2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Sixty, sorry to hear about the event ! Those can really drain you !

All the wedge talk brings up a question i have been meaning to ask: Has anyone hit the Glide wedges? Like you guys,

I am in favor of some game improvement equipment in that area. A friend has two of them, 50 and 54 i believe...he has

to give up the game and has offered the wedges at a good cost. Appreciate any comments.

Merry Christmas to all you guys, and I hope you all gain 10 pound from all the eating and watching ballgames the next 10 days !

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Sorry to hear you had a set back Sixty, hope it settles down again, be positive my friend thoughts and prayers with you.

Hank, always difficult losing someone from a loving family especially when they have been together so long. I know how your sister feels but can also empathise with your father, don’t know what would happen to my mind if I was in the same position as ours was also one of those love at first sight events.

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

First breakfast of the festive season this morning, we started several years ago with our pancakes and bacon, over the years it has progressed to today’s result.

472TN8TDC31L.jpeg

13QV3NUK5SQJ.pngBottom picture crispy fried bacon

pancakes decorated with strawberries, blueberries, blackberries, raspberries and edible flowers.

a dish of strawberries mixed with strawberry jam and a little kirsh

A dish of mixed berries cooked in Kirsh and Kahlua then reduced to a sticky syrup.

and finally maple syrup, and a large cup of coffee.

Top picture my FIRST helping.

Not going far for a while too full.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I wanna pass on my best wishes for Sixty as well. Wow, must have been a shock after so long

without one.

Bill, I have not hit the Glide wedges but the reviews seem to be pretty good based on what

I've read around here over the last few years. I don't think you can go wrong if the price is

right.

• Like 1

Thanks Conrad ! I think i'll get them, if nothing else, they look good !!

As warm as it is getting here, i will try them out Monday...dont have a clue what the bounce is

on them,. He is a pretty good short gamer, so they worked for him.

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

OH man sorry to hear that. Glad you seem to be ok and are back posting--- I can tell you from experience on the First Responder end they can be scary for those involved with helping too. But I am glad you seem ok

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Bill. Hit a Glide wedge at the LGS, off mats, a couple years back. Seemed to be hit just fine as I recall. But hitting off mats is not a good way to test wedges. Wasn't what I was looking for at the time (thinner soles, lower bounce number). But like Conrad mentioned, the Glides get a good amount of positive commentary. They're wedges that would be on my short list of ones to try heading into next season (along with the CBX). Getting the itch to wield a different, GI wedge and if I found a Glide version on the cheap would give it a go in the bag. Kinda fitting into what I "think" would be an improvement over what I'm using now. Maybe. Hopefully. This stuff takes a certain leap of faith.

There are now three versions. Original Glide, Glide 2.0, and now Glide 3.0. Four if you count the Forged. Ping only publishes effective bounce numbers, which is a combination of the static bounce and sole width (the wider the sole the higher the effective bounce). They have four sole widths (i.e. grinds): Thin Sole (TS), Standard Sole (SS), Wide Sole (WS) and Eye 2 Sole (ES, patterned after the Eye 2 wedges). Both the 50* and 54* SS have 12* of effective bounce. Based on the Glide 2.0 (which is all that I can find this a.m., but think the 1.0 is the same). The most versatile for us average duffers is going to be the SS. Would be cautious for non-sand shots if the 54* is a wide sole. Shafts are CFS in the 1.0, AWT 2.0 in the latter versions. Both lighter in weight then the customary TTDG "Wedge" shaft found in many other wedges. Think that's a good thing for us guys. We play LW graphite in our irons, then jump to a heavy steel shaft in our wedges. To big of a weight differential IMHO. I've noticed that a Cleveland wedge I play feels rather ponderous these days do to the heft.

Be cognizant of the Ping color dot, designating the inherent lie angle. Black being standard, and most utilized by far. If your bud is appx. the same height as you, it should be fine. Be aware of certain colors that may be to upright or flat. Without getting into the whole discourse of the Ping color dot system.

A quick search of eBay for sold prices indicates that Glide wedges are going for ~$35 - $40. The 2.0 appx. $20.00 more. Some general value guidelines. There seems to be some reasonable deals on the Bay at the moment (hmmm!).

Hopefully not information overload to a simple question. Just that this stuff needs to be over-analyzed to make a decision. They will likely play just fine for you. If the price is right, they'll play even better. At least they are not the High-Toe "Mack Daddy" wedges that are in fashion these days. Those look way to wonky to the setup eye for this old hacker. Couldn't play them if I had too. (No offense to those that like the style.)

• Like 2

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Well I detailed it over in the General Conversation Thread in the Classics Section--- Yesterday was the last day for my home course of 19 years. But I did have fun and played it in typical Stu style with Persimmon and blades---- Even with the threat of impeding doom for the course hanging over our heads we did have fun and had 4 team matches going on. I sometimes amaze myself I had not played or swung a club in 6 weeks due to weather and Church Sound board duties. But I never missed a fairway all day with the persimmon driver even though with the cold weather I never hit it over 220 or so. Joined a group of courses with 4 courses near me just got to figure out which one will be my new home for me to hang my shingle out at

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

@Hankshank. Sincere condolences on the recent loss of your Mom. May you find solace in fond remembrances of her and a life well lived. Now the role to fill is being there for your Dad during this difficult period. Hopefully, the closeness of family will be cathartic for all of you.
  • Like 2

@scomac2002 said: I do know that the few times I pulled that Adams LW that I had "acquired" it was about a 50:50 proposition of success or abject failure. Not really a high probability club if we're honest, so meh...I'm petrified of LW's. Become a basket case of ineptitude with one in hand. And my short game is already lacking proficiency to begin with. Have several flavors of 60* lobs around in the wedge storage bag and keep them as far away from the "gamer" bag as possible. Do have a very nice shape Cleveland 900 58* stashed. They supposedly have a reputation. Maybe that would work?
  • Like 2

I played a 52/58 combination for years and that seemed to work fine, but it also felt like I never had the right club half the time. That took me to present configuration with a set GW and a 56. Seems to do the trick 95% of the time unless I've got to clear a tall tree that's right in front of me.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

@ Fella: Thanks for the info. I have never hit them,so i am going to try them tomorrow. This nice warm

weather we are having will let me get them on the grass range. A huge percentage of the older guys

I play with are using the Cleveland , and most of them were purchased last spring, lol. Our group

had a wedge buying spree in April. I am still using the one length clubs and they have a wedge,a Gap and a

Sand wedge with them,so i didn't really pay much attention to what they were using,until someone asked

if i was changing too ! The fitter i use told me he could make any wedge i get the same length as my other irons,

and we agreed that i am not nearly good enough that the different weight would be noticeable!

we'll see what these Glides feel like before I look farther.

• Like 2

Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

Oh, and the UPS box that showed up at my house contained a set (4-P) of Cobra S9 Version 2 2008 irons

with 55 gram shafts for my lightweight experiment. They happen to be compliant with the 2010 groove

rule just in case I wanna play in the Alabama State Senior Open with them..........

I think someone had a little too much wine when they put the grips on these, lol

4NAXXT74AQSE.jpg

• Like 1

Sweet! Went to the googles to check out S9’s. Returned to observe the distorted pics of WITB(ox) (More WRX’ian nonsense.) Everyone getting boxes from Santa.

Grips are easy to correct with a grip removal tool. Or whatever method one prefers. Always remove grips and reinstall. Kinda OCD about getting them on perfectly straight. Never ceases to amaze me how peeps install new grips over layers of old tape. Like to remove it all, degunk and start over.

• Like 2

billh, absolutely agree, my game is such that no matter what the bounce, blade angle or any other technical terminology you want to use, my game would always be the same. I have always from day one played golf as a complete idiot, nothing has mattered I just go out and hit the ball until I can see the green and then try to get it on there and do better than three putt.

there is no doubt I would like it to be different but with everything else that has always been part of my life I have never been in a position to concentrate on golf. I love playing and the friendship that grows by spending so much time with a like minded group, but have never been silly enough to think I would be anything other than a hacker.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Part of our Christmas fare, a black forrest trifle, I know it does not look large because of the cherries on top but these are possibly four/five times the size of a normal shop cherry. A doctor where my son works buys a case to be shared amongst staff every Christmas no one knows where he purchases them but they give a completely wrong perspective of size as they are so big. Had a portion before lunch today, our family motto is

”life is short so eat desert first”

0S0RWZCK1NL1.jpeg

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

As activities are likely beginning to amp up for everyone. To all my Grille brethren, a very Merry Christmas to you and yours.

(Forecast tomorrow: 53* and sunny. Snow for Christmas day is so overrated. Might hit a couple of balls into the back wood lot just to say I did. Wearing golf shorts.)

• Like 1

Likewise Fella, it is hotting up in the Tol household, sitting bed 9.32 having imbibed a couple of drinks of wine with DW and son. All that remains is to sleep and awaken on Christmas Day to a houseful of presents? take it easy Grillers and enjoy your special day with family.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)