2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

I too managed to get out for a mid afternoon round as I only had a 1/2 day of 'professional development'. Highlights of the round. A 'ten-some' (you read that right) screaming and yelling like drunking idiots after every shot, getting stuck behind a five-some of seniors that appeared to be engaged in a money match who had fallen behind the five-some in front by two holes, and following a two-some that featured a club thrower that had no business throwing clubs. It was cold, windy and wet. Needless to say, the round was a test of my mental fortitude. I played a two ball scramble to stay sane. The last few holes I lay on the ground and stared at the grey sky for ten minutes at a time as the round crawled to conclusion. Could be worse.

Sounds like the round from hell!! You have more patience than I PD. Would have been out of there. This is something I've been noticing more of these days, Five and six people in a group (thankfully, no ten-some.....yet). And apparently, acceptable. In that no one of an official nature is breaking them up. Seem to see more of it than I ever have. A bud thinks its OK to play in a larger group at times. I somewhat chastise him for this thinking. Refuse to participate. Once left the course without playing because it was setting up as a six-some. I was labeled a "grump". Don't get it.

I play public courses exclusively. Are they so desperate for the $ that they let any grouping play, regardless of what it does to POP? There once was a time when a large group would immediately be broken up by marshals. Now days, I don't even see marshals out except on the weekends, when I rarely play other than Sunday afternoons with the Mrs. Is this a trend being observed elsewhere?

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pigs what course is that? I'm sure you've said and I missed it but frankly if we're being honest I'm too lazy to track al the way through. Looks awesome.

The course is Granite Springs GC, Prospect NS. - http://www.granitespringsgolf.com/

A small course at only 6401 from the Tips but hard on a day when youre not swinging well. I think the rating/slope is 90/144

Here's a hole by hole walk through... http://www.granitespringsgolf.com/course/

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Pigs what course is that? I'm sure you've said and I missed it but frankly if we're being honest I'm too lazy to track al the way through. Looks awesome.

The course is Granite Springs GC, Prospect NS. - http://www.granitespringsgolf.com/

A small course at only 6401 from the Tips but hard on a day when youre not swinging well. I think the rating/slope is 90/144

Looks like a beautiful course. Tree lined. Never heard a rating at 90, just sayin.' Maybe confused on the exchange :)

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

Here are the pics of Hole 10 that PD requested, sorry they are not better quality but I was trying to keep up with the to fella's in the cart that were waaaay ahead of me lol. You can see them in pics 2 and 3 :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Here's a hole by hole walk through... http://www.granitesp...olf.com/course/

That's a beauty of a course Pigs. Very scenic, lots of rock outcroppings to send your ball careening into the netherlands. I'd play that course any day, compared to some of the so called modern, landing zone type courses. But.....a small course at 6401? LOL. That's a long course in my book, or at least as long as I choose to play these days. Wears me out always having 200 yard second shots.

Very similar in style and look to one of my favorite courses in the state. Just to bad its way up in the UP, near Marquette. So a long ways to travel. Lots of rocks and pine woods with great views overlooking Lake Superior. July and August are the two months one can play it with a no snow guarantee:

http://www.marquettegolfclub.com/greywalls-course-details.html

Here's a hole by hole walk through... http://www.granitesp...olf.com/course/

That's a beauty of a course Pigs. Very scenic, lots of rock outcroppings to send your ball careening into the netherlands. I'd play that course any day, compared to some of the so called modern, landing zone type courses. But.....a small course at 6401? LOL. That's a long course in my book, or at least as long as I choose to play these days. Wears me out always having 200 yard second shots.

Very similar in style and look to one of my favorite courses in the state. Just to bad its way up in the UP, near Marquette. So a long ways to travel. Lots of rocks and pine woods with great views overlooking Lake Superior. July and August are the two months one can play it with a no snow guarantee:

http://www.marquettegolfclub.com/greywalls-course-details.html

I always thought 6400/6500 was my limit too but on a good driver hit my second shots are short irons to wedges. But I guess that's the way it is supposed to be isn't it?? Mid/long irons in of a not so good tee shot. So yeah, I guess it's a good size isn't it :)

I'm too used to seeing 7200y on tv lol

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

LOL. 400+ yard par 4's are a good drive, a good 4W, a good SW and maybe a one putt. At best. Usually, rarely works out that way. Would take me two days to play a course at 7200+ yards.

I hear you there for sure!! 7200y is a Looong course. I remember playing a 7800y course on the simulator they had as a tournament course 2 winters ago. I was hitting Driver, Fw wood, mid/short iron on most of the par 4's lol. Much too long for this cat, I actually don't think we even have a 7000y course around here, I think 6800 is about as big as it gets around these parts. :)

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Back at it.

No one out here as its cold, windy and wet.

Friggin paradise.

Even if I'm a little sideways ; )

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Back at it.

No one out here as its cold, windy and wet.

Friggin paradise.

Even if I'm a little sideways ; )

Hit'em Well PD!!! I love playing golf alone, so peaceful and quiet out there!!

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

Making the turn and I'm the only car here. My wife told me to sleep in and I thought the course would be busy with regulars. Don't know what they're missing.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

You crazy PD. The thermo currently reads 32* (0* C) and it's not that far away from where you're located. At least the sun is out.

Perfect day to game the blades. Eh? Play as well as possible, given the conditions.

Finished in 2 1/2 hours. A group of four twenty-somethings was teeing off at the first when I was walking off the 18th. Two of them were in short sleeve shirts and I was walking by them with a balaclava and three layers on. The car read 4* when I left, but with the 25+ km/h winds it felt much colder.

I only brought a VIP 9 iron and carried my 560s. I was looking for the vibration dampening of graphite shafts. I did hit the 9 iron a handful of times and it didn't feel bad in the colder weather. I didn't hit a toe shot so there wasn't any 'teeth chattering' shots.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

As to the 'hardcore' comments. After being cooped up for the winter months there isn't much that would keep me at home. If the course operators let me tee up a ball then I'm all in. I'm sure they think I'm crazy and they might be a little right.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Have been in the hospital with bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics doing nothing so far, coughing my brains out (well, I think they're gone).. Then had to reformat my computer. Also may miss the first night of my golf league on Tuesday due to feeling so bad. Other than that, things are just peachy. I really hope none of you get this, it's really going around in this area...

Have been in the hospital with bacterial bronchitis, antibiotics doing nothing so far, coughing my brains out (well, I think they're gone).. Then had to reformat my computer. Also may miss the first night of my golf league on Tuesday due to feeling so bad. Other than that, things are just peachy. I really hope none of you get this, it's really going around in this area...

Sorry to hear that, Sixty. Take care of yourself, my friend. The course will be there when you get better.

All the best for a speedy recovery Sixty. Have had a virus myself this week and felt like gash, though nothing like bronchitis. Get well soon.

Went to a demo day today. They actually had some lefty stuff. The Nike rep worked with me a bunch getting the Vapor driver to feel right. Finally got it tuned in with a 70 gram Diamana shaft in X-stiff. Lol. I handed it back to the guy and pointed out that his driver now has some ghost prints from the ball in the center of the face. I winked and smiled. Whoever had been hitting it left quite a few marks on the heel. And I'm not talking slightly off center.

I know.....I'm an arse. Hey, I smiled when I said it. :D

The club that really surprised me was the Callaway Apex pro forged iron. They had a lefty 7i w/project x 6.0. It felt NICE!!! It was smaller than I thought it would be and little offset. I went and got my MP68 7i and compared them. At address you couldn't tell them apart.

Had the Callaway rep take the plastic off the 58* wedge. I hit a bunch of balls with that including about 5 out of divots. Hit them well. I handed it back to him full of dirt and told him "nice wedge. I can tell a good wedge when I can dig the ball out of divots" :D Told him I'd clean it up but he said he'd get it.

The guy next to me ask me what loft I had. I had just hit an open face floater. He told me I hit it really high. I explained that I opened the face and did it on purpose. LMAO! It was about 80 ft in the air and went about 30 yards.

Had some compliments on my swing from the gallery. When I noticed people watching, I'd move on. Finally went down to the end of the range when I got the wedge.

The Cobra LTD driver really surprised me. Was hitting nice little cuts with it. Nice trajectory. I think it had an Ozik shaft but I didn't pay attention which one. Loving my 815 DBD to even think about a driver.

I seen some plaid shorts and white belts. I had on a cheap tshirt, ratty cargo shorts and my mainstay....blue Mizuno ballcap. Lol. Let my ballflight make up for attire. LMAO!!

That's all I got.

Oh yeah, I bought the Drive4Dough video the other day. I don't want to sound like the guys that are willing to "toss Monte's salad" but I'm only an hour into the video (like 4hrs long) and it's good. Simple with detail and a lot of info. It was done really well.

Okay, that's all I got.

Alright you bladeaholics. Found these today at my local pro shop (Salvation Army). Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (3 - PW), TT Dynamic (S). Near as I can determine, '81 - '83 version. Played very little, great shape. Had to pay a premium because it wasn't senior discount day. Was kinda hope'in they would have been a partial so I wouldn't have been obligated to buy them.

No idea how they will play, look rather sinister. Have a feeling these aren't for sissy's. But the Physics sez.......Buttah!

Also, a DeChambeau chapeau.

MC - Nice write up from the demo day. I laughed at some of that stuff. Sounds like you had some groupies following you too, which is always good for the ego. Did you splash out on anything? There's one near me in a few weeks, which I'm tempted to go to. I've never actually been to one, so it would be a first.

Fella - What a great find. Those are some classics and they look to be in great shape. 'Sinister' is a very appropriate description. I suspect there's going to be no margin for error with those, but whatever happens, you are a real man for for having them. I imagine you're the sort of guy that still shaves with a cut throat razor (none of this Gillette triple blade extra protection crap) and who's idea of a pre round warm up is smoking a couple of Marlboro reds, sans filter.

Alright you bladeaholics. Found these today at my local pro shop (Salvation Army). Dunlop Maxfli Australian Blades (3 - PW), TT Dynamic (S). Near as I can determine, '81 - '83 version. Played very little, great shape. Had to pay a premium because it wasn't senior discount day. Was kinda hope'in they would have been a partial so I wouldn't have been obligated to buy them.

No idea how they will play, look rather sinister. Have a feeling these aren't for sissy's. But the Physics sez.......Buttah!

Also, a DeChambeau chapeau.

I have heard those are very sought after haha. Especially in that kind of shape. Good find

Forever Changing at this point.......

MC,

A few confessions . . .

1) I've never been to a demo day (shocking considering how many clubs I own and covet)

2) I too love the feel (and appearance) of the Apex irons (pro and non-pro)

3) I've never watched a golf instructional video in entirety.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Fella,

There was a set of Australia Blades (more modern) at a local golf shop I frequent. They were beauties, that I should have traded something for, and had them sent to Continental for refinishing. The thought didn't cross my mind in those (pre-blade experimentation) days.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Sorry to read that you are 'under the weather' 60. Having battled illnesses off and on this year I can truly empathize. I hope the sun shines upon you my friend. Thoughts and prayers. I'm certain your lovely wife is doing everything in her power to make you feel better.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Wolf, I was having a good ball striking day. One those can't miss days that come along once in a while. Didn't hit any "must haves" though, the Apex Pros piqued my interest.

If you guys get to go to a demo day, and especially since you're righties, I would go. The company reps are more than willing to let you hit anything They'll have different driver shafts and will swap them out to let you try whatever. I hit 3 or 4 different shafts in the Nike Vapor.

This was put on by Scheels, which is a Sporting Goods store. We use to have on put on by a local golf shop but last year the shop closed. They had more companies represented. This year it was TMAG, Callaway, Cleveland, Nike, Cobra and Tour Exotics had a few clubs. Callaway must've had 30 shafts. Didn't look too much at the TMAG stuff but it looked like they had a lot of shafts. I did hit the M2 3W. It was okay. The Callaway XR16 3w was okay too. Wanted to hit the 816 3w but no dice in lefty.

Fella, nice looking blades. Sinister is the right word for those, my friend.

I've never heard of bacterial bronchitis. Sounds awful. I guess that's one

case where antibiotics will actually work. Hope you're feeling better soon.

Your course is waiting................ :)