2024 RBC Heritage WITB photos ×

Portland area course conditions

mallrat

Did you guys get a lot of rain over the weekend? We got soaked down south. I think I'll take a few days off, can't go back to mud balls.

Wasn't too bad in Portland. Wasn't playing mud ball at camas meadows today and this is at a course that doesn't seem to drain very well. Greens weren't as firm as heron where I played last week. Nothing plugged but it was a little squishy under the feet here and there. Nothing very bad though. Definitely not mud ball though.

Getting into a groove/rut with my current course rotation. Down to Red Tail, Langdon, Rose City and rarely Heron Lakes (I've played Eastmoreland, Reserve and Forest Hills but wouldn't add them to a regular rotation). Would like to play Stone Creek more but it is 45 minutes away. Any thoughts on a course that I need to play more often?

OGA for the price is always a good deal, just a PITA to get to.

It's funny, I think we have a lot of fun golf around here but few to no truly great or must play courses that are public. We have a lot of good courses but they have their quirks. I think some of the higher end courses are VERY overrated.

Played Reserve South for a tourney today and no way would I pay $90 for that course. Tee boxes haven't been mowed in a week, lord knows what the are doing with the bunkers, greens are 2-3 full stumps slower than Langdon and the marshall gave us crap about pace of play being a 4 some behind a 3 some and were never more than a shot off them.

Getting into a groove/rut with my current course rotation. Down to Red Tail, Langdon, Rose City and rarely Heron Lakes (I've played Eastmoreland, Reserve and Forest Hills but wouldn't add them to a regular rotation). Would like to play Stone Creek more but it is 45 minutes away. Any thoughts on a course that I need to play more often?

OGA for the price is always a good deal, just a PITA to get to.

It's funny, I think we have a lot of fun golf around here but few to no truly great or must play courses that are public. We have a lot of good courses but they have their quirks. I think some of the higher end courses are VERY overrated.

Played Reserve South for a tourney today and no way would I pay $90 for that course. Tee boxes haven't been mowed in a week, lord knows what the are doing with the bunkers, greens are 2-3 full stumps slower than Langdon and the marshall gave us crap about pace of play being a 4 some behind a 3 some and were never more than a shot off them.

+1 on the OGA course. Wouldn't want to play there every week, but it's a good one to toss in once in a while.

I would add Quail Valley to the rota, especially after it bakes out in about August, and you can play a British Open -style game, as everything runs forever.

We do have a lot of good courses, a couple really good courses, but no great public courses in the PDX area. It's almost a crime that we have two RTJ II courses (Heron Lakes) and one Chandler Egan course (Eastmoreland), all munis and all suffer from it, maintenance-wise. That said, I have buddies in Eugene who would sell a family member to have a couple of these courses in that golf-dearth down south of us.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

We do have a lot of good courses, a couple really good courses, but no great public courses in the PDX area. It's almost a crime that we have two RTJ II courses (Heron Lakes) and one Chandler Egan course (Eastmoreland), all munis and all suffer from it, maintenance-wise. That said, I have buddies in Eugene who would sell a family member to have a couple of these courses in that golf-dearth down south of us.

+1 fwiw - I really enjoy all three of those. I only play Moreland after July though because it's unplayable in the winter. I wish Heron Lakes drained better but for the most part - playable year round (Heron Blue that is...green still gets really soggy). That being said...did anybody get the Centennial deal at the Portland munis?

+1 fwiw - I really enjoy all three of those. I only play Moreland after July though because it's unplayable in the winter. I wish Heron Lakes drained better but for the most part - playable year round (Heron Blue that is...green still gets really soggy). That being said...did anybody get the Centennial deal at the Portland munis?

I've been trying to do the math on this deal. Not sure it is a perfect fit for me. Would take Langdon out of the rotation which I'm not excited about.

If you do the $499 pack, 50 rounds = $10 a round. So it really depends on how often you're playing. If you play 100 a year, 50 at Langdon or elsewhere, and 50 at the muni's it's a great deal. Of course you've gotta fit it in the timeframes though.

For me- assuming a day off, morning round at 7am-9am tee. Then shoot over to one of the Portland courses before 3pm and take advantage of the "free" play. I normally have things on the weekend in the morning so twilights is what I normally play. After 3pm on this deal works really well for my schedule.

Plus with my wife I can tell her I've already paid all this money, I HAVE to go and play because it'll make each round cheaper. She rolls her eyes and sends me off. Lol

I'm somewhat thankful that my game does not require/warrant playing the nicer courses around. at least my wallet is... good thing is that with better weather even the munis can be pretty decent in the summer. it's winter golf where the spendier places *may* have the advantage. better drainage, etc.

I'm somewhat thankful that my game does not require/warrant playing the nicer courses around. at least my wallet is... good thing is that with better weather even the munis can be pretty decent in the summer. it's winter golf where the spendier places *may* have the advantage. better drainage, etc.

Which i always view as funny because I never thought of Stone Creek as a spends course but just noticed they are up around $70 a round. I will always think of spending $40-45 on the course and, imo, it is the best winter course here with Langdon second.

Which i always view as funny because I never thought of Stone Creek as a spends course but just noticed they are up around $70 a round. I will always think of spending $40-45 on the course and, imo, it is the best winter course here with Langdon second.

but Stone Creek isn't $70 in the winter (thankfully). and I generally don't regard them as a spendy course either...unless it's summer

Agreed on Stone Creek - arguably the best draining public course in the whole area. I think they are upping their rates because the tee sheet is full most weekends.

I checked out the Centennial Card, but the time frames weren't to my liking. They've done similar things in the past, but it's always restricted to later tee times. I hate that...

Agreed on Stone Creek - arguably the best draining public course in the whole area. I think they are upping their rates because the tee sheet is full most weekends.

I checked out the Centennial Card, but the time frames weren't to my liking. They've done similar things in the past, but it's always restricted to later tee times. I hate that...

I almost ponied up the extra $300, but I figure I wouldn't get in enough rounds at $10 or $5 for nine often enough to make it work. I rarely play Stone Creek in the summer as it's not the closest and like you said, the tee sheet is full most weekend. I prefer to play morning to mid morning, but it's typically difficult for me with work and weekend obligations so the Centennial Card times work well for me.

Played Eastmoreland last week...it's fine now. Get out there!

Played Eastmoreland last week...it's fine now. Get out there!

Awesome! Rose Festival week has passed, so we should be getting some extended periods of sunshine (after tomorrow, anyway) :)

Langdon today. The course does not get any better than right now. A couple days with a bit of rain late in the week, and the greens are about perfect. Loving the first and second cut rough! Tough pin placements on several holes. Also had a huge demo day and got to try out a Mizuno JPX 900 driver. I think I finally found a driver to knock my 910D2 out of the bag!

Send me a PM guys, might have a hook up for you on the Mizuno drivers.

Spud, funny you say that about Langdon cause we think the course is pretty rough right now. We are short 2 guys so the super is having to pick and choose his battles. What were some of the tough pins? Generally that means he was getting caught by the golfers. 1st tee time was at 5:07 and we normally start at 5. We had to head out at 4:30 yesterday. I had bunkers and he told me not to rake the sides, 1st time he's ever said that.

Going from memory on the pins:

5 (this green is sneaky hard, even with a benign hole placement)

8 (hole cut on the side of the big ridge)

9 (back pin = par 5, not 4)

12 (see #5)

15 (there's no good place to putt from when the pin is in the back)

Several of the front flags were really close to the front. We all just figured you guys had some US Open mojo going. I did ok for the most part - was heading for a high 70's round, but dropped four shots on the last three holes (none of which I can blame on the grounds crew). Beautiful day, regardless!

Going from memory on the pins:

5 (this green is sneaky hard, even with a benign hole placement)

8 (hole cut on the side of the big ridge)

9 (back pin = par 5, not 4)

12 (see #5)

15 (there's no good place to putt from when the pin is in the back)

Several of the front flags were really close to the front. We all just figured you guys had some US Open mojo going. I did ok for the most part - was heading for a high 70's round, but dropped four shots on the last three holes (none of which I can blame on the grounds crew). Beautiful day, regardless!

I hate that back pin on #9. Try to get back there and stay a bit right, just in case you end up short, and you're in the back bunker.

Don't EVER go for the back pin on 9 :). Play for the 2 little humps around the center. Right now the only way to hold the green on the back is to come in with PW or less and that's not happening.

I played 2 Weds ago and the asst had the toughest pins I've ever seen there. He got caught on 5 and had to slow the golfers down. So a fun little list.

6 - 3 paces off the front and 3 paces in from the right.

7 - back right behind all the water, 5 paces on and 3 paces in.

9 - right between the two tiny humps in the middle.

11 - tucked behind the bunker

13 - seemed simple but just tucked behind the ridge that I hadn't even noticed before

15 - tucked behind the bunker on the right.

17 - WAY back left

18 - center pin but 3 paces from the water

He was cutting pins and rolling the greens that day and couldn't let the golfers catch him

Glad you had fun.

Thinking of making the trek up to play next weekend. Maybe Riverside, Eastmoreland, Reserve, Pumpkin... any status updates?

Reserve is decent. Greens are still a little furry and they don't blow their clip so there is grass clippings EVERYWHERE.

Maybe some of us can meet up at Langdon Saturday morning.

Thinking of making the trek up to play next weekend. Maybe Riverside, Eastmoreland, Reserve, Pumpkin... any status updates?

Reserve is decent. Greens are still a little furry and they don't blow their clip so there is grass clippings EVERYWHERE.

Sounds good. I played there last visit. DeNinny is usually happy to get a game, maybe Spud too if he's available. Shoot me a PM and we'll make a plan.

Sounds good. I played there last visit. DeNinny is usually happy to get a game, maybe Spud too if he's available. Shoot me a PM and we'll make a plan.

Count me in if you need a 4th!

I played South at Reserve a couple of weeks ago. The course was in good shape. Small issue with ranger pushing to get play going faster when it was unnecessary. Not my favorite course by any means.

I played South at Reserve a couple of weeks ago. The course was in good shape. Small issue with ranger pushing to get play going faster when it was unnecessary. Not my favorite course by any means.

It's probably the only "name" public course in the Portland area I haven't played yet. Sometime this summer I'll cross it off of my list. It sounds like I shouldn't have high hopes for it though.