Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Boy, it sure has gotten quiet in here of late. Most of the regulars has been MIA since making the customary holiday greetings appearance. I'm wondering if Gus is going to close up shop and head south for the winter. He probably doesn't want to lay Tammy and Cyndy off cause he'd have to find new girls in the spring and train them to get used to the regulars. Hopefully y'all will check in and let us know that you're okay.

I got an email the other day from one of the guys in my men's league informing us of another member's passing. I didn't even know that the guy was sick. I don't really think he was just old age. It seems we lose at least one each off-season and another in season.

• Like 2

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Hey all... I have been under a major project time restraint putting in about 45-60 hr/week. Hopefully I will be able to check in once in a while and see what is up, but I'm barely keeping up with what I have going right now. The new driver from Christmas hasn't even made it into my bag... it's just staring at me wondering when I will bring it out and let it play.

Speaking of drivers... I've hit the new Cobra SZ series drivers and something feels much different to me vs the F9. Not sure if better or worse, but I haven't seen the same numbers I was getting with the F9 that will be going into the bag. It is a very nice driver but I noticed I have a very hard time hitting my stock draw with it. I actually FADE it!! That ain't right... well, it is going right, but you get the idea. I hit the SIM 3w and that thing just feels heavy! I like heavier clubs, but that thing feels like a rock on a string to me. It wasn't going very far... might work for some, but not so much for me.

Hope all is well!

• Like 2

I suppose talking to myself has its up side,

ME: you are looking good today

ME: thank you I feel well

ME: are you going to be busy today

ME: no, painting mainly, thursday is my full day of art

ME: enjoy yourself

ME: thank you

the end

• Like 2

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

Starting to measure up for a conversion in the house, we are trying to seperate it into two living areas to accomodate two families, back to what I know, building stuff.

was going to start my New Years golf this week but I think my body has started to object, right hip has started to hurt enough to stop me sleeping, appointment with doctor on Monday, did not help as it was my turn to run the art gallery on Tuesday That we have now joined, on my feet all day so since then it has been worse. We also agreed to look after a neighbours horse whilst he is on holiday, feeding and cleaning etc, could not have come at a worse time. DW is a horse lover so she is taking a fair amount of the work.

time for supper, glass of wine then bed.

good night Grillers

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Man, I feel like my job these days is 10 hours of review and then go to a golf store and hit some interesting new clubs...

Prediction time: The new Callaway fairway woods will be HUGE sellers and are really good. I will say that the "normal" model has a very strange feature to make it sound fast (it sort of whistles at you), but I found the stock shaft (EvenFlow) they had available to be a no-go for me. Those are just so light and soft... as opposed to the Rogue white which I hit in the Sub Zero head (but in x-flex) that really feels pretty good. Carry with the EvenFlow was 220-224 for a total of 240. The Rogue White in the Sub Zero was a 235 carry for 252! I had to hit it 3 more times to confirm as there are certain drivers out there that didn't get out to 252 for me in the past few years testing (cough Ping and Honma cough). I was impressed...

Had a 5am teleconference so I've been working almost 5 hours already today. Probably another 5 hours to go... then I might get to see the sun today.

Hoping the weather coming at us tonight here on the West Coast doesn't make things terrible for the rest of y'all across the nation.

• Like 2

If you're like me then you'll be several model years removed from what is current. I have been looking recently at a couple of interesting options in a Callaway XR 16 with Kuro Kage 50 shaft in A flex. I have gotten along very well with the Adams clubs I have with the same shaft, so Naturally I'm wondering if a driver so equipped could be a winner. I had a Diablo Octane driver a few years back that I loved until I cracked the head. The XR 16 reminds me of the Diablo in terms of footprint.

The other item I've been looking at is a 6-GW set of Cobra F6 irons with Matrix Red Tie 65R graphite shafts. Not sure if I need another go with graphite, but it's hard to argue with the price at $369 for lightly used. The same applies to a swatch of Cleveland Huntington Beach putters that show up in pretty much as new condition for ~$90 a piece. So many choices for the reformed club hoe...

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Well, I test everything every year and this year my Razr-FIT Extreme got beaten by the Cobra F9, so that is the newest club in my bag by about 3 years. My wedges would be next and then irons and putter (2014). Finally, the 3w (XHot Pro 13.5 degree) is about 2011 if memory serves me...

I've got some older stuff I might be looking to get out of here at some point. I have an older Mizuno driver I picked up when I started playing again for the first time in almost 8 years (around 2008 or 09)... definitely doesn't fit me at all these days. Much too soft flex and high hitting... probably better for a 80-90 MPH swinger. Hard to say as I haven't tried to hit it in years! Might keep it for one of my daughters ... and might just sell it. The putters aren't going anywhere (only own 3 right now), but maybe some other stuff is hanging around that I can move.

The hardest part of having kids is you can't hoard clubs... they might use them as weapons against each other and hurt them! I would never want my clubs hurt like that!!

(that's a joke, y'all ... just a joke)

• Like 2

Rubbish, that’s serious stuff, could bend the shaft if they swing it too fast.

talking about rubbish, this past two weeks our local TV station has been playing all the old Elvis movies, now with the “now me too” movement I am surprised they even play them. Ten movies so far and they all have three things in common, apart from Elvis that is.

1 fast cars, usually racing cars.

2 very sexist attitude to the ladies of which there are many.

3 very poor loud music.

From some reports, Elvis regretted playing in any of them, they were just awful.

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

a little bit of trivia, I think. I know we use cling wrap, don’t know if that is what you call it, but it is the thin plastic sheet on a roll that is used to seal stuff in the fridge. We used to purchase it on 12 yard rolls, then we changed store and they sold it in 328 yd rolls we purchased on and finished it this week. The replacement is 656 yd roll so if we use a yard a day which is unlikely it will last almost two years. This was around $20 so a brilliant price compared to the $10 for a 12 yd roll.

just thought you would all be interested as my golf thoughts at present have declined rapidly.?

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

We generally buy such things as cling wrap at our local Costco (aka MASSIVE shopping warehouse selling in bulk) where you get 3-5 massive rolls. Seeing as we get through things like cling and parchment paper, it works out well for us.

Yesterday ended up being a 19 hour day thanks to some rush requests to help out in other places. I'm hoping I can keep today to about 8 hours as I would like to see sunlight this week. If I am lucky, I'll be heading to the golf store and maybe I'll give the new Mavrik driver a swing and see what an additional $200 over what I spent on my F9 gets me... probably not 90% more yardage, so I doubt I'd even consider a change before this driver even gets in the bag. Still, it is something I can do outside the house.

• Like 2

Last night our summer drought broke with bells on, we had a full night of torrential rain. Shows how dry it was, this morning the ground is still fairly dry. The down side is the grass is growing at an accelerated rate, must have grown an inch over night, still very hot though but now the humidity is in the 90s. Summer is here.??

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Sadly, no can do... the work has a deadline approaching and so I am on it pretty much every day.

On today's plus side... hit the Mavrik and Mavrik Sub Zero today. Callaway have another winner... and this one feels better than the last by quite a bit. I was hitting MISHITS (trying to hit toes and heels) that carried about 240 yds for 260 and change total. I think the work they did for mishits will pay off for 99.9% of golfers ... as long as you don't really miss low heel. Nothing really helps you there. I didn't find the total distance as long as my F9, but it wasn't exactly optimized for my swing. I hit it about 270-280 which is pretty impressive, but the F9 did almost 290 for me and was $249 vs $499+. I am not seeing double distance, so not paying double.

If anyone else hits the Mavrik Sub Zero, let me know what you think of the sound and flight tendencies. I know it is supposed to be a bit open but I find it really wants to go left. I pulled it quite a bit and hit some pull draws... could be the shaft isn't right for the head weighting (for my swing), or it could just be a tendency of the club. I won't spoil the sound... but I wanted to laugh the first time after I heard something quite different from the standard model.

• Like 2

LOL you ought to see the Clemson fans around here---- Lips stuck out so far you can walk from here to Atlanta on them---- Like I have said before I could care less who plays much less who wins or loses--- Ohio State fans around here were pulling for LSU since Clemson put the beat down on them a few years back. I just shrug and carry on

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Well I finally broke down and bought me a car on a deal I could not pass up. I bought a 2001 Benz S-500. This is my 3rd Benz and as far as cars I like it. A bud of mine ( and golf partner) is a used car dealer and deals with high end cars took it in on trade. Now it has been up North so some body rust not bad but some--- Runs great and a great interior and everything works!!! It is the long base 500 too!!! Plenty room for me and my stuff. I got it for what he had in it and a little off that since I have been winning us some money on side bets in the Saturday Dog Fights. It is 1 st class Mafia style. Pretty good for my image pulling up to the bag drop in a rusty Benz with a set of beat up rusty Macgregor clubs in the back. I have already named it the Rustbucket Benz. Sunroof works too. Got in early and temps were in the high 60s yesterday. Went to my new course heck yeah with the sun roof back and stereo blasting. Put it to you guys as you already know I am a cheap SOB I have less than a grand in it. It is a little cold here this Am so no sun roof back today but the heater works great.

One of the few times in my life I have not owned a Pick up but we still have the mini van which is more than less a pick up because we do not have any of the rear seats in it. Also a few weeks back I salvaged some heavy duty suspension from a wrecked one at the yard that was set up for disabled persons use. In fact it goes to my buds shop today for the conversion. He is charging me $250 to switch the heavy duty springs and air shocks over and install the compressor.

Gonna play in the Dog Fight today been playing it for 3 weeks now. Having a blast. We ain't gonna win it overall because as usual you can not beat a sharp pencil. We do not really care about the overall thing. We have 3 or 4 groups of us that do the side bet thing among ourselves. Funny thing is the couple of groups that seem to win the thing will not bet with any of us. Even if we did not have the side bets or win the thing it is a great deal for $35---- You get breakfast and if one drinks free Bloody Marys too. Free beer and as many hot dogs as you can eat at the turn and then when it is over free lunch. Last week they had ribs from a local restaurant. Guys like me who don't drink get free non alcoholic beverages too. In fact the pro / co owner who is a bud of mine makes sure they have a pot of coffee for me in the morning. He had a post it note on one of the pots last Saturday "Stu's Pot" one of the guys asked why? The pro told him Stu gets his own pot because he is a truck driver and does not drink Bloody Marys for breakfast. I played like I used to last week in the scramble format. I made 4 natural birdies off my ball from tee to green. My bud told one of the guys they just sat in the carts and let me play those holes. With the wind and not good greens we managed to shoot -6. Supposedly the winning team shot -14 ( ha ha) which prompted my car dealer buddy to offer them to play our team heads up for $1000 or shoot at -6 for a grand. They could not get out of there fast enough. Hey he is forking over the money and I am bird dogging.

• Like 2

A lot of people with a face open club tend to subconsciously roll their wrists and shut it down coming into the ball. This in turn will cause a toe hit and with a metal driver produce a hot nasty toe hook. I have already proved that to a couple of folks with adjustable drivers. Just something to consider

• Like 2

Did not mean to post this but I hit the quote button by mistake and it will not let me delete it. Still many problems with this software.????????????????☠️☠️☠️☠️???

• Like 2

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Just laughing at all the pissed off emojis you can possibly come up with!

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Dum, dum dum…….!! (The sound of foreboding in the foreground)

Our first significant snowfall in two months is on it's way today. I'll save the predictions for the weather nerds and add a picture or two for effect later today. They say about 6" to be followed up immediately by rain! Great! I was really getting used to this North Carolina style winter that we have been experiencing. The last couple of nights were the first nights below freezing since early December.

Had breakfast with the clubhouse manager on Monday and she was bringing me up-to-date on the plans for the coming season. Too early to tell at this point, but we might get an early start to the golf season for a change. Despite the drive I told her that I would be back for another season.

Signed up for a second curling league starting on Tuesday. It's the senior day men's league at SCCC. I have spared in it a couple of times. I'll get 12 weeks out of that which should get me to the golf season. WE played last night and I'm finally starting to get some confidence back with the game. It has been very slow coming with periods of extreme frustration. They say it's a fun league, but I can assure you it's no damn fun if you're playing like crap! I've had some good games along the way, but something about last night felt different. Maybe it was the double takeout that I managed. Its was pretty much teed up if you threw the rock right, but I haven't had a shot like that since the year I got hurt. Will see how the rest of the season progresses. We're entered in a bonspiel in March with friends from our old club. We have played in that in the past. Never did particularly well, but always had fun.

4 weeks today we're flying to Ft. Lauderdale to catch a cruise that will be sailing through the Panama Canal and then going up the west coast to San Diego. Really looking forward to that as we will be going to new ports and sailing Pacific waters for the first time. I won't count the Alaska cruise as Pacific because we went through the inside passage. What can I say: we love to cruise. It's the only way to travel. DW already has something in the works for next year in Portugal. She's retiring on Dec. 31, so that will be a "special" trip.

• Like 2

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Love that Ad blocker plus app...works like magic ! we just escaped another winter storm here in Southern Ohio.

looks like it is really hitting Fella and Scomac's area.

We are now 62 days from the official 1st day of spring.! As an old man of 73, i am not a fan of winters anymore!

I want the warm 60/70 + temps

• Like 2

Certified Orginal Member#2
Outlaw Golf Association
To Heck with the USGA

I've been known to hit a couple hot pull-hooks from time to time with "softer" shafts and what feel to be heavier heads.

Supposedly the Mavrik is neutral to "maybe" slightly closed and the Sub Zero is slightly open. I actually think of the Sub as being square and the Mavrik is slightly closed. Granted, that might be from a history of playing slightly open faced clubs.

Something I forgot to add from testing: I could make a REALLY bad swing trying to hit a push slice or try to snap the club over and I was not getting the hot pile of garbage shots I was expecting. Maybe I hit them better than I thought, and after about 3-4 swings I was pretty much on the screws (odd trying to seat a driver with the sole like the Mavrik at first), but I get the feeling they did do a great job with straightening out shots a bit AND keeping distance.

... now I am thinking about doing a head to head. Dang it!

• Like 2

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)