MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

Can't say I disagree DC. My purchase was somewhat of an impulse buy, largely to see if there is a possibility of me liking that kind of set up. If results are positive enough I plan to install a shaft I know/am comfortable with in hopes to get an even better idea if I might like it. I've had very limited time with it so I think I'm still trying to get through the mental part of having a club that feels so short in relation to how the club face (loft) looks. I want the SL to work so I'm definitely going to give it more run than some other random club I would normally buy.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

xxxxxxx is pretty much the exact opposite of what I'm hitting now, but that makes it interesting to me.

Exactly the reason I tried the one lengths. I was fully prepared to write them off as a joke - mostly because of my disdain for DeChambeau - but haven't been able to do that yet. Even if I end up not sticking with them, I'm forced to admit that there is something to the idea.

When Sully and I win the DCGT event this Saturday I will be willing to say they are staying for the whole season.

Sully - I would grade the par 5s as a C- overall, I figured that was baked into my grade of a 5/10 for the course. The only hole that's even borderline reasonable is 9, hit driver/5W to the green and 2 putt birdie. 2 and 16 are ludicrous, 13 is probably not, just that we both pounded drives right into the tiniest pond I've ever seen.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

DC I actually saw the one lengths in the PGA Superstore and thought about hitting them. They had a nice weight to them and didn't look bad at address.

I'll be honest, I have been to the PGA store thrice since we have been down here (SC) and each time it confuses my search for my next great iron set even more. My first test is looks and feel (weight during waggle). The Hogan Ft Worths passed both tests but I am uneasy about the future of that company. Other than that it looks like it's going to be a shootout between Callaway, Mizzy and Srixon.

Or I could just play/practice more and learn to love my AP2s again.

The one lengths are def on my radar to try. I don't think I'll go for the forged version tho.

you guys...

got out with DC today at redgate for a practice round for the us golf classic qualifier.

the what?

you heard me. the us golf classic qualifier.

huh?

just click here for more info silly.

ANYWAY...

we were (-4) net on our front 9 best ball -playing it down, real golf, no practice shots- and then had to strongarm our way thru a 4some in front of us (all my doing btw, but DC certainly didn't mind reaping the benefits) so we lost a bit of momentum, and finished at a team (-5) or (-6), depending on whether you count the inevitable bogey on the play-thru hole - which i don't. we didn't play our best, but we weren't awful either. lots of timely putts for bird/net bird/par save.

the reason why i'm replying to both of your posts? DC had the cobra one's in the bag. and they looked so sweet and sounded even better. easiest 5i i've ever swung. something i have to demo/buy at some point in my life. he had the non-forged version which had a nice size head and a little bit of offset for forgiveness. i think they were all 8i length. he played very well with them, lots of beautiful, high irons.

i'm not one who reports round speed along with every other stat, but we teed off at 3:10 and were done at 6:22 on a crowded muni. just a sweet spot for playing fast. the greens need some water, but it's looking okay. on a scale of 1-7 (highest it could ever get on a 10pt scale is a 7), it was a solid 5, maybe a 6.

i felt like i found my game a bit, after being completely lost at creighton and pb dye. 79. more to come tomorrow.

Having long arms for my height, a preference of gripping down on irons, and 8 iron being my "favorite" iron in the bag, everything is steering me towards a set of one lengths. I can't justify the $300 price difference for the forged versions cause in all honesty, I could care less about the sound or feel, I just want to be consistent. I think a lot of people didnt take these irons seriously but most have said that IF they can get over the mental hurdle of having a 7/8 iron shaft in a 5 iron head, they would switch. But again, golf is game of tradition and many I imagine would have difficulty in accepting the idea of one-lengths, but everything in my mind is saying that it is for me.

Titleist TSR2 8*

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Vokey 54*

Vokey 60*

MySpider Tour X 

Bar clavel is solid but not for anniversary.

Little Italy is overpriced for what you get, but if you still want to get overpriced but get something special... Cinghale.

Bottega is going to get you into Baltimore, but It's so good. It's where I go for my birthday every year and where we take people from out of town who I know are down. Bring your favorite wine. Get out of there for 80 bones and feel awesome about it. And you CAN split a branzino there... At least you could the last time I was there.

Woodberry is the kind of place that was all the rage 10 years ago... When farm to table and waiters wearing gingham was new. It's located amongst housing that is overpriced and consequently the restaurant is overpriced. BUT if youre looking for "farm to hipster", it's good for that. It really is good. I'm just over it. You're from the sticks. You're probably not over it. Lol.

Let me know where you're going. I'll try to go there and make a scene so your wife will have a funny story.

Reminds me of a joke.

How did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

He was eating pizza before it was cool.

Thanks to all for the recommendations, will check them out. Its just so hard living out here in the sticks...:-) (we're still using emojis)

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Woodberry is the kind of place that was all the rage 10 years ago... When farm to table and waiters wearing gingham was new. It's located amongst housing that is overpriced and consequently the restaurant is overpriced. BUT if youre looking for "farm to hipster", it's good for that. It really is good. I'm just over it. You're from the sticks. You're probably not over it. Lol.

1n6k3a.jpg

Bar clavel is solid but not for anniversary.

Little Italy is overpriced for what you get, but if you still want to get overpriced but get something special... Cinghale.

Bottega is going to get you into Baltimore, but It's so good. It's where I go for my birthday every year and where we take people from out of town who I know are down. Bring your favorite wine. Get out of there for 80 bones and feel awesome about it. And you CAN split a branzino there... At least you could the last time I was there.

Let me know where you're going. I'll try to go there and make a scene so your wife will have a funny story.

Reminds me of a joke.

How did the hipster burn the roof of his mouth?

He was eating pizza before it was cool.

Thanks to all for the recommendations, will check them out. Its just so hard living out here in the sticks...:-) (we're still using emojis)

the clean up afterwards is rough too.

a7e4930e127733d9e407ccbb06dd9ba9.jpg

Having long arms for my height, a preference of gripping down on irons, and 8 iron being my "favorite" iron in the bag, everything is steering me towards a set of one lengths. I can't justify the $300 price difference for the forged versions cause in all honesty, I could care less about the sound or feel, I just want to be consistent. I think a lot of people didnt take these irons seriously but most have said that IF they can get over the mental hurdle of having a 7/8 iron shaft in a 5 iron head, they would switch. But again, golf is game of tradition and many I imagine would have difficulty in accepting the idea of one-lengths, but everything in my mind is saying that it is for me.

DC's were the non-forged.

and far be it for me to encourage you buying new clubs, but...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-2017-COBRA-KING-F7-ONE-LENGTH-IRON-SET-STEEL-F7-SHAFTS-CHOOSE-FLEX-5-PW-GW-/162369278578?var=&hash=item25cdf69272:m:m5RVGm-R52OISPehUBgGoJw

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Alright, enough memeing for now.

Golf Talk Thursday : What golf tech in the past 5'ish years do you think has impacted your game the most?

If it weren't for getting banged up I might have a different answer, but it's definitely the improvement in graphite iron shaft offerings for me. I guess steelfiber has been around a while, but it feels like it's just been more recently that you started having a lot of options that offer steel-like weight, and control.

GTTh: Switchable shafts. I've been able to try several different combos where as before I would have needed to buy the ENTIRE club several times over. Makes dialing it in a lot easier.

Oooh, that's a really good one. Definitely a game-changer to be able to swap and try stuff on the spot. No need for multiple setups, and/or trial and error with gluing up a club with different shafts over a longer period of time.

Good Morning Peeps! I'm back from a non eventful - eventful vacay with my kid and wife. We saw trains. Lots...and lots...of...trains.... LOL

DRIVER:  Callaway Rogue ST 10.5

FAIRWAYS:  Callaway Rogue ST 3, 9, 11 Fairway Woods

HYBRIDS:  Callaway Big Bertha 3 Hybrid, Rogue ST 4 Hybrid

IRONS:  Callaway Rogue ST 4-AW

WEDGES:  Callaway Jaws Raw 50 S Grind, 54 S Grind, 58 Z Grind 

PUTTER:  Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

BALL:  Testing

A man has to have options!

GTTh :

Maybe trackman. Combined with learning about the ball flight laws.

I think the first time I got on trackman was a real eye-opener.

Pretty much every swing I make in practice is evaluated by how it effects face and path (i.e. ball flight).

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

GTT: Graphite iron shafts definitely. Also the Superstroke type grips. I dont know when they came around but they've made a big difference to me - I never liked the regular size, pistol style putter grips.

Runner up - really comfy, spikeless golf shoes for walkers.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

GTTh

Adjustable hosel I no longer have to fix my swing...just tweak the club and I'm set! And like Nerf said, it allows for changing shafts. This was the sole reason I started building my own clubs - wanted to try a few different shafts in my old R9 460. Getting into doing my own club work helped me learn a lot about equipment and how certain changes can affect flight.

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

GTTh: As vtnerf said, interchaneable shafts and for me, oversized/jumbo grips for putter. Has helped me a lot for someone who rolled his hands/wrists with the flatstick.

Titleist TSR2 8*

Titleist 917f2 13.5*

Taylormade P790 UDI 2

Ping iCrossover - 3 iron

Taylormade P7MB 4-AW DG 105x

Vokey 54*

Vokey 60*

MySpider Tour X 

Good Morning Peeps! I'm back from a non eventful - eventful vacay with my kid and wife. We saw trains. Lots...and lots...of...trains.... LOL

Did you vacation in Cumberland?

Strasburg PA. Very rural. Not bad though...

BACKUPS:  Odyssey Toulon Garage Le Mans Tri-Hot 5K Double Wide, MannKrafted Custom, Slighter Custom

i'm not one who reports round speed along with every other stat, but we teed off at 3:10 and were done at 6:22 on a crowded muni. just a sweet spot for playing fast.

Looking to get out from under that slow play reputation.

1n6lb5.jpg

Nope. Nice try, though.

heh. waited the whole front after we hit 4. pushed through on #10 and NEVER SAW THOSE GUYS AGAIN. caught a twosome on #17, and they were fishing out *multiple* balls from the pond just off 18 tee box, when i gave the a "HEY!" to let them know we were on the box. they picked it up quick after that.

i still don't understand why that foursome gave us such an issue playing thru. they had gone in to get beers, and came back out. they were driving to the tee box, when i pulled up and asked to play thru. no one was behind us. no one was in front of them. we were a twosome, and were literally gone in 3 minutes. just don't understand why it's a problem. ZERO chance they offer to let us thru, even on a par 3. i asked, they waffled, i said 'we'll be quick' and just hopped out of the cart and started walking to the tee box. #d!ckmovefosho, but hey, it worked. it benefited both groups: we're not waiting on them, they're not feeling rushed for us. tho they probably wouldn't give 2 figs if we waited on them the whole back 9.

ANYWAY...

i've made one adjustment in my setup and it's been working. funny, i conceived of it prior to the pb dye round, but never implemented (save one shot which i hit pretty good). it's a bit of a "raise up" just before i takeaway the club. i mean, i might be standing a grand total of 1/8" taller, but it feels like i'm changing my posture by a yuge amount. for whatever reason, for so small a change, it makes me feel like i have so much more room for my arms on the downswing. dunno. don't care how, just that it helps. only had one terrible iron (off a par 3, still made par from 60+ feet), which is a big improvement over how i've been hitting it these past couple rounds. lots of pure-esque contact.

funny situation: we're on #12, which has a steep drop off at 150. DC and i are right next to each other just behind that yardage marker, he's got a weird lie in the rough, i'm in the first cut. pin is up front. severely downhill, downwind.

DC: ok, it's 145 front edge, gonna play like 160.

me: 160?

DC: huh? oh yeah. math is not my strong suit. <changes clubs, hits, comes up 10 yards short from weird stance, weird lie>

me: guess you should've played it like 160.

me: that's okay, i got our birdie right here. <lines up with a 9i, and just hits a high beauty, right at the stick>

DC: oooooo, get on it.

me: be right b!tch

DC: it's still in the air

me: please be right?

DC: so much for birdie.

ball lands on the back third of the green and then i three putt. lols all around. well, we weren't laughing at the 3 putt, actually kinda po'd but ok to laugh about it afterwards.

next hole, par 5:

me: see those trees over on the right? we can reach them. at the bottom of them is not only grass, but water.

DC: you botched that call back to creighton farms.

me: i know. whatever. anyway, there's a tiny pond there. don't hit it there.

we both hit it in there.

good times. i think if we play well we'll have a chance at this thing. gotta make those timely putts for birdie and par. they'll be the key. our team strategy is pretty sound from what i could see from this practice round. just gotta make it happen.

anyway, at this price entry point, it's a low barrier towards playing tournament golf on a grander scale.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Went to college in Lancaster, Strasburg (at least was) pretty nice. Then again I grew up in the sticks so that may be why I liked it a lot.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 12 I think I'd still rather be chipping from 5-10 yards short of the green than putting from where you did - (@ 30 feet past the front pin, putting back downhill)

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

On 12 I think I'd still rather be chipping from 5-10 yards short of the green than putting from where you did - (@ 30 feet past the front pin, putting back downhill)

with that particular pin on the front right, maybe. but i'd always prefer to putt a birdie chance. make % on that putt - while low- has to be higher than chipping in. if you're talking about saving par, you're right.

with this strategy, we had it covered: me with a birdie putt, you chipping uphill.

in the end -newsflash- we both made bogey. LOL

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

GTTh :

Maybe trackman. Combined with learning about the ball flight laws.

I think the first time I got on trackman was a real eye-opener.

Pretty much every swing I make in practice is evaluated by how it effects face and path (i.e. ball flight).

Some great answers so far. Stuff I didn't even think about. Trackman is one of them. I think it'd be awesome if something like the new Trackman Range (http://trackmangolf.com/products/range) starts becoming prevalent. Granted you're still at the mercy of the quality of the range balls, but it'd be so cool to practice at a place that has it.

Went to college in Lancaster, Strasburg (at least was) pretty nice. Then again I grew up in the sticks so that may be why I liked it a lot.

It still is. Peaceful, but Lancaster is growing and becoming very yuppie, very quickly. Definitely up and coming.

Yuppie: I think I dated myself!

Golf Talk Thursday : What golf tech in the past 5'ish years do you think has impacted your game the most?

easy answer for me.

GolfWRX.com

not joking. i've met more golfy golfers and played more rounds of enjoyable golf with you nerds since joining this website. being on here has increased my joy in the game by a metric ton.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

easy answer for me.

GolfWRX.com

not joking. i've met more golfy golfers and played more rounds of enjoyable golf with you nerds since joining this website. being on here has increased my joy in the game by a metric ton.

Not to get all sappy: But I agree 100%. This site has helped me a ton with meeting other people. Golfers, industry folks, and exposing me to so many more things that more than guys and gals that golf a couple times a year get exposed to. It allowed me to get into the industry and meet my best friend. It's given me more than I've given it. It's also conversely, prompted me to change my bag like 23 times over the past 12 years! LOL

GTTh: I like Nerf's answer. Makes trying new shafts on the driver easy, so it's easier to find the one that works.

After that, I'm gonna be a curmudgeon and say that club technology hasn't changed in any meaningful way in the last 5 years. I'm playing 2012 irons, 2013 fairway woods, 2013 wedges, 2013 putter, 2012 hybrid. The only newer thing I'm playing is driver, and I don't think it's any better than the 2012 RAZR Fit I used to play. Heck that 2012 driver had all the adjustable nonsense, so maybe even the original good answer Nerf gave doesn't count :).