MD/VA/DC Golfers - Ten Seconds or Less

eagle1997

What I found interesting over the weekend is that Monte had 15 guys and then thechief just said this, so 16. He didn't make a single change for anyone that wasn't setup or backswing. He said he would also fix things in transition, but I don't recall him doing that for anyone. Then the first thing I saw on the Instruction forum when I came back is about how someone needs to actively flex their left wrist at P6 to get proper shaft lean and lag. After looking up what P6 meant, that seems pretty silly.

Here's the shot Monte and Goose hit on 16. I have it at 290 yards right there. Their balls were both in some sopping wet ground, so there was no roll. 285 carry at the absolute worst. The overhead looks like you could go just left of the trees and make this line, but that's not the case because of overhanging branches. Monte and Goose both hit solid 10 yard draws, so they were right of that and over the trees.

The hole looked pretty odd from the tee box and you couldn't see the green or the fairway past the 2nd fairway bunker, so I don't think either one of them actually knew how perfect this line was. Off the tee it was two solid shots and two big shrugs. But they have to be among the best placed drives I've seen in the last few years.

What I found interesting over the weekend is that Monte had 15 guys and then thechief just said this, so 16. He didn't make a single change for anyone that wasn't setup or backswing. He said he would also fix things in transition, but I don't recall him doing that for anyone. Then the first thing I saw on the Instruction forum when I came back is about how someone needs to actively flex their left wrist at P6 to get proper shaft lean and lag. After looking up what P6 meant, that seems pretty silly.

It's funny because he talks about those P numbers in conversation but I think it's somewhat sarcastically. That was clearly one of those methods that he tried back in the day and had bad results with. If you went by the 16 person sample size, everyone who golfs a lot (or is reasonably athletic) will make a GOOD downswing if they are coming from the right position.

One guy really wasn't doing anything out of whack, but his rhythm was wayyy off (think Ai Miyazato backswing). Monte told him to make the fastest backswing he's ever taken in his life: BOOM, perfect rhythm. Then we watched a side by side of his first swing with Ernie Els. Ernie's ball was in the air before the student's backswing was complete!

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Spent 45 minutes with Monte this afternoon after he was done with the clinic. It took him all of 3 swings with my wedge to figure out my major flaws, then spent the next 30 getting me to try different things to see what would click for me.

For those who have seen the D4D video, it is essentially "Shoulder out, elbow in" on the backswing and getting a more diagonal hand path to and past the ball on the downswing. A couple ball position and posture fixes and gave me some drills to work on.

Probably hit 40 balls afterwards to finish the bucket and not a single one left. I realize I have a lot of work to do to undo 25 years of playing a hook, so I can foresee some ugly rounds ahead of me.

Did you guys take 10 or 15 minutes for short game at all?

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Here's the shot Monte and Goose hit on 16. I have it at 290 yards right there. Their balls were both in some sopping wet ground, so there was no roll. 285 carry at the absolute worst. The overhead looks like you could go just left of the trees and make this line, but that's not the case because of overhanging branches. Monte and Goose both hit solid 10 yard draws, so they were right of that and over the trees.

The hole looked pretty odd from the tee box and you couldn't see the green or the fairway past the 2nd fairway bunker, so I don't think either one of them actually knew how perfect this line was. Off the tee it was two solid shots and two big shrugs. But they have to be among the best placed drives I've seen in the last few years.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

What does' shoulder out and elbow in" mean?

My 2 cents: if it means nothing to you, it means nothing. It means something to thechief since he knows what it means for him! Even though I saw Monte the same day as thechief, what thechief said means nothing to me. If thechief explains it, there's a 50/50 shot that it's great for you or it sucks for you.

My 2 cents: if it means nothing to you, it means nothing. It means something to thechief since he knows what it means for him! Even though I saw Monte the same day as thechief, what thechief said means nothing to me. If thechief explains it, there's a 50/50 shot that it's great for you or it sucks for you.

If that was worth 2 cents, I'd hate to know what a dollar gets ya....

And it could have been the third thing he said to Chief to make it click. Anyone who looks at my swing on video would say I have a flying elbow, but "elbow in" isn't something that would help me at all.

What it probably means is that his right shoulder wasn't deep enough on the backswing. Which means there was no room for the elbow. The elbow down feel might help him get his shoulder deep, not the other way around.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Those are two solid drives. I play weekly with a couple guys who have decent length but not Goose or Monte length, and each time they try that they end up in that valley down to the right about 30 or 40 yards short of the green.

Titleist TSR 1 GD Di 5  Stiff

Titleist TSR 1  15 & 18* Adilia Speed Mesh R

Titleist TSR 1  21* Hybrid Kuro Kage R 
Titlesit T350 6-P 43 STeelFiber I80
Vokey
SM 46/54/58  Scotty Cameron Special Select 5.5 Flowback 35" 

Played round 20 this year at Creighton Farms. Nice track/great shape. Clubhouse mostly closed to us interlopers; the service was great where it was open. Nice practice facilities although it was crowded with the shotgun start. CPO but the course has really drained well considering the recent rain with only a few sponge-like spots on the course. Good elevation changes combined with what I suspect are Nicklaus signatures--including a tree planted inside the right side of the seventh fairway that easily cost me 50 yards off the tee--added up to a good day...ending up at 80 degrees by the end of the round (4:25--we had a threesome so were waiting on quite a few holes). There are a few big-a** homes near the course but nothing that came into play.

Started off with a birdie on 14, which included a postage stamp-sized green, but nine doubles did me in. I ended up with a crowd-pleasing 94. Tried to implement Monte's advice on every swing. When I got the four things together (square shoulders, hip forward, less backswing, less shaft lean), I got some really good results. In fact, I hit a couple of shots so pure, I flew them over the green; however, I had a few shots where I dug the club in so still got lots of work ahead. Also tried the chip shots (mixed success due to speed), bunker shot (still no luck even with a good lie) and the "turn your wedge 45 degrees" shot (worked to perfection).

One of my favorites for the year so far with Myrtle Beach on Memorial Day and Primland in August still to go. Apparently they do this a couple of times a year, so I'll be on the lookout for the replay and will let everyone know if I hear about it. They had 12 spots that weren't taken today.

Nothing much to add on Monte's class. Only disappointment was the rain on Saturday, which limited us from working outside. Got some good advice (see above) that I can use immediately. He's got a lot of opinions and he's not afraid to share them, which is nice.

GTM:

1. RTJ (I live about 5 minutes away)

2. Kinloch

3. Pick 'em

GBB Epic 9.0*
Srixon 17*
Taylormade M1 19*
Srixon U65 20*, 23*
Srixon Z765 5-PW
Callaway Mack Daddy Forged 50*, 54*
Taylormade Tour Spider

Spent 45 minutes with Monte this afternoon after he was done with the clinic. It took him all of 3 swings with my wedge to figure out my major flaws, then spent the next 30 getting me to try different things to see what would click for me.

For those who have seen the D4D video, it is essentially "Shoulder out, elbow in" on the backswing and getting a more diagonal hand path to and past the ball on the downswing. A couple ball position and posture fixes and gave me some drills to work on.

Probably hit 40 balls afterwards to finish the bucket and not a single one left. I realize I have a lot of work to do to undo 25 years of playing a hook, so I can foresee some ugly rounds ahead of me.

Did you guys take 10 or 15 minutes for short game at all?

Unfortunately not. He had another one on one lined up behind me.

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Goose pretty much hit on it. Referencing the right (back) shoulder, I don't get the shoulder back, resulting in a lift, rather than a full level turn, and as a result my right elbow goes up and the club comes pretty far across the line.

He talks about it here

TSR2 10* w/Atmos TS 60X

Sim2 Max 18*

Sim2 Max 4h

T-200 3i
Apex/Apex Pro Smoke '19 blend 5i-PW
SM8 50*
SM8 58*
Meridian Tybee

Beautiful weather down here today. Hope everyone is able to get out and enjoy it at some point! Going to experiment with midsize +4 on every other club in my bag. But yesterday's range session was pretty great. Logged down some notes in my phone about the swing thoughts that I just had to keep fresh. But everything felt good!

Went to Diamond Ridge to putt yesterday. Was driving up 29 and it was rainy, but totally clear around DR. Got to the putting green, and it just started pouring, then stopped, then pouring, then stopped.

I think I putted for about 30 minutes, and stood under an eave for 30 minutes. The storms were coming in from the Northeast. it was very weird. Sort of a mini-nor' easter with the low sitting off the coast.

I was just losing my mind at the weather. Told PQ on Sunday, "this is the last crappy day of the year".

I can not take it anymore. Was watching SNL this weekend and they were like, "this is the season finale" and I'm feeling confused. It feels like it's still GD March around here.

Anyway, there's a big ole HIGH moving into the east. We're hitting the Jersey shore this weekend. Gonna be like 85 today for Hobbits.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I just got back from 9 at rock Creek. Course is in great shape for rock Creek.

Hit my drive on #1 2 yards into the rough. Mower runs over it. Destroyed.

Worked on putting and making progress. Swing was totally grooved the last 4 holes. Playing this match on Saturday at 9am. Completely locked in.

PQ, Halcyan, and Fabb should be doing a push up contest to be my partner on Thursday.

I don't know who I'd take in that push-up contest.

PQ has some mass to move, but he's like a V8 diesel.

Fabb is just a Honda Civic, but wispy.

Halcyan is sort of a middle ground there. . .he's the solid Accord. I just don't know if he's the 4 cylinder version, or upgraded to the 6. It varies.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

That's the 2nd time I've heard you mention there this spring. Any crowd that early? The one time I played a few years ago, it was so slow and so terribly kept that I promised not to go back. But it's one of only two public courses that is within 20 minutes of my house, so I'm tempted.

I have a meeting downtown today so I'll go experience DC's finest at EPP and hit a few balls.

Hah. Yes, not of much use, I'm afraid. I'm in a bit of a cynical golf instruction mood right now, but I'll try to scale it back. I've read all of Monte's posts, seen all of his youtube videos, and own all of his other videos. Yet implemented it so, so poorly. Wish I could find a similar instructor near by.

That's the 2nd time I've heard you mention there this spring. Any crowd that early? The one time I played a few years ago, it was so slow and so terribly kept that I promised not to go back. But it's one of only two public courses that is within 20 minutes of my house, so I'm tempted.

I have a meeting downtown today so I'll go experience DC's finest at EPP and hit a few balls.

I was the only person there both times I played. Teed off at 635 or so. Played in about an hour and 10 minutes.

Hah. Yes, not of much use, I'm afraid. I'm in a bit of a cynical golf instruction mood right now, but I'll try to scale it back. I've read all of Monte's posts, seen all of his youtube videos, and own all of his other videos. Yet implemented it so, so poorly. Wish I could find a similar instructor near by.

Over just taking video instruction? It's hard to do if you don't have the eyes there telling you yes or no for a specific fix. I

For one and a half days of work, you implemented your stuff pretty damn well this weekend. Hit a couple of really strong drives and a wedge shot or two that looked absolutely perfect.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX