2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoa MJ, just realized I've been slouching my shoulders! The shoulder balls rolled down and in. My miss has been typically a push so far this season. Thought the problem was residing in my take take away, to strong of an arc, not getting the face back to square. Just practiced this on the basement putting carpet and seemingly the 10' putts were running truer. Need to keep this in mind moving forward. Kept the shoulders square. Thanks for the tips.

I've been taking a more upright putting posture lately. Allow the shoulders and arms to rotate more freely. Naturally. Think I've been subconsciously slouching the shoulders a bit to compensate for the putter being a bit to short. The head is now 3/4" (est.) higher than before with squared shoulders. Think I'll extend it out an 1" with the new grip and see how it goes. Got something to work with here.

So many things with the golf swing/stroke involve rhythm. So any methods that assist the internal metronome are positives. When things go awry, I start counting (1,2,3) during my swing to reestablish my swing tempo. Same principal as "tick, tock" for pace.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

Don't fret it, my friend. You've got a good swing. Long winters in your area of the world. It just takes a few rounds once you get outside to get your rhythm. I took a 9 on the first hole today. A par 5. Lol. Birdied the 3rd hole. Crazy game.

You'll be fine. You'll figure it out.

Whoa MJ, just realized I've been slouching my shoulders! The shoulder balls rolled down and in. My miss has been typically a push so far this season. Thought the problem was residing in my take take away, to strong of an arc, not getting the face back to square. Just practiced this on the basement putting carpet and seemingly the 10' putts were running truer. Need to keep this in mind moving forward. Kept the shoulders square. Thanks for the tips.

I've been taking a more upright putting posture lately. Allow the shoulders and arms to rotate more freely. Naturally. Think I've been subconsciously slouching the shoulders a bit to compensate for the putter being a bit to short. The head is now 3/4" (est.) higher than before with squared shoulders. Think I'll extend it out an 1" with the new grip and see how it goes. Got something to work with here.

So many things with the golf swing/stroke involve rhythm. So any methods that assist the internal metronome are positives. When things go awry, I start counting (1,2,3) during my swing to reestablish my swing tempo. Same principal as "tick, tock" for pace.

So true about rhythm, Fella. From driving all the way down to putting. When things go bad for me, I rush my transition. Driving, irons, putting...doesn't matter. I do the count thing. Sometimes it's 1-2. Other times it's 1-2-3. Sets my rhythm.

Been in lurk mode the past week or so....here's my feeble attempt to address everyone in a post LOL

MDg, great to hear your hitting balls and will be playing again this year!! Also glad to hear the house issues are resolved and your Precious is taken care of.

Sixty, get well soon!! Bronchitis is no joke.

Thanks Ham, it just won't go away, since it turned into bacterial bronchitis I figured the antibiotics would help. I missed another day of work today. Coughing like mad, losing sleep, and have a terrible headache from that. Worst part is looks like I'm gonna miss the first night of golf league tomorrow night. On the lighter side that reminds me of the 'We're also out of coffee' scene from Airplane 2... :)

I'm hanging out with my Uncle from Hawaii, that's why I've been in lurk mode.

Hi Papa, Chief, Ninja, Rad, Reasy, Bick, Master Dan, Gaucho, Q, Vater, and Crab Diddy

I really hope I didn't forget anyone, sorry if I did!

Edit 4/26/2016, Scotee!!!!!!!!!!!! Heard moving sucks lol, hopefully that's all settled down now! :D

Hammy... No love for lil ol' Wolfie? :cry:

MC, happy birthday Sir! I home you had a spiffing day. I hear many people play their best golf after 50, so the future is bright.

Sixty, it has been going around here, too.

I felt like my allergies were particularly bad, and then I started getting a sinus infection. I powered through about 10 days, but as it started to creep downwards I went and got a round of antibiotics. First time in about 5 years. I felt like if it got into my lungs it would be weeks.

I was joking with the doc, because I have a couple of friends that are physicians, how they hate it when we request a certain treatment. He replied, "okay, what do you want?"

"Give me the Z pack, doc."

"Really?"

Yes. It works for me. A week later I was good as new. He tried to play the whole viral card and how it would subside in a month. My co-pay is outrageous, so basically I came back with the fact that I knew it would subside in a month, but that wasn't what I was paying him for. If I went down to the corner to score some drugs the dealer isn't going to tell me about natural highs. Just give me the drugs.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing.....

Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...

I just got back from a vacation and sucked in epic proportions. I played Emerald Valley and Sandpines and shot 92 and 93. It was all short game issues. Well that and possibly chemical alteration of the brain. I want to hate this game but it was an awesome time with my wife so I'm conflicted.

I think that love/hate thing is golf all over. I've never played a sport which can deliver such highs and lows. Unfortunately those things do not come in equal measure, as in my case the lows far outweigh the highs, but of course I still love it.

I went for my first range session yesterday and hit the ball like utter shat. The 'swing progress' I thought I'd made over the winter seemed to go out the window and the old habits crept in. Mrs Wolf asked me how I'd got on and I replied "It was nice to be outside in the sunshine" which is Wolf Code for, "I was terrible and don't want to talk about it".

More disturbingly I keep developing a pain in my left wrist after golfing. I'm convinced it has something to do with the way I am releasing the club (i.e. incorrectly). It usually goes away, but comes back when I play. I'm seriously going to have to address that.

Been in lurk mode the past week or so....here's my feeble attempt to address everyone in a post LOL

MDg, great to hear your hitting balls and will be playing again this year!! Also glad to hear the house issues are resolved and your Precious is taken care of.

Thanks Ham, it just won't go away, since it turned into bacterial bronchitis I figured the antibiotics would help. I missed another day of work today. Coughing like mad, losing sleep, and have a terrible headache from that. Worst part is looks like I'm gonna miss the first night of golf league tomorrow night. On the lighter side that reminds me of the 'We're also out of coffee' scene from Airplane 2... :)

Sixty, don't laugh, but if you're taking heavy duty antibiotics, you might want to consider supplementing with a good quality probiotic. Unfortunately antibiotics, though very helpful, do not do good things for your stomach and general intestinal health. Having a healthy gut biome is essential for an overall healthy immune system (amongst other things). Just a thought.

This is a good one:

http://www.amazon.co...s/dp/B004SH1PAU

Here's some further reading:

http://www.marksdail...-immune-system/

Hi Papa, Chief, Ninja, Rad, Reasy, Bick, Master Dan, Gaucho, Q, Vater, and Crab Diddy

Edit 4/26/2016, Scotee!!!!!!!!!!!! Heard moving sucks lol, hopefully that's all settled down now! :D

MC, happy birthday Sir! I home you had a spiffing day. I hear many people play their best golf after 50, so the future is bright.

AHHHH, you and Scotee LOL!!! Of course I have much love for the Wolfskee! :) I'm getting older (lame excuse haha), and I've been distracted lately :deadhorse:

Hope football practice went well for the Wolf Pup, I was a defender my whole life, sweeper to be more specific.

Speaking of highs and lows in golf. I always find it funny that usually when the round is going terribly for you or someone else, at some point there will be the one shot that keeps you coming back. For instance, my guitarist, I took him out for his first round of golf (as an adult) he was struggling all day (obviously) and looked disinterested, then it happened. 13th hole, 70 footer, right in the center LOL. The look on his face when it went in, I knew he was hooked! That was 7 years ago, he just won the "b"flight in a couple tournaments in 2015, fully addicted :taunt:

After playing tour balls for several years I played the SuperSoft the past

few years. Great ball IMO and cheap. Last time home I bought 6 dz

ChromeSofts to try out so I guess I'll be playing those for awhile haha.

Geez, I still have a bunch of B330RXS left too though I think that ball

was better before they went to the dimple in dimple cover in 2012.

Titleist finally came out with a ball to compete with the SuperSoft. I

forget the name of it but I want to try it too.

I really like the softer balls these days cause I can compress them

better with an iron and they will spin just fine if you compress them.

To try out? That sounds more like a permanent stash. Have pretty much switched to soft compression balls as well. Primarily Duos. Picked up a doz. Duo Spins to try out this spring. Can't really notice any significant difference between these and the standard version. Can't see where they spin any more or less. So probably won't me paying the $9.00 premium moving forward. The Tiltleist ball is the NXT Tour S, but at $45 per, doubt I'll be buying any.

Brother works at GC in NM (starter, marshall, etc.). Last year, he supplied me with about 4 doz. found Pro V1X balls. Good ball, but probably not entirely suitable for my game and SS. This will probably be a lifetime supply. I'm of the belief that pro V's are a tad over hyped. There are other balls that are every bit as good if not superior to them. I'm not one for paying the $$ for premium balls. With that said, a real sleeper premium ball IMO is the Wilson FG Tours. Played a sleeve of those last year and really liked how they performed. Felt they were a little longer than the Pro V's and every bit as good (maybe even better) around the greens. However, I have so many balls around now, its hard to justify purchasing more.

In theory, makes sense to find a suitable ball and play that one exclusively. Thus gauging performance. Reality is, particularly if not playing so hot, hit whatever comes out of the front line ball pocket.

I tend to agree with the Pro V's being over-priced. They're a great ball, but certainly not worth it new, to me anyway. I am partial to mint lake balls though, which are much better value. I'm happy to buy last year's model as someone at my level is really not going to see the differences from one model to the next.

The Srixon Z-Star tends to be my ball of choice. It's a solid all round performer and very durable. I've dabbled with a lot of different models over the years though and will often try Bridgestones. I like the B330RX, though don't have the game or SS for the B330S so tend to shy away from them. Bridgestone have remodeled the B330 series this year and with some pretty cool looking technology. I might splash out on a new box just to test them out.

AHHHH, you and Scotee LOL!!! Of course I have much love for the Wolfskee! :) I'm getting older (lame excuse haha), and I've been distracted lately :deadhorse:

Hope football practice went well for the Wolf Pup, I was a defender my whole life, sweeper to be more specific.

Ha ha. No worries brosef! I was just yanking your chain.

Tonight was my son's first football "match" of the season. He's four, so the standard wasn't great, but he enjoyed it which is the main thing. It's so funny watching football at that age. All the kids chase the ball like moths to a flame. It's actually more like watching rugby, in so far as it's basically just organised chaos. Whilst watching him I realised that, like a lot of men, I am turning into my dad who used to come and watch me play and was notorious for yelling from the touchline. The urge to direct and coach your kid is almost overwhelming as you want them to do well, but I resisted for the most part. I don't want to be one of those dad's that takes the fun out of sport for their kids. Not that my dad did that, but having been a good footballer himself, I think he wanted to re-live things vicariously through me. I am now falling into the same boat!

I didn't know you played Hammer. That's very cool. I played up until my early 20's then sort of had enough and moved onto other sports (i.e. golf). I was a centre midfielder, so ran about twice as far as most other players on the team! That's what I told them all anyway.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing..... Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...
Don't fret it, my friend. You've got a good swing. Long winters in your area of the world. It just takes a few rounds once you get outside to get your rhythm. I took a 9 on the first hole today. A par 5. Lol. Birdied the 3rd hole. Crazy game. You'll be fine. You'll figure it out.

Yeah, don't sweat it too much Pigs. I think we have all been through many episodes like this where we just lose it. End of last summer I had the wedge shanks for a few weeks. I even hit them on the range. I forgot what I did, I think it was involve the hips a little more, but I worked out of it and haven't shanked one since.

Edit: OK, maybe the normal amount of doh! thins, but not the squirters right.

Well its Official, I EFFING SUCK AT GOLF!! Didn't even finish the last couple holes today it was that bad, thin, fat, thin, slice. I can't hit anything right now that's an iron. At least last week my short game was on enough to keep me in it but not today or yesterdays range session. I can't even make a decent contact right now with a PW?? I am so lost, and so is my swing..... Edit: I just weighed my Golf Bag, It weighs in at 27.4lbs fully loaded, I wonder if this is a contributing factor? Stupid Awesome Game...
Don't fret it, my friend. You've got a good swing. Long winters in your area of the world. It just takes a few rounds once you get outside to get your rhythm. I took a 9 on the first hole today. A par 5. Lol. Birdied the 3rd hole. Crazy game. You'll be fine. You'll figure it out.

Yeah, don't sweat it too much Pigs. I think we have all been through many episodes like this where we just lose it. End of last summer I had the wedge shanks for a few weeks. I even hit them on the range. I forgot what I did, I think it was involve the hips a little more, but I worked out of it and haven't shanked one since.

Edit: OK, maybe the normal amount of doh! thins, but not the squirters right.

Pigs,

the game has a way of humbling us all. I've started the season striking the ball better than I ever have, tonight's range session finished on a shanked GW that traveled at a 70* angle and nearly struck the stall wall next to me. My response "all that for that?"

Take comfort in the fact that you know you can produce quality golf shots.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I finished off my set of Wishon 575 mmc heads last night. They should arrive in a few weeks. My holy grail irons.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I just got back from a vacation and sucked in epic proportions. I played Emerald Valley and Sandpines and shot 92 and 93. It was all short game issues. Well that and possibly chemical alteration of the brain. I want to hate this game but it was an awesome time with my wife so I'm conflicted.

I think that love/hate thing is golf all over. I've never played a sport which can deliver such highs and lows. Unfortunately those things do not come in equal measure, as in my case the lows far outweigh the highs, but of course I still love it.

I went for my first range session yesterday and hit the ball like utter shat. The 'swing progress' I thought I'd made over the winter seemed to go out the window and the old habits crept in. Mrs Wolf asked me how I'd got on and I replied "It was nice to be outside in the sunshine" which is Wolf Code for, "I was terrible and don't want to talk about it".

More disturbingly I keep developing a pain in my left wrist after golfing. I'm convinced it has something to do with the way I am releasing the club (i.e. incorrectly). It usually goes away, but comes back when I play. I'm seriously going to have to address that.

LOL over time I have resigned myself to accepting that the best way to increase the highs in this game is to lower my expectations of them. I think we tend to think we can play our best golf the majority of the time but the laws of statistics dictate otherwise.

I get that left (lead) wrist pain all the time. If I hit too many balls it also spreads to my left elbow. And I'm still not gonna switch to basket weaving.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Matt,

My home course doesn't allow ten-somes, but without an active Marshall and only the lovely lady in the clubhouse there isn't much to stop two five-somes from joining together. I've never seen this before where I play so I'm going to chalk the round up to early season stupidity.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

Ninja,

Happy to read that you had an enjoyable vacation. Hopefully some much needed R & R for you and the Mrs.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I had the same bronchitis two weeks ago. Just now finally getting rid of the cough. OMG I lost so much sleep just because of coughing. My stomach was sore too like I was doing 100 sit-ups a day.

Registered Bladeocrat

I finished off my set of Wishon 575 mmc heads last night. They should arrive in a few weeks. My holy grail irons.

I love those irons. Be sure to post pics when they arrive PD. Did you go for the CB's, MB's, or a mixture. Hang on....this is confessions and that's a stupid questions. Of course you went all MB's...right? ;)

Speaking of highs and lows in golf. I always find it funny that usually when the round is going terribly for you or someone else, at some point there will be the one shot that keeps you coming back. For instance, my guitarist, I took him out for his first round of golf (as an adult) he was struggling all day (obviously) and looked disinterested, then it happened. 13th hole, 70 footer, right in the center LOL. The look on his face when it went it, I knew he was hooked! That was 7 years ago, he just won the "b"flight in a couple tournaments in 2015, fully addicted :taunt:

Excellent stuff. There's nothing like getting someone hooked on this great game!

Ninja,

Happy to read that you had an enjoyable vacation. Hopefully some much needed R & R for you and the Mrs.

TYVM, MacDaddy. Yes it was a much needed and enjoyable vacation. We even hiked Sweet Creek which was awesome since it had 11 waterfalls.

BTW I got to hit the Wishon 575s the last time I saw my fitter. I wouldn't consider them a Holy Grail but they aren't a tin cup either.

Registered Bladeocrat

LOL over time I have resigned myself to accepting that the best way to increase the highs in this game is to lower my expectations of them. I think we tend to think we can play our best golf the majority of the time but the laws of statistics dictate otherwise.

I get that left (lead) wrist pain all the time. If I hit too many balls it also spreads to my left elbow. And I'm still not gonna switch to basket weaving.

Lol! Basket weaving. Seriously I don't have the patience or interest. Crafts are, err, not my thing.

Interesting that you get that wrist pain too Ninja. I only get it fom golf, so know that's the cause. Like I say, it's probably grip and/or release related. Never had it before and playing in pain isn't too much fun, so I'm determined to find out the cause.

I get that pain in the wrist too, Wolf.

Flipper's wrist.

:)

Interesting MJ. "Flippers wrist" is right, LOL! There's a very strong chance that's exactly what it is. I'm actually thinking about getting one of these so I can learn to release the club properly and not make the injury worse. Who knows, if it makes my golf game better, it could be a blessing in disguise.

http://impactsnap.com/

I love those irons. Be sure to post pics when they arrive PD. Did you go for the CB's, MB's, or a mixture. Hang on....this is confessions and that's a stupid questions. Of course you went all MB's...right? ;)

I went with straight CB's after putting the mid irons into play for the past few months. I was initially going to purchase a split set, but I like the appearance of the CB so that is the direction I headed. If I want to play a split set of MB's/CB's I'll carry the Macs or the FG59s in the short irons.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I went with straight CB's after putting the mid irons into play for the past few months. I was initially going to purchase a split set, but I like the appearance of the CB so that is the direction I headed. If I want to play a split set of MB's/CB's I'll carry the Macs or the FG59s in the short irons.

Solid choice. It's what I would have gone for (sorry Ninja). What shafts are you going for?

Lurking and liking. Still a lot going on. Just finished week two of living in the newer house and commuting to work. It is not bad at all at least this time of year. Sun is to our back both directions.

Played in a scramble with my brother, my son in law and a friend. It has always been at Wine Valley but got changed this year to Walla Walla Country Club which is a great old track but not Wine Valley. We played well -13 for 4th.

I got to sit back and watch my better than scratch son in law do his thing. When I started playing with him about 10 years ago I could hit it out there close to him every now and then. Those days seem to have passed.

I hit my best drive of the day and we measured it at 260. His drive on the same hole was 295! I don’t get to play with them too often so it was a special day.

Played Sunday with the SIL again. He 69. Me 86. Getting old sucks!

We got the old house inspected so I would not be blindsided by last minute problems when we put it on the market. Well now we have a whole list of stuff that has to be done :( Moving sucks.

Spending every evening after work at the old farmhouse and most weekends. It is starting to annoy me. Strike that. I’ve been grumpy about giving up my free time all along.

Welcome Chief.

Take care of yourself Sixty!

Nice Ausie knives! Fella.

Glad you had a nice vacation Ninge. Of course it would have been even better if you put up something in the 70’s or 80’s

Happy B day MC.

I’m still gaming (yeah I said it) the Master Grip C-4 balls. Nice soft urethane cover and feels like a PV1 to me. Also tried the Chrome Softs but jury is still out. Hard to beat the price of the C-4’s

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

"Solid choice. It's what I would have gone for (sorry Ninja). What shafts are you going for?"

The head shape is really similar at address (same offset, slight differences in heel height and blade length - a mm or 2) and the sole design is the same. I've carried a split set for a few rounds (as my instructor lent me his irons) and like the feel and appearance of the CB's so that's the direction I chose. I'm going to install Penley Stealth 80 graphite shafts in the set. They are the bees knees.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*