2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Dynamic Gold Tour Issue S400 vs X100 Iron shafts

lars29

[quote name='RobotDoctor' timestamp='1437524309' post='11995682']
X100 shaft is about the same flex as an S300. The difference is that the X100 has a higher kick point meaning the ball flight is going to be several degrees lower (4-5 degrees or so). It may take a bit harder swing to torque the shaft with an X100 shaft. I used to have a flex equivalency chart from True Temper years ago that illustrated the comparison of stiffness between shaft flex. I remember the X100 and S300 were at the same shaft flex.
[/quote]

I'm not an expert so maybe i'm wrong, but having played both i didn't find the flex to be the same , and the frequency chart pinned in the tech forum also shows different specs

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/496072-new-and-improved-shaft-chart/

When i swung a lot harder, i found the X100's much easier to play, but right now i could probably play both as my SS has dropped, and i don't hit it as high. If you're a tweener it probably doesn't matter that much in the end

Srixon ZX5 w/PX Hzrdus Red 60

Srixon ZX 15 w/PX Hzrdus Red 70

Tour Edge C723 21* w/PX hzrdus black 80

Titleist T150 4-AW w/PX LZ 6.0

Titleist Jet Black 54/60 with PX LZ 6.0

Deschamps Crisp Antique 

[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437526977' post='11995928']
[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1437526147' post='11995836']
[quote name='lars29' timestamp='1437510289' post='11994314']
I've only been golfing for 6 years, and aside from starting with borrowed clubs, I have only played my irons from the Adams Tight Lies 1012 complete set I bought in 2010.

I am an inconsistent player, slowly improving. I'll usually be in the low to mid 90's. Never have taken lessons because my golf budget is fairly tight, and I'm "good" enough to have fun playing as-is and taking small steps forward. My iron distances are about 140-PW, 150-9 iron, 160-8 iron, etc. Probably a "medium" ball flight, but again my inconsistency keeps me from having a true reliable ball flight.

[/quote]look dude, I'm thrilled you won the shafts, congrats. but we need a truth session here. no offense you shouldn't go anywhere near them being installed in clubs. and lets say you do it, definitely NOT in a X100. you're quoting "about" yardages with "mid" ballflight. and you hit an Adams starter set with probably some lightweight uniflex steel in them. and I'm sure this is TOTAL yardages you hit one of those irons every once in a while under the right circumstances. not your real world carry yardages. honestly, do you really know how far you FLY each of your irons? amongst these posters I actually play the Dynamic Gold Tour Issue and actually FLY my 7iron 170-75. they are S400. take delivery of the shafts. sell them for 200 bucks or so, you could even find someone on here. and then take the $$$ and get properly fitted for your next new set.

[url="https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk"]https://youtu.be/mFSBWbgrfUk[/url]
[/quote]

I'm the first to admit I'm not a great golfer, but those yardages are legit and conservative (meaning anything 140-149ish I play PW and so on, given no wind or elevation) carry distances for when I put a nice strike on the ball. I've played enough to know how far I can hit my clubs that I've had for 6 years. Perhaps I de-loft my irons in my swing to achieve that distance, but my balls usually stop on the green 10-15 feet or less from my ball mark, depending on the club. They are not just thin laser shots that roll forever. Yes my current set is Uniflex, but why is it tough to believe that an intermediate golfer under 30 years old who takes care of his body could have a decent swing speed?

Despite the patting-my-head tone of your post though, I will probably end up trying to sell them first. Probably would be better served doing what you and some others have suggested.
[/quote]

Don't listen to that guy. He is probably about 5'4'' tall and carries a 1 iron. I'll tell you what.... I would recommend the S400's not because what this jackhammer has said but because they are going to let you develop your game better than a set of X100's. Work the ball Once you get tired of it move to the X100's.

G425 LST 

G425 Max 14.5* 

G425 19* Hybrid 

TM P7MC 4-PW

RTX Zipcore 50*/54*/58*

PING Sigma2 Anser

I've only been golfing for 6 years, and aside from starting with borrowed clubs, I have only played my irons from the Adams Tight Lies 1012 complete set I bought in 2010.

I am an inconsistent player, slowly improving. I'll usually be in the low to mid 90's. Never have taken lessons because my golf budget is fairly tight, and I'm "good" enough to have fun playing as-is and taking small steps forward. My iron distances are about 140-PW, 150-9 iron, 160-8 iron, etc. Probably a "medium" ball flight, but again my inconsistency keeps me from having a true reliable ball flight.

[/quote]look dude, I'm thrilled you won the shafts, congrats. but we need a truth session here. no offense you shouldn't go anywhere near them being installed in clubs. and lets say you do it, definitely NOT in a X100. you're quoting "about" yardages with "mid" ballflight. and you hit an Adams starter set with probably some lightweight uniflex steel in them. and I'm sure this is TOTAL yardages you hit one of those irons every once in a while under the right circumstances. not your real world carry yardages. honestly, do you really know how far you FLY each of your irons? amongst these posters I actually play the Dynamic Gold Tour Issue and actually FLY my 7iron 170-75. they are S400. take delivery of the shafts. sell them for 200 bucks or so, you could even find someone on here. and then take the $$$ and get properly fitted for your next new set.

[/quote]

I'm the first to admit I'm not a great golfer, but those yardages are legit and conservative (meaning anything 140-149ish I play PW and so on, given no wind or elevation) carry distances for when I put a nice strike on the ball. I've played enough to know how far I can hit my clubs that I've had for 6 years. Perhaps I de-loft my irons in my swing to achieve that distance, but my balls usually stop on the green 10-15 feet or less from my ball mark, depending on the club. They are not just thin laser shots that roll forever. Yes my current set is Uniflex, but why is it tough to believe that an intermediate golfer under 30 years old who takes care of his body could have a decent swing speed?

Despite the patting-my-head tone of your post though, I will probably end up trying to sell them first. Probably would be better served doing what you and some others have suggested.
[/quote]nobody patting your head dude, I only have your best interests at heart. you ask for advice, you've gotten some. and now you've clarified what your yardages are based off so we are all clear, which is beautiful. why don't you go somewhere that has a Mizuno shaft analyzer. swing that sucker. it'll give you a great bit of quick info on possible shaft weight and flex characteristics for your swing at this point in your golf career.

[/quote]

[/quote]

Lars, take things with a grain of salt here..... some people want to watch others burn......

While we truly dont know your game or swing, the best we can give is advice, Others just want to tell people WHAT THEY CAN AND CANNOT DO....

Its all good man, if anything take all the info you can, thats what I do, I am adult and can make choices perfectly fine, on top of the fact, if I make a mistake it wont kill me, I can fix it.....

I am a 5'8" 140lb asian....... I have a handicap of 11.4, if you take face value, I have no reason to be playing X100's also Because X persons won 3 majors with AP2's I should not be playing with those either.........

but you know what if I stayed with the sheep and played with my old clubs, I probably would not be improving just because I listened to them..... I trial and errored clubs until I found a set that help me score the best I could for my current game thats it........

Lots of assumptions going on around here.......but you know about "assume" right............. trial and error my friend trial and error, thats half the fun of golf!

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

[quote name='Kenny Lee Puckett' timestamp='1437527931' post='11996050']

[/quote]

[/quote]nobody patting your head dude, I only have your best interests at heart. you ask for advice, you've gotten some. and now you've clarified what your yardages are based off so we are all clear, which is beautiful. why don't you go somewhere that has a Mizuno shaft analyzer. swing that sucker. it'll give you a great bit of quick info on possible shaft weight and flex characteristics for your swing at this point in your golf career.
[/quote]

Roger that...sorry for for getting all defensive. If it's too advanced of a shaft for me, I can freely accept it...you're right, that is what I was asking advice on. I guess I just got a little cranky at the implication that I must have been exaggerating and using that as the reason I shouldn't use them.

[quote name='tanker44' timestamp='1437527866' post='11996034']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Don't listen to that guy. He is probably about 5'4'' tall and carries a 1 iron. I'll tell you what.... I would recommend the S400's not because what this jackhammer has said but because they are going to let you develop your game better than a set of X100's. Work the ball Once you get tired of it move to the X100's.
[/quote]

A vote for S400...drat! I thought we were starting to get a consensus :)

I threw this out there before but it kind of got buried:

Do you guys think one set of shafts would be easier to resell than the other, if I went that route? Seems like a lot of people on here like the X100's...would they be in higher demand by the type golfers (generally pretty advanced) that like to mix and match shafts trying to optimize?

Go find a golf shop with a Mizuno Shaft Fitting Optimizer and get some data. If your swing speed with a 6-iron is over 90 mph then that's DG X100 land.

As far as which shafts hold more value, I'd guess X100. Tour Issue Dynamic Gold shafts are a specialized product aimed at elite level players or guys that like the prestige of playing the same equipment as the pros. Not a huge market, but a select one.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

I apologize if this has been covered by someone else....

Having played both, there isn't a huge difference between S400 and X100. It's noticeable, but I'd hardly call it profound. It's quite possible our intrepid young lars could play either.

That said, my take is to lean towards the S400 (or even S300) route first, if only because going to DGX from a set of uniflex beginner irons might be too drastic a step.

The Tour Issue shafts command flashy prices, but they're hardly necessary. IMHO, paying the extra for tighter weight sorting isn't worth the coin. But they'll sell around here. ;)

My ¥2

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

So it turns out I have other options...probably anything in the True Temper line, given the Tour Issue would be the high end ones.

Going off in my initial post (slowly improving intermediate young man w/ 160 yd 8-iron, good swing speed but struggle with consistency, etc)...do you guys have other types of TT shafts you would recommend? Like an XP105 or 115? I think the 95 would be too light for me. Other thoughts?

Obviously it's a little bit of a guess, since you don't know my swing. But I appreciate the input.

PXi 6.0 would be nice and should fit you well based on what you have stated. They are more expensive than some of the other True Temper shafts so that will help you get your money's worth as well. XP115 would also be appropriate I should think.

Ping G400 Max driver w/Aldila Rogue 125 Silver
Ping G425 5 wood & hybrid
Ping G30 irons w/Recoil 95

Ping G425 irons w/Accra ICWT 2.0 95
Ping Glide wedges w/Recoil 110
Ping Redwood Anser - the "real deal!"

[quote name='Nessism' timestamp='1437585164' post='12000212']
PXi 6.0 would be nice and should fit you well based on what you have stated. They are more expensive than some of the other True Temper shafts so that will help you get your money's worth as well. XP115 would also be appropriate I should think.
[/quote]

Not 100% sure if the Project X's would be an option or not, if they are more spendy than the Tour Issue DG's...I know the XP's would be, as the rep I'm working with suggest the XP95's (seems too light to me...then again, not sure the weight of my existing shafts). He saw this thread and told me I could pick from other product lines if I wanted, so that I could get something that would fit me best instead of resorting to selling them because I'm worried they won't work for me.

Anyways, I'm looking at the XP115 S300's... I noticed it says "XP 115 produces more ball spin" on their site. Is that a good thing for me because it would increase backspin and possibly negate some "sidespin"? Or is it a bad thing because it would enhance the sidespin? Rookie question I'm sure.

Lars, Personally I am going to take you back all the way back to my original post about static weight.

My greatest improvement was finding the right weight for my swing.

I played with Dynalite XP S300, the Static Weight was 117grams

Moving to the DG X100 was not due to flex but due to the recommended increase of static weight by my fitter. I have seen a large increase of GIR in regulation and much tighter dispersion for my game and I will attribute it to the increase in weight to 130grams

Tempo and transition to me is huge. So while you may feel that X stiff may be to much for your game, I would be more focused on the static weight to create consistency in your swing.

The lighter you go, will potentially increase swing speed and distance, but if you cant accurately get the head to the ball, I dont care if you have a 150mph Driver Swing speed, the ball is not going to right distance.

Again what you posted about a fast tempo swing I really dont think a Sub 110gram shaft will do you any good, but ultimately you need to try.

Many other posters here have made good suggestions and while I agree that moving from uniflex to X100 is a massive jump. That middle of the road would be some DG S300's Static weigh is around that 120-130gram shafts and again..... meh flex, to me is about loading and unloading and personally dispersion, some may disagree, but again thats just my opinion based on my swing characteristics.

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 659CB PW-4 KBS120 S
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

S300s are a classic shaft, I have similar numbers to yours and I love the feel. I could play stiffer, but these work for me (probably as much a function of the static weight as anything). I moved into them from an old Wilson starter set some time back when I finally got quality clubs. The move was game changing, irons finally felt "right". I have not changed since.

I play S400 in my wedges, I like them to be heavier.

What about ProjectX 5.5 or something?

PX is a great shaft as long as you don't get something too stiff. 5.5 is plenty stiff for most and it feels very solid through the ball but still keeps some height and spin on the ball for someone who is hitting it about your distances. Then you'd be in the 115ish gram weight range, which might work nicely.

Honestly it's hardly anything to pick between TI s400 and x100. You could roll the dice and pick either and the results would be virtually identical. I wouldn't even think much about it.

Looking at the other shafts in their lineup is going to be the more interesting route.

The best bet would be to try an x100 in an iron similar to what you'd be using and see how you hit it.