2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Question for you guys...anyone have issues with insomnia? I usually have issues sleeping, but I'm never really sure where to draw the line between sucking it up and going about my day, or calling in sick because I know I won't accomplish a whole lot.

I never have trouble falling asleep.

If I wake up in the wee hours (like between 2 and 4), I have trouble getting back to sleep.

I don't (and probably never will) take drugs for it. That's just a path I don't want to start down.

I have NO PROBLEM occasionally calling in when you need to re-charge, or are finally getting a bomb-Word not allowed sleep going. You're probably even going to be more productive in the long run.

Work is not life.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

if the straps have a velco base, he makes the cut. otherwise, tiger's trunk slammin on friday. the east coast workflow will come to a grinding halt if tiger is available on live streaming.

also, did i say that the pats should be worried about pitt? man. awful bet. i used up all my mojo picking city's over/under line on birdies and final score. chief and DC - check your paypals accounts.

siegel - if you have enough of an issue sleeping that you are asking The Hive for advice... yeah, i'd go see a doctor. could be something as simple as changing up your go-to-bed routine.

few things to try if you are so inclined:

- no caffeine after 12 noon

- no screentime of any kind at least one hour before bed. books are ok.

- don't do anything in your bedroom except F and sleep. don't read in there, don't get on your phone in there, don't watch tv in there. make it a panic room/private sanctuary from outside forces.

- if you're lying in bed for longer than 30 mins and still can't sleep, GET UP. go to another room. make yourself some chamomile tea. try again when you start feeling sleepy. don't just lie there tossing and turning and thinking about how you can't sleep.

- sit on your left hand.

-

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

They make natural sleep aides but go see a DR.

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

siegel - if you have enough of an issue sleeping that you are asking The Hive for advice... yeah, i'd go see a doctor. could be something as simple as changing up your go-to-bed routine.

- don't do anything in your bedroom except F and sleep. don't read in there, don't get on your phone in there, don't watch tv in there. make it a panic room/private sanctuary from outside forces.

- if you're lying in bed for longer than 30 mins and still can't sleep, GET UP. go to another room. make yourself some chamomile tea. try again when you start feeling sleepy. don't just lie there tossing and turning and thinking about how you can't sleep.

- sit on your left hand.

-

What Eagle said is great, and correct. Do all of that stuff.

However, to get over the hump, the method is simple and very effective. You gotta increase sleep pressure. Bottom line. Keep yourself up (without caffeine, mind you) so that you allow yourself 4 hours of sleep (i.e., push back lights out). You will notice after a week or a few days that you're going to start getting increasingly tired before the pushed back lights out time; that's when you move it back an hour, then 2 hours, until you're where lights out gets you an 8 hour sleep opportunity. While doing this, if you ain't asleep in 15 minutes, get out of bed. If you wake up early, just stay up. This will work, unless your "insomnia" is rooted in some kind of an underlying pathology that requires attention.

Sleep meds aren't the answer. Also, if you see a Dr., make it a CBSM Ph.D. psychologist. I know a few in the DC area, if you're interested.

Titleist 917D2 (8.5), OG Whiteboard 73
Callaway Steelhead Fd (15), Diamana D+ 80
Titleist 816H1 (19), Diamana D+ 90
Titleist 712 MB 4-PW, TTDG X100
Vokey SM5 50, 54, 58, TTDG S300
Cameron Newport, 34"

- sit on your left hand.

-

What Eagle said is great, and correct. Do all of that stuff.

However, to get over the hump, the method is simple and very effective. You gotta increase sleep pressure. Bottom line. Keep yourself up (without caffeine, mind you) so that you allow yourself 4 hours of sleep (i.e., push back lights out). You will notice after a week or a few days that you're going to start getting increasingly tired before the pushed back lights out time; that's when you move it back an hour, then 2 hours, until you're where lights out gets you an 8 hour sleep opportunity. While doing this, if you ain't asleep in 15 minutes, get out of bed. If you wake up early, just stay up. This will work, unless your "insomnia" is rooted in some kind of an underlying pathology that requires attention.

Sleep meds aren't the answer. Also, if you see a Dr., make it a CBSM Ph.D. psychologist. I know a few in the DC area, if you're interested.

Thanks. I'll give that a shot, and if it doesn't seem to work I'll hit you up for the doctor info.

Cobra F8 12* (HZRDUS Yellow 65 x)
TEE e8 Beta 15* (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
Cobra F6 3h (Aldila Tour Blue 85x)
TEE ex10 4h (UST Mamiya Recoil 650 F5 x)
Srixon z745 5-PW (KBS Tour-V x)
Callaway md3 52* S grind
Callaway md2 56/60* PM grind
Scotty Select Newport 2.6

I'm not wicked smaaht, like PQ, but I've got my standard suggestion to contribute: have some kids. When you actually get opportunities for some quality sleep, YOU WILL SLEEP. Belie dat.

quoted for truth.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I made it out for some golf this weekend. Love these mild temps and it is looking good this week as well.

I left work a little early on Friday and was able to spend about 30 minutes on the range and walk a few holes. I have been working hard lately on keeping the club in front of me on the takeaway and not sucking it to the inside. It feels exaggerated to me, but I am sure it is still coming slightly to the inside. I have been seeing good results so far. Nice little fades with almost every club. It has made keeping the ball in play easier. But I am still getting used to the ball flight and trusting my alignment.

On Saturday I went back out to the Beck for the 10 am shotgun. Played with some nice older members. I played 15 holes before I had to leave. We played from the whites and I was +5 through 15, but could have been a couple of strokes better. I hit a lot of good shots and a few bad ones, but overall pretty consistent for January golf.

We started on 14. I hit one over the green which led to a double. Pars on 15 & 16. I birdied 17 after a great drive and an ok hybrid left me 50 yards in from the fairway. Hit 60* to 12 feet and made the putt. Par on 18 and we went to the front 9. Bogeyed 1 and 2 after missing putts inside of 10 feet. Hit a beautiful 7 iron tee shot on 3 that was fading right in to the pin. The one guy said he was feeling thirsty and I was hoping we had insurance. It ended up 15 feet short and I 2-putted for par. Made a 40 foot left to right bomb for birdie on 4. The pin was at the front of the green and I was at the back. If it were the summer I don't think I would have been able to keep the ball on the green. Made a bad double on 5 after messing around with some trees. Up and down par on 6. Bogey on 7 after missing a short putt. Crushed a drive on 8 and had 225 in from the fairway. Hit another ok hybrid to 15 yards short of the green but only came away with par after missing a 6 footer. Routine par on 9 and then almost chipped in on 10 but made another par. Walked back up to the clubhouse after that after realizing what time it was.

It was a really enjoyable round. The M2 driver continued to be solid. Hit 2 nice tee shots with the M2 3-wood as well. I need to spend some time at the range with the hybrid. No 3-putts but I did miss some makeable ones. I'll chalk that up to winter rust. All in all very happy to be playing golf in January.

IMO insomnia has 2 causes: mental or physical.

When I first moved to MD I had some serious mental garb going on. Family, life, future. I didn't sleep for days. Lied awake for hours just running through stuff in my mind. It's like I just never allowed myself to relax enough to get to a point of rest. Eventually turned into just accepting it and staying awake a couple days at a time. (Really great for a relationship). I was also not working and believe a large part of it was not being mentally challenged / exhausted each day. I went from an exhausting 8+ years of school and work to doing nothing. Left my head full of energy at the end of the day. Eventually got everything sorted out, got a job (read "started using my brain for something")and sleep came back naturally.

There are legitimate physical imbalances that hinder your ability to sleep. Chemical imbalances in the brain, hormones, disorders, etc. These issues are best discovered by a doc and treated through them. PQs offer of some good docs is a great reference.

Basically need to figure out which side of the spectrum you are on. Not saying your underlying cause is because you don't use your noggin and you have family issues, but there are all sorts of mental issues that could be causing it. Good ex-marine friend of mine didn't sleep for weeks when he came home. Finally got his mind at ease and now he has no problems. If you are free as a bird mentally, I'd seek the expertise of a good doc.

TM TI M2 - Yellow HZRDUS HC 6.5
XR16 5w - Speeder 757
Taylormade CB 3-AW
Vokey 254, 258
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Basically need to figure out which side of the spectrum you are on.

I had it really bad right before I switched career fields @ 10 years ago, its awful. You want to sleep, then you start thinking about sleep, then you stare at your clock thinking about how bad you want to sleep because you are going to be exhausted if you cant.

Random list of things I've done in the last 5 years or so to improve sleep including copying half of Eagle's list:

No caffeine after noon.

Dont take a long nap when you get home from work.

Some sort of physical exercise every day - workout, 9 holes, 20 minutes of yoga, hit balls for an hour...something.

Glass of bourbon every night @ 2 hours prior to sleepy time - **not medically approved yet

Dont watch tv in bed.

Try having a fan or some white noise on, I cant stress how much this helped me.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Is it just me or does Fabbs look a heck of a lot like Adam Hadwin, who just shot a 59 today? Oh, and by the way, who the hell is Adam Hadwin? Never heard of him before today.

People mistake me for a number of different handsome athletes and celebrities. It's getting quite tiresome, really.

I totally understand. I know how it can get tough sometimes when you're born handsome instead of rich.

Great weekend at home in NH with the folks, dad had another hip put in and was up and around the afternoon after the surgery. Absolutely amazing they have people going up and down stairs 12 hours after surgery. Unbelievable really. I love it up there but man does their golf season blow.

We are so lucky down here golf weather wise and yet I we complain if we have a bad 6-8 week stretch in Jan/Feb/Mar.

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P / Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Also strange AF that the Champions Tour cancelled their final round because it was windy but the web.com Bahamas event was played in worse conditions and they made those guys play through it. So soft.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

just talked to the GM at timbers. they aren't going to re-open until maybe May. that's an extensive renovation, and one that i'll support. typically enjoyed the routing - always hated the conditions of bunkers. it's been four years since i've been out there, that's a long enough sabbatical.

booked a DCGT event for saturday june 10. :)

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I definitely had issues with insomnia in grad school at times. It was stress about "Oh my god what am I doing here? Am I ever going to graduate?" I hated lying in bed for hours unable to fall asleep. So I swore that I wasn't going to lie there more than an hour. The good thing about grad school is that no one cares if you come in late or not at all.

For the things got better when I got a better handle one school. Not really helpful advice for others. But cutting out caffeine and getting a lot of exercise to make yourself tired was helpful too.

just talked to the GM at timbers. they aren't going to re-open until maybe May. that's an extensive renovation, and one that i'll support. typically enjoyed the routing - always hated the conditions of bunkers. it's been four years since i've been out there, that's a long enough sabbatical.

booked a DCGT event for saturday june 10. :)

I like Timbers. It is a fun course. Great mix of shorties and long ones. The Par 3s are all good holes. If the bunkers are fixed, I'd put it into a once every other month rota. It's very close to home. Generally slow rounds out there, though.

Cameron Newport, 34"

I may have surprise availability to play sat march 4. Thinking maryland national or musket ridge. I've never played either. Drive by maryland national all the time.

An interest in setting to groups to go out?

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

I couldn't have had insomnia problems in grad school. I was either passed out drunk or didn't care about falling asleep.

Maybe we're just not made to sleep through the night guys.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I may have surprise availability to play sat march 4. Thinking maryland national or musket ridge. I've never played either. Drive by maryland national all the time.

March 4 is my birthday. How does that really relate to your post? I don't know. Citygame's Mom made me Tapioca last year on my Bday. That was awesome.

That's too far for me to go these days.

Cameron Newport, 34"

GTM2: come up with a more "country club golf name" than hudson swafford.

first entry: real golfing person

second entry: faux name

i humbly submit:

1. davis love III

2. woodrow alistaire mcwellington the fourth

btw, love hudson's witb. so mishmash. i count 5 non-related manufacturers.

http://www.golfwrx.com/425180/hudson-swafford-witb-2017/

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

March 4 is my birthday. How does that really relate to your post? I don't know. Citygame's Mom made me Tapioca last year on my Bday. That was awesome.

That's too far for me to go these days.

Pq birthday bash golf outing 2017

Cobra Bio Cell + with Speeder vc 7.2 tour spec
Diablo Tr Edge 13
909H 15
AP2 PX 6.0
Odyssey Metal-X #2
SCOR 47 & BV 52 & 60

March 4th is a long way out. I'd play, but I don't know if I'm driving out to the boondocks to do it.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green