Portland area course conditions

mallrat

Played OGA yesterday and we were about two hours ahead of the green punching machines. Beautiful day, and the course was in very good shape. Many tees have already been punched, and I think the course is closed for the next couple days. Hard to say that the greens needed punching. They rolled very nicely and Q-U-I-C-K. Unfortunately, my usually very reliable driver decided that it was a good day to get drunk and barf all over the course, so scoring was not good. The course slowly gets more difficult as the years go by. I think it's up to a 129 rating now.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Played OGA yesterday and we were about two hours ahead of the green punching machines. Beautiful day, and the course was in very good shape. Many tees have already been punched, and I think the course is closed for the next couple days. Hard to say that the greens needed punching. They rolled very nicely and Q-U-I-C-K. Unfortunately, my usually very reliable driver decided that it was a good day to get drunk and barf all over the course, so scoring was not good. The course slowly gets more difficult as the years go by. I think it's up to a 129 rating now.

I like the way you think. We have a local course that punches every six months on schedule with the other courses, but it has NO thatch. The greens look like a little sprinkle of grass blades on top of mud. I think it's institutional management, punch whenever everyone else punches. No super has ever been fired for punching too much.... yada yada.

Yes, welcome to Portland. I also live in the same area as you. We are very close to Red Tail. A challenging course that is horribly maintained. Because of it's proximity and ease of walking on in the middle of the day, I play it at least once a week. It's to be avoided if you are a good planner and can grab a tee time at any of the other courses mentioned. I would put the Reserve a bit down the list compared to Langdon, OGA, Stone Creek, Quail Valley and Great Blue at Heron Lakes. Several good tracks to chose from that keeps us entertained.

Moved up to Portland a few months ago. I live in Raleigh Hills, near Beaverton, and have been playing The Reserve North the last few weekends. I haven't seen it mentioned much on here but the greens always roll really well (a little speedy) and the course is in good shape. If anyone is looking to play with a 28yo 9-10hc, give me a shout.

• 2 weeks later...

Langdon is aerating today and tomorrow and is the last to do so I believe (long day of work but pretty fun).

Played Royal Oaks last week and I must say it is a fun course. The greens were 2 weeks post aeration so not what they are known for. I play a lot of different courses and truly love links golf but it reminded me how enjoyable a well designed parkland course can be. Didn't shoot great because I had a ton of weird little breaks; in the fairway but the wrong side so tree trouble. Wish the par 3's had a little more variety in length (158, 203, 154, 208 from the blues). I wouldn't hesitate to join if it was convenient for me.

We blew the wad this summer...

Mallrat - any effects of that little tornado today at Langdon?

Not sure. I pulled into work and threw up 4 times, got back in the car and went home. Think the Bar B Q I ate last night didn't agree with me or I have the stomach thing going around.

Worked 6:30 am - 7 pm Monday for aerifying and then 7-4:30 on Tuesday before the rain didn't let us get anything else done.

i’m also coming down with a putter sickness, since putting’s all i can do in the house. looking at custom face balanced blades.

How much are you looking to spend? My current Scotty is the 1st putter I've spent more than $100 on and they all generally worked well and are still in the garage.

I miss the used sale bin at Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith. Always seemed to find 2 or 3 used Scotty's in there that were just beat up but great designs.

Drove up in the squall. Staying on the south side and am shooting up to Tacoma early in the morning for a round then playing back down here at Tualatin on Saturday. Hope the sun comes out, maybe some wind too! Probably going to be a little damp out there

Where in Tacoma?

i’m also coming down with a putter sickness, since putting’s all i can do in the house. looking at custom face balanced blades.

How much are you looking to spend? My current Scotty is the 1st putter I've spent more than $100 on and they all generally worked well and are still in the garage.

I miss the used sale bin at Golf Galaxy and Golfsmith. Always seemed to find 2 or 3 used Scotty's in there that were just beat up but great designs.

not entirely sure yet. i definitely shouldn’t spend the money, but my will is weak and if i find the right looking putter who knows what i’ll do. i really like the toulon i have but i think it may still have a little too much toe hang. been burning a lot of left edges on my practice strip.

i’ve got a nike origin b2-05 that’s a long slant neck and while i don’t particularly care for the slant, i like that it’s only a tiny bit toe down. about the same as the odyssey 3T mid mallet.

Drove up in the squall. Staying on the south side and am shooting up to Tacoma early in the morning for a round then playing back down here at Tualatin on Saturday. Hope the sun comes out, maybe some wind too! Probably going to be a little damp out there

Where in Tacoma?

Chambers. In route now

I usually call it quits in early/mid November when it starts to freeze at night, then start playing again in February. If there's an unusually warm weekend day then I'll golf, but there'll only be a weekend or two of that.

Does anyone have recommendations for a round this Sunday? I figure I might as well play somewhere different one last time before winter hits. I've played Langdon, all the muni's in Portland, Stone Creek, Heron, Wildwood, and Chehalem Glenn. Wouldn't mind driving an hour outside of town either.

I usually call it quits in early/mid November when it starts to freeze at night, then start playing again in February. If there's an unusually warm weekend day then I'll golf, but there'll only be a weekend or two of that.

Does anyone have recommendations for a round this Sunday? I figure I might as well play somewhere different one last time before winter hits. I've played Langdon, all the muni's in Portland, Stone Creek, Heron, Wildwood, and Chehalem Glenn. Wouldn't mind driving an hour outside of town either.

I like Quail Valley a lot. There's also both Reserve courses and Pumpkin Ridge.

Play those last three before the serious rains begin...

I've always wondered about Tri-mountain in ridgefield. Never have played it but, I hear it drains really well and is a decent track. A little out of town - but no further than quail/pumpkin/reserve if you're on the East side.

Play well, I'm interested in what you think of Chambers.

Love it! Beautiful day out there. I'm not a huge RTJ Jr. fan, but the piece of land is stunning. The contours are fantastic. He tricked the fairways and greens up a little more than necessary, as is his style. The greens clearly have their issues, but I didn't feel they rolled that poorly. The rain yesterday made them very receptive today and there was very little wind.

Overall I was thoroughly impressed. Awesome atmosphere and pretty well executed overall IMO.

Can't believe the pros were so whiny, what a bunch of entitled brats. Perhaps with the hubub of the open and the pressure to perform they didn't get the true experience?

I love Chambers but I don't need a course to have every blade of grass in prefect condition for me to enjoy it. I think it would have gotten a totally different reaction had they just converted the greens to Poa and managed it. As most of us up here know, Poa greens when done right can play perfectly fine.

I like Quail Valley a lot. There's also both Reserve courses and Pumpkin Ridge.

Play those last three before the serious rains begin...

I've always wondered about Tri-mountain in ridgefield. Never have played it but, I hear it drains really well and is a decent track. A little out of town - but no further than quail/pumpkin/reserve if you're on the East side.

I used to live about a 10 minute drive from Tri-Mountain. Love it! It doesn't get the love it deserves, I think, because it's a square contained piece of land and doesn't look like much when you drive by. The course is well laid out and is plenty long from the tips. The greens are good and they've improved the drainage quite a bit, so it does play pretty well in the rain. The 3rd hole is a tough par 4. The seventh is a good chance at birdie on a fairly reachable par 5. The 9th gives you another chance to go for it. The 15th is a short-ish par 3, but the afternoon winds can really blow and makes it tough to hit the green without starting it out over the water. The 16th is a beast of a par 4, PAR is a good score here. The 17th is one of my favorite holes, a decent length par 3 with good slopes on the green you can use to get it close to certain pins. The 18th is a long playing par 5, it takes two great shots to get the on two.

On a clear day the view on the 16th from the island tee box is stunning. That's why they call it Tri-Mountain. You can see Mt Hood, Mt Rainer, and Mt St Helens.

I love Chambers but I don't need a course to have every blade of grass in prefect condition for me to enjoy it. I think it would have gotten a totally different reaction had they just converted the greens to Poa and managed it. As most of us up here know, Poa greens when done right can play perfectly fine.

I loved Chambers, played it earlier this summer. The course is stunning and I can't wait to play it again.

We blew the wad this summer...

Mallrat - any effects of that little tornado today at Langdon?

Not sure. I pulled into work and threw up 4 times, got back in the car and went home. Think the Bar B Q I ate last night didn't agree with me or I have the stomach thing going around.

Worked 6:30 am - 7 pm Monday for aerifying and then 7-4:30 on Tuesday before the rain didn't let us get anything else done.

Hope you're feeling better.

Caddie at CB was from Woodburn, he mentioned the tornado, I didn't hear about it but seems about the time we were driving through there. Front boundary was pretty strong.

Good kid, named AJ. Guess he's a good stick. Asked him if he could poke it out there, his answer, oh yeah. Haha. Almost asked him if he was on GolfWRX.

People wonder why this forum is mostly bombers? Shafts. As soon as you Google a shaft WRX comes up.

Ws6, I dealt with the tight lies much better than that day at Old Mac. Actually was super casual like a practice round not keeping score and shot an 86 with two birdies. Had a ton on HORRIBLE bounces, but just had to laugh. Walked with 11 clubs no rain gear, a couple of layers, winter hat when we teed off. Used the 5 hybrid around the green a lot!