2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Fella,

Before going down the list of usual suspects in trajectory management - I wanted to state two or three things first and foremost.

A) The usual anti-troll qualifiers. I don't own teaching credentials. Don't drive it 350 yards. This makes me an idiot.

B) I'm 1000% better at this when I see a DTL and FO (both) video of several swings with several clubs. Ladle on top of that some simple back and forth dialog for a week or two, and far better things happen far more quickly and efficiently. Not asking you for that. In fact don't do it if your at all hesitant. What I can do is give you a list of "suspects". Some of them in combination, perhaps one or two primarily, will allow you to become your own best coach. It's like a combination lock. I'll give you the numbers and you can freely experiment inside which one or ones are "it" - for you personally.

C) There is absolutely NOTHING that will come from me in the next post that supersedes GRIP - AND that wrist thing you went out and tried. NOTHING. Those two things alone have their way of pulling other things with them. Incredibly, even feet and knee work go on to be influenced by that wrist and release business. It would seem on the surface that one thing would be completely independent of (example) feet and knee work. But amazingly, once your wrists and release are really good, your subconscious will get your entire body to do what must be done to go with it. There were a ton of subtle ques that went with what we were talking about during that stretch of posts. The smooth transition, the way the wrists NOT THE ARMS get that clubhead to fly past the butt end of the handle, how we are actually managing a waist-high to waist-high area to let the moment of impact take care of itself, and how halfway up the follow-through plane there can be a trail (right) hand that's shaking hands versus a palm-down or palm-up condition. That thing is a MONSTER and absolutely nothing else - other than perhaps how we grip it takes priority. In fact - anything and everything that follows must act in SUPPORT of that grip and wrist business or it shouldn't be even attempted.

"C" above will need to be the umbrella under which all other things live. I say this because I know for a fact you experienced it. It's NOT a one-bucket wonder. All by itself, it gives rise to a very long list of other good things, and STILL you can be yourself and swing your swing without wondering how it looks, or fits-in with the ball flight lawyers and purists say-so.

OK. With these three key points now made, standby to receive a "list" to explore.

Oh and one more quick thing... I agree with Stu as to finding good things through practice. And there's no way in Hades I'd challenge what he says about tuning clubs. Just want to suggest that the thousands of hours and balls hit in practice might just take less thousands (by a long shot) once we're actually approaching things with a purposeful road map. Rabbit holes are frustrating. They don't travel from practice to play. Good things are fun to apply and shorten that frustration. Even if ultimate improvements are spotty, the golfer KNOWS he's on to something good and enjoys his journey more. Had to put that one out there as I know what a hair-trigger many golfers have about being averse to trying and failing. Towels get thrown in and white flags wave at the drop of a hat when it comes to this stuff.

We absolutely CAN make more solid contact with that ball. Maybe not at the level the pros do, but the Sunday golfer CAN navigate his way to at least a little more fun in ball striking once he's open to exploring it. Who cares if he did or didn't get there so dramatically he's featured in Golf Magazine and suddenly earning his living inside the ropes? It's about the journey not the headlines. :)

Did anyone watch Saturday's golf in Mexico? Wow, that was some really bad putting by the chasers but I now know why I miss those little ones. I play on bumpy afternoon Poa Annua greens. No wonder Tiger hates that stuff. I just thought I was bad but now I have a perfectly good excuse. One thing I have learned over time is that the best putters on that stuff just step up and ram it in. I envy one of the guys we play with that almost never worries about the comebackers and rarely leaves putts short. I on the other hand will t!tty tremble those short ones down there at fall in speed and miss them when they fall to the left or right because late in the day the hole is raised a little from all the steps around it and the bumps caused by the Poa growing at a faster rate than the other grass in our greens. Guys out early have an advantage.

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Trajectory Management. Ball flights too high.

A) Grip. The handle might be too angled through the lead (left) palm. The fix is getting the handle wrapped more around the base knuckles of that hand such that those old reminder grip handles would work. There should be a little noticeable break or cupping in the back of the lead hand at address. Two to three knuckles should be easily seen when looking down. The trail (right hand) should fit with it's palm cup nicely hugging the lead hand thumb. High ball hitters often tend to have the left hand too deep in that palm and often have the trail hand turned too far clockwise exposing a ton of the lead hand thumb as seen face on. This opens up the clubface through impact thereby increasing loft. Pushes, push slices, lining up to left field are often seen in addition to the higher trajectory. There are a thousand permutations of what one or both hands "can" look like at setup. There's ONE that's right for you. (And it TOTALLY supports that oily wrist thing when it's right). The right grip has a unique way of giving the setup stance and posture pure and simple purpose without even thinking about it. There's a raft of reasons why this is true. It's just true LOL. So much for flexion, extension, forearm rotation, and graduate level classes in bio-mechanics.

B) Stance for the high-baller: Without treading into the land of "never" and "always", these are things often seen be it one or in combination:

1) Too bent at the waist, and/or knees, and/or noticeably rounded shoulders or spine. With some/all that comes too much tension. Often there's an ensuing feeling of NOT being able to get comfortable at address, and at the top it may feel challenging to include a slight pause up there. And, all the listed foibles are basically attempts to get the handle LOWER at address and ultimately through impact. Typically (not always) the higher the hands and handle through impact, the lower the ball flights. The reverse is true. So we tend at times to manufacture a setup that gets those hands DOWN a little more. (When a good grip would solve 90% of that one). Getting the handle DOWN too forcefully can happen during the swing. It's also something that begins at setup. This one may be worthy of exploration given you (like me) are longer in the spine but somewhat less long in the arms. We compensate in sometimes unusual ways. Some of them good. Some not so much.

2) Too far from the ball at address. This one can be tougher to manage but again - let the proper GRIP drive this one rather than approaching it from getting the "right" distance from the ball and then gripping it accordingly. When the stance distance from the ball drives the grip - things are arse-backwards.

3) Sounds elementary but the knees should be slightly inside the feet. Elbows should be inside the knees. Hands should be inside the elbows. (Duh!) And, because the trail hand is lower on the handle than the lead hand, the trail shoulder naturally should be lower at address. The high baller sometimes sets up with more weight on his right foot than he realizes. For this golfer he may start off at address with that trail shoulder dropped way down - A LOT. His may also setup with his knees right up over his feet.

Yes the head should not fly past the ball before the strike but often, the high baller gets himself back behind the ball and STAYS there with such intent he has no choice but to release through impact with added loft to the club. He never gets his right side rolling through the shot. The ultimate "fix" is exploring the simplest feet, knees, elbows, hands thing in a way that serves up a SLIGHT bit of upper body tilt away from the target without leaving tons of weight on the back foot and/or a hugely dipped trail shoulder.

C) Backswing to the top.

1) The most common thing a high baller displays at the top is best seen on video from DTL. That "break" or "cupping" in his initial lead hand grip was either never there initially, OR he adds a ton of it getting the club to the top. This almost always creates a condition where the toe of the club is hanging down to the ground up there - known as "open at the top". It's really REALLY hard from up there and in that state, to flow the club back down without a ton of added loft. So the "fix" is to get that RIGHT wrist more cupped up there at the top and FLATTEN the lead (left) wrist. We can talk more later if this one is you. But you'll know if it is or isn't your issue by getting in front of a closet mirror in DTL fashion and swinging a club to the top and pausing. Look at what you see in the mirror. If that left wrist is bent such that the back of the hand is pointing more to the horizon out in front of you - then we've found a biggie inside your ball flights.

2) Initial take-away move conflict: Some folks just naturally fan the clubface open abruptly as part of the takeaway. They may take back low and around the arse then lift the club up to the top from there. Others relate to the backswing as needing a very high-handed landing spot up over the head. Those golfers tend to go back with the clubhead remaining out and away from their hands for a LONG time getting to the top. Doesn't matter which one might apply. What matters is they "may" be getting high ball flights from their initial takeaway. It's a swing plane issue. (This is where I'd need a video but at least you can dink around in there is see what YOU think.) Bottom line, the goal - however you take it back is to get to a landing place at the top - where the lead arm and clubshaft can roll back down on the same or slightly lowered plane than was true going back. When coupled with the correct lead wrist position (flatter - flattish) at the top, the trail elbow will point more "downward" as you start to transition. That change of directions will be smoother and simpler - empowering that oily wrist thing.

D) Downswing Contributors

1) Hopefully you're seeing how things early in the swing such as setup and grip would have predisposed good (or not so good) things that follow. Working on the downswing is a rabit hole cause it's literally too late to fix anything that went awry leading up to that moment. It's already happening and it's too late. HOWEVER the transition from backswing to through swing CAN be individually tackled. High ball hitters sometimes tend to LEAN the upper body toward the target before they actually start to flow the club back down. This in effect closes the distance from the hands to the ball. They will dump the angle (knowingly or not) between the shaft and lead arm right over their right (trail) leg. This adds loft. So what can be done if you're a "leaner" at the top, is to go right back to that oily wrist doo-dad. Take arms out of it more and add more wrists. Pause at the top. Think NOT of ripping that hands downward but just letting relaxed arms flow down patiently until the hands are just about waist-high and from THERE, let the wrists swing the clubhead such that it passes the butt end of the handle as it passes your zipper. Avoid driving that handle DOWN and HARD. That will get your arms too involved and limit your wrists. You'll end up right back where you started. LET the oily wrist thing do its thing and just let the clubhead fly past the butt end of the handle as gets more toward your LEAD leg and let that clubhead fly past the hands. This will give you shaft lean, compress the ball, you'll hit ball-first, and the ball will see a lowered loft of the clubface at impact.

2) High handed finish. Just as that trail hand (as it flies up the follow-through plane) signals square, hooked, or sliced brands of impact, so goes the actual finish pose of high-ballers. They tend to finish very high handed - often WAY up over the head. Some are approaching the old reverse C type finish. More "normal" trajectories come with a finish where the clubshaft finishes lower and more to the left of the golfer without forcing it there. How we plan to finish the swing can actually affect the swing itself.

3) Sway. This is another one of those things that just gets "pulled" into better action once the oily wrist thing is good. But by itself, the more we sway off the ball going back the more we have way toward the target going back through. A little or a lot of sway in either direction - changes how much loft the clubhead puts on the ball at impact. The golfer who struggles with changing ball flight trajectory based on ball position MIGHT be fighting sway. Why? Cause his eye sees the ball where it is - forward or back - and his brain just signals him to sways more, or less, accordingly. Sometimes the entire body shifts away from the ball going back, then on the downswing, the lower body glides toward the target whilst the upper body gets left back there behind the ball. This drives that trail shoulder DOWN really dramatically during the downswing, causing the unhinging of the wrists and hands to occur over the back foot rather than the front one. This adds loft to the club at impact. (Could also be where the happy feet are born - I dunno). The fix? If the trail knee floats over the trail foot going back, you sway away from target. If the lead knee and hip fly HARD at the target in transition (versus a nice smooth gentle move in transition) the ball in effect moves BACKWARD relative to where that clubhead's release occurs. There is simply going to be "some" sway in a golf swing. We live on two legs and own only one central spine. It's in there and it's going to happen. The trick is to keep it down to a usable and helpful minimum. As goes the knees, so goes the hips and lower body action. A great grip and setup predispose this crap to happen on auto-pilot. But it can take a little effort to tame it down if this one is a contributor. (My kingdom for a swing video).

Can only come up with one more.

E) TENSION: Obviously it's bad - lol. It ruins tempo and rhythm. Restricts the backswing, Destroys a smooth transition. It drives us to manipulate and force things that otherwise could just flow from start to finish. It can live almost anywhere in the body from setup to any point at anytime once we're in motion. It's almost metaphysical on a lot of levels. It contributes to injury. It contributes to all forms of ball flight control issues. It actually SLOWS clubhead speed rather than enabling it. (And I find it interesting whenever folks actually argue that it's unavoidable). Just put it out there cause it, all by itself is an area of exploration. Things inside the grip, setup and motion can have a "set" and even "move" without tensing up.

There you go my friend. It's in there somewhere. Maybe from the list above you're an B-2, C,3, D-1 guy. Might be a different combination to your individual lock.

Think of it this way. The low ball hitter stands closer than usual, hands/handle a little lifted, sets up with his shoulders more level, and tends to cut his follow-through off a bit shorter. We're talking about the flip side of the same coin.

Have fun!

(Got to run - will edit for spelling and such later tonight). (And have done so at this point). It probably seems like a lot. All we're after is getting the ball to see less loft at impact. And there aren't but so many major influencers to that.

Fella,

Before going down the list of usual suspects in trajectory management - I wanted to state two or three things first and foremost.

A) The usual anti-troll qualifiers. I don't own teaching credentials. Don't drive it 350 yards. This makes me an idiot.

B) I'm 1000% better at this when I see a DTL and FO (both) video of several swings with several clubs. Ladle on top of that some simple back and forth dialog for a week or two, and far better things happen far more quickly and efficiently. Not asking you for that. In fact don't do it if your at all hesitant. What I can do is give you a list of "suspects". Some of them in combination, perhaps one or two primarily, will allow you to become your own best coach. It's like a combination lock. I'll give you the numbers and you can freely experiment inside which one or ones are "it" - for you personally.

C) There is absolutely NOTHING that will come from me in the next post that supersedes GRIP - AND that wrist thing you went out and tried. NOTHING. Those two things alone have their way of pulling other things with them. Incredibly, even feet and knee work go on to be influenced by that wrist and release business. It would seem on the surface that one thing would be completely independent of (example) feet and knee work. But amazingly, once your wrists and release are really good, your subconscious will get your entire body to do what must be done to go with it. There were a ton of subtle ques that went with what we were talking about during that stretch of posts. The smooth transition, the way the wrists NOT THE ARMS get that clubhead to fly past the butt end of the handle, how we are actually managing a waist-high to waist-high area to let the moment of impact take care of itself, and how halfway up the follow-through plane there can be a trail (right) hand that's shaking hands versus a palm-down or palm-up condition. That thing is a MONSTER and absolutely nothing else - other than perhaps how we grip it takes priority. In fact - anything and everything that follows must act in SUPPORT of that grip and wrist business or it shouldn't be even attempted.

"C" above will need to be the umbrella under which all other things live. I say this because I know for a fact you experienced it. It's NOT a one-bucket wonder. All by itself, it gives rise to a very long list of other good things, and STILL you can be yourself and swing your swing without wondering how it looks, or fits-in with the ball flight lawyers and purists say-so.

OK. With these three key points now made, standby to receive a "list" to explore.

Oh and one more quick thing... I agree with Stu as to finding good things through practice. And there's no way in Hades I'd challenge what he says about tuning clubs. Just want to suggest that the thousands of hours and balls hit in practice might just take less thousands (by a long shot) once we're actually approaching things with a purposeful road map. Rabbit holes are frustrating. They don't travel from practice to play. Good things are fun to apply and shorten that frustration. Even if ultimate improvements are spotty, the golfer KNOWS he's on to something good and enjoys his journey more. Had to put that one out there as I know what a hair-trigger many golfers have about being averse to trying and failing. Towels get thrown in and white flags wave at the drop of a hat when it comes to this stuff.

We absolutely CAN make more solid contact with that ball. Maybe not at the level the pros do, but the Sunday golfer CAN navigate his way to at least a little more fun in ball striking once he's open to exploring it. Who cares if he did or didn't get there so dramatically he's featured in Golf Magazine and suddenly earning his living inside the ropes? It's about the journey not the headlines. :)

Now I am not infallible on tuning clubs sometimes theory goes out the window from the shop to the course. Trust me I have at least 3 staff bags full of screw ups. I save them to salvage shafts and grips. On the practice thing practice with a purpose. Good example was earlier today. I was doing some serious putting drills with the CD disc ( eye alignment) the alignment sticks and chalk line. Since I have gotten older and do not play or practice as much I do have to check my putting alignment. Got in the far corner of the putting green away from everyone but there was no one there for a while. Then a couple of old fart snowbirds came and of course had the whole other 3/4 of the green but had to make a nuisance of themselves getting into my peripheral vision etc. Of course as usual they had no clue and I will admit it is a public course. One of them said something to the fact about me working like I do. I told him that was why most golfers can not break 90 they do not practice with a purpose. I kept on working and they finally shuffled off . Even when I am on the range just loosening up I am practicing with a purpose. It will not be mechanics but isometrics in other words keeping my ancient muscles working. Even if I am on the range hitting the vintage stuff I am working and keeping mental notes on what I need to do to that club. If I am seriously dialing in a set I have built it sometimes will be extended time. If i go to just bang balls then I might as well stay at home or in the shop. When I practice on the range or short game I give myself tough lies on purpose. I remember one day I had a tough lie on the practice area and hit what was an acceptable shot for me from that lie. One of the smarta** old fart members remarked that was not very good. I told him I was a good enough putter that I could make that putt wanna bet 50? Then my ranger buddy who gave me that lie told him for 50 he would put the ball where I hit from and bet he could not get it out of that lie much less up and down. When I practice up and down around the green I use 3 balls from different lies and then putt them out.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Did anyone watch Saturday's golf in Mexico? Wow, that was some really bad putting by the chasers but I now know why I miss those little ones. I play on bumpy afternoon Poa Annua greens. No wonder Tiger hates that stuff. I just thought I was bad but now I have a perfectly good excuse. One thing I have learned over time is that the best putters on that stuff just step up and ram it in. I envy one of the guys we play with that almost never worries about the comebackers and rarely leaves putts short. I on the other hand will t!tty tremble those short ones down there at fall in speed and miss them when they fall to the left or right because late in the day the hole is raised a little from all the steps around it and the bumps caused by the Poa growing at a faster rate than the other grass in our greens. Guys out early have an advantage.

Yes I agree, that’s if I understand what you are saying. Brain not working today had a hard day Sunday.

My six ft putts have a far greater chance of going in than my six inch putts, for some reason I panic on the really short ones, perhaps it’s the expectation from your playing partner that they should go in easy. Last year I went through a period where all my long attempts were either dropping in or leaving them really close, lasted a few months then zip, all gone, same as the rest of my game.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

A wild weather day here. The "Bomb Cyclone" arrived. A squall line of thunderstorms rumbled through about 6:00 a.m. The winds really picked up in intensity about 10 a.m., blowing a steady 30 m.p.h. There were reportedly peak wind gusts in excess of 65 m.p.h. The entire house was creaking on several occasions. Then it started snowing. Crazy! Loss power about 12:30, waited about a half hour, then went out and fired up the generator. Able to have heat and lights, cook dinner, keep the fam on the grid. And watch my Spartans lay a hardcourt whoop'n on the Wolvies @ A2. Always extra sweet to grab a W in their house.

The power came back on awhile ago. Does seem to be blowing quite as hard as prior, although it's still snowing. I'm so ready for Spring!!!! This shizzle is getting old.

Reason, I've briefed though all that you've posted. But need to reread, process and absorb. I'm a bit tired out to respond tonight. Need some quiet, brainless down time.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Fella,

Now I am not infallible on tuning clubs sometimes theory goes out the window from the shop to the course. Trust me I have at least 3 staff bags full of screw ups. I save them to salvage shafts and grips. On the practice thing practice with a purpose. Good example was earlier today. I was doing some serious putting drills with the CD disc ( eye alignment) the alignment sticks and chalk line. Since I have gotten older and do not play or practice as much I do have to check my putting alignment. Got in the far corner of the putting green away from everyone but there was no one there for a while. Then a couple of old fart snowbirds came and of course had the whole other 3/4 of the green but had to make a nuisance of themselves getting into my peripheral vision etc. Of course as usual they had no clue and I will admit it is a public course. One of them said something to the fact about me working like I do. I told him that was why most golfers can not break 90 they do not practice with a purpose. I kept on working and they finally shuffled off . Even when I am on the range just loosening up I am practicing with a purpose. It will not be mechanics but isometrics in other words keeping my ancient muscles working. Even if I am on the range hitting the vintage stuff I am working and keeping mental notes on what I need to do to that club. If I am seriously dialing in a set I have built it sometimes will be extended time. If i go to just bang balls then I might as well stay at home or in the shop. When I practice on the range or short game I give myself tough lies on purpose. I remember one day I had a tough lie on the practice area and hit what was an acceptable shot for me from that lie. One of the smarta** old fart members remarked that was not very good. I told him I was a good enough putter that I could make that putt wanna bet 50? Then my ranger buddy who gave me that lie told him for 50 he would put the ball where I hit from and bet he could not get it out of that lie much less up and down. When I practice up and down around the green I use 3 balls from different lies and then putt them out.

When I read these type of post from you, it immediately takes me back to my coaching days. No matter what the sport practice with purpose is the only way if you are serious about any advancement, I used to insist on minute changes in hand position, leg position off balance procedures. I was quite often told I was being too fussy but when we went to championships and came away with first and second in every division I think my methods spoke for themselves. There are always those ready to put you down even when they have no idea what you are trying, I just tell them to mind their own business and stuff off.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

A wild weather day here. The "Bomb Cyclone" arrived. A squall line of thunderstorms rumbled through about 6:00 a.m. The winds really picked up in intensity about 10 a.m., blowing a steady 30 m.p.h. There were reportedly peak wind gusts in excess of 65 m.p.h. The entire house was creaking on several occasions. Then it started snowing. Crazy! Loss power about 12:30, waited about a half hour, then went out and fired up the generator. Able to have heat and lights, cook dinner, keep the fam on the grid. And watch my Spartans lay a hardcourt whoop'n on the Wolvies @ A2. Always extra sweet to grab a W in their house.

The power came back on awhile ago. Does seem to be blowing quite as hard as prior, although it's still snowing. I'm so ready for Spring!!!! This shizzle is getting old.

Reason, I've briefed though all that you've posted. But need to reread, process and absorb. I'm a bit tired out to respond tonight. Need some quiet, brainless down time.

We've been getting that same wind here all day, and it's blowing as I type. I would guess we're sending it over to Wrigs as well. Looks like we're going to get it still thru the night. I don't like the wind like that, branches come down, sometimes the electric goes out, ugh...

We've been getting that same wind here all day, and it's blowing as I type. I would guess we're sending it over to Wrigs as well. Looks like we're going to get it still thru the night. I don't like the wind like that, branches come down, sometimes the electric goes out, ugh...

You and us both, cyclone still sitting about 800 miles off the coast, downgrading today to a tropical low system, missed all the rain but getting all the wind. We can do without the wind but am desperate for the rain.

The really good bit Sixty is you do not have to go out in it tomorrow.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Sixty,

Sounds corny but this time it truly applies. "Today is the first day, of the rest of your life."

Now the fun begins. Books you've wanted to read, golf you've wanted to play, doo-dads around the house you've wanted to tackle, words you've waited to write, naps you've longed to take, people you've yet to (but will) spend time with, and interests you didn't even know you had will all have time to flourish.

You're free. Enjoy it in all it's glory my friend. Better get yourself some sort of day planner. Your dance card is about to fill up.

Rad, the next person who wants my vote for office will promise to tackle any/all of the following:

- predatory telemarketing

- scam emails

- identity theft

- solicitations made to lines federally registered as Do Not Call

This crap has destroyed people's lives, undermined phone companies, in-home land lines, privacy, and common decency. It's terrorism. It's a threat to homeland security.. Calls can be traced. Serious crime investigations always point to phone call records, and even electronic (email) source. This epidemic and systemic problem has a solution.

It can be done. These scam artists could be nailed to the wall. Anyone looking for my vote needs to bust that move.

Gavel down!

pl

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

It’s called having a seniors moment, have a few of those myself. :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

When I read these type of post from you, it immediately takes me back to my coaching days. No matter what the sport practice with purpose is the only way if you are serious about any advancement, I used to insist on minute changes in hand position, leg position off balance procedures. I was quite often told I was being too fussy but when we went to championships and came away with first and second in every division I think my methods spoke for themselves. There are always those ready to put you down even when they have no idea what you are trying,

It's (for me) an absolute fact I'll never bomb a drive 350 yards. Have never had a hole-in-one. I'm dumb as a stump compared to these other gents when it comes to tuning clubs, building clubbs, and equipment options. The world's best swing analysts and swing coaches could run rings around me. I'm very capable of making poor shots and missed putts. I've never played inside the ropes and never will. Don't own any credentials whatsoever qualifying me to say a single word about any of it. My lowly arse could vaporize tomorrow and the world would keep right on turning without me, golf-wise or otherwise.

BUT...

None of the above disqualifies me from having an absolute blast learning. The more I think I know the dumber I get. With a little luck I never will have all the answers. If I were to relate it to painting, there will never be that final and ultimate last blank canvas. They sit there individually waiting for some new and unique exploring to unfold. This is probably why your paintings fascinate us. We see your expression and how you turned the complexities of color and light and shadow into something clear and worthwhile. And you did so very purposefully, artistically, one moment at a time. You turned a concept into something very real.

Those who would rather not drill so deep into swingology quite frankly are to be equally respected. This game means very different things to very different people. No need to hold a lecture series given that fact. Let's have our fun and allow one another to play on no matter what specifically one of sees as more or less important about it.. Our fraternity isn't built on how we swing the club. It's built on simple respect and camaraderie. For that reason alone, I do appreciate you guys' tolerance of my sometimes peculiar passions.

And 'Yes', it all doesn't have to be purposeful but it sure helps. 'YES' - a man can look ridiculous with his alignment sticks, or chalk lines, or experiments that fly golf balls everywhere as he explores. 'YES' we're all getting older. 'NO' - None of us are going to be rich and famous from tweaking our swings. Might even get frustrated trying.

Thankfully, all the above are true. Wouldn't have it any other way.

Rad, the next person who wants my vote for office will promise to tackle any/all of the following:

- predatory telemarketing

- scam emails

- identity theft

- solicitations made to lines federally registered as Do Not Call

This crap has destroyed people's lives, undermined phone companies, in-home land lines, privacy, and common decency. It's terrorism. It's a threat to homeland security.. Calls can be traced. Serious crime investigations always point to phone call records, and even electronic (email) source. This epidemic and systemic problem has a solution.

It can be done. These scam artists could be nailed to the wall. Anyone looking for my vote needs to bust that move.

Gavel down!

It can be done but for them it’s not a priority as it does not collect enough votes to make it worth their time.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Obviously suffering diarrhea of the post button here tonight, so what's one more before turning in???

There may well be a short in my personal wiring and I wanted to bounce it off the Grillesters to see what you guys think.

May be there's something wrong with me but I don't have to hit a great shot to appreciate one. LOVE hitting one, but I'm honestly and genuinely happy when a playing partner gets it done. I don't have to "win" either.

Now make no mistake about it, if my grandmother walked out there and puts a club in her hands, I'll stomp a mud hole in her arse if it's within my ability that day. And if she wants strokes I'll make her sorry she asked.

But, I've been absolutely annihilated out there many times. Just embarrassingly drummed.... and had me a blast. Always saw it as living to fight another day. Always enjoyed someone else's good play even when my game or shots were not going well. If I'm doing well, I want it to hold up under good competition. But the act of losing just simply does not break my heart even a little bit.

How is possible, a golfer would play to win and NEVER take his foot off the throttle when winning.... and yet be absolutely cool with seeing others do well and win???

Something inside all of that just doesn't add up, no????

Obviously suffering diarrhea of the post button here tonight, so what's one more before turning in???

There may well be a short in my personal wiring and I wanted to bounce it off the Grillesters to see what you guys think.

May be there's something wrong with me but I don't have to hit a great shot to appreciate one. LOVE hitting one, but I'm honestly and genuinely happy when a playing partner gets it done. I don't have to "win" either.

Now make no mistake about it, if my grandmother walked out there and puts a club in her hands, I'll stomp a mud hole in her arse if it's within my ability that day. And if she wants strokes I'll make her sorry she asked.

But, I've been absolutely annihilated out there many times. Just embarrassingly drummed.... and had me a blast. Always saw it as living to fight another day. Always enjoyed someone else's good play even when my game or shots were not going well. If I'm doing well, I want it to hold up under good competition. But the act of losing just simply does not break my heart even a little bit.

How is possible, a golfer would play to win and NEVER take his foot off the throttle when winning.... and yet be absolutely cool with seeing others do well and win???

Something inside all of that just doesn't add up, no????

Reasy, what you have to do is learn to LET GO, I always play golf against myself, I try to beat my best score, par holes I have never parred. I always say well done to my playing partners but I really could not care less how they score. When the day is over I look back at what I did and try to see where I could have done better.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Sixty,

Sounds corny but this time it truly applies. "Today is the first day, of the rest of your life."

Now the fun begins. Books you've wanted to read, golf you've wanted to play, doo-dads around the house you've wanted to tackle, words you've waited to write, naps you've longed to take, people you've yet to (but will) spend time with, and interests you didn't even know you had will all have time to flourish.

You're free. Enjoy it in all it's glory my friend. Better get yourself some sort of day planner. Your dance card is about to fill up.

How true. I'm sitting here in my p.j.'s drinking a cup of coffee, it's closing in on 5:00 AM My DW is about to leave for work. I'm about to not leave for work. Weird.

I did have strange dreams, I think the wind did't help. In one of them, Rad was a professional baseball player. I'm not sure if Alabama had a team or not. But he was about to play a night game in Pittsburgh, and we lived in Pitts (hey Wrigs, we could play golf) so Rad and Cobi were gonna stay at our house- he had to get a hall pass to not stay with the team. He was a left-fielder. The game never actually happened.

There was another guy in the dream, Monkey Halterman. When I was a kid, before we moved to NY, (everybody must've had one of these types in their lives) we had a kid who kinda looked like a monkey. He would get on the school bus every morning and we would say "Hi Monkey" or something like that. It would always make him feel bad I'm sure then he wouldn't say much. We would love it and keep doing it. One day he got on the bus and said "Hi gang, it's me, Monkey Halterman". We looked at each other befuddled. It took the fun away, and we stopped after that. I asked him later why he said that. Seems his genius highly intelligent father engineer at Rockwell had told him to do some reverse engineering, and tell us first that he was Monkey Halterman in a fun way, and smile. Well, when he did, it worked, and we quit. No more monkey business I guess...He's probably a billionaire by now. Or a zookeeper, no wait, I didn't mean that :dntknw:

Very windy here all Sunday into Monday. A lot of wind damage in the Pittsburgh area. according to the news. My Walmart cover on my Lebaron blew off last evening. Wonder how it didn't come off sooner. I spent my Sunday picking up the stuff that blew from the neighbors. All my neighbors are clueless. Didn't see one neighbor out securing his property.

Hope I didn't lose any shingles.

Sixty,

How true. I'm sitting here in my p.j.'s drinking a cup of coffee, it's closing in on 5:00 AM My DW is about to leave for work. I'm about to not leave for work. Weird.

I did have strange dreams, I think the wind did't help. In one of them, Rad was a professional baseball player. I'm not sure if Alabama had a team or not. But he was about to play a night game in Pittsburgh, and we lived in Pitts (hey Wrigs, we could play golf) so Rad and Cobi were gonna stay at our house- he had to get a hall pass to not stay with the team. He was a left-fielder. The game never actually happened.

There was another guy in the dream, Monkey Halterman. When I was a kid, before we moved to NY, (everybody must've had one of these types in their lives) we had a kid who kinda looked like a monkey. He would get on the school bus every morning and we would say "Hi Monkey" or something like that. It would always make him feel bad I'm sure then he wouldn't say much. We would love it and keep doing it. One day he got on the bus and said "Hi gang, it's me, Monkey Halterman". We looked at each other befuddled. It took the fun away, and we stopped after that. I asked him later why he said that. Seems his genius highly intelligent father engineer at Rockwell had told him to do some reverse engineering, and tell us first that he was Monkey Halterman in a fun way, and smile. Well, when he did, it worked, and we quit. No more monkey business I guess...He's probably a billionaire by now. Or a zookeeper, no wait, I didn't mean that :dntknw:

Back in junior high and high school, my nickname was Chick, or some variation, Chicky, Chicadee, or Chingee. (A guy who DID look like a monkey called me the Chingee variant. He later drowned or was drowned a few years after HS.) During Reserve duty, I was monickered Huey, probably for the big, baby cartoon duck of the same name. If anyone asked, I told them I was named for the helicopter, UE.

Anyhow, really hated those names at first. When the company commander calls you Huey. you're Huey.

I actually enjoyed the stupid nicknames after a while. I recall guys playing harmless tricks and jokes on me in service. I'd feign anger, and answer in my most frustrated tone, "I could just scream!"

The guys would laugh and have their fun. No one ever caught on that I picked that quote from McHale's Navy. Captain Binghamton used it often.

After a while, I got tired of reacting, and quit. The pranks ended. One guy asked me, why I didn't get upset. I just said I didn't care. He said it wasn't fun if I didn't get angry. I told him I'd get angry once in a while.

Monkey's Dad was right on the dot.

But the nicknames were there to stay.

Reminds me of a reserve story. We were on weekend drill, a special event at Fort Bragg, where the battalion was flown in by AF transport. The three day weekend was uneventful, just the usual nonsense. We cooks were assigned to one of the mess halls in camp. On Sunday morning, we were all lounging about. I had opened a new package of pipe tobacco, and placed it in my front pants pocket. Somehow, the pouch fell out of my pocket. Looking about for it later, I found it broken open, and tobacco strewn in the trash can. Livid, I showed it to one of the cooks. He looked at me, horrified, "Huey, we wouldn't do that to you. There's only one guy in the kitchen that would, BIll."

I agreed, and told him I would do nothing. Bill was first cook, just under the Sergeant, and Bill was a rat. Couldn't prove anything, but Bill was always complaining about the aroma of my pipe tobacco.

As Kelly Bundy might say, "Bill, get a yeast infection."

pl

SLED Gemini

Looking out the Grille window I can see some inklings of spring. Some grounds crew out picking up downed branches. Some kind of crew checking out cart paths-new paving this year? Gus has Sourdough bread bowls today with several kinds of soup, your choice of fillings for lunch, broccoli/cheddar cheese soup, french onion soup, cheesy sloppy Joe, Philly cheese-steak, Jalapeno/spinach soup, homemade tomato soup, corn & chicken chowder. Gus's cousin was in for the weekend from Poughkeepsie and helped prepare some of the soups... He and his wife own a little healthy sandwich and soup place called 'For Soupness Sake'.

pl

SLED Gemini

Snowed all day Sun. Snowed all day Mon. 15 deg.F here this morning. Mrs. scotee is done. She is not waiting for my full retirement. Driving to Portland tomorrow and then off to the land of Sand and Coconuts :) This better be gone when we get home!

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

Snowed all day Sun. Snowed all day Mon. 15 deg.F here this morning. Mrs. scotee is done. She is not waiting for my full retirement. Driving to Portland tomorrow and then off to the land of Sand and Coconuts :) This better be gone when we get home!

PL - Please lug golf clubs on your trip. And relive it all here for us.

Enjoy, safe travels, and you will be missed. Also, avoid the limbo. Tends to scorch important things. (Or so I've heard.)

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)