side saddle putters - what putter are you using?

brentflog

If you're going to hold the shaft vertical - you'll want a putter face that has 0 degrees of loft. Be careful with this as most putter heads have 2-4 degree's of loft (the GP is fine, it's loft IS 0 degrees).

A forward press won't eliminate that problem. A lofted putter head, held vertical, will tend to push your putts slightly right.

Agreed 100% as to loft. A standard loft putter will roll great on the indoor carpet in a golf store, but face-on on an actual green, short and right becomes a default pattern.

I have toyed with side saddle putting and bought a second hand GP putter. It is about 46 inches long.

I find that the head weight is too light for me and I struggle on longer putts/ I am considering finding some lead sheet and adding it to the bottom of the putter. (lead being the only legal thing to add on outside of clubs.) I am a constant tinker of clubs.

I have several long putters as I used to anchor until it was banned.

I have cut one down to about 43 inches (Ping Scotsdale pickmeup) and will try that as well.

I have read somewhere that the loft is too much on these putters for face on putting but I like to set up with forward shaft lean which is delofting the putter. I like to keep the shaft as near vertical as possible for a straight back straight thru stroke.

I am hoping to finish up with adjusting my Odyssey Metal X dart long, to face on putting but I don't want to cut or alter this club until I am sure the ping adjustments work. I putted better with the Odyssey.

Any other suggestions as to adjustments for a long putter to be converted are welcome. I live in New Zealand I and buy most of my golf gear locally and second hand. The GP putter was the only face on putter I have seen for sale here in 10 years.

Be sure the putter is at 79 or 80 degrees lie angle, and be sure that it is NO MORE than a degree and half of loft; for that reason alone, I'd be a bit hesitant to "convert" a long putter to face-on instead of getting a putter made specifically for this style of putting. I know a degree or two difference in loft doesn't sound like a big deal, but there's a reason that all the guys that make these putters only put a degree or so of loft on them.

As a personal preference, center-shafted with the shaft set back a bit from the face is preferable simply for visual reasons.

I have toyed with side saddle putting and bought a second hand GP putter. It is about 46 inches long.

I find that the head weight is too light for me and I struggle on longer putts/ I am considering finding some lead sheet and adding it to the bottom of the putter. (lead being the only legal thing to add on outside of clubs.) I am a constant tinker of clubs.

I have cut one down to about 43 inches (Ping Scotsdale pickmeup) and will try that as well.

I have read somewhere that the loft is too much on these putters for face on putting but I like to set up with forward shaft lean which is delofting the putter. I like to keep the shaft as near vertical as possible for a straight back straight thru stroke.

I am hoping to finish up with adjusting my Odyssey Metal X dart long, to face on putting but I don't want to cut or alter this club until I am sure the ping adjustments work. I putted better with the Odyssey.

Any other suggestions as to adjustments for a long putter to be converted are welcome. I live in New Zealand I and buy most of my golf gear locally and second hand. The GP putter was the only face on putter I have seen for sale here in 10 years.

I don’t think you will be able to put enough lead tape on the GP to make a difference. You can pour lead powder down the shaft then cork it when you get to the weight you want. It will cost you about $13 to DIY.

Loft can be an issue if you hold the club completely vertical. If you sole the putter on the ground and hold it at its lie angle (close to 80 degrees) then loft is not an issue.

So I got the GP putter in yesterday. Ive been rolling it on the carpet and it feels good. It is light like everyone says however I kind of like it, also the smaller head in my opinion inspires confidence. It will take some time adjusting to the weight coming from the Juan Putt. Im also trying a new more forward ball position, leaning more onto my left foot as I am left handed, holding the shaft as close to vertical as possible, and having my eyes directly over the ball. So far so good I cannot wait to take the putter to the course.

I've noticed that the majority of right handed side saddle putters set up with right foot forward. Have any of you tried left foot forward stance? Seems a little more stable to me - that's how I'd stand on a snowboard. Also a little easier to get eyes over ball. Any thoughts?

I've fiddled around on the carpet and on the putting green with the left foot forward, but it just never felt right. It makes me feel like my right foot might be in the way on the backswing, and my guess is that I'd be adopting a position that would encourage at least some rotational movement, which I don't want. Most importantly, though, I think the left foot forward would effectively move the ball BACK and lessen the vision advantage.

Think of shooting a free throw; why is the right foot forward for a right-handed shooter? Same with darts, too. I think the reason is that you want everything happening out in front of your eyes, and you don't want any rotation; just motion toward the hole.

FWIW, I've know about a half dozen guys that putt face on; I've never seen anybody putt with the left foot forward. A couple of them putt with their feet even, but most have the right foot at least a bit forward.

I've noticed that the majority of right handed side saddle putters set up with right foot forward. Have any of you tried left foot forward stance? Seems a little more stable to me - that's how I'd stand on a snowboard. Also a little easier to get eyes over ball. Any thoughts?

I've fiddled around on the carpet and on the putting green with the left foot forward, but it just never felt right. It makes me feel like my right foot might be in the way on the backswing, and my guess is that I'd be adopting a position that would encourage at least some rotational movement, which I don't want. Most importantly, though, I think the left foot forward would effectively move the ball BACK and lessen the vision advantage.

Think of shooting a free throw; why is the right foot forward for a right-handed shooter? Same with darts, too. I think the reason is that you want everything happening out in front of your eyes, and you don't want any rotation; just motion toward the hole.

FWIW, I've know about a half dozen guys that putt face on; I've never seen anybody putt with the left foot forward. A couple of them putt with their feet even, but most have the right foot at least a bit forward.

Well I always sucked at basketball and haven't played darts since I was a kid. Clearly need to hang around pubs some more! Interesting point about body motion though. I've only tried this out indoors but think I may have less body motion with left foot forward as I feel more balanced. I'm sure there are good reasons you rarely see that stance although it was promoted as the Australian stance by the Wonder putter.

I don’t think you will be able to put enough lead tape on the GP to make a difference. You can pour lead powder down the shaft then cork it when you get to the weight you want. It will cost you about $13 to DIY.

Loft can be an issue if you hold the club completely vertical. If you sole the putter on the ground and hold it at its lie angle (close to 80 degrees) then loft is not an issue.

I am thinking of lead sheet 3" X 2" X 1/8 modded to bottom and epoxy to base. Needs to be worked so face balance is not lost. Lead powder not readily available here. Plus I want weight on the head not in the shaft. I will keep experimenting. I might be able to get my pro shop to adjust putter loft to zero or one degree. They are able to do iron loft adjustment but not sure about putters.

My theory is that if I set up putter with normal lie and then push handle forward (towards the hole) so that the lie is vertical, (no loft) then I can move the shaft to 90 degrees for straight thru stroke. While it would be difficult to do accurately 100 percent of the time, it must be better then making no adjustment for the loft at all.

My theory is that if I set up putter with normal lie and then push handle forward (towards the hole) so that the lie is vertical, (no loft) then I can move the shaft to 90 degrees for straight thru stroke. While it would be difficult to do accurately 100 percent of the time, it must be better then making no adjustment for the loft at all.

That sounds like a lot of manipulation.

I ended up liking to putt with the putter head soled and the shaft at its normal lie angle (vs vertical) when I put sidesaddle.

After much experimentation - the stroke feels more stable to me.

I still like 0 degrees of loft though because the ball is slightly forward which means I'm already catching it on the upstroke anyways.

I don't like the left foot forward either.

The right foot (for a RH) feels more natural to me.

Also lets me use my right foot as a "guide".

Almost feels like cheating.

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that right foot forward seems more natural and it's how I've always done it also, but at times I feel a little off balance that way, esp. when leaning weight over right foot. Interesting that I would automatically choose left foot forward on surfboard or snowboard for better balance.

Thanks for the input guys. I agree that right foot forward seems more natural and it's how I've always done it also, but at times I feel a little off balance that way, esp. when leaning weight over right foot. Interesting that I would automatically choose left foot forward on surfboard or snowboard for better balance.

Not having surfed in decades, and having NEVER snowboarded, I can only guess. But since it's the internet, I'll guess and say that those sports require balance while in motion, and putting your feet in a position to allow motion to maintain balance is a very different thing from wanting to AVOID any motion except the arm.

Another analogy: Go to a little kids baseball game where the coaches are "pitching"; most will pitch with the foot on their throwing side forward because they want accuracy, not power. Literally, they are trying to hit the slot where the kid's swing will be. Contrast that with a pitcher trying to throw accurately but with velocity; the velocity comes not only thru arm motion, but thru the stride and the rotation of the body, so the opposite foot comes forward.

I think the answer to balance issue of right foot forward is simply to not have the left foot quite as far back, and/or not as narrow relative to the right foot. And I think there is a tendency to get narrow because it makes it easier to get your head and eyes behind the ball.

Gents:

I read some older posts here on Juan Putt but website now says closed. Is he still in business?

The website is up and it looks to me like he is still in business. Juan is a great guy that is willing to talk through any questions. Juanputt.com

The Juanputt is really a great putter. I am trying to kick it out of the bag right now with an Edel and I don't think it is going to happen. For me the JP is the perfect size and weight for side saddle. It is more solid feeling than the Edel.

I also think the JP is pretty fairly priced for such a quality made putter. I think the quality is just as good as the bobby grace I had before it with a much lower price

I may try to contact Juan to see if he would be willing to build one with a single or double bend shaft

Another analogy: Go to a little kids baseball game where the coaches are "pitching"; most will pitch with the foot on their throwing side forward because they want accuracy, not power. Literally, they are trying to hit the slot where the kid's swing will be. Contrast that with a pitcher trying to throw accurately but with velocity; the velocity comes not only thru arm motion, but thru the stride and the rotation of the body, so the opposite foot comes forward.

I think the answer to balance issue of right foot forward is simply to not have the left foot quite as far back, and/or not as narrow relative to the right foot. And I think there is a tendency to get narrow because it makes it easier to get your head and eyes behind the ball.

Great analogy.

Very good point. Issue with balance is clearly when I'm trying to get my eyes right behind the ball like you said

Not having surfed in decades, and having NEVER snowboarded, I can only guess. But since it's the internet, I'll guess and say that those sports require balance while in motion, and putting your feet in a position to allow motion to maintain balance is a very different thing from wanting to AVOID any motion except the arm.

I'm no surfer but does one face forward on a surfboard? Always looks like they stand sideways, jmo :)

I'll add on the JP, I really liked the feel and the weight of it, but I struggled with how wide the face is. Seemed like I always had the heel up in the air on it.

But Juan is a great guy, I emailed him a lot asking questions about the process and for tips, but at the end of the day, I felt the most comfortable with the Bobby Grace offerings.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I went side-saddle last summer and really had fun with it. I purchased a GP putter in lefty and found it to be very adequate. Not the most forgiving of heads I would say, but it's a putter, how forgiving does it need to be. Moving forward to last week. When I began researching this style and what putter to use, the STX Sync 3 was a proven option for some out there. I had had an STX putter before and enjoyed it quite a bit before moving on, so I purchased a Sync 3 in lefty at 42" and after receiving it, I must say I prefer it over the GP model. Now, I haven't had it on a course yet, but I feel in more control with it, and to my surprise, when I putt regular with it, it is VERY nice. Going to be another fun experiment this summer with this putter, and although I might have bought the putter with side-saddle in mind, it may be the putter that puts me back to conventional. We shall see.

Enjoy your side-saddle journey!

I have messed around with the technique for the past 6 or 7 years - only once on the course- never a commitment. I have used a variety of standard, belly, and long putters when screwing around with it on my big moss home putting green - None that were designed specifically for side saddle. After really struggling with takeaway issues / pseudo yips, I decided to give it a more serious attempt.

I sent an email to the contact address on Bobby Grace’s website. About two hours later, Bobby himself responded (on a Saturday). Ended up having a good talk on the phone and I ordered one of his F-22’s on the spot. One week later and I was rolling it at home.

First, there is a dramatic difference between other putters and this one that is designed as a side saddle. Alignment seems to be incredibly natural. While I have only used in inside due to the crummy weather in the Midwest, it seems like a life changer.

Can’t wait to see it in action this weekend. Obviously, still in the honeymoon phase - however, she seems like a super model right now.

BTW - can anyone comment on usga rules vs. technique. I understand that side saddle is okay and croquet (between the legs) is a violation on the green. This may sound obvious, but what separates the two? The most comfortable setup for me is right foot forward and the ball positioned about 6 to 8 inches “almost†directly in front of the right foot. The ball is just ever so slightly to the right. On longer putts, the head clearly passes on the outside of my foot. A short pop-stroke seems to work really well. The stroke doesn’t even seem to come all the way to my foot.

The question is - at what point is it no longer croquet and is side saddle?

BTW - can anyone comment on usga rules vs. technique. I understand that side saddle is okay and croquet (between the legs) is a violation on the green. This may sound obvious, but what separates the two? The most comfortable setup for me is right foot forward and the ball positioned about 6 to 8 inches “almost†directly in front of the right foot. The ball is just ever so slightly to the right. On longer putts, the head clearly passes on the outside of my foot. A short pop-stroke seems to work really well. The stroke doesn’t even seem to come all the way to my foot.

The question is - at what point is it no longer croquet and is side saddle?

The moment both your feet are inside the target line. I believe if your right foot is on the target line (at all) - that would be illegal.

I used to setup as your talking about - but I now put my right foot just inside the target line - and I use it as a putter guide. My right foot prevents me from ever bringing my putter too far inside on the backstroke. It's like using your body as a putter track. That helped me get comfortable with the ball a little more to the right of my foot. And it sounds like you may already be there or very close so that not much of an adjustment is needed.

Played my first round of 2018 yesterday. And putting was horrendous. Like I three putt way more than I ever have traditionally. It’s like I couldn’t get the speed down of the greens at all. Everything I hit came up wicked short. However it was on my line which was positive. Just venting as I was hoping to light it up on the green my first time out. Lol going to the range shortly to practice lag putts for a while.

Played my first round of 2018 yesterday. And putting was horrendous. Like I three putt way more than I ever have traditionally. It’s like I couldn’t get the speed down of the greens at all. Everything I hit came up wicked short. However it was on my line which was positive. Just venting as I was hoping to light it up on the green my first time out. Lol going to the range shortly to practice lag putts for a while.

This is my biggest issue with side saddling, I struggle when greens are slow.

What I've been working on this year is to have more acceleration through the ball. A little more "hit" so to speak. It has been promising so far this year, but I've only played a handful of rounds and the greens were actually fairly fast for this time of the year, so we shall see how it translates.

TBD - G430 Max 15* - 818 H2 19*- Sub 70 Pro 23* - i525 6-U - SM9 54* / 58* / 62*  - F22

I switched to Face-on putting this week and have played 3 rounds with a JuanPutt putter. Clearly much better from about 20 feet and in. No yips!!! Long distance lag putts have been more of an issue and I've had a couple of 40 footers that I have topped and the ball rolled about 15-20 feet. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with those but it maybe that the ball is too far forward. Definitely sticking with it, as making a 3-10 foot putts is MUCH better. Any ideas or suggestions about long putts and face-on putting?

I switched to Face-on putting this week and have played 3 rounds with a JuanPutt putter. Clearly much better from about 20 feet and in. No yips!!! Long distance lag putts have been more of an issue and I've had a couple of 40 footers that I have topped and the ball rolled about 15-20 feet. I'm not sure what I am doing wrong with those but it maybe that the ball is too far forward. Definitely sticking with it, as making a 3-10 foot putts is MUCH better. Any ideas or suggestions about long putts and face-on putting?

I would say just really focusing on ball position. I know thats one area where I can be inconsistent, which leads to inconsistent contact on the longer putts when I'm really trying to hit it.

This is my biggest issue with side saddling, I struggle when greens are slow.

What I've been working on this year is to have more acceleration through the ball. A little more "hit" so to speak. It has been promising so far this year, but I've only played a handful of rounds and the greens were actually fairly fast for this time of the year, so we shall see how it translates.

I think there is a danger here, which is thinking of issues with slow greens as issues with ANY putting method. It's always harder to hit the ball harder, regardless of HOW you are hitting it.

One of the problems with being the only guy in a group putting side saddle is that, if you aren't careful, you begin to think that every putt is a referendum on the METHOD. And, of course, the issue isn't how well you putted on any given day; the issue is how well you putt one way vs. the other. When you go to greens of a different speed, look around you; everybody is struggling! That has zero to do with side saddle vs. conventional.; hell, you likely would have been worse conventionally!