2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

3 hours ago, RoverTiger said:

The funny thing is that our millennials are easily the most competent. It's the 50-60s that tend to be our more challenging ones.

I'm 61 so I'll speak to that. Near end of boomer gen. Folks of that age, many have been in meat grinder despite carrying their careers admirably. Dedicated and then got a pink slip, watch themselves marginalized with mortgages, kids and retirement all of it ill funded hung to dry. They took brunt of ''right sizing'' and outsourcing. Go retrain, rinse/repeat. Many are jaded & disenfranchised & unmotivated. Greatest Gen had it easier in that one respect. My suspicion is millennials are already weary and aware and if they get confronted in same fashion , their checkout will be far faster and quicker. But right now, they still got juice of youth. The X-ers in my family had grandest of opportunities and most have done well. The Boomers/older gen x is another story. Have a lot friends I'm frightened for too. Tale of two cities transcending them in disproportionate ways. So not surprised by your assessment. Not surprised by current malaise towards work in general, which is at highest in my lifetime. 

• Like 3

On 6/11/2024 at 9:55 AM, Soloman1 said:

here’s a simple test to determine if there are any gators in a lake, pond, stream or any water in florida.

1. go to the edge of the water.

2. reach down and feel the water.

3. if it feels wet, there are gators in it.

Could this guy be anymore stupid

• Haha 4

28 minutes ago, Nard_S said:

I'm 61 so I'll speak to that. Near end of boomer gen. Folks of that age, many have been in meat grinder despite carrying their careers admirably. Dedicated and then got a pink slip, watch themselves marginalized with mortgages, kids and retirement all of it ill funded hung to dry. They took brunt of ''right sizing'' and outsourcing. Go retrain, rinse/repeat. Many are jaded & disenfranchised & unmotivated. Greatest Gen had it easier in that one respect. My suspicion is millennials are already weary and aware and if they get confronted in same fashion , their checkout will be far faster and quicker. But right now, they still got juice of youth. The X-ers in my family had grandest of opportunities and most have done well. The Boomers/older gen x is another story. Have a lot friends I'm frightened for too. Tale of two cities transcending them in disproportionate ways. So not surprised by your assessment. Not surprised by current malaise towards work in general, which is at highest in my lifetime. 

Probably a lot of truth in that assessment.

A bag off the beaten path:

Driver: Turner H7 at 12 degrees, 43.5"

3W: Adams Speedline F11 (purchased used)

3UI: Adams Pro DHy

4UI: Turner 239

Irons: (5-PW): Dynacraft Prophet Muscle Blades

Wedges: (52, 56, 60): Ram Pro Spin

Putter: old Nitro putter with a DIY Blackburn Rovers paintjob

In the bullpen:  3H: System Golf Icon Plus (purchased used)

@Soloman1

you reading any of these new electric vehicle taxes ?😬.  adding to the tax bill with a fee. Or some charging  by the mile ?   I’m dying over here. 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

@Soloman1

you reading any of these new electric vehicle taxes ?😬.  adding to the tax bill with a fee. Or some charging  by the mile ?   I’m dying over here. 🤣

i said all that would happen, but it was obvious it would.

the whole industry sector is like being downwind from a pig farm.

as predicted. 🙂

• Haha 4

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

2 hours ago, Petethreeput said:

This is surprising look at the job market, the speed in which the world is changing and how they would be affecting us oldsters.  And this is from 2010!

i own a business and i tried training 4 guys who were my age +/- 5 years who were dislocated and scrambling. i explained, it's lateral shift a reset and would take several years to ascend financially. but if committed you'll always find work too.  It was not doable but for one and he decided to go another route.  i gave that up. There's something to old dog, new tricks thing but there's something to the spiritual death associated with dislocation & economic disruption. something that kills the flame for many. i've  experienced it, success breeds momentum, hardship destroys it, like pushing a 5000 lb car, easy to keep it rolling, hard to restart and get going again. mind in same career too. career change is like adding 180 turn in the mud. so dunno. i'm older maybe younger are better prepped for a reality imposed. .

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Soloman1 said:

i said all that would happen, but it was obvious it would.

the whole industry sector is like being downwind from a pig farm.

as predicted. 🙂

Yep. I agree. I just laughed as I read about the Texas tax addendum . And then the California idea of 3 cents a mile.  🤦‍♂️….  Next they’ll tell us that recycling is mostly fake…. 😜.   

• Haha 2

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

9 hours ago, bladehunter said:

Loads of truth there.  Have experienced it myself.  A couple times . A very wise man told me when I was 19-20.  Talking  about my quitting my job and opening a business. He said “ whatever you do , you have to keep the ball rolling.  You can’t buy cars , land etc that you like or want to keep. You have to unload it if a profit shows itself…. Or put it to work somehow to earn its keep “.   I’ve mostly done just that. Renting out land to farm. Or farming it myself , for the ag land use tax breaks , and to make enough to at least cover the tax bill so that any new land isn’t a liability.  I’ve owned 100s of cars. Never kept any except my transportation/drivers. I always sell them as soon as the offer is right.     Sometimes out of proactive nature. Sometimes out of necessity.  So I do well with selling. Or with passive income with land to balance cost of ownership.  But  At the Same time I have a very bad habit  of undervaluing my own work.  I’ve never charged enough.  Embarrassingly low.  I had that highlighted tonight when I saw my father in laws transmission bill for his 08 f150. $3100. ( labor was $1750)  Holy smokes.  I’m busting my hump on complicated and delicate collector things , when guys are making that for a days  work on a job where appearance matters 2% and mechanics 98%. I do things like that in my sleep.  I have to price myself into a better customer base. Or at least price myself into some free time 🤣

talking about old dogs .  I’m an outside dog.  I don’t know how you’d cage me up and me survive.  Today’s work started at 830 …. I first put a rear axle together for my son’s truck. ( had a bearing whining ).  Then I went and got the small Kubota and mowed the 3 small fences onsides so my son could weedeat the fence lines later.  Then I got on the big John Deere and plowed up an acre spot for beets to be planted. Swapped to a smaller tractor that had a drag harrow on it to drag lightly and get the loose grass off the area and bust any clods.  Then I got off and back on the row crop tractor with the planters to layoff  rows and plant.  Got that done before 130.  Ate.  And came back out to go into the paint booth and paint two doors and a trunk lid for a mustang im doing.  Came out of there and locked up and went to the back field and mowed till dark.  

it was a busy day.  My point.  That’s stuff doesn’t phase me.  I get a good mix of quiet alone time. Time on the  phone with customers , and time in the shop keeping things moving.  But you put me in a setting where I’m chained down for 12 hours. Or even 8.   Have a boss , And i won’t make it.  So I have no choice but to make it work.  Somehow.  It’s a matter of sanity.  I’m too old for the military too smart for organized crime and too dumb to go to law school 🤣.  

I hear you. Had a cushy job at a company that was pristine and super low pressure, ideal working conditions. They gave me a job to convert print to prototype, gave me 2 months to do it. I mean this was 3 days of work, I quit, leveraged house, bought machines been on my own since. There are years, would be better if I didn't do it, years I'm grateful, but I answer to customers and that's plenty and it's way more honest too. No politics, no egos, no titles to appeal to.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

work is the organizer of lives, a structure for the day, week, etc.

not everyone has an entrepreneurial spirit, and that’s fine and dandy. no judgement about that from me. some are unable to work independently. some do everything half way. some do everything as best they can, based on what they know.

that’s where i part company with the idea that we all have free will. i don’t think we have it.

every single choice we make is based on our experience, people who influenced us, things we saw and heard, what we read, our mistakes and our successes. the smallest of decisions/choices.

yeah, the egos and politics are constant speed bumps on the road of the workplace. there are some who are devious and conniving creatures. if they put the deep thinking and planning of their deviousness to other evil things, they could be investment bankers, lawyers or elected to office. 🙂

props to those who do their best, in spite of the speed bumps. they don’t get enough credit.

• Like 4

Literally just ate a whole pack of Fig Newtons while doing paperwork and watching/listening to the US Open at the office. Good thing I'm going for a run this afternoon. 😅

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Soloman1 said:

work is the organizer of lives, a structure for the day, week, etc.

not everyone has an entrepreneurial spirit, and that’s fine and dandy. no judgement about that from me. some are unable to work independently. some do everything half way. some do everything as best they can, based on what they know.

that’s where i part company with the idea that we all have free will. i don’t think we have it.

every single choice we make is based on our experience, people who influenced us, things we saw and heard, what we read, our mistakes and our successes. the smallest of decisions/choices.

yeah, the egos and politics are constant speed bumps on the road of the workplace. there are some who are devious and conniving creatures. if they put the deep thinking and planning of their deviousness to other evil things, they could be investment bankers, lawyers or elected to office. 🙂

props to those who do their best, in spite of the speed bumps. they don’t get enough credit.

Is it that we don’t have free will ? Or that we don’t have the ability ( smarts ) or sometimes courage to use it ??  I can have a 200mph motorcycle with the swipe of a credit card. But I’m not at all going to ride it over 70 if that.  

not arguing. Just posing the question.  

• Like 1

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

3 hours ago, Nard_S said:

I hear you. Had a cushy job at a company that was pristine and super low pressure, ideal working conditions. They gave me a job to convert print to prototype, gave me 2 months to do it. I mean this was 3 days of work, I quit, leveraged house, bought machines been on my own since. There are years, would be better if I didn't do it, years I'm grateful, but I answer to customers and that's plenty and it's way more honest too. No politics, no egos, no titles to appeal to.

You hit the nail on the head as far as reason why.  

I’m dumb by all accounts if you measure by in hand vs in the bush.  But.  I refuse t take orders from someone dumber than me.  It’s not an ego thing. Or a conscious thing. At the time.  I’ll try to just stay in my lane. But before you know it , my ocd tendencies  will begin to itch. And I’ll start to pick that person apart.  Like a carcass. And we both know that won’t last long.  Now some pass the test. I’ve made great friends who are good leaders. And my peers. I have no issue following their lead.  But some guy who couldn’t balance his own checkbook to the penny or change his own oil ?  Nah.  I’d question him if he said the sky is blue. No trust.  And no way to gain it. 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

31 minutes ago, bladehunter said:

Is it that we don’t have free will ? Or that we don’t have the ability ( smarts ) or sometimes courage to use it ??  I can have a 200mph motorcycle with the swipe of a credit card. But I’m not at all going to ride it over 70 if that.  

not arguing. Just posing the question.  

you never argue, and i never take it that way. that’s the value of the grille - discussions and not arguments.

i think you answered your own question. you’ll either not buy it because of something you know from previous experience, or you’ll buy it because of something else you’ve read or been influenced about spontaneity or impulsiveness. and your experience with it.

either way, something is influencing your decision.

even in criminal behavior. violent criminals have histories and influences, including a higher level of blood-lead concentration. that’s just another influence.

Edited by Soloman1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

you never argue, and i never take it that way. that’s the value of the grille - discussions and not arguments.

i think you answered your own question. you’ll either not buy it because of something you know from previous experience, or you’ll buy it because of something else you’ve read or been influenced about spontaneity or impulsiveness. and your experience with it.

either way, something is influencing your decision.

even in criminal behavior. violent criminals have histories and influences, including a higher level of blood-lead concentration. that’s just another influence.

Hmm. That’s interesting for sure.  I guess I just hate the slippery slope of “ excusing actions “ based on influences that might not be helped , from the past. And yet we do for all for all kinds of exceptions.  Daily. And I agree with alot of those.  So who knows. 

( off to check my bloods lead level ) 🤣

• Haha 2

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

1 hour ago, RoverTiger said:

Literally just ate a whole pack of Fig Newtons while doing paperwork and watching/listening to the US Open at the office. Good thing I'm going for a run this afternoon. 😅

Better, and maybe healthier, than a whole pack of Twinkies.

• Like 2

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

50 minutes ago, Soloman1 said:

When shot that lead level goes up, but the blood level goes down.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1
  • Haha 3

3.0 GHIN Index - trending down

1 minute ago, Double Mocha Man said:

When shot that lead level goes up, but the blood level goes down.

Morgan Freeman Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

• Haha 3

i don’t think it’s something to be analyzed or an attempt made to recall all of the influences affecting each decision. there so many stored away that are not even consciously known.

i believe the free will mantra is just words to make people feel like they are the masters of everything.

just like the universe, everything is affected by everything. there is no free will to make a planet or a star. 🙂

1 hour ago, bladehunter said:

I’m dumb by all accounts if you measure by in hand vs in the bush.  But.  I refuse t take orders from someone dumber than me.  It’s not an ego thing. Or a conscious thing. At the time.  I’ll try to just stay in my lane. But before you know it , my ocd tendencies  will begin to itch. And I’ll start to pick that person apart.  Like a carcass. And we both know that won’t last long.  Now some pass the test. I’ve made great friends who are good leaders. And my peers. I have no issue following their lead.  But some guy who couldn’t balance his own checkbook to the penny or change his own oil ?  Nah.  I’d question him if he said the sky is blue. No trust.  And no way to gain it. 

So, I’m just out buying some potatoes 🥔 and as I’m picking them out I’m aware of some vile odor…then aware of this looming 6’4 270 lb oaf standing near me, smells like he hasn’t showered i his life, and he’s waiting til I finish 

Swear I was this close to shoving him into the kale and Swiss chard and pelting him with Idaho russets until EMS came to cart him off in a stink pile

🤣

ok rant over 😬

• Haha 2

15 minutes ago, bscinstnct said:

So, I’m just out buying some potatoes 🥔 and as I’m picking them out I’m aware of some vile odor…then aware of this looming 6’4 270 lb oaf standing near me, smells like he hasn’t showered i his life, and he’s waiting til I finish 

Swear I was this close to shoving him into the kale and Swiss chard and pelting him with Idaho russets until EMS came to cart him off in a stink pile

🤣

ok rant over 😬

But what he lacks in personal hygiene he makes up for in politeness.

• Haha 2

hope he’s not on my flight on wednesday.

two things i dislike, smelly people and women who pour a bottle of cheap perfume on themselves.

(i’m horribly allergic to some perfumes. truth. violently ill. that’s one reason i lived in japan. only tourists wear perfume and you can smell it if they’re two cars away on a train.)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, bladehunter said:

on some level i just rationalize that humans are being human, worked 2/3 career for others, had good & bad peers but it's nature of things. we are tribal animals and we behave tribally. am i more  ''free''? yes & no. Free for more headaches & sleepless nights, lol, & free to skip out to hit balls. one is never free in physical & societal realm. prince or pauper, most all have constraints, obligations and baggage to haul.  

• Like 2