2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

pl

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

pl

SLED Gemini

pl

SLED Gemini

My current driver is the only club that was "fit" for me. On the indoor launch monitor I was told that I had too little spin. I know the trend is for low spin on drivers but if you don't have 100+ speed it is likely you will not have too much spin. My best was mid to high 90's so it was recommended that I have a shaft with lower kick point and that I did not need the head with the adjustable front to back weights. Also a higher spin ball like a Pro V is fine for me as well. I still hit driver pretty well with good distance for my age but not like I did 10 or 15 years ago. I can one hop into the fence at the range where I used to flirt with the top of the net. Rad can you call somebody and get me some pills? :)

If I find those pills I'll take some myself too.....and then I'll be able to hit those much maligned

balloon shots. Until then I'll need a stiff headwind to accomplish the task.

SLED Gemini

Rain in the forecast every day but 1 through Mar 4...........Geez

Tallassee, AL 10 Day Weather

10:34 pm CST

Print

DAY

DESCRIPTION HIGH / LOW PRECIP WIND HUMIDITY

TONIGHT

FEB 18 Cloudy

--47°

20% NE 9 mph 53%

TUE

FEB 19 Rain

51°47°

70% E 15 mph 69%

WED

FEB 20 PM Rain

67°64°

80% SE 11 mph 87%

THU

FEB 21 Thunderstorms

75°62°

90% WSW 5 mph 83%

FRI

FEB 22 Thunderstorms

79°62°

90% SSE 6 mph 82%

SAT

FEB 23 Cloudy

80°63°

20% SSE 10 mph 74%

SUN

FEB 24 AM Thunderstorms

70°48°

80% W 9 mph 61%

MON

FEB 25 PM Showers

65°53°

60% NE 6 mph 57%

TUE

FEB 26 Showers

67°58°

60% ESE 8 mph 79%

WED

FEB 27 Scattered Thunderstorms

70°50°

50% SW 7 mph 79%

THU

FEB 28 Showers

63°45°

40% NNW 7 mph 63%

FRI

MAR 1 Showers

61°43°

40% NNW 6 mph 58%

SAT

MAR 2 Showers

60°41°

50% NNW 7 mph 55%

SUN

MAR 3 AM Showers

61°42°

40% NNW 8 mph 57%

MON

MAR 4 Showers

64°46°

40% SE 6 mph 58%

• Weather

• Temperature

• Wind

•  

SLED Gemini

Really getting tired of winter. Supposed to get into the 40's this week, we'll see. Called the Club manager yesterday afternoon. We talked awhile. She told me, one of the Board members ( a lady) passed away last week, had a stroke. She was 82.

Talked to the Board president last week. He went on and on about this and that. I don't know how the Club will be open in the Spring. He talked about raising prices for public play and such, bringing leagues, etc. Doesn't think dues should be raised. Every time dues were raised, the resignations exceeded the additional revenue.

We'll see.

My current driver is the only club that was "fit" for me. On the indoor launch monitor I was told that I had too little spin. I know the trend is for low spin on drivers but if you don't have 100+ speed it is likely you will not have too much spin. My best was mid to high 90's so it was recommended that I have a shaft with lower kick point and that I did not need the head with the adjustable front to back weights. Also a higher spin ball like a Pro V is fine for me as well. I still hit driver pretty well with good distance for my age but not like I did 10 or 15 years ago. I can one hop into the fence at the range where I used to flirt with the top of the net. Rad can you call somebody and get me some pills? :)

If I find those pills I'll take some myself too.....and then I'll be able to hit those much maligned

balloon shots. Until then I'll need a stiff headwind to accomplish the task.

What are those pills the former baseball player touts? Says all us old farts including him lose testorone past age 40. Do not know if it is BS or not. Of course seriously I would consult with my MD before I did any of that stuff and also check if it would show positive on a drug test.

I aint trucking today I am home sick head was pounding. I think I have the flu--- Going to the Doc later on

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

On the distance front, my guess is that the bulk of the gain is with the ball. I say this because i have yet to hit a driver that i can consistently hit further than my old TM R7 425 which is pushing on 14 years old now. Further to that, the longest drive I have ever hit was with a now nearly 25 year old club in a small steel headed Callaway Big Bertha War bird and i actually hit that drive in the past five years.

Now that's not to say that there hasn't been some advances in the newer clubs, but as Rad alluded to; once the maximum head size and COR were set, that was going to be it for a flushed hit on the sweet spot. What has changed in more recent years with drivers is the ability to fine tune to a repeatable swing, hence the apparent gains that we're seeing with the pros, although after watching yesterday they aren't really hitting it quite as far as these commentators are letting on.

The modern clubs are also more forgiving as in the sweet spots are bigger and you're going to get a better distance result from a mishit. Whether that is helpful on the golf course is another matter. In most cases I suspect that it is for the typical player as they rarely hit the sweet spot, so as long as the club face is square to target the added forgiveness is going to be a bonus. Will it lower your score? Maybe. More than likely it will just convince you not to move up a tee box as you will continue to think that you haven't really lost the distance that you have as we all get older.

As for the ball; well they're not all created equal either as I'm beginning to find out in my recent putting practices, but that's the subject for another post...

I will tell you something that old TM 425 is as a good of a driver as anything made today twisted sister face and jailbird technology included. And yes I have a couple in my stash. There are a certain contingent of retirees at a neighboring course that still play those along with Eye2s. Those old farts are still players trust me. In fact I had 3 of those drivers all of them junkpile finds. One of the guys finally cracked his and called me in a panic. I gave him one of the ones in my stash and even installed his old Pro Force V-2 senior flex shaft in it too. Both the Quad and the other one still have a cult following in certain circles here along with the TM 300 and V-Steel fairways.

pl

SLED Gemini

Sure hoping Big Stu gets past his big bug soon. There's some brand of winter illness floating around this year that lingers while raising complete hell on the head and chest. Have seen many around me including the wife doing battle with it for a couple of weeks at a clip. No fun. Folks I've seen going thru it are functional within a couple of days, but wear the walking zombies t-shirt for at least a week or two.

Note to Mrs. Stu:

He's not mad. Nothing's wrong or weighing on his mind. He's still in there. He's just flying through the deep fog and will pop back out into the sunshine once he flies through it.

pl

SLED Gemini

Weather here not dramatically different than Radro's forecast. Maybe a titch colder but about the same.

But my friends. A warmer day is coming. Like Scotee, my only truly fitted club is my driver. And while my trumpet is also in the closet - and with it lay the dreams of taking over for Doc Severinsen - one promise for the future remains on the near horizon. That driver will herald in the new golf season in a matter of countable days.

If you're wondering where the poetic prose were born amid today's dreary sleet, it was birthed as the hope of spring flew forward whilst watching this....

It's almost here boys. Magnolia Lane awaits and she's going to be traveled soon. (Jim Nance has got nothing on me - lol).

Hang tough Grillesters. Our day is coming.

I am regretting posting that pic of my golf cart and talking about how I can play year round up here in the Northwest. We had a perfectly nice mild winter until then. Now we are having late Feb. snow. Just enough to keep us off of the course and make me shovel a little snow at home and quite a bit of snow up here at the office. Supposed to get 6-10 inches tonight and tomorrow. I did see a flock of Robins that are back so maybe. Hope so. Can't wait. Will have to wait. No choice. Think Spring!

Turn the mass

OGA member #15

Lord help me to be the person my dog thinks I am

I am regretting posting that pic of my golf cart and talking about how I can play year round up here in the Northwest. We had a perfectly nice mild winter until then. Now we are having late Feb. snow. Just enough to keep us off of the course and make me shovel a little snow at home and quite a bit of snow up here at the office. Supposed to get 6-10 inches tonight and tomorrow. I did see a flock of Robins that are back so maybe. Hope so. Can't wait. Will have to wait. No choice. Think Spring!

Not to worry Scotee. No regrets necessary at all.

Mother Nature always has her day anywhere we live on this planet. Hawaii would be great, until a volcano erupts. So Cal - earthquakes. The southeastern US gets all four seasons and all four slap us silly at times. Tornado alley in the central US. Bitter wind and cold to the north. Blazing heat and sun toward the desert. Typhoons assaulting our old buddy Hammer. Even Tol faces the fury of Mother Nature's wrath when she's good and ready to bust a move.

That ultimate paradise just doesn't exist. At least not in this life. Still, some places do tend to serve up a little more golf weather than others. I'm one lotto ticket from owning properties in each of them. :golfer:

Sure hoping Big Stu gets past his big bug soon. There's some brand of winter illness floating around this year that lingers while raising complete hell on the head and chest. Have seen many around me including the wife doing battle with it for a couple of weeks at a clip. No fun. Folks I've seen going thru it are functional within a couple of days, but wear the walking zombies t-shirt for at least a week or two.

Note to Mrs. Stu:

He's not mad. Nothing's wrong or weighing on his mind. He's still in there. He's just flying through the deep fog and will pop back out into the sunshine once he flies through it.

LOL she got sick before I did--- I am feeling ok right now have been resting --- And yesterday morning I was ok early but on the trip back got to feeling bad and in like a fog. When I got to the yard I pulled myself out of the truck for of course safety reasons. Our part time driver whom I trained on the dumps ran my truck yesterday afternoon and today. But I am feeling ok now may go back tomorrow if I feel like it. Right now I feel like it but do not want to push the issue.

Weather here not dramatically different than Radro's forecast. Maybe a titch colder but about the same.

But my friends. A warmer day is coming. Like Scotee, my only truly fitted club is my driver. And while my trumpet is also in the closet - and with it lay the dreams of taking over for Doc Severinsen - one promise for the future remains on the near horizon. That driver will herald in the new golf season in a matter of countable days.

If you're wondering where the poetic prose were born amid today's dreary sleet, it was birthed as the hope of spring flew forward whilst watching this....

It's almost here boys. Magnolia Lane awaits and she's going to be traveled soon. (Jim Nance has got nothing on me - lol).

[media=]

[/media]

Hang tough Grillesters. Our day is coming.

I do not give two hoots what the meteorologists or the calendar makers say ---- Spring officially begins for me Masters Week but I can remember one year when I lived in Gaffney we got snow on the Friday of Masters week had to be around 95 or 96. i remember my buddy from Charlotte was down there and he called me "Is it really snowing in Gaffney and Charlotte?" No joke I told him it is.

Which ever year that was it was crazy weather wise. Later on in the year we were running the Annual Blue Gray race which is usually a couple of weeks before Thanksgiving. We qualified and ran heat races on Saturday. That Saturday it was in the 70s and I remember hearing the track announcer say he hoped we got the race in that Sunday before the snow and ice storm. I asked my buddy " WTH has he been smoking?" That Sunday morning I got up early to do prep and run up on the car and it was warm. Got all that done by 8:00 and went inside to get a cup of coffee and throw some ham and stuff on the stove for the guys. i had been in about an hour or so and one of my racing buds called from Spartanburg. Asked me if it was snowing up there? I asked him had he been smoking dope with Walter ( the track announcer). Went outside and the temp had dropped and fine flakes were coming down. In about 20 minutes large flakes about the size of a quarter were coming down. I remember my priest from the Episcopal church called. He was a gearhead and helped me some. He had gotten another Priest to do services for that Sunday ( cool huh?). I asked him where he was. He told me in his office. I told him look outside. He replied "is this a bad dream" nope I told him come on over anyhow I had country ham and grits going. Funny thing about that was he was originally Canadian and had never ate country ham ,grits and red eye gravy until he met me. he loved the stuff. Besides I told him I needed help with the phone. Since I lived across the interstate from the track everyone called me for weather reports. You know some guys had to tow from 60 miles away. The phone was blowing up. We never got that race ran that year because the next 3 weekends it snowed or iced including Thanksgiving weekend---- I think we ran it in January the next year

Geez, almost a full calender day has passed. Can't let our beloved Grille go that long

without a single post from anyone.

Somebody call someone.................

SLED Gemini

I'm just nobody trying to tell everybody about somebody.

SLED Gemini

Geez, almost a full calender day has passed. Can't let our beloved Grille go that long

But, you're the man. You know the Powers That Be. You have a direct line to Someone. It all rests with you.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

But, you're the man. You know the Powers That Be. You have a direct line to Someone. It all rests with you.

Yep, I called the Powers That Be...................you and Da Judge. Da Judge will be posting soon too. I made

the clarion call...............and you responded.

SLED Gemini

I'm just nobody trying to tell everybody about somebody.

I hear ya Pardo. You're not alone, tho. Old axe-murdering Reason is present and accounted for.

So as I recall you're a fan of PL blue shafts. (Great segue, eh?). PL as in Pro Launch I presume? Got any experience with them in irons, or just driver???

Well...DAY-UM!

[media=]

[/media]

Nope. Not possible. It's voodoo, magic, slight of hand. She's a witch. Just look at those fingernails. I could hurt somebody with those things.

Well...DAY-UM!

[media=]

[/media]

Nope. Not possible. It's voodoo, magic, slight of hand. She's a witch. Just look at those fingernails. I could hurt somebody with those things.

Lol - no doubt on all fronts.

Ya know that abyss right next to the driver's seat? The one that gravitationally sucks in pens, coins, paper money, ATM cards, keys ???? She never has that problem. This lady could extract a pea caught in the middle of a vacuum cleaner hose!

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)