2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

The Secret History of Tiger Woods -

socied

This is like the old "who's the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time" argument.

Unless you are just a Tiger fan, I don't see anyway you can not have Jack at the top of the list. Somebody made a compelling argument for Hagen in 2nd but, other than that, I find it hard to come to any other conclusion. Now if Tiger goes back to being dominant, or at least winning some, then it gets interesting again.

When comparing the competition of the era's, I stand by my assertion that the players of yesteryear were tougher competitor's. Maybe because they weren't making great livings just making the cut or maybe men were just tougher in general back then. I like to think it's the latter.

Couple questions for you and everyone because I cannot find a list online that I would like. Is there anyone that knows where I can find a list of PGA Tour all time starts and wins? If I search it I only find the top 5 or so starts, Jay Haas has the most iirc, or a list of guys that win the most money without a win which is worthless comparing eras.

Second I understand tough in boxing but what is tough in golf? If a Casper wins on Sunday he is tough? Even if he won because Palmer crumbled? A current player cannot be tough shooting 65 on Sunday in a major because he makes a good living? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just dense lol but Jack was just as tough as Tom at Turnberry but lost.

Edit forgot to ask one question. By what standard could Jack be absolutely ahead of Tiger and yet you could see Hagen ahead of Tiger as well? Just curious :)

Wilson Dynapower Carbon Mitsu Kai’li 60S

Wilson Dynapower 3+ 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Wilson UDI 3 HZRDUS Black 90

Wilson 4-6 Dynapower forged/ 7-P Staff CB all Nippon Pro Modus 115s

Wilson ZM forged 50° 56° 60° DG TI Spinner wedge

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/    Cameron Del Mar

• Replies 860
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Payne Stewart - 3 (1 while Tiger was a pro)

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

As I pointed out earlier, some of the numbers from Jacks era are interpreted wrong. They go up to 1986, when he was 46. To be accurate you need to go to 1980. Seve had 2 majors at that point. Watson had 3. Floyd had 2.

Six years from now we can do a real analysis. But I would say that there have been plenty of guys in Tigers era that have proven that they can win.

There are 12 Players who have "proven" that they can win a Major-

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason Jack's list included all major winners and Tiger's list only included multiple major winners? Richard cited 39 guys who "proved" they could win a major in Jack's career (1962-1986). Well, if we're counting the same list, 43 guys have currently "proven" they can win a major in Tiger's career (1997-2016). So more guys have shown they can win, and we're still 5 years shy of the same length of time....

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

Drew -- one point, the current four majors were formulated long before Palmer had the notion of winning his grand slam, and a long time before 1960. I'll get you some resource material on that, because it goes back a lot farther than I think you think it does, or at least the way I am reading your posts. If I'm misinterpreting, sorry about that, but I don't think I am.

Hey Hawk, can you clarify what you're referencing here? You lost me....

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

This is like the old "who's the greatest heavyweight fighter of all time" argument.

Unless you are just a Tiger fan, I don't see anyway you can not have Jack at the top of the list. Somebody made a compelling argument for Hagen in 2nd but, other than that, I find it hard to come to any other conclusion. Now if Tiger goes back to being dominant, or at least winning some, then it gets interesting again.

When comparing the competition of the era's, I stand by my assertion that the players of yesteryear were tougher competitor's. Maybe because they weren't making great livings just making the cut or maybe men were just tougher in general back then. I like to think it's the latter.

Couple questions for you and everyone because I cannot find a list online that I would like. Is there anyone that knows where I can find a list of PGA Tour all time starts and wins? If I search it I only find the top 5 or so starts, Jay Haas has the most iirc, or a list of guys that win the most money without a win which is worthless comparing eras.

Second I understand tough in boxing but what is tough in golf? If a Casper wins on Sunday he is tough? Even if he won because Palmer crumbled? A current player cannot be tough shooting 65 on Sunday in a major because he makes a good living? I don't get it. Maybe I'm just dense lol but Jack was just as tough as Tom at Turnberry but lost.

Edit forgot to ask one question. By what standard could Jack be absolutely ahead of Tiger and yet you could see Hagen ahead of Tiger as well? Just curious :)

I meant in the sense of wins, majors, and even considering the number of 2nd place finishes in majors. Earlier in the thread, somebody had an interesting take on Hagen's record and how it could be interpreted another way because of the major tournaments of the time.

As far as the tough comment goes, I was just giving my opinion that perhaps the opponents in the older generations were a tougher breed. No statistical analysis to back that up just a thought. I was speculating that perhaps today's pros may be more readily willing to accept not being in contention or making a run considering that they are still making a healthy check. I don't doubt these guys still want to win but it sure cushions the blow. Just a theory.

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

As I pointed out earlier, some of the numbers from Jacks era are interpreted wrong. They go up to 1986, when he was 46. To be accurate you need to go to 1980. Seve had 2 majors at that point. Watson had 3. Floyd had 2.

Six years from now we can do a real analysis. But I would say that there have been plenty of guys in Tigers era that have proven that they can win.

Maybe I'm missing something, but is there a reason Jack's list included all major winners and Tiger's list only included multiple major winners? Richard cited 39 guys who "proved" they could win a major in Jack's career (1962-1986). Well, if we're counting the same list, 43 guys have currently "proven" they can win a major in Tiger's career (1997-2016). So more guys have shown they can win, and we're still 5 years shy of the same length of time....

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

Good Morning Bro :)

WoW, pharmaceuticals circa 2016 are similar to Jack, circa 1974 and Tiger 2000-

Incredible!!

They give em to me, I get all warm and fuzzy inside and then I look at the board and all of a sudden I agree with all of you and just want us all to enjoy and appreciate These men for who they are....

Rare Champions that we were fortunate to have witnessed their achievements.

Then I wake up amd it's morning, lmao

Putzes :)

Drewster, as I said in my listing post, it took everything I had in me at the time to pick the names out for Jack's list because I was seeing double out of my good eye, lol, and I left putting together Tiger's list to someone else.

I only said 12 because I thought that the list that Noch put together was the comparable list for Tiger and I was too, umm, well, I couldn't do Tiger's list, lol.

And really, I don't care if Tiger's list had 12, 32 or 82 guys on it, my main point, and as I look back I did a terrible job of supporting it, lmao, was that Jack had far more than 4-5 guys show up to challenge him on Sunday.

I was so out of it that I didn't even notice that none of the "onesies" were included in Tiger's list, lol

The only thing that my post proved is that even in a Tiger thread, when emotions run sky high and tact and decorum are as rare as a Challenger to Tiger in the summer of 1998, well, you, Noch, Basc, Shilgs and the others were "gentle," lmao

Thank You :)

Have a great day Gents :)

My Best,

Richard

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

Not sure. I just pulled the list of multiple winners in his era. I still just find it interesting to compare Jack and Tiger at different times.

As mentioned previously, when Jack was 40, Floyd had 2 majors. But on every comparison he's shown as having 4. But those came later on. For all we know, Bubba can win two more. Speith can win two more. Zach Johnson can win two more.

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

Wait-what?? So you are telling me that more players have proven they have the mettle to win a major in Tigers 20 years than in Jacks 25? Wow! :)

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

Wait-what?? So you are telling me that more players have proven they have the mettle to win a major in Tigers 20 years than in Jacks 25? Wow! :)

But TW never had to go up against

Arnie!

Of course, Arnie won his last major in 1964 (and 6 or his 7 Majors by 1962)

And Jack won his first Major in 1962.

But that's another story ; )

In each and every one of his 18 majors, Jack beat Hogan, Seve, and everyone in between.

Jack beat Hogan now?

Due respect but,

Hogan won his first PGA Tournament in 1938.

2 years before Jack was born.

Guys were way tougher back then. Hogan played golf in the army!

Nice!

Ok, but if Hogan was Jack's competition then

Tiger was playing head to head with and beating Tom Watson and Seve ; )

More different winners in Tiger's ear means deeper and stronger fields in Tiger's ear. Case CLOSED!

or one hit wonders.......lol.....u funny

15 multiple majors listed in Jacks 25 years. 15 multiple majors listed in Tigers 20. So you want guys that can prove they can win a major but if they win one they are one hit wonders like most of Jack's list as well. Got it........

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

No, absolutely he's not saying that!!!!!!!!

Now that I found out that the statistics don't support my side, they don't mean s***, statistics mean what ya want em to mean and lies, lies and more lies!!!!!

He meant that while this era is OK, Jack's was incredible with even the "onesy" guys being HoFers if they had Played in another era other than Jack's!!!

Right Drew????

Drew?????

Bro, you there??

Ahh, the hell with it, I'll see myself out.....

Thanks for having me, I've had a frickin ball gettin b**** slapped all over the board :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Phil - 5

Ernie - 4

Rory - 4

Vijay - 3

Harrington - 3

Bubba - 2

O'Meara - 2

Speith - 2

Zach Johnson - 2

Angel Cabrera - 2

Goosen - 2

Chronologically:

1. Payne (3)

2. Janzen (2)

3. Olazabal (2)

4. Els (4)

5. Justin Leonard (1)

6. DL3 (1)

7. Mark O (2)

8. Vijay (3)

9. Lawrie (1)

10. Goosen (2)

11. Duval (1)

12. Toms (1)

13. Beem (1)

14. Weir (1)

15. Furyk (1)

16. Ben Curtis (1)

17. Shaun Micheel (1)

18. Mickelson (5)

19. Todd Hamilton (1)

20. Michael Campbell (1)

21. Ogilvy (1)

22. Zach Johnson (2)

23. Angel Cabrera (2)

24. Harrington (3)

25. Trevor Immelman (1)

26. Lucas Glover (1)

27. Stewart Cink (1)

28. YE Yang (1)

29. GMac (1)

30. Oosthuizen (1)

31. Kaymer (2)

32. Schwartzel (1)

33. Rory (4)

34. Darren Clarke (1)

35. Keegan Bradley (1)

36. Bubba (2)

37. Webb Simpson (1)

38. Adam Scott (1)

39. Justin Rose (1)

40. Dufner (1)

41. Spieth (2)

42. Day (1)

43. Willett (1)

No, absolutely he's not saying that!!!!!!!!

Now that I found out that the statistics don't support my side, they don't mean s***, statistics mean what ya want an to mean and lies, lies and more lies!!!!!

He meant that while this era is OK, Jack's was incredible with even the "onesy" guys being HoFers if they had Played in another era other than Jack's!!!

Right Drew????

Drew?????

Bro, you there??

Ahh, the hell with it, I'll see myself out.....

Thanks for having me, I've had a frickin ball gettin b**** slapped all over the board :)

Fairways & Greens 4ever My Friends,

RP

:cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :cheesy: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Oh, and FWIW, in the Burgh Jack is wayyyyyyy bigger than Gandhi ;)

All the Best,

RP

They give em to me, I get all warm and fuzzy inside and then I look at the board and all of a sudden I agree with all of you and just want us all to enjoy and appreciate These men for who they are....

Rare Champions that we were fortunate to have witnessed their achievements.

Now THAT I wholeheartedly agree with Richard! :)

And just to be clear, I wasn't trying to beat you up over the lists - I just thought it was odd that no one else batted an eye when Noch posted the Tiger list only being 12 deep.

Details..... lol

Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

More different winners in Tiger's ear means deeper and stronger fields in Tiger's ear. Case CLOSED!

15 multiple majors listed in Jacks 25 years. 15 multiple majors listed in Tigers 20. So you want guys that can prove they can win a major but if they win one they are one hit wonders like most of Jack's list as well. Got it........

And if you really drill down into who Jack's "competition" was.

We see that during Jack's most productive years

He did not really face *either* Tom Watson or Arnold Palmer in their primes. Watson started winning Majors in 1975, Jack started in 1962. And Palmer stopped winning Majors in 1964 (7 of 8 by 1962 when Jack started winning Majors)

Still leaves Player, Trevino and some great competition. Just not what some make it seem to be.

Using that logic Jack had 24 one hit wonders. More variety of winners = deeper fields. It's rather simple.

I agree. Your reasoning is rather simple.

Callaway XR Pro Attas Tour SPX X
Taylormade Tour issue 15* V Steel 3 wood
Hybrid undecided
Cobra Amp Cell Pro's (All MB) 4-GW Project X Rifle 6.0
Cleveland CG15 56 and 60
White Hot 6 Long Neck

And if you really drill down into who Jack's "competition" was.

We see that during Jack's most productive years

He did not really face *either* Tom Watson or Arnold Palmer in their primes. Watson started winning Majors in 1975, Jack started in 1962. And Palmer stopped winning Majors in 1964 (7 of 8 by 1962 when Jack started winning Majors)

Still leaves Player, Trevino and some great competition. Just not what some make it seem to be.

Jack did face them in their prime but their primes barely overlapped. Going by the logic mentioned though you should include Norman and Faldo as Tigers "competitors" for example. If Arnie won his last at basically the same time as Jack won his first is that not about the same scenario as Tiger versus Nick and Greg? Nick Price as well. So by golly that list of Tigers competitors is growing quite rapidly! :)

Did everyone forget cherry hills in 1960???

Aiming for a record fifth U.S. Open title at age 47, Ben Hogan was tied for the lead on the 71st tee, a par 5. He hit his third shot in the water and made bogey. Needing birdie to tie on 18, he again found water, triple-bogeyed, and finished in a tie for ninth place.

We remember it well. But what does it have to do with Jack and his professional career?

Did everyone forget cherry hills in 1960???

Aiming for a record fifth U.S. Open title at age 47, Ben Hogan was tied for the lead on the 71st tee, a par 5. He hit his third shot in the water and made bogey. Needing birdie to tie on 18, he again found water, triple-bogeyed, and finished in a tie for ninth place.

So, then, Rory Mcilroy went head to head with Tom Watson?

Watson did even better in the 2009 Open than the Hogan reference you cite ; )