does not have to be from you. (Yes Fabb, I left it open to being about yourself for you).

About 2ish years ago maybe, I topped/pushed a ball about 10 feet in front of me into some crap on the right side of the tee box on #14 at Glen Dale with DT. Lost ball, pretty impressive.

About 2ish years ago maybe, I topped/pushed a ball about 10 feet in front of me into some crap on the right side of the tee box on #14 at Glen Dale with DT. Lost ball, pretty impressive.

i got that beat. it happened at waverly woods. a certain unnamed person hit such an remarkable tee shot that at impact the ball defied the laws of physics and traveled at a 93° angle, between his legs, then through his fellow competitors feet, and rattled around under the golf cart they were riding in.

simply an amazing shot.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

i got that beat. it happened at waverly woods. a certain unnamed person hit such an remarkable tee shot that at impact the ball defied the laws of physics and traveled at a 93° angle, between his legs, then through his fellow competitors feet, and rattled around under the golf cart they were riding in.

simply an amazing shot.

I have quite a collection of amazing shots.

Well that derailed quickly... I think I like it better.

Nice topic, way to get the Threadizen juices going this am. FYI: anyone can start their own GTx topic. Not limited to only FABB. - but it may be turned 180 and made better by someone else. Always subject to change.

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

I think mine has to be Bangass' hole out birdie from 175. The green / pin location was extremely difficult from his angle. Left rough after drop, left pin, last 50 yards is all carry over waste bunker, steep bunker face, a few feet of fringe, then a front pin location as well. All around superb shot. Plus, seeing it come from someone who is that bad is cool too.

l0vr6tm.gif

One of the best shots I ever witnessed was Eagle during the Capitol Cup. He hit a 3W from about 240 up hill to a back left pin, all carry. Stopped about 6 feet from the hole and he believed the entire Capitol Cup might be riding on. It turned out to be meaningless, but not in my heart.

One of my best (results wise) was a hole out from 180 at Forest Park. It's an elevated green with two tee boxes right near the green, and I didn't even see it go in, but 8 randos did. #godStatusWithForestParkRandosTheBestKindOfRandos.

I saw a hole in one from my Mom, but it bounced off a tree, rolled across the cart path, up on the green and in. She called "bank" but not "cart path" so it kind of sucked. And she was a little in front of the tee box so i made her re-tee.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I have quite a collection of amazing shots.

i always like the string of chuckles of disbelief that follows one of them.

ok, since T.i.T acknowledged it was him, let me tell the full story. this happened at least 4 years ago, and i remember it like it was yesterday.

me, T.i.T, goose and fabb are playing waverly on fine spring saturday. everyone's going along fine, some birdies, some bogeys, some pars. nothing spectacular, just some solid golf with some good buds. we get to the short par 4 6th (after the short par 3, housing down the right), and fabb tees off, goose, tees off, i tee off and then now it's T.i.T's turn.

he pulls a hybrid of some kind. steps up, uber-confident and goes through his routine. goose and fabb are a few yards back looking at something or talking quietly, not really paying attention. T.i.T takes a mighty lash, nearly misses the ball but strikes it off the heel, and it comes shooting back through his legs, though MY legs, and bangs around in the undercarriage of the cart. 100% NOT a practice swing.

Fabb: what was that?

T.i.T: oh, nothing. don't worry about it. (T.i.T looks at me like 'dude, c'mon man, back me up on this'...)

me: YEAH IT WAS NOTHING. EVERYTHING IS FINE. PLEASE CONTINUE ON WITH YOUR DAY. ALL IS WELL.

T.i.T re-tees and we go about finishing the round.

you might think it was weird that i kept my mouth shut.

it really wasn't.

here's the look i got. i defy you guys to betray that.

thelook.jpg

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTF:

I made it to the western PA finals my senior year in high school. It was played at Latrobe Country Club (Arnie's home course). It was off and on thunderstorms all day. The 10th is a long downhill par 3. It was a tough hole. The one kid in my group (who played in our section and I actually knew pretty well) hits this 5-wood in the rain that 2 hops right into the hole for a 1. Just a ridiculous shot. He ended up making the cut to move on to the state semi's right on the number. I made 2 8's on the front 9 and ended up missing the cut by 4. Brutal.

It was a really cool day though. Arnie came and took pictures and spent a few minutes with each group. He then went to HIS airport, hopped on his jet, and flew off. There was about an hour rain delay. We went into the clubhouse and were allowed to have as many Arnold Palmer drinks as we wanted.

Proof:

Maybe try the Modus 120 or 125? Seems to be conflicting info on which Modus is the lowest launching...some places say the 120 and others say the 130. I didn't think the 130 launched low at all.

The steelfibers are graphite with a steel fiber wrap around them. Play like steel, feel closer to graphite. Many people love them...I'm not one of them.

When I tried the 130 it didn't launch low at all. But I've heard mixed things about 120s and 125s. I guess it just comes down to trying them all side by side.

Question. I found some Nippon SPB shafts on ebay in the flex I'm looking for. Is a 35.75" 5 iron shaft standard?

The answer is yes. The answer is also no. Some irons add 1.25" to overall length, some add 1". The BBM is what you need to know about your iron set.

38" is also the new "standard" for 5 iron length (TM Callaway). It was / still is 37.75" for some manufacturers (Mizuno, Titleist).

XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258

Question. I found some Nippon SPB shafts on ebay in the flex I'm looking for. Is a 35.75" 5 iron shaft standard?

all depends on your irons BBTG (bottom bore to ground). 35.75 sounds about right tho.

It was a really cool day though. Arnie came and took pictures and spent a few minutes with each group. He then went to HIS airport, hopped on his jet, and flew off. There was about an hour rain delay. We went into the clubhouse and were allowed to have as many Arnold Palmer drinks as we wanted.

Proof:

sweet pics bro. i'd tell you to look at the camera but i probably would have fainted around AP, so i think you did well to stay vertical.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

The answer is yes. The answer is also no. Some irons add 1.25" to overall length, some add 1". The BBM is what you need to know about your iron set.

38" is also the new "standard" for 5 iron length (TM Callaway). It was / still is 37.75" for some manufacturers (Mizuno, Titleist).

This. But 35.75 is probably not nearly long enough to work in a 5 iron at anywhere close to "standard" length.

Swap TM and Titleist here.

TM Qi10LS Hulk PVD 70TX

Ping G425 LST 3W/Hulk 70TX

G425 3H/Ventus 9x HY

PXG 0311 Gen 4 T/ST Combo/PX LZ 6.5

Vokey SM9 50F/54S/58M, DG Black Onyx x100

This. But 35.75 is probably not nearly long enough to work in a 5 iron at anywhere close to "standard" length.

Thanks for the knowledge drops. Sounds like they are almost 1" shorter than standard. Looks like they wont work for me. I'll keep looking. Thanks, y'all!

Sweet pics Sneek.

You didn't need to have the timestamp on the photo though. The mock-neck gives it away.

I'm rocking the mock-neck shirt and Callaway golf shoes. What in the hell was I thinking?

The kid in the cargo shorts was the one that made the hole in one.

I have a nice picture somewhere where all 3 of us were looking at the camera. I need to find it. Also, I made damn sure that I was going to be standing next to Arnie for the whole thing.