Portland area course conditions

mallrat

Thought it might be good to have a running thread on course conditions for the PDX area over the winter.

Heading out to play this coming weekend and was curious if anyone has played Stone Creek and/or Langdon lately. I know a bunch of places will probably be soggy messes but those both seem to drain fairly well. I used to be a member out at the Reserve and the courses drain ok and stay in very playable shape but they seem to always be on a frost delay.

Any recent experiences out there?

Played Langdon today and it was in very good shape. Just a few squishy spots in a few fairways. Greens were in good shape, but needed a rolling. Pampas grasses have been chopped for the winter (woo hoo!). Driving range was on the mats, carts on path only, and there was an hour frost delay.

They have started their winter match play sessions, so weekend tee times go quickly. This also affected pace of play today. 4:30 for 18, as we waited on several holes for the foursome in front of us to jabber about things on the green.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Stone creek is in awesome shape. One or two mushy spot on 11 and 12. But overall course is playing great. Has roll and greens are superb!!

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

In the winter I rotate between:

Stonecreek- play here more

Langdon

Tri Mountain

Occasionally Elk Ride

[font=lucida sans unicode,lucida grande,sans-serif][size=3]TM M6 9 deg.w/ Tensei Pro White 70TX[/size]
[size=3]TM SIM Ti 15deg w/ Tensei Pro White 80TX[/size]
[size=3]​TM P790 3i w/ Tensei Pro White 90TX[/size]
[size=3]TM P790 4i w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]Srixon 765 5-PW w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Milled Grind 50deg, 54deg, and 58deg High Toe w/ Nippon 125X[/size]
[size=3]TM Spider X Copper[/size][/font]

• 1 year later...

Heron Lakes Blue was surprisingly firm to me on the fairways. was getting the ball to bounce and roll on several drives. Rough is still very wet in some spots. Still sandy as of 04/13 but greens were in great shape for the beginning of the season.

Glendoveer was a bit squishy in spots and parts of the really squishy fairways really got torn up by carts that got stuck. Playable for the most part. East just got aerated, but rolled decently all things considered.

Yes, I played the Reserve North course about 3 weeks ago. It was the worst of all the courses I have played this past 6 weeks. Just not ready. Lots of rounds at Langdon. I think it is in the best shape of all courses. Stone Creek was a pleasant surprise. I had never played out there until a few weeks ago. Terrific course and they have it in great shape. I have played Red Tail several times, mainly because I live right next to the course and I just purchased new sticks from there. It is a slog. Still soggy everywhere and they just don't make any attempts of grooming it in any way. My round at Eastmoreland was a month ago so I'm assuming it got better. It was very soggy when I played. I also have played Rose City about 5 times. It was terrific just coming into the season when other courses were unplayable. I played it yesterday and it was fine. Not soggy, still had a couple of drives stick in the fairway. It's a decent muni that reminds me a lot of the course I grew up on in Arizona. All said, though, Langdon is the place to play right now.

I saw Pumpkin was asking like $85 for a round right now and about pooped myself. NO WAY is that course in good enough shape to spend that kind of money. I wonder at what point do they price themselves out of the market. I guess people will want to play there for the name but in the middle of summer when they charge twice the rate of Langdon, doesn't make sense to me. And I'm not a huge Langdon guy but the course is worth the $ at least.

Played Langdon yesterday (4/22). The sunny day on Friday allowed them to get mowers on most of the rough. Still lots of squishy spots though.

Fairways were running nicely. Tee boxes looked like they needed a little help and the greens are still recovering from the aeration a few weeks ago. Some were very bumpy and could use a good rolling.

Broadmoor on Saturday was firmer than I thought it would be. Drives plugged in a few holes but the majority did not. Greens were aerated it look like a couple weeks ago and still a little bumpy.

Glendoveer west was also firmer than I expected. Although it was still a bit squishy in spots. Probably half my drives plugged. Greens were bumpy still. But looks like they're close to recovery if they'd just roll them.

Rough still quite bad at both.

Played Langdon yesterday (4/22). The sunny day on Friday allowed them to get mowers on most of the rough. Still lots of squishy spots though.

Fairways were running nicely. Tee boxes looked like they needed a little help and the greens are still recovering from the aeration a few weeks ago. Some were very bumpy and could use a good rolling.

I would agree about Langdon. I played there again yesterday, a bit of a downpour hit us on 8. In my 20 some odd rounds this year, that was the hardest I have gotten hit with rain, thankfully it only last two holes. If you rate the course as a stand alone, there are lots to improve upon. But when comparing the course to others in town, it's like playing Augusta. Played Redtail again on Friday and it is improving but many holes have yet to be mowed. Just have to be patient I guess.

More rain in the forecast this week, of course.

I play RedTail fairly regularly, and try to play Langdon every weekend.

Langdon is good to go as of right now, though the rough is soft still. Greens were just punched and sanded a couple weeks ago, but are rolling alright. All the greens are raised so they are dry (almost) year-round. Keep it in the fairway and you'll be fine, but keep a close eye on your ball if it finds the rough on the fly. The sand is also playable now for the most part.

RedTail will become playable pretty soon, they still can't mow a decent number of the fairways, but I found the greens to be pretty decent actually. Gotta keep an eye on your ball, or else you'll lose it in the fairway lol. I lose a couple balls in the fairway every time I play there in the winter/early spring.

Has anyone played Rose City or East Moreland? I'm afraid they may be like RedTail right now, but am really eager to check them out because I'll be moving to the east side soon.

I play RedTail fairly regularly, and try to play Langdon every weekend.

Langdon is good to go as of right now, though the rough is soft still. Greens were just punched and sanded a couple weeks ago, but are rolling alright. All the greens are raised so they are dry (almost) year-round. Keep it in the fairway and you'll be fine, but keep a close eye on your ball if it finds the rough on the fly. The sand is also playable now for the most part.

RedTail will become playable pretty soon, they still can't mow a decent number of the fairways, but I found the greens to be pretty decent actually. Gotta keep an eye on your ball, or else you'll lose it in the fairway lol. I lose a couple balls in the fairway every time I play there in the winter/early spring.

Has anyone played Rose City or East Moreland? I'm afraid they may be like RedTail right now, but am really eager to check them out because I'll be moving to the east side soon.

I played Rose City on 4/28. Greens are pretty nice but the fairways and rough still need attention. I was thinking it would be a bit less soggy by now but there were still many areas that had your ball plugging. There was a bit of drama as I was just getting there as a group of 10 guys were playing all together, not all with clubs. They were refusing to break up into 3 groups and stated they would dispute the green fee charges if the starter did anything about it. Staff ended up kicking them off the course when they made it to hole 7. Pretty ridiculous. It had basically brought the course to a halt. Ended up finishing my round in about 4:25.

Played Langdon this morning. What a glorious day in Portland to be out. Should have worn shorts but playing in short sleeve shirt was a treat. They had mowed the greens tight last week and they weren't as quick today. Course is getting in great shape. Shot 82 with doubles on 17 and 18. So angry with myself for blowing a solid round. I'll likely be sticking to 80% of my golf to Langdon right now. That course just doesn't get old for me.

Playing Langdon tomorrow AM.

Pretty much anywhere the greens are respectable is good by me. Although I'm coming from Arizona, so I hate the super moist greens that kill all the spin, but still have downhill putts that roll as if its Pinehurst 2, aka Quail Valley and Glendo. My thoughts on courses over the past few months.

Reserve is unplayable, that's a mid summer course at best for me, which sucks because its relatively close to my work.

Pumpkin is a bit wet, I used to work there so I have a soft spot in my heart for P ridge but I'm over looking for balls in the fairway.

Glendoveer is ok, rough is a bit taxing but greens are in decent shape.

Langdon drains pretty well, but I'm not a huge fan of the course. To be blunt, I think 5 of the first 8 holes are rinky dink for a course regarded like Langdon is. #6 the volcano hole is a joke. But again, just trying to get rounds in where I can locate my ball.

Stone Creek is probably the best bet, drains well and has good greens. Couple of valley holes that I'm not a fan of but they did what they could with the property.

Chehalem gets soggy in places but its playable in the winter.

Bandon Dunes is the best ever, always choose Bandon

Redtail is the worst ever, never choose Redtail

Eastmoreland is a good play when its relatively dry. I enjoy the setting, and the course is a good setup given it was built eons ago.

Never played Augusta

Pretty much anywhere the greens are respectable is good by me. Although I'm coming from Arizona, so I hate the super moist greens that kill all the spin, but still have downhill putts that roll as if its Pinehurst 2, aka Quail Valley and Glendo. My thoughts on courses over the past few months.

Reserve is unplayable, that's a mid summer course at best for me, which sucks because its relatively close to my work.

Pumpkin is a bit wet, I used to work there so I have a soft spot in my heart for P ridge but I'm over looking for balls in the fairway.

Langdon drains pretty well, but I'm not a huge fan of the course. To be blunt, I think 5 of the first 8 holes are rinky dink for a course regarded like Langdon is. #6 the volcano hole is a joke. But again, just trying to get rounds in where I can locate my ball.

Stone Creek is probably the best bet, drains well and has good greens. Couple of valley holes that I'm not a fan of but they did what they could with the property.

Eastmoreland is a good play when its relatively dry. I enjoy the setting, and the course is a good setup given it was built eons ago.

Never played Augusta

I actually really enjoy Redtail's layout, but the damn place is unplayable for 6+ months of the year. Take out your gum boots instead of golf shoes.As much as I love Langdon, the front nine is a little rinky dink. 1, 5, and 8 are like that for me. 6 (volcano hole) is my nemesis, only ever had 1 birdie there (hole out from bunker) and I think two par's. It feels like they were going for a "Postage Stamp" kind of hole. Its frustrating, but a good challenge.Any of you guys played Wildwood this winter? I heard from an employee that it stays fairly dry even in the winter.

I'll say this about Langdon, I used to think some of the front 9 was kinda rinky fink also, then looked at those holes from the back of the blues and the blacks and it's a totally different course. Now I look at 1 as a nice smooth opening hole. 4, to me is about playing it smart, I look at it as 2 par 3's. 8 would be a great hole but the barn throws people off and people are so afraid of the bunkers that they pull everything.

I think 6 is a perfect example of a hole doesn't need to be long to be tough.

Never played Augusta

I actually really enjoy Redtail's layout, but the damn place is unplayable for 6+ months of the year. Take out your gum boots instead of golf shoes.As much as I love Langdon, the front nine is a little rinky dink. 1, 5, and 8 are like that for me. 6 (volcano hole) is my nemesis, only ever had 1 birdie there (hole out from bunker) and I think two par's. It feels like they were going for a "Postage Stamp" kind of hole. Its frustrating, but a good challenge.Any of you guys played Wildwood this winter? I heard from an employee that it stays fairly dry even in the winter.

Unless they have dramatically changed wildwoods drainage, it was always soggy on a number of holes, Fairway and rough. I don't remember the greens. I'll have to venture out there sometime.

Played Langdon today and the course is in really nice shape. Rough has dried out completely and been mown, greens are pretty much fully healed from the punching, and they are rolling them, so they are quick. Tall grasses are getting tall, so stay in the fairways!

Beauty day today - just wish my game was up to it...

It was a glorious day yesterday to be on the courses. I played Rose City ($13 on GolfNow). About as good as this course is going to get. Everything has been mowed. Fairways were in great shape, drives were getting some roll. Picturesque with the great tree lined fairways and all trees in full bloom. Very forgiving course. I like it as you can really work on your driver without fear of too much penalty.

I purchased a new Titleist 915 D3 at Red Tail before my round. Half off 'Red Sticker' as you all are probably very familiar with. Was bombing it around the course. Really love this driver after I divorced my Cobra Fly Z+ about a month ago.

Let's hope we continue with this nice weather.

I experienced the same pleasant conditions at glendoveer east. The rough is thick but cut - actually caught me by surprise on a few shot. the fairways for the most part are getting roll - my drive plugged on the hill on #7. some holes that don't get much sun are still soggy (like #4 from about 100 to 200 out, always soggy until we get a lot of dry weather) greens were in great condition for what I expect there. west got punched early last week or late the week before I was told so I played east.

Never played Augusta

I take no issue with Redtail's layout. I enjoy it. What I do take issue with is stacking tee times, absurd wait times, and the bros in the golf shop that always act like they are doing you a favor. Some are nice, but just feels like hacksville. City got fleeced, as most of the money is made in pro shop with their $10 per bucket broken range balls and constant going out of business sale.

I take no issue with Redtail's layout. I enjoy it. What I do take issue with is stacking tee times, absurd wait times, and the bros in the golf shop that always act like they are doing you a favor. Some are nice, but just feels like hacksville. City got fleeced, as most of the money is made in pro shop with their $10 per bucket broken range balls and constant going out of business sale.

Yeah, It gets pretty bad. Last season I had a round that took 3.5 hrs for the front, then everyone cleared out and I played the back in just under 1.5 hrs. Its really a shame, and the one employee I know decently well is pretty disappointed with how the place is run and conditioned. I played yesterday, and the fairways have become solid again. Pace of play was alright (2 hr nine), but still a little slow for how late in the day it was.

I actually think their range balls are decently affordable and of good quality too. They have a pretty decent practice facility there, one hilly putting green and one flat, separate chipping and pitching greens. Sucks that they only have mats for the range though.