2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?

duffer987

this might be a stupid question, but if I'm renting a car and driving down from Portland would it be useful to have some type of SUV or just whatever fits all of the gear?

Whatever holds your gear. Personally I prefer a car because I can leave my clubs in the trunk (assuming that I don't need to dry out my bag/clubs). SUVs generally have more room, but you have to take your clubs to your room every night. Too tempting for bad guys to bust out the windows and steal your stuff.

Or you can check your clubs in by the bag drop and they'll have them cleaned and ready for you the next day.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Trip booked for Jan 31- Feb 3, coming down from Seattle. I'll post a report after the trip, but after seeing this forecast and checking the course cameras fingers crossed we get anything along the same lines.

I'll be there for the Super Bowl tourney 2nd - 5th.

Are you going on the Rex trip, hoping for the 'Rex Block'? Same weekend, I can't wait!

this might be a stupid question, but if I'm renting a car and driving down from Portland would it be useful to have some type of SUV or just whatever fits all of the gear?

Whatever holds your gear. Personally I prefer a car because I can leave my clubs in the trunk (assuming that I don't need to dry out my bag/clubs). SUVs generally have more room, but you have to take your clubs to your room every night. Too tempting for bad guys to bust out the windows and steal your stuff.

Or you can check your clubs in by the bag drop and they'll have them cleaned and ready for you the next day.

I suppose that is an option as well. I just don't like leaving my bag and clubs in the hands of other people, even at Bandon.

Old stuff:
1962 Tommy Armour AT2W Driver   1953 Macgregor M65W EOM 3 wood   1978 H&B PowerBilt Citation 4 wood
1984 Ben Hogan Apex PC 2-E   1968 Wilson Dual Wedge
1964 Acushnet O-SET M6S Bullseye Putter

New stuff
Cobra ZL 10.5 driver (Matrix HD6 s-flex)  Titleist TSR2 18* fairway wood (Matrix Code-8 s-flex)   Adams A2P 20* hybrid (Rombax 8D07HB s-flex)
Titleist 716 MB irons 4-PW (Apex 4 soft-stepped)    Callaway Mack Daddy wedges 52, 56, 60 (DG S200)
Odyssey ProType 9 putter

I was humming and hawing calling up Bandon to see if they have any cancels in Feb - and while I'm aware prices have gone up the past 24months (heck I've been paying them) I didn't really cop on to how much Feb is now. I like using holiday weekends to save PTO so I've like Feb in the past, but they seem to be very cleverly pricing out the months to slippery slope you into the Spring.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

I'm already sliding down that slope and considering moving the annual visit to late March next year. For just a little more (~$150), you get slightly warmer temp averages and 2.5 hrs more daylight. And February is getting more crowded, especially on the Pres. Day weekend.

I'm already sliding down that slope and considering moving the annual visit to late March next year. For just a little more (~$150), you get slightly warmer temp averages and 2.5 hrs more daylight. And February is getting more crowded, especially on the Pres. Day weekend.

Ya that was the catalyst for my post. In Norcal, both times I went on Presidents Day I called at the end of Jan and got good tee times both times, while staying in town once and at the resort the other.

But looking at it further ahead, since I need a flight now, I was wondering, hell just go 5 weeks later in March and get the weather/light improvements.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Ya that was the catalyst for my post. In Norcal, both times I went on Presidents Day I called at the end of Jan and got good tee times both times, while staying in town once and at the resort the other.

But looking at it further ahead, since I need a flight now, I was wondering, hell just go 5 weeks later in March and get the weather/light improvements.

Pres Day weekend in 2016 was pretty packed. I'm back to the last week of Feb this time and I'll see how busy it is and make a call for 2019 afterwards.

One of the things I like(d) about February was the relative quiet and space on the courses. That seems to be all but gone.

Pres Day weekend in 2016 was pretty packed. I'm back to the last week of Feb this time and I'll see how busy it is and make a call for 2019 afterwards.

One of the things I like(d) about February was the relative quiet and space on the courses. That seems to be all but gone.

For kicks I went and looked back at my emails.

In 2013 I booked on January 30th for Presidents Day and 2015 I booked on January 27th for Presidents Day. The pluses of being able to drive up and given it was just for me and not for our foursome like at Thanksgiving.

F.T.

Just got back; played all the courses and Old Mac twice. It was my first time there and in terms of weather, we gambled a little with early January but lucked out, as the first day was 60 degrees and sunny with no wind, playing in short sleeves, a tiny bit of rain the other two days and windy only on the last day. Didn't use any of the rain gloves, long underwear, etc. that we brought, which was good with us! We were able to get in 36 holes each day even with the short day light but played from dusk to dawn.

Flew into Eugene and took 101 down. It was a nice drive and set up the trip nicely. Just hit up the Punchbowl when we got there, drinks at Pacific then dinner at the Gallery. The food was good at the Gallery, not great. Played Bandon Dunes and Old Mac the first day. With no wind and sunny, the golf was pristine. The courses were really good and we already started making plans for a return trip. Had a late night at the bunker bar, then hit up Pacific Dunes and Bandon Trails the next day. Fell in love with the place even more. Finally went to McKee's for dinner and was underwhelmed. But I'll drink beer any where and the games were on so it was good enough. The last day we played Old Mac again, this time in 20-30 mph winds, which obviously played a lot different from the first time, yet was fun and strategic. We finished by playing the Preserve, which was superb. Having it to ourselves, with BD and the ocean in the background, was a great way to close out the trip.

A few random thoughts.

- IMO, it's one of if not the best collection of public courses you can find. Spectacular terrain used brilliantly in each instance.

- The caddies we had were great and added a lot to the experience. They were much better than some of the private exclusive courses I have been to. Just down to earth, loved the game and did everything they could to make sure you enjoyed your time there.

- We had no idea what to do when we arrived on property. I was staying at Chrome while others were staying at the Inn, but we had no idea whether there was some central check in we went to first or went to our separate lodging. We all checked in at the Inn and were not given any instructions on anything except where to find our rooms. I finally saw a button on the phone for shuttle service and asked if they could drive us to the punchbowl, then asked the bartender how to get around, where to eat, etc. When we checked in for our first round, the check in guy simply pointed in the direction of the range, didn't explain we needed to take the shuttle, it would take around 10 minutes, etc. My caddie gave me a run down of everything during the first round. Maybe they just think everyone here is a repeat customer and knows the routine.

- The service was always nice, but the attempts at upcharging, etc. were unrelenting. Waiters trying to sell you on dessert a second, third and fourth time, the manager guy at the BD pro shop asking if all you're really getting was just a shirt on the sale rack, it was a little much.

- With that said, the lodging at Chrome was fantastic for what we paid. Great beds, fireplace, nice view, separate rooms for toilet and shower, liked it a lot.

- If I were to do it over, I would have changed the last day to the Preserve in the morning, then headed over to the Sheep Ranch. Instead, we played Old Mac again and the Preserve. I would have rather seen the Sheep Ranch as the last thing so the group could have dictated how long or short everyone wanted to play.

- Next time, I could see myself eating mostly at the Tufted Puffin bar lounge. I liked the bar better than McKee's, the food was better and cheaper, and service was better. You can order off the Gallery menu as well if you feel like splurging.

- We paid $150 for 36 holes a day. Over 3 days and 106 holes, we paid less than we would have for a single round at PB. One of the best values in golf IMO.

Good to hear you enjoyed yourselves.

You guys come to a consensus on favorite tracks/holes? Obviously it can all be a bit much to think about first time through. Good you got some wind at least once... it's hardly golf without it obviously ;)

That's an interesting point about them assuming you've been before. In the winter they might be more inclined to think that's the case... I cannot even remember how I got to know things now, ha.

F.T.

Good to hear you enjoyed yourselves.

You guys come to a consensus on favorite tracks/holes? Obviously it can all be a bit much to think about first time through. Good you got some wind at least once... it's hardly golf without it obviously ;)

That's an interesting point about them assuming you've been before. In the winter they might be more inclined to think that's the case... I cannot even remember how I got to know things now, ha.

Old Mac was my favorite, followed very closely by Trails, then BD then Pac Dunes. Everyone else in my group liked BD the best. They were all really good though. Would travel there to play any one of them.

- The service was always nice, but the attempts at upcharging, etc. were unrelenting. Waiters trying to sell you on dessert a second, third and fourth time, the manager guy at the BD pro shop asking if all you're really getting was just a shirt on the sale rack, it was a little much.

To others:

Have you also experienced this too.....first time I've read that the staff was trying to push add'l 'products'.

To others:

Have you also experienced this too.....first time I've read that the staff was trying to push add'l 'products'.

I can't remember ever feeling pushed to spend more money at the shops, food, etc. Just routine customer service questions like "need anything else?".

To others:

No. No hard sells anywhere, at anytime.

@Mallrat - Did a quick google, I didn't realise that was going on!

F.T.

Glad it hasn’t happened to others. It was enough for me to notice but the guy at the BD pro shop is what stuck out the most. Maybe he was joking who knows. Of course, maybe it’s something they’ve implemented this year as well. Either way, it was enough to mention but that’s about it. It didn’t detract at all and I’m already planning a repeat trip.

Glad it hasn’t happened to others. It was enough for me to notice but the guy at the BD pro shop is what stuck out the most. Maybe he was joking who knows. Of course, maybe it’s something they’ve implemented this year as well. Either way, it was enough to mention but that’s about it. It didn’t detract at all and I’m already planning a repeat trip.

Not to pile on, but I think that's the first time I've ever heard of the staff being called anything but A-1. Hope it was anomalous. Glad to hear that the golf surpassed expectations. I agree with duffer that the lack of 'direction' could be due to the fact that most of their customers this time of year are repeats, and many from the local areas. I certainly recognize a lot of the players and staff from previous visits.

I'm down to 46 days out...

To others:

I work with a guy who used to work there and from what he says there are now multiple women suing the company. From what he says it is a $75 mil suit.

I've met a couple staff over the years I thought were poor with their customer interactions and I made sure to include it in the survey email Bandon sends out. If they read it and act upon it who knows, but it doesn't hurt to share your anecdote with the resort.

You going to book another winter trip? I'm guessing it's nice to get out of Philly and the 'warmth' of the PNW ;)

F.T.

Not to pile on, but I think that's the first time I've ever heard of the staff being called anything but A-1. Hope it was anomalous. Glad to hear that the golf surpassed expectations. I agree with duffer that the lack of 'direction' could be due to the fact that most of their customers this time of year are repeats, and many from the local areas. I certainly recognize a lot of the players and staff from previous visits.

46 days out now as well. unfortunately I threw out my back bad for the first time in my life last week, doing nothing as all. such is the life these days i suppose now that i'm well into my 40s. it's getting better and I'm fully confident I'll be able to make the trip assuming i don't mess it up again................................my pre trip prep is all short game and knock down shots which in theory should be easier on the back, so I'm hopeful I can be prepared.

This will be the first time we're showing up with more than 4, with 8 guys this year we're gonna put together some kind of Ryder Cup style competition. Out tee times don't exactly jive, but the courses on each day are pretty much the same, so we should be able to cobble together something kind of legit.

I'll be on the look out for any Ron Popeil style sales tactics and will report back.

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/2017/11/14/bandon-dunes-kempersports-center-sexual-harassment-lawsuit

I believe by 2020, there will be no more males in the work force due to all the sexual harassment allegations that are coming out of the corporate closets. :swoon:

46 days out now as well. unfortunately I threw out my back bad for the first time in my life last week, doing nothing as all. such is the life these days i suppose now that i'm well into my 40s. it's getting better and I'm fully confident I'll be able to make the trip assuming i don't mess it up again................................my pre trip prep is all short game and knock down shots which in theory should be easier on the back, so I'm hopeful I can be prepared.

This will be the first time we're showing up with more than 4, with 8 guys this year we're gonna put together some kind of Ryder Cup style competition. Out tee times don't exactly jive, but the courses on each day are pretty much the same, so we should be able to cobble together something kind of legit.

I'll be on the look out for any Ron Popeil style sales tactics and will report back.

Do you guys ever do 2 rounds+ with the extra sunlight on offer? It's a gigantic 90mins more than what's available over Thanksgiving... so maybe just more it's easier to fit in those 2 rounds.

F.T.

http://www.golf.com/courses-and-travel/2017/11/14/bandon-dunes-kempersports-center-sexual-harassment-lawsuit

I believe by 2020, there will be no more males in the work force due to all the sexual harassment allegations that are coming out of the corporate closets. :swoon:

Does that mean we’ll all be “trophy husbands”?!

Going to give new meaning to the “participant award” trophies.

Do you guys ever do 2 rounds+ with the extra sunlight on offer? It's a gigantic 90mins more than what's available over Thanksgiving... so maybe just more it's easier to fit in those 2 rounds.

We usually break out the beers and hit up punchbowl or Shorty's. We've even hit up the practice green in front of The Gallery. Basically, we're too exhausted to walk more, desperate enough to commence getting hammered, but still want more competition. We'll play till dark, shower, and continue drinking at McKee's (and eat something).

G400 LST 8.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 14.5, Tour 75 stiff
G410 19, 22, Tour 85 stiff
T100s, 5-gw, AMT White S200
Vokey, SM7, 54S, 58M
Never Compromise Portofino

One round with a tee time in the morning, lunch, then as many holes as I want (or can) in the afternoon. I'm going with a foursome this year, so that may change as required.

As I age (not so gracefully), the legs and back are becoming the limiting factors.

Has anyone looked at Bandon on google earth lately? I just noticed that on Pacific Dunes by the clubhouse there is a drawing of a building between the clubhouse and 18 green. It's low resolution, but it looks similar to a double wide trailer with a clock at one end. It reminds me of the old clubhouse description from "Dream Golf". (I never saw the old one) Does anyone know if this is where the old clubhouse was located, and this is an artist's rendering of that?

• duffer987 changed the title to Bandon Winter/Spring Reviews - When did you stop raining so much Oregon?