2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

I like your style, @Fellaheen51 . Hit golf balls while wearing shorts on Christmas day. Not sure it's going to be warm enough to do that here, besides I don't have a woodlot to hit into. Maybe pitch a few in the park at the end of the street.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all you Grillers! We're currently in the nation's capital (Ottawa) as I type for a bit of family time before we return home later today. DW is working the holiday so we don't have much in the way of plans for Christmas or Boxing Day.
[img]https://s3.amazonaws.com/golfwrxforums/uploads/279/IAZP9PZZ5EAB.jpg[/img]

• Like 1

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Wonderful, cheerful pics! I would like to extend Merry Christmas wishes to all my fellow Grillesters as well!

After 3 straight days of rain we are now forecasted to have a week of unseasonably warm weather here also

with temps in the high 60s and low 70s. Gonna play some golf!

We're staying home this year so I'll be around if anyone else is posting in the Grille.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Christmas morning, DW in shower, action shortly with presents and breakfast.

lovely family picture Sco, everyone seems happy to be there which is a good start to the day.

Conrad we had a good downpour last night which was our first and very welcome rain in over three months, put out minds to rest as it has reduced the fire hazard considerably for us, and I will not have to water the garden today, another bonus..

happy day Grillers.

• Like 1

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

I'm glad your fire danger is finally lessening. Your fires have made news all around the world, which

is not a good thing for you. Enjoy your Christmas morning. Cheerios!

SLED Gemini

Same back to you Rad and all the other Grillsters----- We are having the same weather you guys are having in Bama------ Yep we stayed at home too just the wifey little man and I---- Going to do a one trip run up tomorrow and Friday and then take off until the 6th or so. Dying to try out 2 putters I traded for on Christmas Eve. Got a sorta modern 8802 insert style Lynx and a classic Forged TP Mills Mizuno.

• Like 1

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Man o man that brings back memories. That is the exact Christmas card the old man sent out to his customers at the course one year along with a coupon for 3 Club Specials. Club Specials man that WAS a LONG time ago.

• Like 1

Well, it reached 56* here today. Course is soft, but playable. Got 9 in,and used the glide wedges.

I do not think i will go with them. Just didn't feel good to me. I would guess that the poor results were

my fault and not the clubs. I was prepared for less than usual due to having been using the others.

But , it was a lot more poorer than that. Not good, So, no biggie..i will look towards the Clevelands.

however, getting 9 on Christmas Day, in Ohio ? Priceless !

• Like 1

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

We always go to the movies on Boxing Day, there is usually something we want to see. Today we went to see Cats, completely different to the stage show which we have seen three times but one thing that was the same was the music, brilliant as usual. Came away feeling good, DW did a little more shopping so was extra happy.

working in the garden tomorrow, the rain over the past three days has made a big difference, it always surprises me how quickly the grass grows when it’s wet being summer it goes mad. Last week we had gutter guard fitted all rounded so for the first time since moving here we will not have to put up the ladder and clean them out, there is a guarantee we will never have to clean them again, very happy about that as with all the trees around it was an ongoing job. Time for a glass of wine, have a good day Grillers.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

There seems to be some interest in the Cleveland CBX line of wedges here so I will start a bit of a revue with a few photos I took this morning to give you a general feel for the club.

5GBN2GSOHETE.jpg

OAO8HMAEU0DZ.jpgNext are some photos comparing the CBX 56 ° to the TM Burner Plus AW which is 50°

JQCBMZ4RNSLF.jpg

ZKQF5E2E0M94.jpg

77T9CVBFAMDD.jpgYou can see that they are very similar in blade length, shape and sole width. More pronounced bounce and less offset in the Cleveland, but that would be expected in a progressive set design. IMO, the CBX truly is a wedge designed for golfers who play modern game improvement cavity-back irons.

I'll post more when I get a chance to hit a few balls.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OHH I am going to start something here and please forgive me first off and don't kick me out of the Grille pleeze but I gotta say it-----

Those might say they are Cleveland wedges but they ain't because they were not designed by Roger Cleveland. The Rog is over at Callaway now has been for some time and I think someone slipped a Mickey in his Pepsi over there because the Cally wedges do not look at all like a 588 or a 900. Just wanted to set the record straight

• Like 1

The finished product with landscape mounted above fireplace.

8UP4HJKZ7ZCG.jpg

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Going back to the fires, I can understand the problems at present. We had an acre of land cleared and we asked the rural fire brigade to burn it off for us, they sent out a fully loaded truck set it on fire and stayed until there was no discernible flame or ciders burning, hosed it down thoroughly again before they departed. In the centre of the wood pile was a large log over 4ft diameter around 10ft long with a hole down the middle, there was a small amount of smoke coming from it and we were assured there was no danger, but that log burned from the inside until it was completely gone, took around four weeks, we watched it all the time, there was no danger as all around was only wood ash but I can understand how in the wild these bush fires can reignite when you think they are out.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Was aware that RC was at Callaway, but Stu's mention got me curious on the history of Cleveland. Now owned as a subsidiary of the Japanese conglomerate SRI (Sumitomo Rubber Industries), which includes Srixon, Cleveland, Dunlop and XXIO. Would surmise that the Cleveland brand had significant value as an intangible asset (in accounting parlance) when the company was sold. You're buying the name to some extent. Some historical info and why RC moved to Cally can be found here (guess the link highlight widget no longer works). Roger Cleveland - People you shoud know in golf | National Club GolferHave zero experience hitting Cally wedges. Callaway never being an OEM that's been on my radar for implements. And do not seem to have a presence in these CB designs we've been bantering about. Other than the Sure-Out, which is a very wide soled, high(er) lofted wedge. Yet another brand name co-opted from the demise of the original Ben Hogan Golf Company. Why some Hoganistas refuse to have any Hogan clubs post Cally acquiring the brand names out of receivership. I digress.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Thanks for sharing the link @Fellaheen51 . I was aware of much of the Roger Cleveland story, but didn't realize that it sort of started with the Classics line of persimmon woods. One wonders what may have become of the company if he had taken his own advice and focused on what he was good at which was wedges and persimmon?
One thing that I'd like to add is that despite Roger moving to Callaway, I've never been all that excited about Callaway wedges, much preferring any of the Cleveland designs that emanated from the basic 588 shape and sole design. There's a certain irony that he has been with Callaway longer than he was at the company he started. Cleveland may still carry his name, but what we see in their lineup today will have no relation to his design work other than by sheer coincidence.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

As a side note it is currently 59°F here today! Beautiful golf weather if it weren't for other activities taking precedence and a lack of golf facilities open. I walked over to the Centennial Park this morning and the ball diamonds were looking especially inviting for a bit of short game practice -- don't worry, I didn't bring my new wedge along, besides, there's probably a bylaw against such things. Think I'm going to get myself a shag-bag and one of those six club holders for such endeavours. May lead me to engaging in all sorts of silliness this coming year!

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Here's hoping everyone had a great Christmas. I guarantee it was better than mine as I seem to be cursed the past 3 years when the holiday comes around. For the 3rd year in a row I have had at least an issue leading to less family fun than should be. This years story pretty much takes the cake. Here's some history...
1=2017 Got sick and had a 103 fever on Christmas day.
2=2018 Arrived from overseas on the 23rd and my luggage was delayed a day. This meant I was sitting at home Christmas Eve as my wife and kids went to the grandparents for dinner while I waited for my bag to arrive. I had soup... they had steak and mashed potatoes.
3=2019 Dec 23rd 7pm: got really cold and took a nap. Figured it was just due to travel and not being acclimated. 11pm... woke up with my stomach giving me every red flag I was in for a bad time. Spent from 11pm until 7am 24 Dec going back to the bathroom to "upwardly remove stomach contents" about every 20 minutes. 24 trips in 8 hours... and yes, I tracked it. Most likely it was a form of food poisoning (guess: E.coli), and since I have been through Salmonella a couple times I was surprised I still feel like garbage up to today. Could just be the nasty bug going around, but I don't feel like it was a full on bug.
Plus side: lost 4 lbs in 8 hours.
Minus side: they are slowly coming back now that I can eat... sorta.

Now I have to get my rear in gear and get some strength back as I am trying to get in at least one round of golf before the end of the year. I'm hoping to get out with @Steele47 while he's in town

• Like 1

As a side note it is currently 59°F here today! Beautiful golf weather if it weren't for other activities taking precedence and a lack of golf facilities open. I walked over to the Centennial Park this morning and the ball diamonds were looking especially inviting for a bit of short game practice -- don't worry, I didn't bring my new wedge along, besides, there's probably a bylaw against such things. Think I'm going to get myself a shag-bag and one of those six club holders for such endeavours. May lead me to engaging in all sorts of silliness this coming year! ?I stand corrected as I just got notification -- more correctly, I just got around to reading my email -- that Southern Pines is open for play today! So instead of playing I did the next best thing and went shopping, on-line! One original ShagBag and one Silo club carrier are on the way courtesy of Amazon.

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK, so just for fun........let's say you could pick any club manufacturer and fill your bag with their

clubs only; who would you pick and what specfic 14 clubs would be in your bag from today's

current offerings? In other words, you are now a tour pro deciding who to sign a 14 club

contract with.....and you have to get your bag together quickly cause you're playing next

week.

SLED Gemini

He owned the company and sold it name and all to someone I do not know who. Then Srixon bought them out. Callaway golf hired him to design clubs. Any modern Callaway club that you see with "R" stamped on the hosel he designed. In fact I remember when Srixon got bent out of shape over Calllaway advertising wedges designed by Roger Cleveland and tried to sue. They did not have a leg to stand on because they bought Cleveland Golf not Roger Cleveland's real name

• Like 1

Some really serious Hoganistas refuse to have any Spalding Hogans either. And some really serious ones do not want anything to do with Hogan clubs from the AMF days either.

• Like 1

In persimmon terms you hit that one dead nuts in the screws--- Yep Cleveland golf started out in the reproduction business and I will add quality reproductions. Their persimmon woods were dead ringers for the famous Macgregor 693 woods down to the "butterfly" sole plate. They also made a copy of the famous Wilson 8802 putter. The famous 588 wedges are a copy of the famed 1958 Wilson Staff sand wedge. Here is you a little bit of trivial fact---- A 8802 Cleveland marked just "designed by" goes cheap usually $10 to $20 now the same putter marked "designed by Crenshaw" goes for more same putter different stampings. There are also some 693 copies marked Crenshaw that go for pretty hefty prices

• Like 1

Ok in the spirit of grille play I will bite even though in real life I would never ever play a full bag of just one brand can not even imagine it. So I really have to put the brain in gear and think. I know you can hear the gears clashing and rubber burning over in Bama.

It would have to be Taylor Made because of the TW blades--- I guess also because of the Twisted Sister woods too and the rusty groove wedges ain't half bad either. I guess on the putter end it would be anything they have that resembles an Anser. I would have said Cally because I love their MB blades but hate their wedges and drivers. And BTW I like the new TM staff bags the orange and black ones---- And before anyone starts I ain't no Clemson fan either

• Like 1

Sounds as if you should try to pretend Christmas does not exist, but on the up side you have a good weight loss each year without months of exercise and fasting.

seriously, sometimes you have to wonder which of the gods you have upset to have the same group of days do wrong three in a row. They say things come in threes so next year you should be looking forward to a smooth holiday with the family, and it’s good to see you post in the Grille, do it more often your contributions are missed, have a good new year and stay out of trouble.

• Like 1

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

And BTW I like the new TM staff bags the orange and black ones---- And before anyone starts I ain't no Clemson fan eitherI would never have made the connection. I would assume you like the orange and black colour scheme as an homage to PowerBilt from the 80's.

For me I think that the easy choice would have to be Cobra for a full bag. I sure do like the way in which their sets progress from hybrids to irons and then to wedges. I can get along with their woods and then that leaves the choice of putter up to me because they aren't in the market, so I can free agent that slot!

• Like 1

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Playing along. On the quick and for free? Probably Ping. Only because it's the brand I have the most experience with. And the entire lineup seems pretty solid. Only have hit Titleist metals, never an iron. Sure, I've rolled a Scotty, but......it's a cult. Never have really tested TM (an entirely personal anti-bias) or Cally, other than the very occasional swat at the LGS. Zero experience with Cobra.

As for which ones:

D - G400 Max. Already play one. It's a solid club, seems to be as good as advertised. Don't need all that slider adjustability the 410's offer.

Fairways - G410 5 (17.5*) and 7 (20.5*). Deloft the 5 a degree. Standard, no SFT business. Believer in learning to hit a club straight, not utilize tech to influence a draw bias.

Hybrid - If I have to, would be interesting to try one like the G400 5H (26*).

Irons - Practical consideration. G410's with a heavier weight (95 g) graphite shaft. Really only need 6 - GW these days. Likely beyond my skill set. Blueprints with LW steel.

Wedges- By default. Glide 3's. Not sure in what combination, maybe 54* and 58*. Or just a 56* and call it good.

Putter - Already using a 1st gen. Sigma Tyne. The "Fang". Seems to work pretty well. Since it's free, Vault 2 Dale Anser. At least it's not a SC.

Realize that adds up to 13 clubs, all that is needed these days. Leaving an open spot for whatever. But like others have said, playing only one brand really isn't that appealing. Just because.

• Like 1

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)