2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

+1 on mallrat's suggestions.

Going as a single is fantastic. You almost don't need to make a tee time, especially this time of year. You may want to check to see if you can switch to a room in the Lodge, if for no other reason than you can ride the elevator down to the jacuzzi in your bathrobe.

The Labyrinth is probably a half mile total from the Lodge. It's a nice walk, worth the effort.

Depending on your arrival time, you may have time to play the Preserve or Shorty's after you get there. Eugene is 2.5 hours to the resort.

I wouldn't think of going out in winter without a set of handwarmers in my jacket pockets, especially if it's raining. Rain gloves offer zero insulation. You should be fine with long johns under rain pants.

You can spend your evenings posting daily trip reports, so the rest of us can get revved up for our trips later in the winter....

I land in eugene around 2pm. So I’ll get to the resort after sunset. Sunday am I have pacific dunes scheduled. Sunday afternoon is free. Votes on below:?

Option 1: replay on my favorite big course

Option 2: preserve, punch bowl & Shorty’s. Not sure when else I’d fit these in. Know I wish I’d be going for 1 more day.

Do you guys play or skip preserve & sheep ranch?

I would skip Sheep Ranch if it wasn’t supposed to be closing. Just seems weird to play it solo. But has the potential for your most relaxing round of golf ever.

Also before you go, go to the range and give your gear a little sorting out. Take a big water bottle and dump the water on the rain gloves to get an idea. Make some swings with the jacket and pants on. Nothing worse than getting there and finding out something has a hole or doesn’t fit.

With time short focus on the big courses. Preserve and Punchbowl are better in groups and Shorty’s is a cool warm up but not a must do IMO.

Remember once you go solo the group will follow. You will start planning your next trip as soon as you return home and your friends will get sick of hearing about it and give in.

I think I am in the minority in that I've not played Sheep Ranch in 6 visits, with it not planned for our 7th. Much like skipping Sand Pines in Florence, we just want to max out our rounds on the 4 courses. Once they turn it into a course, we'll obviously play it :)

Played Preserve once to play it, but we'd rather replay rate 9 something holes on the big courses, than play the Preserve. Mallrat nails it, I can see the attraction of Preserve for big groups, making stupid bets, and drinking some, but for our regular foursome/twosome, not so much. That said if your legs don't have another 18 in them, it's a much better option than not playing.

Also a real good point about swinging a club in the gear. You can skip the trousers, but definitely if you could pop out to the range, throw on a base layer, golf shirt, windvest, and rain jacket, put on the gloves and hit a few balls - if it isn't too warm for that in Phoenix - that'd be a big help if you don't normally do so.

"Fortunately" we got absolutely p1ssed on and generally rained on for most of a round at Sand Valley in Oct, so I got my prep work in.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

GoreTex branded gear can be expensive. Search on eBay: Adidas Golf Goretex. I picked up a phenomenal Adidas 2-layer full-zip GoreTex Jacket for approximately $100, which is a steal in the land of GoreTex. Looking at the new Adidas website now, I don't see any GoreTex options. Maybe prices are cheap because they've discontinued the style.

hqdefault.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I think I am in the minority in that I've not played Sheep Ranch in 6 visits, with it not planned for our 7th. Much like skipping Sand Pines in Florence, we just want to max out our rounds on the 4 courses. Once they turn it into a course, we'll obviously play it :)

Played Preserve once to play it, but we'd rather replay rate 9 something holes on the big courses, than play the Preserve. Mallrat nails it, I can see the attraction of Preserve for big groups, making stupid bets, and drinking some, but for our regular foursome/twosome, not so much. That said if your legs don't have another 18 in them, it's a much better option than not playing.

Also a real good point about swinging a club in the gear. You can skip the trousers, but definitely if you could pop out to the range, throw on a base layer, golf shirt, windvest, and rain jacket, put on the gloves and hit a few balls - if it isn't too warm for that in Phoenix - that'd be a big help if you don't normally do so.

"Fortunately" we got absolutely p1ssed on and generally rained on for most of a round at Sand Valley in Oct, so I got my prep work in.

You're not missing anything at all with Sandpines IMO. I wouldn't play another round there if it was free. Well, maybe if it was free ;)

I've never played around out at the Sheeps Ranch property either. Might do it this year, as we have a big group and half of them will want to go play Crossings again on the day we arrive. I'd rather take a 12 pack of beer over to SR and see it before Gil Hanse breaks ground.

GoreTex branded gear can be expensive. Search on eBay: Adidas Golf Goretex. I picked up a phenomenal Adidas 2-layer full-zip GoreTex Jacket for approximately $100, which is a steal in the land of GoreTex. Looking at the new Adidas website now, I don't see any GoreTex options. Maybe prices are cheap because they've discontinued the style.

hqdefault.jpg

I bought a FJ waterproof rain jacket at my home course, we ko pa. Original price $290. I think i paid around $75. I know it’s not Goretex

I worked as a guide in the outdoor industry, whitewater and snow sports, for most of my adult life and GoreTex, in and off itself, is not the end all. There are a lot of great waterproof products out there, but W.L. Gore was the first and maybe is still the best at "waterproof breathable" technology. Gore will only license their products after approving the design parameters of the garment, so inherent design flaws (usually an exposes seam) can be eliminated before the item goes into production. I always encouraged my clients (who were often nervous, like the Bandon guest, about the conditions) to check the product maintenance and have it dry cleaned or launder it yourself and reapply waterproofing. Often times a quick spin in the dryer on high will actually reactivate the waterproofing. Hold the sleeve under the sink and douse it in water. If it doesn't bead up then take something else. You don't want to take an article of clothing that is already wetting out meaning it's absorbing the water (turns darker colored).

I for one don't do the bucket hat either although I think they work. I like Outdoor Research's Gore Tex Seattle Sombrero. I have an old one, but the new ones are even better, being more stylish and better design. They have a wide brim like a cowboy hat and I take a very thin toque, like a skull cap, and wear it to cover my ears. I also like to take both the FJ rain and winter gloves, and have an extra pair of the winter gloves in my bag. You should be able to dress in a way that your feet, core, and head are all warm, but being comfortable playing golf is about your hands staying warm. I start out in the FJ Rain Gloves, but after they wet out and my hands are uncomfortable I switch to the winter gloves. You have less dexterity and probably will play worse, but you'll survive more comfortably. Don't use the pocket warmers as they're just a lot to throw away (something about working in the ski industry and watching people opt for warmers instead of a proper fit in their boots and a decent i.e. thin pair of socks turns me off) - I'd be more tempted to take a zippo style one where you can refill it with lighter fluid. I'm just not into relying on disposable stuff, not that I don't burn my fair share of fuel to get over there and back. A couple things I haven't tried is the big mitts and or the quarterback sleeve, I can see the merit in each and may give them a go this winter.

^I bring these along with me. If you use the Rickshaws they work a charm. Not quite as nicely as with a Clicgear itself, but still very good:

cgm001-c_png_egdetail.jpg

When I shoulder the bag I tend just to keep my hands in my pockets.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Found these products online. What do you think?

GolfDiscount.com

FJ Contour Series Spiked Waterproof shoes white/navy $70

1 pair FJ rain gloves $20

Titleist waterproof bucket hat $30.

Amazon:

20 pack hand warmers $14 (probably would have to go to multiple stores here in Phoenix to find these. Its 85 and partly cloudy.

nfl style handwarmer pouch $14 (patriots was the least expensive ha, im embarassed to wear my hometown browns ha).

I say do it. You can always use the spineless as range shoes. The rain gloves can be a necessity (if not too cold I play gloveless). Remember with the rain gloves once on and wet they stay there.

One BIG thing we have forgotten is bring 5 or 6 Zip-Loc baggies. If it does start raining it is pretty much the only way to keep the valuables dry. 1 for phone, 1 for wallet and I keep a separate with cash for the turn stands (which are awesome).

If available bring a flask with warming beverage of preference

Footjoy rain gloves def better than Wilson?

I just bought at REI:

Waterproof Bucket hat

Hand warmers

Waterprooing shoe spray

Cool store!

Not sure if Footjoy rain gloves are better than wilson, I've only used footjoy. I can state that the footjoy ones work well when wet. They won't keep your hands warm, but you will be able to grip the club.

^I bring these along with me. If you use the Rickshaws they work a charm. Not quite as nicely as with a Clicgear itself, but still very good:

cgm001-c_png_egdetail.jpg

When I shoulder the bag I tend just to keep my hands in my pockets.

I think I drunkenly purchased these late last night. Probably immediately after seeing them in this thread. Better than the crappy Zippo handwarmer.

^Good stuff! That's how I ended up with a Mizuno JPX900 Driver being delivered on Monday :)

F.T.

I would skip Sheep Ranch if it wasn’t supposed to be closing. Just seems weird to play it solo. But has the potential for your most relaxing round of golf ever.

Also before you go, go to the range and give your gear a little sorting out. Take a big water bottle and dump the water on the rain gloves to get an idea. Make some swings with the jacket and pants on. Nothing worse than getting there and finding out something has a hole or doesn’t fit.

With time short focus on the big courses. Preserve and Punchbowl are better in groups and Shorty’s is a cool warm up but not a must do IMO.

Remember once you go solo the group will follow. You will start planning your next trip as soon as you return home and your friends will get sick of hearing about it and give in.

Should I leave Sunday afternoon open to replay my favorite course or should I book 36 at pacific on Sunday? The $50 replay + caddie for arguably the #2 public course in America is amazing.

Preserve would be the same price. I’ll save it for when I’m with a group. I’d just want to play it fast. The thought of getting stuck behind a drunk, gambling 8 some as a single isn’t my cup of tea.

How does everyone rank the courses at Bandon & why? Include preserve & sheep ranch if you’d like.

I’m probably on the outside here but

Trails - just feels special and imo, the best mix of holes

Bandon - just fun

Old Mac - unlike anything I have ever played before

Pacific - an amazing course but just isn’t my favorite.

Sheep Ranch and Preserve to me are much better with a group.

How does everyone rank the courses at Bandon & why? Include preserve & sheep ranch if you’d like.

I’m probably on the outside here but

Trails - just feels special and imo, the best mix of holes

Bandon - just fun

Old Mac - unlike anything I have ever played before

Pacific - an amazing course but just isn’t my favorite.

Sheep Ranch and Preserve to me are much better with a group.

Interesting thx!

There are some other threads where members ranked the courses and explained why. Also, the best holes, best finishing holes, favorite three hole stretch, etc..... anyone recall which threads those were in?

For me I waffle between BD and PD as my favorite, Trails a close third, and OM a distant (relatively speaking) fourth. Though I'm with spud when he says his favorite is the one he's playing.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

There are some other threads where members ranked the courses and explained why. Also, the best holes, best finishing holes, favorite three hole stretch, etc..... anyone recall which threads those were in?

For me I waffle between BD and PD as my favorite, Trails a close third, and OM a distant (relatively speaking) fourth. Though I'm with spud when he says his favorite is the one he's playing.

I can think of the tangents - but not the threads ;) Like picking your favorite Aston or 911 variant, everyone's a winner:

Bandon - My favorite course in North America. 14 very fun holes and the par 5s. My fave 3 hole stretch at the resort. Like a band's classic first album that is never surpassed, DMK is forever chasing shadows due to this course.

Old Mac - I think the template holes are well done and it's the closest example of what an old links course is, for those that haven't gone to UK/Ireland.

Trails - Awesome collection of mid-length par 4s and the scale of the course framed by the trees is massive.

Pacific: Maybe my favorite hole at the resort is here and maybe the most challenging too, is the best replay course due to miniloop options, but too many aerial approaches for a links course.

F.T.

^Good stuff! That's how I ended up with a Mizuno JPX900 Driver being delivered on Monday :)

they came today

My Zippo handwarmer and these things are going to be heaven at 10 AM when we tee off tomorrow.

This worked like a charm. 2 Zippo handwarmers. Partnered with one of my Bandon trip crew members, he was jealous riding in the golf cart, cart path only.

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?