2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

2 WOODS

[quote name='jonnygrouville' timestamp='1447967933' post='12620998']
Phew! Now I feel better.

What is the collective noun for persimmon woods? A forest of persimmon? A sh!tload?
[/quote]

A cord. ;)

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

[quote name='oldschoolrocker' timestamp='1447960764' post='12620494']
Wow, would love to cull through that misc bunch.
[/quote]

I second that. More real wood than I've eve seen in one place in my life.

D -  TM Stealth+ Kuro Kage 5th Gen 60g S

4W - Ping Anser TFC S

3H - Ping Anser TFC S

4-PW W/S D7 Forged KBS $ Taper Lite S
48* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

54* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

60* W - Cleveland Zipcore RTX 6 DGS S

Putter - 22 TM Spider X Short Slant Hydroblast

Srixon Z-Star - Yellow
10.7 Hdcp (CPGA) 

[quote name='teevons' timestamp='1447956740' post='12620198']
[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1447813317' post='12613214']
Teevons-

If memory serves me, you had a couple of LH persimmon sets.....

Any 2 woods in those?

Posted my 2 woods (Wilson and MacGregor Ben Hogan Texan) in much earlier thread...

Have others, but all sweepbacks-no butterfly soleplates
[/quote]
Several months ago I sold almost all my misc lh persimmons to a lefty, had about 100 of them. In lh 2 woods all I have left is a couple Hogans and a First Flight.
[/quote]

Teevons-

Yes!
Those 3 are exactly what I'm looking for.
Also, just noticed the LH MacGregor 4 wood, sitting at about 3 o'clock in your big photo....

Let me know....

• 1 month later...

[quote name='majic' timestamp='1450969669' post='12759036']
When I first met Al Doyle in 1978 he was playing a MacGregor 2 wood. I think Eye O Matic. He played and won many amateur events using it. Metal woods did not suit his game but he did find a more lofted metal driver/2 wood and put it up. It was a great club. He could really hit it.
[/quote]

I remember when Doyle first started to get some attention nationally he was using a Ping Zing 2 metal driver with the "1" painted orange. That model had 14 degrees of loft.

I loved watching him play. You've mentioned before what a great putter he is, and I don't know of anyone who was a better pitcher of the ball from inside 100 yards.

His full swing was pretty neat as well. Short with virtually no hip turn, he got through every shot. I often wondered if he studied the writings of Mindy Blake (Golf Swing of the Future).

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

When I first met Al Doyle in 1978 he was playing a MacGregor 2 wood. I think Eye O Matic. He played and won many amateur events using it. Metal woods did not suit his game but he did find a more lofted metal driver/2 wood and put it up. It was a great club. He could really hit it.
[/quote]

Tad-

Regarding Allen Doyle's MacGregor Eye O Matic 2 wood_

What was the insert like- 2 colors? 6 screws? Firing Pin?

I'll guess 945....like you know who.

Shallow-

Doyle's PING ZING 2 metal driver just might have been [i]color coded orange [/i](2 degrees flat)

[quote name='rex235' timestamp='1450994990' post='12760400']
[/quote]

Tad-

Shallow-

Doyle's PING ZING 2 metal driver just might have been [i]color coded orange [/i](2 degrees flat)
[/quote]

Looks like the colour code might apply to the loft...

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1118413-ping-eye-2-wood-help/#entry10693893

[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1450977613' post='12759410']
[/quote]

I remember when Doyle first started to get some attention nationally he was using a Ping Zing 2 metal driver with the "1" painted orange. That model had 14 degrees of loft.

I loved watching him play. You've mentioned before what a great putter he is, and I don't know of anyone who was a better pitcher of the ball from inside 100 yards.

His full swing was pretty neat as well. Short with virtually no hip turn, he got through every shot. I often wondered if he studied the writings of Mindy Blake (Golf Swing of the Future).
[/quote]

Good lord. A Mindy Blake reference! How I rue the day my impressionable younger self stumbled across that name in the public library...

[attachment=3076974:Zing201.jpg][quote name='rex235' timestamp='1450994990' post='12760400']
[/quote]

Tad-

Shallow-

[/quote]

--Rory McIlroy 

[quote name='birly-shirly' timestamp='1451003126' post='12760860']
[quote name='Shallowface' timestamp='1450977613' post='12759410']
[/quote]

[/quote]

Good lord. A Mindy Blake reference! How I rue the day my impressionable younger self stumbled across that name in the public library...
[/quote]

I read both of his books last winter.

And while I didn't adopt his method in its entirety, his ideas on setup and backswing seemed to confirm some things I was seeing in better players and were things that I wasn't doing and needed to incorporate.

Started the year with a 6 handicap. Shot 8 rounds of par or better with a personal best of 66. At 55, it was the best year I've had since my early 30s.

Just sorry I didn't figure some of these things out sooner.

--Rory McIlroy 

That's good shooting! Would like to hear what you found that worked. What I seem to remember is an ideal of zero hip turn, a vertical backswing, a right elbow contorted to stay trapped in front of the body and a maximally arched left wrist at the top. He also thought that a slow-moving clubhead with your body weight behind it was better than a fast-moving clubhead, and more emphasis on lateral movement rather than rotation in the downswing. Doesn't he also have you address the ball way way outside the toe of the club?

The idea of setting the right arm more in front of the body at address keeps me from getting the club too far behind me on the backswing.

Another thing was keeping the club more closed on the backswing. Blake's comparison of the "Yesterday" swing to the "Today" swing resonated with me as I have always had the tendency to roll the club open going back. When I timed it well it worked but I never knew when the snap hook was going to visit. Ridding myself of that was a huge boost.

Finally the idea of turning both feet toward the target at address really helped my short game. It helps me to keep turning through the short shots, something I was never able to do otherwise. Don't know if I'd ever adopt it through the bag but I do mess with it from time to time.

The rest of it is interesting but not something I tried to apply. I do enjoy studying unconventional approaches to the game as it seems so very few find any real success with the conventional.

But golf instruction is much like prescription medication. The right solution applied to the right problem can work miracles. But selecting the wrong solution, or overdosing on something that may be fine in a smaller dose, can be seriously damaging or lethal.

--Rory McIlroy 

Sure have! Read that last winter too, which pushed me further in making those changes.

Turns out the thrift stores are good for more than just clubs. Some good old books are there to be had as well.

--Rory McIlroy 

• 1 month later...

Gee, and I thought my father had a lot of brassies. You guys have him beat, easily. I had a strong 3 wood I used in the persimmon days -- could never hit the driver.

Maltby STw2 10* Tensei Orange Stiff 46.75"
TourSwing Octane 10.5*  TourSwing Vengeance  44.5"
Tour Edge Exotics E8 16.5* 4 wood
Tour Edge Exotics E8 Beta 19* 3 hybrid 
Bridgestone Access VP-02, 6-AW
Inazone EZ-PZ CNC wedge 52* & 60*
LogicalOne Putter

• 3 weeks later...

Played yesterday with MacGregor Tommy Armour Model 65 1 - 4 woods, all had been previously re-shafted with stiff True Temper steel shafts. Since they had already been "molested" Eidolon and I decided to extend them to more modern lengths. The Deuce ended up at 43 3/4" long with 12.5* of loft, she is a heavy girl, weighing in at E2+. She is in the pics I posted at the beginning of this thread, but I may have to post more as she has captured my heart. 11 of 13 fairways hit with a baby draw, average drive about 240 yards with a Titleist DT TrueSoft ball... great day off the box, and pretty good overall. No club in the bag newer than 1964, Tommy Armour 915 Stainless 2 - 9, Wilson pitching and sand wedges and an original 8802 for the putter. Shot 86, oh I had never hit the woods or putter before yesterday and the irons in about a year! Really a fun day!

Played yesterday with MacGregor Tommy Armour Model 65 1 - 4 woods, all had been previously re-shafted with stiff True Temper steel shafts. Since they had already been "molested" Eidolon and I decided to extend them to more modern lengths. The Deuce ended up at 43 3/4" long with 12.5* of loft, she is a heavy girl, weighing in at E2+. She is in the pics I posted at the beginning of this thread, but I may have to post more as she has captured my heart. 11 of 13 fairways hit with a baby draw, average drive about 240 yards with a Titleist DT TrueSoft ball... great day off the box, and pretty good overall. No club in the bag newer than 1964, Tommy Armour 915 Stainless 2 - 9, Wilson pitching and sand wedges and an original 8802 for the putter. Shot 86, oh I had never hit the woods or putter before yesterday and the irons in about a year! Really a fun day!

Thanks for sharing this with us!

I absolutely love 2 woods. They are probably my favorite looking clubs in terms of head shape and proportions. I play a 693T 2 wood on some courses and it's amazing off the deck.

In terms of preferring a lofted up driver from the tee, I do have a rarity that was made for that very thing. I know this was a custom club, but often wondered why someone would ask for this to be made. From reading this thread, I can see that sometimes you just want a driver head that plays more like a 2 wood. Hence, the M85W 1 1/2 wood. Full driver proportions with more loft. Part of a beautiful set. Very few of these clubs exist:

In fact, here's the 2 wood from the set. I have never seen better grain on a 2 wood. Perfectly oriented micro-grain. It has so many growth rings you can't even see or count them. All the fairway woods have the same quality blocks. They look like they came from the same tree! This set is the next one I will be restoring.