Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

Well day three didn't finish quite the way I wanted, but I got to cherish something special. I made my second hole in one of my career on the Trails course. It was on #5 and it was incredible! A moment that will last for an eternity. Also, just an update. The greens are verti-cut and top dressed with sand. They didn't roll bad but they were definitely slower than expected. Enjoy!

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

Well day three didn't finish quite the way I wanted, but I got to cherish something special. I made my second hole in one of my career on the Trails course. It was on #5 and it was incredible! A moment that will last for an eternity. Also, just an update. The greens are verti-cut and top dressed with sand. They didn't roll bad but they were definitely slower than expected. Enjoy!

Congrats. Awesome hole to ace hopefully you didn't buy to many drinks.

Verticutting and top dressing should just be standard procedure for course (especially Poa) maintenance. We try to do it every 2 weeks.

Congrats on the ace! Be sure to notify the pro shop if you haven't already. Pretty sure they will give you a framed pic of that hole as a keepsake.

EFSZ 9* - X2Hot Pro 15* - Srixon H45 19/22 - Srixon 745 5-PW - Vokey SM6 50F, SM5 54F/58K - Odyssey Metal-X #7

Congrats on the ace! Be sure to notify the pro shop if you haven't already. Pretty sure they will give you a framed pic of that hole as a keepsake.

They sure did! Already hanging in my office! Thanks all, appreciate the love! It was a fantastic moment. Can't wait for my next trip down there!

Big Bertha 9* Diamana 70S
RBZ Tour 14.5* Diamana Ahina 82 X
Callaway Apex Pro forged 3-PW Rip Tour X
50*,54*,60* Callaway Forged Copper Wedge
Scotty Futura X Dual Balance

Congrats! Also, really appreciated the updates on the conditioning and the weather. Currently planning a trip for the first week of October 2018, so it’s been great to get a feel for what weather is possible and what course conditions/maintenance may look like. Our decision to do October instead of prime time over the summer appears validated!

So a little update to the aerification talk. I was told by an inside source ( we just hired a guy who used to be on the Bandon Turf Crew) that this aerification thing is all new to Bandon. They did not have to do it for years when everything was primarily Fescue and the last 2 years they have just started punching not even aerifying, think of just a hole punched vs a plug taken out.

Now that there is so much Poa they are starting to have to aerify. Sounds like Old Mac is still exempt and Trails might be (as of last year was) exempt also.

Just got back from a 4 day 7 round trip. For as much play as those courses see they were in great shape. I enjoyed every minute of it.

Question for a Bandonista or a caddie (or maybe both;). Played Bandon Sunday morning. I had a putt on #15 (par 3) from the back of the green downhill to the front. Wind at my back. Sun in front of me meaning it was downgrain. Should of been a lighting fast putt. It was one of the slowest downhill putts I've ever had considering all of the factors above. Why?

I was fighting to break 80 sitting at 8 over and the 3 putt bogey really sticks in my craw. Ended up with an 81 anyway but that laid some bad ju-ju on me.

BD consistently has the slowest greens on the property - and none of the courses have what I would call lightning fast greens.

It's always a bit of adjustment when I go down, getting used to how hard I have to smack some of those putts, especially on BD.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Agreed. Bar a steep slope situation, I don't think off-season Bandon is somewhere you worry about being sure not to lose a putt 10ft past the hole.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

My entire group was wondering if I would keep it on the green and I barely made it half way. The green did slope back to front. All the greens were sandy but I just couldn't believe how slow it was. Defied physics. Strange.

I would think that putt would be level at best if not slightly uphill just based on the geography of the course and where the ocean is. However I see your point that it looks severely downhill.

IMO, the greens there haven't been lightning quick in years. Especially now with the Poa invasion. My coworker (who worked there on the turf crew) said at best the cut them every other day. Sometimes every 2 days with only rolling in between.

I was out in Wisconsin getting my Bandon prep work in. Had all the rain gear on, battling wind and rain, in 40-something temps. Fortunately the bad stuff was only for 4 or 5 holes, but it was chilly and windy throughout.

Not quite up to Bandon quality, but it's a cool place to play golf nonetheless :)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I was out in Wisconsin getting my Bandon prep work in. Had all the rain gear on, battling wind and rain, in 40-something temps. Fortunately the bad stuff was only for 4 or 5 holes, but it was chilly and windy throughout.

Not quite up to Bandon quality, but it's a cool place to play golf nonetheless :)

We've been eyeing Sand Valley for a possible future buddies trip. I've read a lot about the C&C course and how Mammoth Dunes is coming along. Did you play the par 3 or get a look at it? How's the "hang" i.e. non-golf life at Sand Valley? I know 90% of the day is on the course but it's nice to have some good amenities after golf.

We've been eyeing Sand Valley for a possible future buddies trip. I've read a lot about the C&C course and how Mammoth Dunes is coming along. Did you play the par 3 or get a look at it? How's the "hang" i.e. non-golf life at Sand Valley? I know 90% of the day is on the course but it's nice to have some good amenities after golf.

I played 3 rounds on SV and 1 round on Mammoth (1-5,15-18). The par 3 looks neat and the guys I played with said it was a fun late afternoon arrival day play.

Played a few holes on Mammoth that actually struck me as a pastiche to holes at Bandon. Both courses end with a 5, so chance to get out with a birdie.

The main building is a solid start, well stocked proshop, good bathrooms/showers, solid combo bar/resto (more open than downstairs at McKees, with smaller capacity), they have a marquee that would double that capacity and a big deck. So with good weather they could accommodate loads of people. They also have this practice green with lit holes, where you can take glow balls out and use it as a Punchbowl type d1ck-about drinks time.

I actually stayed in a town called Adams 20mins down the road, as I was worried SV would be empty, but it was busy and locals come out to the restaurant too. 20 mins further south of Adams is Wisconsin Dells, which is a touristy town with loads of bars and restaurants. There were big signs for 'Wisconsin Dolls'... nothing against the lovely ladies of Wisconsin, but I took a pass on that.

Dead easy to get to - 1 flight into Chicago and 3.5hr drive. It will be well worth a 3 day weekend 2 rounds SV/2 rounds Mammoth + 1 round at Lawsonia Links on the way in/out. Unfortunately they were punching on Monday, so I drove over to Kohler and played the Irish instead.

F.T.

I played 3 rounds on SV and 1 round on Mammoth (1-5,15-18). The par 3 looks neat and the guys I played with said it was a fun late afternoon arrival day play.

Played a few holes on Mammoth that actually struck me as a pastiche to holes at Bandon. Both courses end with a 5, so chance to get out with a birdie.

The main building is a solid start, well stocked proshop, good bathrooms/showers, solid combo bar/resto (more open than downstairs at McKees, with smaller capacity), they have a marquee that would double that capacity and a big deck. So with good weather they could accommodate loads of people. They also have this practice green with lit holes, where you can take glow balls out and use it as a Punchbowl type d1ck-about drinks time.

I actually stayed in a town called Adams 20mins down the road, as I was worried SV would be empty, but it was busy and locals come out to the restaurant too. 20 mins further south of Adams is Wisconsin Dells, which is a touristy town with loads of bars and restaurants. There were big signs for 'Wisconsin Dolls'... nothing against the lovely ladies of Wisconsin, but I took a pass on that.

Dead easy to get to - 1 flight into Chicago and 3.5hr drive. It will be well worth a 3 day weekend 2 rounds SV/2 rounds Mammoth + 1 round at Lawsonia Links on the way in/out. Unfortunately they were punching on Monday, so I drove over to Kohler and played the Irish instead.

Thanks for the full-on trip report! Great info and glad to hear that the resort will have lots to offer over the summer, as the courses are fully open, and the services mature a little bit.

Bandon Rookie going up with a group of 36 Nov 2-6.

Comfortable walking shoes - waterproof - take 2 pairs

Layers and Rain gear

Take a caddie (necessary to ensure the bag is as light as possible?)

Any other pearls of wisdom?

First Round at Old Mac Donald, not sure what the remaining schedule is.

You've got the basics covered. You will love it.

Caddie is not necessary at all (consider a forecaddie), but if your bag is too heavy, they'll switch it out for a lighter one. Tip well.

Take advantage of the Jacuzzi and sauna. It really helps.

Trip report is a requirement, too (with pics).

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Bandon Rookie going up with a group of 36 Nov 2-6.

Comfortable walking shoes - waterproof - take 2 pairs

Layers and Rain gear

Take a caddie (necessary to ensure the bag is as light as possible?)

Any other pearls of wisdom?

First Round at Old Mac Donald, not sure what the remaining schedule is.

You've got the basics covered. You will love it.

Caddie is not necessary at all (consider a forecaddie), but if your bag is too heavy, they'll switch it out for a lighter one. Tip well.

Take advantage of the Jacuzzi and sauna. It really helps.

Trip report is a requirement, too (with pics).

Much obliged. Sauna sounds like a good time. We are staying at the Lily Ponds.

Lily Pond are my favorite rooms on property.

I feel it needs to be said that you DO NOT need to go to the Bunket Bar. It’s fun and great to say you went but you aren’t missing much and you would much rather have the sleep. Just my opinion, last year was the 1st time I went with a group and the 1st time there I stayed up later than I wanted and regretted it the next day.

I’m a caddie person but it is neither necessary or not necessary. You will enjoy it either way and the caddies are very much a nice bonus.

One more strong opinion. You don’t need anything more the McKees for dinner. Pacific Grill is nice but a little over priced. If you eat at McKees every night, so be it. I have always enjoyed their food (didn’t notice the drop off many have talked about) and there is enough variety that you will be fine for a couple nights.

^I don't smoke, so I've been in the bunker bar a grand total of maybe 20mins my first time there - definitely agree on the not overdoing the booze, but can be waaay easier said than done with a larger group.

Like caddies some places (Whistling Straits, Kiawah...) but not Bandon, as they are largely easy enough walks and laid out in front. But understand those who like using them.

I like to get into town one night, just to break up the golfiness of the trip. I can do McKees two nights a trip (out of 4) We're all lovely fellas, us Bandonites, but sometimes it's nice to mix with the humans for a night ;)

F.T.

I am sure there will be no shortage of imbibing over the course of the weekend and the Bunker will be visited. It's a happy bunch of guys going who are well used to the early tee time the morning after the night before. I'd like to play that hole just right and not take it too deep.

Dinner plans are

Trails end first night

Foleys Irish Pub in Bandon second night ( a few of us know the owner, so it will be nice to catch up)

MacDonald Hall last night. Losing team pays for dinner for the group

Starting to get excited, but the weather forecasts poorly. Excuse to buy new gear...

Round Schedule is

Old McDonald

Bandon Dune

Pacific Dunes

Bandon Trails

Today didn’t suck. 65 Sunny and hardly any wind. Greens were solid - had sandy spots recovering from aeration but rolled true and speed was good.

Went to the arcade in town tonight and played bingo and ate tacos with some caddies, resort employees and townies. Hoot.

OM in the morning and Bandon tomorrow afternoon.

ec28578457f9e9629e1b44a65e03f353.jpg

10ec81d38a5317e0a236e4afccd6ab61.jpg

45e6e416afc21a5d1c099b2cef1e79f9.jpg

40aec626490ad95c22f93dba87e3d2c7.jpg

Fantastic stuff 007. Courses always look so good in the nice weather. Love the look of the marine layer out on the horizon. Have you or anyone popped into the redone pizza place, which is now the Bandon town brewery? They were just setting it up last year and looks it's now open.

F.T.

The last of my Bandon-related purchases. This one is for Spud, as I think it's right up his alley ;)

F.T.

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?