2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Benefits of heavier driver shaft??

golfnmudd

What are the benefits of a heavier driver shaft? I play x flex in my driver (ss around 115-120) but have never used a driver shaft over the 60g series. I see a lot of pros and guys on here use 70x or even 80x shafts in their drivers and I'm thinking about trying it too, but just wonder what the reasons are for doing so? I struggle with a mean hook when i miss it and wonder if the heavier shaft would smooth my tempo out to keep me from getting quick? Just looking for some opinions? Thanks

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My current driver setup is TM R1 with an X 73g shaft.

I have had the stock stiff think it was around 60g I think

I have had the tp phenom version 65g which worked ok

My driver clubheadspeed is only around 100mph and I know it sounds stupid,

but my current 73g x-stiff has been the best shaft for me.

I have a fast transition, and I feel like the x-stiff and the weight helps me here to control it somewhat better than

with a lighter and softer alternative.

I have completely eliminated the slice miss.

I have not lost any average yardage compared to the softer/lighter shafts that I have tried, but have

a far better dispersion.

Callaway EPIC SZ 10.5 Fujikura PRO 62
TM SLRD 3 WOOD
Callaway APEX #3 Hybrid
PING I200 KBS Tour 4-UW
SM6 56 (@55), SM6 60

I think all fast swingers should use shorter and heavier driver shafts. It will only help you control the ball and hit it more times in the center of the club face.

I prefer the shorter driver (i use a 44.5") and I still swing at 110-113 and hit the center of the face every time to generate drives of around and sometimes over 300 yards.

I would use a heavier shaft in my driver, but currently not able to due to a knee injury that won't heel that is hurting my swing speed

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

You will only know if you go and try a shaft that is heavier. Do you have a driver that has an adapter and removable shaft? If so go on eBay and find a 70 or 80 gram shaft that you could buy. Some can be had at a very reasonable price and if you find that you don't get along with it you can sell it on - usually with very little loss to yourself.

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

You will only know if you go and try a shaft that is heavier. Do you have a driver that has an adapter and removable shaft? If so go on eBay and find a 70 or 80 gram shaft that you could buy. Some can be had at a very reasonable price and if you find that you don't get along with it you can sell it on - usually with very little loss to yourself.

That's my plan as I play an Rbz with a fubuki alpha 60x, but just figured I start a thread to get some input on the topic, as I've seen so many people have them but just wondered why.

Another stately is to add extra weight to the head - effectively raising the swing weight into the E range - then counter balancing with a very heavy grip to bring the swing weight back down.

A heavy dead weight club often helps fast hands players to hit it straighter.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

I switched to a heavier, slightly shorter driver shaft because I picked up control by hitting the ball more often in the center of the face. I didn't lose any clubhead speed, so it is positive all around.

As for the comment about the weight being a problem at the end of the round... that is something I've never understood, for two reasons. If you're tired, you're tired. I just don't see how someone can consistently be just the right amount of tired that an 80g shaft is too much, but a 60g shaft is ok. In addition, the total weight of a wedge can be 100+ grams heavier than a driver, so if 20g in a driver shaft is too much to handle, then people should be too tired to even swing a wedge.

Titleist TSR4, 8*, Motore X F1 7S
Titleist TS3, 14.25*, Speeder VC 8.2 Tour Spec X
Titleist 818 H2 17*, Speeder VC 8.8 HB Tour Spec S
Mizuno MP H5, 3 iron, C Taper Lite X
Mizuno MP H5 (4&5), MP 5 (6-PW), DG X100 SSx1
Cleveland RTX6 54/10 & 58/10 Raw, DG X7
Mizuno OMOI 2 Blue Ion
Ball - Titleist Pro V1X left dash

Driver - Ping G400 LST 8.5* Tour Stiff 65
Fairways - Ping G410 #5 17.5* Evenflow 75 Stiff (set at big minus 16* = 3/4 wood)
Hybrids - Ping G 19* #3 Stiff Tour Stiff 90 and Ping G410 24* #4 Tour Stiff 85
Irons - Ping G410 irons 5-PW Nippon N.S.Pro 950 GH Stiff white dot +1/2" 
Wedges - Ping Glide 3.0 50* green dot +1/2", Ping Glide 3.0 54* black dot and Ping Glide 3.0 Eye 58* black dot
Bag  Ping DLX Black
Putter  Bettinardi Queen Bee #8 2017 model
Head covers for woods Ping Black/White Pompoms
Balls  Titleist ProV1, ProvV1X, AVX and TaylorMade TP5X (depending on the course and weather)
Cart Clicgear 3.5+

I still use a 70g shaft in my driver, just never got along with anything lighter. I had an 80g Whiteboard driver shaft and bombed it a few years back. I think the heavier shaft helps smooth my tempo a little, the spin & trajectory seems just a hair lower with tighter dispersion than the lighter counterpart. I was at GG the other day testing the M1, I hit the ball consistently better with the Rogue Silver 70 shaft (77g) than any other shaft option, would have liked to try the Kuro Kage 70g to compare, they didn't have one.

Heavier shafts MAY help your dispersion, but they also may not do anything depending on your swing characteristics. As long as there aren't drastic changes, I would go with whatever feels best. I have the same SS as you and use a 65g Stiff shaft. I had the length shortened to 44.75" and it feels great. Should I be using an X? Probably, but when I broke my S shaft, I saw no reason to change to an X because I hit the S so well. All about feel and what works for you.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

That's my plan as I play an Rbz with a fubuki alpha 60x, but just figured I start a thread to get some input on the topic, as I've seen so many people have them but just wondered why.

As mentioned by others it is relatively cheap to pick up a used shaft, maybe in your case a heavier Fubuki Alpha if you like the feel of it? - Another even cheaper option is to add a strip of lead tape to your existing shaft - I found THIS thread on GolfWRX which explained how to do it - The lead tape just adds extra weight to the shaft without dramatically affecting the characteristics of the shaft - That was my experience at any rate & I felt it definitely improved my ball striking with that shaft - Once I was convinced, I bought the same shaft in a heavier weight & removed the lead tape before selling on the lighter shaft

Hope this helps ... Paul

TaylorMade P770 5-PW c/w Shimada Tour Lite Stiff 
Mizuno MP-T22 49* 54* 58* 
TaylorMade Stealth 2+ 10.5* Driver c/w MRC Fujikura Ventus Velocore TR 60s
PXG 3 5 7 Woods 
PXG Closer Putter

I use a heavier shaft 82g Whiteboard and a heavier-than-stock weight in the driver head. Part of it is because I like the feel of it (I played baseball and always preferred a heavier bat for feel) and because it helps me with consistency. I have a quick tempo (working on slowing it down a bit), and I have a hard time feeling where the driver head is in my backswing, so the heavier weight helps me make more consistent impact.

TaylorMade QI10 9* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 8TX

TaylorMade Stealth+ 15* - Fujikura Ventus Red 9TX

NIKE Vapor Fly Pro 3-4i - Fujikura Pro Tour Spec 95X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5 - KBS Tour 130X

Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 6-PW - DG TI X100

Mizuno T22 Raw 50* S, 55* D | TaylorMade Hi Toe 60* - DG TI S400

Scotty Cameron Select Squareback +

I have the same exact shaft and I through some lead tape 14" from the butt to make it heavier and it seems to have worked pretty damn well along with changing my tee height. I would recommend going that route for experimentation unless you have money to throw around. Even if you do, give it a shot.

I use a heavier shaft because when I have tried lighter shafts, I tend to lose the feel. I get flippy and wristy. My accuracy suffers and I tend to miss more fairways. Though, when I do connect, I'll pick up 20 yards over my heavier gamer shaft.

For me, the accuracy and being down the middle is worth the trade in distance. I bring the club into the impact zone more consistently, so my average drives are longer and more consistent.

Mizuno ST200G 9° / Aldila Synergy Black Proto 75-TX   
TC Callaway XHot 3DEEP 13° / Graphite Design DI-10 TX

TC Callaway X2Hot 5DEEP 18.5° bent to 17° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10x

Callaway X-Forged UT 21° / Fujikura Ventus Black 10-TX

Callaway X-Forged UT 25° / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Raw Mizuno MP-32 6-PW / Nippon Super Peening Blue X hs1x 

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 50.08F / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 54.12D / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped

Titleist Vokey SM8 Black 58.14K / Nippon Super Peening Blue X Stage-stepped
Mizuno M-Craft I Blue Ion 365g / Stability Shaft

It's all about consistency and tempo for me. I can go into the high 70s but I find the sweet spot for me is around 85g. It keeps me from getting too quick at the top. I can swing away and don't need to concentrate too much on my tempo. Heavier shafts also lower spin for me which is what I need usually.

SiM2 Max  9°  Fujikura Ventus 6
TS2  15°  GD Tour AD VR-7

testing 5/7 woods🤔🤷‍♀️
818H2  21°  GD Tour AD IZ-85
0311T  4i / Z745  5-9  Nippon 950GH 
SM7 46F 52F 58D  DG 115
SM7 62M  KBS Tour
putter, KBS CT Tour, Pro Only *
(¬¬)

I'm thinking of making the switch myself. I notice with a heavy weight shaft I release the club much better, especially with the driver. I get kinda flippy with anything under 70 grams. I have a smooth transition so most research tells me I'm supposed to like a lighter shaft, but I hate the feel (or lack of it). Like swinging a toothpick LOL I have a 73 gram shaft in the driver now, maybe something in the high 80's would be lovely.

i don't feel the heavy shaft really gives the benefits. i know i can tell a difference late in the round of the heavy weighted shaft.

It's in you noggin.

910D3 9.25* PX 6.5
910F 16.5* PX 6.5
910H 20.5* PX 6.5
T-MB 4, 5 TI X100
716 AP2 6-9 TI X100
SM5 46* Chrome TI X100
SM5 Raw 52*, 56*, 60* Raw TI S400
Wilson Staff 1

As for the comment about the weight being a problem at the end of the round... that is something I've never understood, for two reasons. If you're tired, you're tired. I just don't see how someone can consistently be just the right amount of tired that an 80g shaft is too much, but a 60g shaft is ok. In addition, the total weight of a wedge can be 100+ grams heavier than a driver, so if 20g in a driver shaft is too much to handle, then people should be too tired to even swing a wedge.

It's more about the perceived effort to swing the club and the impact on the rhythm and tempo than the actual difference in effort required. When the total weight of the club gets too heavy for an individual and particularly if it's a poor match for their natural sense of rhythm and timing, for some it can feel like they have to swing harder and 'fight' the club to try and get their swing working properly (or what they think is properly - how good the mechanics really are is not the issue), particularly in transition. Excess grip pressure and fatigue in the hands is fairly common but it can impact other parts of the body as well such as the back and shoulders. And even more likely if you combine that with someone who doesn't play or practice a lot, or not in the greatest of shape to begin with, or with certain joint/tendon issue that can be stressed during the swing.

In fact, with the hands it can trigger a cycle that amplifies the effect if the person doesn't realize it's happening. The more the grip pressure increases, the more the fatigue. The more the fatigue, the weaker the hands feel. The weaker they feel, the more the pressure increases. and on and on.

I have the same exact shaft and I through some lead tape 14" from the butt to make it heavier and it seems to have worked pretty damn well along with changing my tee height. I would recommend going that route for experimentation unless you have money to throw around. Even if you do, give it a shot.

I've been trying this as well with the lead tape trying to find the best shaft weight for me. I cut down my driver 1.5" that has a 49g matrix reg shaft so that probably made the shaft weight about 47.5 gms. I added 10 gms of lead tape to bring the shaft weight up near 58 gms and it is definitely a better fit. Trying to tweak it slightly I added 5 more grams. I went and played a round yesterday and with the addition of only 5 gms and it felt terrible and I was hitting nothing but low hooks. After about 4 holes I took off about 3 gms and finally started hitting better drives again?

This may have just been me having a bad hair day but my question is, would the addition of only 5 gms cause this?

Since my 2016 season has barely begun, I've been tinkering with a few drivers on the range and have shafts from 50 grams all the way to 80 grams. I've found that the most center strikes are from a driver that is 44.5" long with 80 gram shaft. The 50 and 60 gram shafted set ups have much higher dispersion from the center of the face, but both are playing at 45.25" to 45.5". The 70+ gram shafts seem like they would be the best compromise, but playing at 45" doesn't seem to help, and I can't seem to swing well when choking down on a driver to get an indication. Will probably have to take the plunge and cut one of my 60 or 70 gram shafts down to try against the 80 gram.

This doesn't take into account the profile of the shaft or head weight, since these are all different shafts across three different heads.

Cobra King LTD 9*, Fujikura Ventus TR Red 6X
Cobra King Tec 17*, Fujikura Axiom 105S

Adams A12 19*, Diamana Thump X
TM TP MC/MB, Fujikura Axiom 105S 
Vokey 250.08, SM9 54-S & 60-V, DG S400
Toulon Palm Beach