2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Portland area course conditions

mallrat

hmm. you guys got me seriously questioning my ability to discern good decent from bad! lol.

fact is my buddy and I play king city a lot because we can always walk on and it's short and easy. in the winter it's always a mud pit, but I guess retail is always in about the same condition as it, just a longer course with more variety in holes. thing is king city is about 20 bucks cheaper if you play 18 than RT. So what's good out on the west side that's not too pricey? how do y'all feel about meriwether?

Redtail is the only close-in full length public course in the west side suburbs and they know it. I'm not sure what the deal is, but someone either really messed up when they designed it (drainage), or they just don't care about maintaining it well. It doesn't help that everything in that area has clay based soil either :/I've never played Meriwether, but want to get out there in the summer (I assume it's a mud pit right now too). Has anyone played Quail Valley lately?

Quail is my home course and I played it on the 13th. There are definitely areas on that course that struggle with drainage (the first fairway is often the worst spot on the course), but it was surprisingly playable. Any time I can play it at this time of year and not lose a ball is a good sign. It's no Stone Creek, which is well known as the best winter course in the area.

Since the 13th we've gotten quite a bit of rain (especially this week, including today), so I'm guessing it's pretty soggy right now.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

for a full course I can't think of many I'd play in the winter on the west side - although I suppose Langdon is west of the willamette. I stick to rock bottom $ golf courses or Langdon and stone creek in the winter. Any course besides those two, that I've played, are all pretty muddy when the rains come, so it's a money decision then.

Redtail and east Moreland for sure, imo, are July/August only courses.

I'd argue Langdon for best winter golf. But yes, stone creek is very good. And may be better when drenched - I don't think I can really tell.

+1 on all the above. There just isn't a public course on the west side that compares to Langdon and Stone Creek for play-ability in the winter months. And I'd probably split my time between the two evenly if SC weren't 5/6 of a good layout...

I like Quail Valley a lot, especially in the late summer when the fairways bake out a little, and the ball runs forever. It's a long drive from the east side, though.

I was just talking with another guy yesterday during the round about Redtail. He's yet another player who lives close to that course and doesn't play there anymore.

"take that, you miserable little white swine!"

Played Langdon yesterday with PJ Koenig on his RGV Tour. Great guy.

Maybe i’m biased but that may have been the best winter conditions I have ever played in Oregon. Had 1 ball 1/2 plug more just stuck in it’s landing spot on 9 fairway. Other than that, wow. Greens were cut in the morning and rolling very well.

Something I found out this week is the course takes about 4-6 hours to dry out. It gets water logged pretty quick but all the drainage over the years makes a HUGE difference. We were supposed to get 18 done this year but it might be too late because it will be almost a year for the seed to grow in fully (almost a full mile of drainage)

1 more thing, if this weather keeps up we will most likely be aerifying in early/mid Feb.

Played Stone Creek yesterday and was generally disappointed with the condition of the course. It clearly has been hammered with play this winter, and the fairways and especially tee boxes are showing it. Greens were not running very true. Most bunkers were decent, a few had little or no sand in the bottoms. There were more sloppy/waterlogged spots than I think I have ever seen before. Upper fairway on 9 was particularly bad. They are due for some major drainage work on many holes.

And my hate/despise affair with the design on holes 12, 13 and 15 continues...

I played 9 yesterday morning at Trysting Tree. The course was pretty good considering its location (adjacent to the Willamette River).

How was the new layout? They were scheduled to have the renovation complete in the summer, but the website says that they are playing the new layout now.

I think the new layout is an improvement. I thought the old 8 and 9 were weak. Now 8 (new 6) is a 200 yard par 3, and the tee on 9 is up and it is a mostly straight away par 4.

The 2 new holes on the back are good. I like that the old 15 is now a par 4 (new 8). I like not having back to back par 5s.

A Gazette Times article says that the new layout is longer from the tips (~7400yds), but also a little shorter from the forward tees. It sounds like they want this course to be used for more high level tournaments, and that was the main driver for the renovation. The trees in play on original #8 and #9 made it a little gimmicky, so I imagine those were first on the chopping block to make it a more "championship" course. I'm excited to play it, and weather looks good this weekend so might try it out Saturday.

Playing Witch Hollow today. I have no idea how the conditions will be. I know Ghost is notoriously soft this time of year. If Witch has the same issue I hope the dry week helped.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

barely got in our full 18 at langdon, teeing at 130. had to wait on most tee boxes for the groups ahead. first time i’ve played that course. pretty challenging but in incredible shape. I think our group had one plug all day and it was in the rough off to the back side of 14.

I about lost my s*** on #6, the short par 3 with the elevated green. was pin high but left, then hit 4 or 5 shots either short of the green and back down or long and down the other side before I picked up. next time I play i’m going to hit it about 85 yards to the front and putt up the hill. no messing around w left and right.

Also played Langdon today and the course is in immaculate shape. Expected cold and maybe rain, but it was a very nice weather day.

We've had a run of dry weather, so the fairways and even the rough was dry and playable. Greens had some very slight bumpy spots, but still really good for February. They have done some really good work on the bunkers and have been able to get a mower on the rough.

Great day and decent round!

And short and right is the place to miss #6, but you pretty much have to try to do that. It's a challenging hole...

Also played Langdon today and the course is in immaculate shape. Expected cold and maybe rain, but it was a very nice weather day.

We've had a run of dry weather, so the fairways and even the rough was dry and playable. Greens had some very slight bumpy spots, but still really good for February. They have done some really good work on the bunkers and have been able to get a mower on the rough.

And short and right is the place to miss #6, but you pretty much have to try to do that. It's a challenging hole...

If I miss on #6 I always putt up with my hybrid.

I’ve been working hard on those bunkers, thanks :). Had bunker duty 3 days last week and took an hour or 2 longer than normal trying to get the sand fluffy again.

I actually don’t think the greens are that great right now but it’s because we top dressed on Thurs and we haven’t had any rain to work the sand in. We actually had to turn on the sprinklers on Saturday.

Just a heads up we are going to punch in a week or 2. We punched the tee boxes today and are doing drainage next week (18 is the last hole that needs it, putting in almost a mile of drainage)

barely got in our full 18 at langdon, teeing at 130. had to wait on most tee boxes for the groups ahead. first time i've played that course. pretty challenging but in incredible shape. I think our group had one plug all day and it was in the rough off to the back side of 14.

I about lost my s*** on #6, the short par 3 with the elevated green. was pin high but left, then hit 4 or 5 shots either short of the green and back down or long and down the other side before I picked up. next time I play i'm going to hit it about 85 yards to the front and putt up the hill. no messing around w left and right.

spud were you guys holding ruffellprefley up? lol I kid I kid. wish I had played this weekend. it was beautiful!

barely got in our full 18 at langdon, teeing at 130. had to wait on most tee boxes for the groups ahead. first time i’ve played that course. pretty challenging but in incredible shape. I think our group had one plug all day and it was in the rough off to the back side of 14.

I about lost my s*** on #6, the short par 3 with the elevated green. was pin high but left, then hit 4 or 5 shots either short of the green and back down or long and down the other side before I picked up. next time I play i’m going to hit it about 85 yards to the front and putt up the hill. no messing around w left and right.

It’s a course that it really helps to learn. Let me know and i’ll join you down there. Play has been slow today because it has been mostly the senior men’s club walking. Today was actually 90* rule for carts.

barely got in our full 18 at langdon, teeing at 130. had to wait on most tee boxes for the groups ahead. first time i've played that course. pretty challenging but in incredible shape. I think our group had one plug all day and it was in the rough off to the back side of 14.

I about lost my s*** on #6, the short par 3 with the elevated green. was pin high but left, then hit 4 or 5 shots either short of the green and back down or long and down the other side before I picked up. next time I play i'm going to hit it about 85 yards to the front and putt up the hill. no messing around w left and right.

spud were you guys holding ruffellprefley up? lol I kid I kid. wish I had played this weekend. it was beautiful!

We started at 10:45 or so and thought we might be in for a long one, but made the turn right at 2 hours and finished just a shade over 4 hours. It was a good day out there. WishIPlayedMore had a couple nice birdies, including a chip-in on #2.

If I miss on #6 I always putt up with my hybrid.

I've been working hard on those bunkers, thanks :). Had bunker duty 3 days last week and took an hour or 2 longer than normal trying to get the sand fluffy again.

I actually don't think the greens are that great right now but it's because we top dressed on Thurs and we haven't had any rain to work the sand in. We actually had to turn on the sprinklers on Saturday.

Just a heads up we are going to punch in a week or 2. We punched the tee boxes today and are doing drainage next week (18 is the last hole that needs it, putting in almost a mile of drainage)

We all noticed the bunker work. Well done!

Good timing on the aeration, as we'll be in Bandon 25-28th

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know what kind of condition OGA course in Woodburn is like? I'm planning to take a drive over the mountains to play it this weekend but want to be sure it's in at least okay condition before I do.

have your canoe ready

Haha, good to know. I called the course to ask about conditions and they gave me some non-committal response like "we haven't had any complaints about plugging". I figured they were minimizing the issue.

Maybe I'll just stay east of the Cascades and hope the snow doesn't fly in Prineville.

Anyone know what kind of condition OGA course in Woodburn is like? I'm planning to take a drive over the mountains to play it this weekend but want to be sure it's in at least okay condition before I do.

have your canoe ready

Haha, good to know. I called the course to ask about conditions and they gave me some non-committal response like "we haven't had any complaints about plugging". I figured they were minimizing the issue.

Maybe I'll just stay east of the Cascades and hope the snow doesn't fly in Prineville.

If you are making the drive head up 20 more minutes and play Langdon, stay somewhere over night and play Stone Creek before heading home.

Played Stone Creek Tuesday the 28th and Pumpkin Ridge ( Ghost) Monday the 27th. Stone is in overall better condition but the greens and fairways at Ghost are in wonderful shape, albeit the rough is long and swampy... No idea why they leave their rough so long there. I highly recommend Stone right now, the greens where fast and even high shots in the rough bounced. It was. sunny cool day Tuesday and the three of us were the only people playing save for a twosome teeing off as we came down 9...totally deserted...it was great

Ping G410 10*  Fujikuri 40g shaft
TM  15* & 19* fairway

TM 790  6-PW

Cleveland 52,56,60  wedges
1990's 2ball

Played Stone Creek Tuesday the 28th and Pumpkin Ridge ( Ghost) Monday the 27th. Stone is in overall better condition but the greens and fairways at Ghost are in wonderful shape, albeit the rough is long and swampy... No idea why they leave their rough so long there. I highly recommend Stone right now, the greens where fast and even high shots in the rough bounced. It was. sunny cool day Tuesday and the three of us were the only people playing save for a twosome teeing off as we came down 9...totally deserted...it was great

You already answered your question. The rough is so swampy they can’t get the heavy rough mowers in there. They will almost sink and just tear up the course.

Played Langdon Saturday in amazing weather. The fairways are in tremendous condition. The tee boxes had been sanded recently. And the greens were quite bumpy . . . rolling much poorer than my last couple of rounds there this winter.

The biggest issue was the pace of play. We teed off 10 minutes after our scheduled time and were looking at a 5 hour round before we bailed after 15. We were running out of daylight and wouldn't had enough to see a thing on 17 or 18. Frustrating and not the typical Langdon experience.

played rose city and heron lakes greenback this weekend. overall pleasantly surprised at how the courses played. greens were both slow compared to what I'm used to at those courses. Greenback was a bit more soggy and I had a few drives plug - but these were just off the fairway. both have very wet areas - but also the same areas that seem to never dry out.

Seems like many had the itch to get out on a drier day - pace was slower than I was expecting.