Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

Day 1 (mostly travel day) in the books. Stared the long drive from Reno yesterday morning with 3 of the lads. Thankfully we were in a real nice Denali and the ride was pretty quick and pretty smooth. Pulled into Bandon Dunes around 2.30. Grabbed some lunch in Bandon Trails then checked in. Got unpacked and played the par 3 course in some considerable weather. Learning to check the ego at the door and pull 2-3 club more and swing easy in the wind. Long time lesson for me to not force my swing into the wind. Happy to hit each green but had a hard time putting. The greens were super bumpy and slow - but that’s ok I didn’t want to get used to that and don’t expect the greens on the proper courses to be in that condition.

A cocktail at McKees and a fantastic Wahoo special at Pacific for dinner.

Don’t tee off until noon but I can’t sleep!!

Quick little trip review.

Headed down to The Bandon Dunes ("TBD") with 8 guys from Oct 31 to Nov 5 (Tues night through Sat night).

Lodging

We stayed at the Inn. Two guys to a room. We were fans. It was nice to have a common area (library bar) where we could all meet up and have a few drinks, play cards, watch the game or sit out on the patio and chill.

Previously we have stayed in the Lily Pond rooms. The only real difference in the rooms is that the Lily Pond rooms have a fireplace and a little balcony. We thought that the bonus of having the library bar and the front desk at the Inn (answer questions, check in/checkout, meet in the lobby) ranks it a little higher in our book but really both are very solid options.

Food

I was curious about the food as I had seen posts on here commenting about how the quality had dropped a little bit.

I thought that breakfast was good. Ordered a la carte a few days and buffet a few days. No complaints for either. As always, the service was good.

Our lunches were always quick as we had to turnaround for a 2nd 18 each day. However, the lunches we had at the Tufted Puffin, Old Mac and Pacific were all fine or better in some cases.

The only drop in food that we noticed was some of the items at McKees. One of the guys said the meatloaf wasn't quite the same. The pizza was serviceable but that's about it. On a positive, the pork sandwich was real tasty. A good selection of booze and a good atmosphere.

Overall, the food is more than sufficient at TBD. We did not eat at the Gallery, Pacific or Trails (tried but booked everytime) and will give these a go on our next trip.

Golf

We played Pacific x 3, Bandon x 2, Old Mac x 2 and Trails x 1.

The courses were all in great shape.

We were very pleased with the greens as they were all in really good shape. On Old Mac the starter told us that the greens were running between 10 and 10.5.

On our previous trips we were down at the end of the March/early April. I thought the courses were in a little better condition this time of year. Further, as I said, apart from one or two holes out of the 72 the greens were rolling true with some good speed.

We liked our breakdown of the courses. We really enjoyed playing Old Mac twice as we got a little better appreciation for it. I think next time we will try to play each course twice on the trip.

We didn't play the preserve. We have played it before. Some of the guys in the group disagreed but in my view I would rather play a replay for $75 of any of the four main courses than play the preserve.

We had a few putting tournaments at the punchbowl - always a great time with buddies.

Overall a very solid trip based largely due to the 8 buddies and the courses being in great shape. Always sad to leave TBD but after 36 holes a day for 4 days straight it was time to leave (both physically and monetarily).

Nice report.

Curious why Trails only once? It amazes me how that course is a love it or hate it thing (don’t think it’s a hate it but just gets overlooked). IMO, that is the most underrated course in the US. Would you guys rank it higher if it was on the coast or not part of Bandon? There is just something magical about that course to me, add in that more often than not you can’t see any other groups for 3/4’s of the holes and you get the feeling that that course is what golf is really about.

Nice report.

Curious why Trails only once? It amazes me how that course is a love it or hate it thing (don't think it's a hate it but just gets overlooked). IMO, that is the most underrated course in the US. Would you guys rank it higher if it was on the coast or not part of Bandon? There is just something magical about that course to me, add in that more often than not you can't see any other groups for 3/4's of the holes and you get the feeling that that course is what golf is really about.

For us, it's because it's typically a slower round (sometimes much slower) than the other three, so we don't typically afternoon replay it. So we may go 2/2/2/1 on our trips because of it. That said I have explicitly scheduled it for two mornings in previous trips.

I've said before, that I think you can grab the Trails par 4s and drop them on top of many esteemed course's par 4s and not miss a beat. The mid-length 4s at Trails really are top notch.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Nice report.

Curious why Trails only once? It amazes me how that course is a love it or hate it thing (don't think it's a hate it but just gets overlooked). IMO, that is the most underrated course in the US. Would you guys rank it higher if it was on the coast or not part of Bandon? There is just something magical about that course to me, add in that more often than not you can't see any other groups for 3/4's of the holes and you get the feeling that that course is what golf is really about.

For us, it's because it's typically a slower round (sometimes much slower) than the other three, so we don't typically afternoon replay it. So we may go 2/2/2/1 on our trips because of it. That said I have explicitly scheduled it for two mornings in previous trips.

I've said before, that I think you can grab the Trails par 4s and drop them on top of many esteemed course's par 4s and not miss a beat. The mid-length 4s at Trails really are top notch.

We went down with 3 guys who had never been to TBD before. We thought they would appreciate the scenery and "prestige" of Pac and BD.

Funny enough, one of the new guys rated Trails as his favorite course at TBD.

Next time we will be playing 2/2/2/2.

Nice report.

Curious why Trails only once? It amazes me how that course is a love it or hate it thing (don’t think it’s a hate it but just gets overlooked). IMO, that is the most underrated course in the US. Would you guys rank it higher if it was on the coast or not part of Bandon? There is just something magical about that course to me, add in that more often than not you can’t see any other groups for 3/4’s of the holes and you get the feeling that that course is what golf is really about.

Imagine if Trails was ANYWHERE else in the US. Just say Pinehurst hypothetically. It would be one of the most coveted and highly ranked courses in the world, easily.

That course is definitely pure magic and my favorite course I've ever played, not just at the BD property. It's a shame people have preconceived notions about it, since it doesn't have any true ocean views.

Nice report.

Imagine if Trails was ANYWHERE else in the US. Just say Pinehurst hypothetically. It would be one of the most coveted and highly ranked courses in the world, easily.

That course is definitely pure magic and my favorite course I've ever played, not just at the BD property. It's a shame people have preconceived notions about it, since it doesn't have any true ocean views.

I was on RB24's trip. It was my third time at Bandon so I've seen all the courses in a variety of different conditions. For me, living in the PNW, Trails is the most like what I see and play on a weekly basis. It also has the most holes that I straight up dislike over any of the other courses on the resort (4, 14 and 16 come to mind). For those reasons it always falls a little further down the list for me.

I agree, however, that it is a fantastic track and that if it was anywhere else it would be a destination in its own right. There won't be any grousing from me about playing it twice on our next trip.

WCH

Ping G410 - Mitsubishi Tensei CK Orange 60 Stiff
915F 3w
913H (19) - Diamana S+ Blue 82 HY
Titleist AP3 4-PW - Project X 6.5
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)
Bettinardi Studio Stock #5 (2012)

Man, Back to work....

OK - Puck's review of Bandon Dunes 2017 Nov 2-6th.

Foreword: I like beer. I like wine and whiskey too. I also like food. I love golf. Unfortunately I can order food and wine on command. I cannot golf well, consistently, on demand. That being said, this trip touches on all aspects of my Bandon trip. Good, and bad golf included. I am also optimistic, so I may give things a great, or a 9/10 where some folks may say OK or 7/10. One thing will get 10/10 in this review - and it was legit.

Day 1: Old Mac Donald late morning tee time

Breakfast - Buffet at the lodge $17. Perfect. Don't need anymore, wouldn't have liked any less. Huckleberry Jam is pretty tasty on a well done Irish muffin. Coffee was great.

We dressed for showers and wind - but when we got to the course the flag was motionless and the November sun was in the sky. Met my caddy. Nice kid. After a few holes I had this uneasy feeling that my guy didn't know left from right. I wasn't buying his reads, but more importantly the other (more experienced) caddy was reading the greens much better, and in some cases completely opposite, than our guy. We had a few weird instances and finally I just did my own thing from a putting point of view. We gave up the first three holes and battled back to even on 18 tee box, then both pushed our tee shots right into the gnarly turf and lost our match 1 down. We were the 6th 4some out of 8 - so the guys were all up on the ridge behind the green watching us play in, having a few beers. It was a cool little Amphitheatre feel to the finish. Greens were in really good condition and the ball rolled true.

Back to the lodge, shower, shower beer - and up to Trails which had been shut down for our group for a family style dinner. Cesar Salad, Bread, Halibut, TriTip, Fixins. $65 before tip and tax. Everything tasted great!

Day 2 - Bandon Dunes, early morning tee time.

Up in the dark, coffee from the room. No time for the buffet - we got to get to the range to hit balls before our 8.30 tee time. No, no we did not. We weren't allowed to hit balls until the sun came up and that was around 7.40. Still though, sitting watching the Premier league in the shack with a hot chocolate watching the Rolex clock tick around and the sun come up. I've had worse mornings. Got to the course, opted for the breakfast sandwich from the lodge. Bacon (3 slices), scrambled egg (at least 2), pepperjack. Served on a perfectly done Irish Muffin. $8. Perfect.

I was on the fence about a caddy today. It wasn't the money - more the enjoyment. I hadn't really enjoyed my previous day because it was so weird to be told "miss is long and right here" and then hear the other caddy tell my opponent "you wanna be short and left on this". Anyway - glad I'm a pushover because my caddy today was a 9.999. We had a blast. I was hitting the ball well through the early morning dew and he was fun to be around. We talked more on the first hole than I talked to Day 1 guy the whole round. The other caddy was Irish, which was super cool - cause so am I. So we talked and walked and hit some good golf shots and had a damn fine day. This was my favourite course. Greens were true, and not super tricked up. Wasn't happy that I hit my approach on 16 right in the middle of the ball with the leading edge of my wedge. Baby....come back. Enjoyed a coffee and Jameson at the turn and we won our match 2&1.

Had a burger and beer after the round sitting outside in shirt sleeves. The bar burger was $10 with onion rings and it was really, really good. Watched all the guys play into 18 and then shuttled back to the rooms. Dinner that night was a small group of us at the Bar/Restaurant inside the lodge. Ordered the Tranche Cab, Cesar salad with chicken and anchovies. Chicken was dry. The rest was super good.

Had a few at the bunker, and played some dice. Nice evening all around. Went to bed hoping to get the same caddy the next day. He'd have been a 10, except he told me the only trouble on 18 was the pot bunkers right in front of the green. I opted to lay up because of the match and pushed it just a little right, where it turns out there was some hazard that I couldn't see. "Stay left Puck", would have seen him slip in at 10/10!

Day 3: Pacific Dunes - early morning tee time

The rain woke me up. I thought it was a maid pounding on the door, but it was the rain. Hit a few balls, lodge breakfast sandwich and some coffee. Just as good as I remembered it.

Today was a bit of a grind. I took a golf ball to the ankle on the first green from a guy teeing off on 2 teebox. Clubs were wet, clothes were on and off, umbrellas were up and down and my singles opponent had a super caddy who took him to the promised land! He'd line his putt up, tell him where to hit it and he'd make it. Opponent was on fire. It was fun to watch him, even though I was getting spanked. Really liked this course, and would like to have played it again. The wrath of the pacific descended upon us on 16 and we all just wanted to get indoors. Had a great time with both caddies in the group.

Dinner was a large group dinner in Old Mac Donald Hall. This was the culmination of the competition. Monday's round was just for fun and cash games. It was my birthday, so there were plenty of drinks being bought, wine being compared. Fun fun fun time. Until the alarm went off on....

Day 4 - Bandon Trails.

What a cool place, played poorly (no doubt due to the late night). I'd much rather have had this course in the competitive stages of the weekend, but it was something special. Got to see two bucks rutting on the 6th tee box right behind us. They locked horns and went at it for a few minutes. Super impressive up close. Some really challenging holes, but a beautiful walk. and some fun greens to hit into.

10/10 for the chicken salad wrap at the turn at this place. It was the epitome of the trip - even the simple things are done right at Bandon, and the simple things go a long, long way.

Nice report.

I was on RB24's trip. It was my third time at Bandon so I've seen all the courses in a variety of different conditions. For me, living in the PNW, Trails is the most like what I see and play on a weekly basis. It also has the most holes that I straight up dislike over any of the other courses on the resort (4, 14 and 16 come to mind). For those reasons it always falls a little further down the list for me.

I agree, however, that it is a fantastic track and that if it was anywhere else it would be a destination in its own right. There won't be any grousing from me about playing it twice on our next trip.

WCH

Just curious what other course in the PNW makes you feel like you are at Trails? Not disagreeing just want to play there.

To me there is something about a links course that is in the trees, sand based with fescue, very few holes paralleling each other. I also really enjoy the holes you dislike. 4 fits perfect to me, 14 is a blast (often times 3 wood or hybrid and then the same club then putter, 3 pars in a row without a GIR), and 16 is fun just depends on how you play it, IMO, being I play it for par and not bird and normally end up with par (only gone for it twice, 1 par and 1 double)

mallrat you should plan a trip down here for the tour of the southern courses before you move to the desert, next spring maybe?

Was thinking about this thread and the comments about the caddies while practicing my putting this morning.

My best two putting tips, that helped me the most, came from 2 different caddies at Bandon. The first noticed I had a push miss, and Aaron Hill, who I always recommend encouraged me to smooth out my transition. Paying someone to watch you putt that watches hundreds of golfers a year can have some benefits.

Flying out tomorrow, can't wait. Playing Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails and then Bandon Dunes. And the par 3 at some point too. From what I've seen as a first timer, I think that's exactly what I'd like. I'm not a huge links guy but obviously Pacific and Bandon Dunes are awesome and are must plays, and I love forested courses like what Trails seems to be so I'm very excited, a nice balance. Nothing against Old Mac, it just doesn't seem to be my preferred style.

Nice report.

WCH

Just curious what other course in the PNW makes you feel like you are at Trails? Not disagreeing just want to play there.

To me there is something about a links course that is in the trees, sand based with fescue, very few holes paralleling each other. I also really enjoy the holes you dislike. 4 fits perfect to me, 14 is a blast (often times 3 wood or hybrid and then the same club then putter, 3 pars in a row without a GIR), and 16 is fun just depends on how you play it, IMO, being I play it for par and not bird and normally end up with par (only gone for it twice, 1 par and 1 double)

There is really no direct comparison. As you noted, a links course in the trees is rare. Holes 1, 2, 17 and 18 are unlike anything I play regularly and are among my favorite on the course. But once you get on 3 tee to 16 green it (aside from the playing surface) it is a big course through tall trees. I like those visuals when I golf and I get the appeal if you don't see PNW forests on a regular basis. I'm in British Columbia and it is common here. But for me I don't get to play by the ocean or in heavy wind often. When I go to Bandon I want to get out on the cliff edge so I can experience those elements.

I'm not making a design argument against the course. Its about the kind of experience I want when I go to the place with some of the best ocean-side golf in the world.

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

Fair enough and wasn’t trying to be argumentative. Just like hearing other points of view.

@Matt - she didn’t get the job. Long story but for a stupid reason. Would love to swing down that way and play the courses down there. If you’re in the mood a group of us are going March 22-25 (I believe) but doing SandPines on Thurs and Sheep Ranch Friday if you want to join up.

Flying out tomorrow, can't wait. Playing Pacific Dunes, Bandon Trails and then Bandon Dunes. And the par 3 at some point too. From what I've seen as a first timer, I think that's exactly what I'd like. I'm not a huge links guy but obviously Pacific and Bandon Dunes are awesome and are must plays, and I love forested courses like what Trails seems to be so I'm very excited, a nice balance. Nothing against Old Mac, it just doesn't seem to be my preferred style.

One of my favorite things about Trails is there is no right or wrong way to play it. You can play it on the ground or through the air. But you still need to be able to hit almost every shot.

Example is 13 you can play anyway you want driver, 3 wood, long iron off the tee. Can play a low runner in or try and flight it all the way. Whatever you choose but the if you go for 14 off the tee you pretty much have to play your 2nd in the air if you miss (and the back pin is a sucker), I still don’t get why people think that is a birdie hole. IMO, it’s a get on in 2 and 2 putt anyway you can hole

Seem? Seem?

C'mon Vnutz, you need to play and find out :)

Looks like a typical PNW mixed-bag coming up, hopefully you see some sun.

One of my favorite things about Trails is there is no right or wrong way to play it. You can play it on the ground or through the air. But you still need to be able to hit almost every shot.

Example is 13 you can play anyway you want driver, 3 wood, long iron off the tee. Can play a low runner in or try and flight it all the way. Whatever you choose but the if you go for 14 off the tee you pretty much have to play your 2nd in the air if you miss (and the back pin is a sucker), I still don't get why people think that is a birdie hole. IMO, it's a get on in 2 and 2 putt anyway you can hole

You can also putt your second shot when you get your tee ball on the top tier ;)

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I will add this that with all the views on property my favorite is still coming over the hill on #3 at Old Mac. 11 yrs since my first trip (10 in all) and has never gotten old.

3 on Old Mac and turning the corner on 4 on Bandon for me :)

F.T.

I will add this that with all the views on property my favorite is still coming over the hill on #3 at Old Mac. 11 yrs since my first trip (10 in all) and has never gotten old.

I agree with you on both of these Duff, though it took me a trip or two to appreciate 3 on OM after it took me four shots to get over the hill (don't ask) the first time out.

Yeah, AV, you have to take a moment of appreciation and reflection once you climb up to 7 green.

The walk to the first tee on Trails is the best opening approach. :)

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

Fair enough and wasn't trying to be argumentative. Just like hearing other points of view.

Didn't think you were!

915F 3w
Vokey SM7 (48, 54 & 60)

I agree with you on both of these Duff, though it took me a trip or two to appreciate 3 on OM after it took me four shots to get over the hill (don't ask) the first time out.

Yeah, AV, you have to take a moment of appreciation and reflection once you climb up to 7 green.

The walk to the first tee on Trails is the best opening approach. :)

No doubt, I imagine that walk is the closest I'll ever get to the feeling of walking out on Sunday at a major, haha

Played the same course Sat/Sun, to help get the distances down on some new irons, before Bandon and swapped out putters.

That got me thinking, does anyone switch out putters for Bandon the way we talk about high irons and different wedges?

I was wondering if with potentially slower winter greens anyone goes to a heaver putter or one with a livelier insert? To be fair, Bandon winter greens are still likely more spirited than Autumnal Texas greens, but the difference between the RSX and O-Works putter was more substantial than I'd thought.

F.T.

Seem? Seem?

C'mon Vnutz, you need to play and find out :)

Looks like a typical PNW mixed-bag coming up, hopefully you see some sun.

Hey, hey, hey! It's not for lack of want, just lack of time. :)

Just got in last night, and holy hell what a place. So many times I found myself standing in the fairway just looking around and asking myself if this was real. Such an unreal place and amazing property, everybody who says you've got to do it was absolutely correct.

Weatherwise we couldn't have caught a better break. Friday morning early it was rainy and windy, but by the time we hit Pacific Dunes it was pretty much done. Huge contrast from the group's trip the previous year where they got caught in a monsoon. To some of those guys they felt like they were playing Pacific for the first time as the weather last year made it that unrecognizable. 50s and mixed wind/sun. Saturday was perfect, Bandon Trails early and the Preserve to cap off the day with our whole group of 11 at the same time. Capped off by a gorgeous Bandon Dunes Sunday, 50s/60s and sunshine, just amazing. Was even par standing on 18 tee box knowing my shuttle to the airport was waiting for me and promptly knocked 2 into the ravine and came out with a double.

In terms of play, I loved them all, but I think I'd go Bandon Dunes, Trails and then Pacific in terms of what I liked. I think if I played Pacific again I'd like it more. Wind was howling for that round, I wasn't swinging it well and I couldn't figure out the greens. Bad combo for a course with a lot of danger.

Couldn't have asked for a better weekend with some great guys. The winter rates will be rising for next year unfortunately. It is a roll of the dice playing this time of year with the weather, but if you luck out like we did and catch the weather perfect and at a less crowded time you're in for a treat.

Skip the preserve chili. Trust me. ;) :(

Pacific, Trails, Dunes.

26615262599_5c35377ba1_c.jpg

24520025998_b1e00b7325_c.jpg

37676713954_f0b3e95201_c.jpg

37676711584_fdb60423c6_c.jpg

37676731574_38d05da65d_c.jpg

That is awesome weather for your first trip! Love the waves coming in while you're on 11 at Pacific :)

And that's a tricky pin there on 15 at Trails, such a tough green.

Did they have many nets down yet for protecting certain fairways? I know it's your first go 'round, but how were the greens between the courses?

Hopefully the trip helps tide you over whatever kind of Midwest winter you get.

F.T.

Played the same course Sat/Sun, to help get the distances down on some new irons, before Bandon and swapped out putters.

That got me thinking, does anyone switch out putters for Bandon the way we talk about high irons and different wedges?

I was wondering if with potentially slower winter greens anyone goes to a heaver putter or one with a livelier insert? To be fair, Bandon winter greens are still likely more spirited than Autumnal Texas greens, but the difference between the RSX and O-Works putter was more substantial than I'd thought.

Theoretically you would go to a lighter putter for slower greens. I've considered it, mostly to protect my gamer, when using the Texas wedge shot.

But, last year I went to a limited set, D, 3W, 2H, 4i, 5H, 7, 9, 52, 60, P. I use that 5H around the green a bunch.

Ah, the greens, thank you I'd forgotten. We played the Preserve our first morning, and I couldn't get a putt to the hole, which was probably terrible preparation for Pacific. After the Preserve, Pacific played lightning fast for me. On the first hole I had a 15 footer uphill and thought I put a conservative stroke on it and ran it 6 feet by. They weren't lightning fast, but they got away from you quickly if your pace was off. There are certain greens complexes that I tend to struggle with, and Pacific has those. Every putt has some sort of undulation change, and often both uphill and downhill come into play on the same putt. I like quick greens but these felt like I had to lag every putt outside 6 feet to be safe. Trails had great greens for what I like, plenty of break but more straightforward than the typical Doak style, if that makes sense. They rolled pretty true and just about the right speed, neither too fast nor too slow, perfect for being aggressive if you wanted. Bandon's greens were pretty good but you could see the poa taking hold and some moss in a couple of spots. A little more bumpy than the rest but again pretty straightforward despite plenty of break. Greens on all courses were firm in receiving shots. The quick checking chip does not play out there.

All the greens I found to be pretty good considering where they are. If I were a country club guy or a greens snob I might give them something of a side eye here and there, but I found them to be perfectly playable and I was simply too happy being there to consider it a negative.

Just noticed the other question, yes there were nets down on maybe 5-10 holes throughout the weekend. I don't recall seeing any on Bandon Dunes, but there were a few spots on Trails and Pacific Dunes that were clearly heavily found collection areas that they were trying to keep from getting over-used.

Ah, the greens, thank you I'd forgotten. We played the Preserve our first morning, and I couldn't get a putt to the hole, which was probably terrible preparation for Pacific. After the Preserve, Pacific played lightning fast for me. On the first hole I had a 15 footer uphill and thought I put a conservative stroke on it and ran it 6 feet by. They weren't lightning fast, but they got away from you quickly if your pace was off. There are certain greens complexes that I tend to struggle with, and Pacific has those. Every putt has some sort of undulation change, and often both uphill and downhill come into play on the same putt. I like quick greens but these felt like I had to lag every putt outside 6 feet to be safe. Trails had great greens for what I like, plenty of break but more straightforward than the typical Doak style, if that makes sense. They rolled pretty true and just about the right speed, neither too fast nor too slow, perfect for being aggressive if you wanted. Bandon's greens were pretty good but you could see the poa taking hold and some moss in a couple of spots. A little more bumpy than the rest but again pretty straightforward despite plenty of break. Greens on all courses were firm in receiving shots. The quick checking chip does not play out there.

All the greens I found to be pretty good considering where they are. If I were a country club guy or a greens snob I might give them something of a side eye here and there, but I found them to be perfectly playable and I was simply too happy being there to consider it a negative.

I play greens that are pretty quick most of the year, but I've always aspired to have a low handicap that I can play to everywhere. If I can't adjust to the green speed I take full credit. I think it seems foolish to go to a links style course, play it in reasonably good weather, and complain about the speed of the greens. If you're out there in a squall do you really want them to run at an 11 so you can't finish your round? I aspire to be the first group out at one of the Bandon courses this winter to really see how bumpy they are after being mowed. I've never taken issue with them, but there's not a lot to compare them to.... in this region we only have a limited number of true links courses that aren't on that property. Having just come from Pebble Beach and Chambers Bay in the last few weeks, I'd say they the two links courses at Bandon I've played, PB, and CB are all commiserate as west coast links putting surfaces. Oh, and Pacific Grove, too.

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?