2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Play a Balata Ball lately?

So with all the new tech and everything I was sitting around one day saying to myself, man I used to love hitting a nice Titleist Balata ball every once in a while. They would last almost as long as the regular Titleist in the early 90's. So to eBay I go. Well a Dozen Titleist Balata Balls can get pretty costly on eBay, like from $50 to $100 so I found a Maxima Balata two Piece ball for $20 for a dozen, I think with shipping. Not to bad don't know anything about them though. Enjoyed the balata feel and grip on the greens.

Anyone know anything about the Maxima Balata ball? Not sure what year they are from, I don't have access to the box at this time, Family is asleep. Any other comments also welcomed.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have never seen them. I do have quite a collection of balata balls though. I used to take them out on the local par 3 course with my wedges but have not done that lately because they have sadly triple tourist trapped that thing. They have in addition to golf Frisbee golf foot golf and now 8 inch holes and that place right now stays packed with tourons you have Frisbees and soccer balls flying around with impunity along with hackers golf balls. That place is a dangerous circus! Sorry for the rant. I do chip and putt some with the balatas from time to time though and when I am playing what I call true vintage I will hit approach shots with the balata balls and of course with a vintage putter putt with them

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Don't know a thing about the Maxima balata ball.

But as to the "have you played one lately" question.... why yes, I have. A small thread about that here:

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1217672-finally-played-them-observations-from-todays-round/#entry12061946

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

My only experience with the"Maxima" golf ball is pretty limited and goes waaaay back to about 1970, give or take a year.
First Flight Golf came out with a ball called Maxima. They were wound Balata, as were most projectiles of that era.
The were advertised as 110 compression and they were hot! But they were extremely unstable. Our club pro gave me a sleeve to try.A couple of holes with one, and it went out of round immediately. I used all three in one round of 18 holes. Paper thin covers too. Being an open-mined guy, I tried one more time. Of the first and only dozen i bought ($14.75/doz, like all top quality balls of the time), two or three were out of round while still in the sleeves.
It seems like Dunlop had a problem at about the same time with a short-lived Black or Silver Maxfli, which also had a propensity to take on an ovoid shape with little or not contact with a club. It too was promoted as a 101 or 102 compression. Who knows, they may have both been produced at the same facility.
I think they were trying to compete with the Titleist 100 compression ball of the era.
My personal favorites, back in the day, were the Titleist Professional and the Original Spalding Tour Editions. Both were some of the first premium priced balls of the era.Tour Editions were my first exposure to a non wound ball that had a playable cover. I think they called it Zinthane. Boy did they feel great around the greens. But too much spin! But that ball, imo, cost Greg Norman the PGA at Inverness. He may have been the best ball striker in the world for a couple years. But even he could not control the spin on his short irons.
Spalding hardened up the cover; but it just became an expensive Top Flite. Then they reintroduced it a couple years later. But it Died.
Uncle Bob

[quote name='Wknd_Warrior' timestamp='1438974957' post='12097066']
Is there not a modern ball that either plays like an old wound balata or actually is a wound balata?
[/quote]For me and this is completely subjective I have found the following balls play and feel close to an old balata to me now I said close but not quite.
Srixon Soft Feel
Bridgestone Treo Soft--- Note from what I have been told they are discontinuing this ball and they are on sale at Golfsmith now for around $14 a dozen
Taylor Made Aeroburner soft I won a dozen of them in a tournament and they are pretty good
Callaway Chrome Soft I found 3 of them recently and tried them and actually liked them
Those are my favorites. Now I have tried the Wilson Duos and they are ok but feel a little clicky off the putter with me. And I did not loose any distance with the softer balls in fact I gained a couple of yards with them and I seem to control them better overall than the Pro V. I actually spin the crap out of the Srixon balls

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1438898089' post='12092018']
I have never seen them. I do have quite a collection of balata balls though. I used to take them out on the local par 3 course with my wedges but have not done that lately because they have sadly triple tourist trapped that thing. They have in addition to golf Frisbee golf foot golf and now 8 inch holes and that place right now stays packed with tourons you have Frisbees and soccer balls flying around with impunity along with hackers golf balls. That place is a dangerous circus! Sorry for the rant. I do chip and putt some with the balatas from time to time though and when I am playing what I call true vintage I will hit approach shots with the balata balls and of course with a vintage putter putt with them
[/quote]

talking about tupelo bay by chance? just curious ... seems like everything down there is turning "turist only" lately... hard to call and get a tee time anywhere without getting one of the services... irritates me... I actually drove into the pro shop at indian wells last time down to set a time for the next day as the only number I could get an answer on went to a service ....trying to sell a package etc.. I just wanted a damn tee time..lol not a lunch and box of balls and coupons to dinner and a show....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

• 2 weeks later...

I need to add that I'm a horrible golfer. But I have found the Wilson Duo to be very close to the old Titleist Balata ball around the greens for feel. I love the Duo ball. But I will play any ball because as I said I'm a horrible golfer, but working on improvements watching Golf Channels Lessons programs (not sure of the actual name of the show) and all the nice tips that come in the back section of Golf Digest.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a dozen Maxfli HT from 1998. They are not balata (surlyn covered) but they are 3 piece wound. The balls are nice to play, very soft feeling with excellent spin. And the spin characteristics is the main difference. Wind has more effect and balls do not run as far off the tee. Around the green and with putting ball plays softer.

[quote name='BIG STU' timestamp='1439026668' post='12100032']
Is there not a modern ball that either plays like an old wound balata or actually is a wound balata?
[/quote]For me and this is completely subjective I have found the following balls play and feel close to an old balata to me now I said close but not quite.
Srixon Soft Feel
Bridgestone Treo Soft--- Note from what I have been told they are discontinuing this ball and they are on sale at Golfsmith now for around $14 a dozen
Taylor Made Aeroburner soft I won a dozen of them in a tournament and they are pretty good
Callaway Chrome Soft I found 3 of them recently and tried them and actually liked them
Those are my favorites. Now I have tried the Wilson Duos and they are ok but feel a little clicky off the putter with me. And I did not loose any distance with the softer balls in fact I gained a couple of yards with them and I seem to control them better overall than the Pro V. I actually spin the crap out of the Srixon balls
[/quote]

They started doing the foot golf at a corse near me recently. Seems dangerous to have a bunch of people running around in the path of tee shots. Also they all tend to play music and scream at inopportune times.

Yes, I have played a modern balata ball lately.

Well, it's not actually balata - it's urethane.

Callaway Chrome Soft. Try a sleeve, and tell me I'm wrong.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

I don't buy balatas, but I like to drive my cart by the tree line and pick up balls and have found 2 balatas along with a mess of pro v1's and pro v1x's (Some regulars must love playing them but they must not be very good!!). Anyways the two I found were maxfli and strata? The strata I only played for like 3 holes. The covers are weak and I know I don't make consistent sweet spot hits. The ball was unusable after the 7th or so hit on them. The maxfli was amazingly soft and I enjoyed the shots I could make, I played it for a while, however on a par 5, my 3rd shot is over water to the green about a PW, and I shorted it into the water by about 15 yards. Was it me? Probably, but I like to blame that one on a loss of compression from the ball.

I've tried a sleeve of chrome soft, and that ball just gets me. It's the perfect amount of feel and workability for me but I'm only buying those expensive suckers for competive play.

Haven't played a true balata in a long time. They shred too quickly and it's like hitting a 71 Challenger with a ball peen hammer cuz you can.....why do that to a classic?

At any rate....the Titleist Professionals, Maxlfi HTs, and even the Tour Editions and Top Flite Z-Balatas get play when the old clubs come out, just for nostalgia's sake.

The new stuff is quite a bit better, though...must say.

Takomo IGNIS D1 9° HZRDUS Smoke Blue 60g / Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 15° HZRDUS Smoke Black 70g
Callaway Apex '19 3H HZRDUS Handcrafted HYB 85g
PXG 0311P Gen 6 Black Label Elite 4-G KBS Tour Lite S / Miura Baby Blades 3-P Steelfiber 110cw / PING ISI Nickel 1-L G Loomis reg flex
Callaway Jaws Raw 54.10S / 58.8Z
PING Anser 2 Jim Wells 36" / Bettinardi BB-1 (2022) 35" / PING Anser 2 1981 35" / Scotty Cameron CT Squareback Proto 35" 375g

Outlaw Golf Association #21

[quote name='Juice__25' timestamp='1442980145' post='12354168']
I've tried a sleeve of chrome soft, and that ball just gets me. It's the perfect amount of feel and workability for me but I'm only buying those expensive suckers for competive play.
[/quote]

Same as the B330-RXS - another great Balata alternative. Just so bloody pricey, though Bridgestone usually has a regular previous model year clearance.

Too bad we can't still get FG Tour balls for <$20. What a deal.

Maybe Dick's will come out with a Top Flite Gamer Tour Soft - priced at 2 for $35, that could be a real winner.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

• 3 weeks later...

[/quote]

No.

I scored about 55 balatas recently in varying conditions, but maybe about 17 in gamble condition. I chipped with a titleist 90, the feel difference and stopping was so much more than I remembered. I haven't gamed them because I am scared to ruin them, but I really want to feel them off my miuras and morsel Vegas. I literally could not feel the ball on 10 yard chips, and I am not a "can't feel the ball" on pure shots kinda guy. If you have never played with a balata, it is worth the novelty to chip and putt with some.

Also, all balata are not made equal. Basically, titliests never had such an advantage over other brands in terms of ball as they did with the balata and professional balls in my opinion. Maxfli was ok as well, but titleist balatas vs. other balatas to me is a premium urethane ball vs. a 2 piece by today's standards. The professional 100 is my favorite ball ever.

I found an old Titleist balata on the course yesterday. I hit and pitch and a put with it and it was so soft I didn't feel it on either one.

As others have said try the Chrome Soft. Pretty frickin close to a balata.

PXG Black Ops 9.75* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Motore X F1 7X

PXG  Gen4 3 Iron - Recoil ES Hybrid F5

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DGTI120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI120 X100/S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

I have a big moss in the living room and a few old Titleist Professional 100s I kept around - never played them, just putt them.

Now - those were firm compared to a Titleist balata, but just the sound of those vs. a modern ball is crazy. Non-golfers even notice the difference.

Anyone remember the Maxfli Elite? I dunno if it was actually balata but I remember thinking at the time - when I had new Titleist balatas to compare - it was the softest thing I'd ever hit. No modern ball is close to that liquid core wound feel - it's like titanium vs persimmon in feel.

[quote name='Bigmean' timestamp='1444342721' post='12429776']
I scored about 55 balatas recently in varying conditions, but maybe about 17 in gamble condition. I chipped with a titleist 90, the feel difference and stopping was so much more than I remembered. I haven't gamed them because I am scared to ruin them, but I really want to feel them off my miuras and morsel Vegas. I literally could not feel the ball on 10 yard chips, and I am not a "can't feel the ball" on pure shots kinda guy. If you have never played with a balata, it is worth the novelty to chip and putt with some.

Also, all balata are not made equal. Basically, titliests never had such an advantage over other brands in terms of ball as they did with the balata and professional balls in my opinion. Maxfli was ok as well, but titleist balatas vs. other balatas to me is a premium urethane ball vs. a 2 piece by today's standards. The professional 100 is my favorite ball ever.
[/quote]

Perhaps amusingly, I think the Maxfli balls are better than the Titleists. :)

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

[quote name='knockdstiff' timestamp='1444351751' post='12430374']
Anyone remember the Maxfli Elite? I dunno if it was actually balata but I remember thinking at the time - when I had new Titleist balatas to compare - it was the softest thing I'd ever hit. No modern ball is close to that liquid core wound feel - it's like titanium vs persimmon in feel.
[/quote]

I remember the Elite. Played it for a while, after scoring a couple dozen in the early 2000s. It was a urethane cover wound ball, much the same as the HT was, just the next generation. Really good ball.

Used to love even the quasi-wound Maxfli stuff, the Revolution, A10, and M3 Red and Black. Even played the Wilson Staff I-Wound for a while.

Oh well...

[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1444356537' post='12430774']

[/quote]

[/quote]Can you give some insite on this subject? Interesting hearing that.

[quote name='Hot Rod 71' timestamp='1444346088' post='12429968']
I found an old Titleist balata on the course yesterday. I hit and pitch and a put with it and it was so soft I didn't feel it on either one.

As others have said try the Chrome Soft. Pretty frickin close to a balata.
[/quote]Callaway Chrome right?

[quote name='sbboudreau' timestamp='1444376214' post='12431762']
[quote name='NRJyzr' timestamp='1444356537' post='12430774']

[/quote]

[/quote]Can you give some insite on this subject? Interesting hearing that.
[/quote]

Until Callaway reintroduced the Hex dimple pattern to the world, I always found Maxfli balls to be the best in the wind. I've always found Titleists to be more susceptible to the wind.

I also found I hit the HT lower than the Titleist balls (Professional or Tour Balata). For me, a high trajectory player, a very good thing.

With the brief Maxfli Elite, I even found I picked up a bit of distance with the short irons, possibly due to the trajectory. Found it odd. Thought it may have been isolated instance, but it proved to be real over many rounds.

Recently hit an HT in side winds, found it moved better than even the HX Chrome+, which surprised me. Could have been small sample size, as well. ;)

There are times I think Titleist is a religion, kind of like the Church of Derek Jeter effect. LOL

[quote name='sbboudreau' timestamp='1444376309' post='12431764']
Callaway Chrome right?
[/quote]

Almost - Callaway Chrome Soft. Red box.

Bunny-man, the DDH II was the absolute best dimple patter I've ever played in wind up to the new Callaway hex dimples. You are spot on on that.

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

Unfortunately, you can't go back in time to try a fresh balata ball. Modern balls are nothing like them, except possibly in the soft feel. None of them spin like balata. Every once in a while I may stumble on a Titlest balata, but they are dead as a door nail. The covers and windings age. They haven't been made in 15 years at least. You wouldn't expect a tire that's been sitting around for 15 years to provide traction like a new one.

[quote name='cxx' timestamp='1444396950' post='12432336']
Unfortunately, you can't go back in time to try a fresh balata ball. Modern balls are nothing like them, except possibly in the soft feel. None of them spin like balata. Every once in a while I may stumble on a Titlest balata, but they are dead as a door nail. The covers and windings age. They haven't been made in 15 years at least. You wouldn't expect a tire that's been sitting around for 15 years to provide traction like a new one.
[/quote]

Not in the US, but in Asia, perhaps?

A few years ago, I found a place selling Asian manufactured Maxfli HTs, genuine balata covers, that appeared to be of a relatively recent vintage. I don't remember finding a date on the boxes, so my supposition may be incorrect.