Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Michael, I was just reading about the JPX900 forged. It's time for you to have an affair.

Those are some SWEET irons. :idhitit:

I seen 'em. They're sweet looking. They'd have to be pretty special to get me to get these 800s out of the bag.

You're too wise for WRX. Aha, I just created our new motto. Too wise for WRX

.......yet we're here anyway.

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Welcome to the Grille Scomac!

I've never tried a fat putter grip. My mind can't process one. Just

seems to conflict with my sense of proper proportion.

Buttt....I don't have the fat one. I've got the skinny one. Think Stu and Sco are on to something about this situation. Something about the constant diameter, meatier feel, flat front, idk, is taking my hands out of the the putting stroke. Its all suppose to be arms and shoulder turn with the SS. And I'm not use to it. I don't mind being a 'little' handsy, sorta part of the feel dynamic.

Been practicing a bit this evening with it. Not happy with the results. Think it very well may be a lost cause. Once I get something in my head, develop fears and phobias about the putting stroke, very difficult to banish away the negative thoughts. Never had an issue using a simple Lamkin Crossline or a Pingman on any putter I've owned. Not to the point where I worrying about the putter grip contributing to my putting prowess or lack thereof.

Think I've been misinformed about the benefits. That this whizbang would shave strokes. Color me duped. At least I didn't spend $25 for the damn thing.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Stu, found me a bunch of persimmons today. El cheapo. Posted them in "No New Acquisitions?" over in Classics. A blond TP, Mac M43, a Joe Powell and couple of unusual ones. Damn near pee'd my pants. Scrounging nirvana. I'm a classical junkie.

Welcome to the Grille Scomac!

I've never tried a fat putter grip. My mind can't process one. Just

seems to conflict with my sense of proper proportion.

Buttt....I don't have the fat one. I've got the skinny one. Think Stu and Sco are on to something about this situation. Something about the constant diameter, meatier feel, flat front, idk, is taking my hands out of the the putting stroke. Its all suppose to be arms and shoulder turn with the SS. And I'm not use to it. I don't mind being a 'little' handsy, sorta part of the feel dynamic.

Been practicing a bit this evening with it. Not happy with the results. Think it very well may be a lost cause. Once I get something in my head, develop fears and phobias about the putting stroke, very difficult to banish away the negative thoughts. Never had an issue using a simple Lamkin Crossline or a Pingman on any putter I've owned. Not to the point where I worrying about the putter grip contributing to my putting prowess or lack thereof.

Think I've been misinformed about the benefits. That this whizbang would shave strokes. Color me duped. At least I didn't spend $25 for the damn thing.

I think KJ and then later Jordan really got the SS grips going. I think Scomac is

right that they will work for some and not for others. I liked his analogy of putting

wearing oven mitts, lol. Sums it up for me without even trying them. The visuals

were enough to turn me off, but that's just me and you certainly can't argue with

the success some are having. It really is YMMV proposition.

SLED Gemini

Welcome to the Grille Scomac.

I've enjoyed your contributions in the Classics section. Lots of 'classics' in this crew so you should fit in perfectly.

Fella,

A few years back I switched to a SS 2.0 and my putting improved immediately, especially on short putts. I didn't particularly like the feel or look of the grips but they quieted my hands. I agree with Sco's assessment that they deaden feel in the hands and smiled at the oven mitt reference. I tried my hand at a SS 3.0 and hated the size and then went down to the SS 1.0 and wasn't enamored. of the three I like the 2.0 the best. That being said, I've pulled SS grips off of all of my 'gamers' and have moved to Best Grip/Grip Master leathers and am now really enjoying Pure midsize and Big Dog grips. The latter seem to fit perfectly in my hands, I like the tacky feel, they provide good feedback, and the clean up well.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

Been quiet this week ladies and gents. I headed back to work on Tuesday and my wife is on afternoons. I've been exhausted and going to bed early. I've followed along from the sidelines.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

WRX has cost me a lot of money. I was just thinking about the clubs I was

playing when I first joined. I wish I was still playing with them now. I might

as well have thrown $10K in the fireplace.

You and me both brother! You and me both. :fool:

Of course now I just waste my money on classic clubs rather than the new stuff. :rolleyes:

Next project I'm toying with is being an early adopter Nike club collector. It's going to be an emerging tend! :smilie_nike:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Of course now I just waste my money on classic clubs rather than the new stuff. :rolleyes:

Next project I'm toying with is being an early adopter Nike club collector. It's going to be an emerging tend! :smilie_nike:

Haha, make sure you get the first blades Nike Miura made.

SLED Gemini

Already started. I've got a set of square woods! :o

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Already started. I've got a set of square woods! :o

Are those the ones that came with ear plugs?

SLED Gemini

No ear plugs, but I discovered quite by accident that a healthy helping of lead tape really deadens the sound. You wouldn't even know I was hitting one!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

No ear plugs, but I discovered quite by accident that a healthy helping of lead tape really deadens the sound. You wouldn't even know I was hitting one!

Haha, that's good. don't want to scare the wildlife off the course.

I have a few Ping drivers; one of which is a K15 that almost sounds

as obnoxious as some of the older Nike drivers. I like the driver but

don't use it much cause it hurts my ears.

I've heard about stuffing cotton into the head but didn't want to go

to all that trouble. Maybe I'll shorten the shaft and try your lead tape

solution.

SLED Gemini

That's exactly what I did with the Dymo2 -- worked like a charm. In fact, I didn't even realize that I silenced the thing until on the range one day and a guy next to me was hitting something that was so loud I had to pause while he took his swings. The sound literally made me flinch mid swing!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OK ... I might have given up my "man card" for the Prius, but I'm starting to think this might be the ULTIMATE golfers vehicle. Before all my other memberships (blade player, OGA initiate, etc) are pulled for said comment, let me explain. The Audi A3 on it's best day going 100% highway miles would get 30mpg. Around town (i.e. most driving for me) here in the hills I would get 24mpg. I just did a "trial loop" for 330 miles this week including 1 freeway (highway for those outside California) trip of 70 miles to see the parents, the weeks driving of the kid to school up higher in the hills, driving around to do errands, and some other various hill driving and went to fill up the tank. According to the gas gauge I hadn't hit the 1/2 tank mark (11.4 gal tank if I remember), the computer said 56.1mpg, and the "distance till empty" said 400 miles. The total fill was 5.555 gal for 59.405mpg.

Why does this sound like a golfers greatest vehicle? Simple: For those who want to save tons of money for playing golf, think of what it works out to per year in extra golf?? Not only that, but you get to play from the front tees AND play people for money! Sounds like quite a few rounds being saved... let's see how this works out.

... please don't revoke my memberships. ;)

OK ... I might have given up my "man card" for the Prius, but I'm starting to think this might be the ULTIMATE golfers vehicle. Before all my other memberships (blade player, OGA initiate, etc) are pulled for said comment, let me explain. The Audi A3 on it's best day going 100% highway miles would get 30mpg. Around town (i.e. most driving for me) here in the hills I would get 24mpg. I just did a "trial loop" for 330 miles this week including 1 freeway (highway for those outside California) trip of 70 miles to see the parents, the weeks driving of the kid to school up higher in the hills, driving around to do errands, and some other various hill driving and went to fill up the tank. According to the gas gauge I hadn't hit the 1/2 tank mark (11.4 gal tank if I remember), the computer said 56.1mpg, and the "distance till empty" said 400 miles. The total fill was 5.555 gal for 59.405mpg.

Why does this sound like a golfers greatest vehicle? Simple: For those who want to save tons of money for playing golf, think of what it works out to per year in extra golf?? Not only that, but you get to play from the front tees AND play people for money! Sounds like quite a few rounds being saved... let's see how this works out.

LOL, hybrids seem like good deals. The all electric cars though........................I'm

just trying to picture cars stranded all over the place with dead batteries. It could

be ugly. If I was in the market for a new car I might go hybrid. Eff the man card

in that case. When someone calls you out just tell them you swapped the man

card for a smart card....59 mpg? Sounds like a no brainer to me.

SLED Gemini

LOL, hybrids seem like good deals. The all electric cars though........................I'm

just trying to picture cars stranded all over the place with dead batteries. It could

be ugly. If I was in the market for a new car I might go hybrid. Eff the man card

I have already received notice of the following:

1) I will no longer be allowed to play ice hockey in the mens league... must join the ladies.

2) Red tees are my new home (Hello short par 5's!)

3) I have been approved to sell Mary Kay Products

4) My insurance went UP (seriously?? I go from 200 HP to 130 and it goes up???)

5) Apparently I am supposed to vote for someone called "Bernie Sanders" now ... or whomever the "green party" puts up.

6) I am "saving the earth" regardless of all the heavy metals I am driving around with under the panels. ;)

7) I hear 2 and 3 piece bathing suits are in my future at christmas... very funny guys.

Alright Gaucho, I'm gonna let you in on a little secret that only men over a certain age know.

Only YOU can revoke your man card. Sshhhh! It's a secret. ;)

Here's an example. In the 70's Bruce was a man's man. No one ever questioned him. Turns out, the whole time he "identified" as a female. HE revoked his man card long before anyone else did.

So, you drive your Prius. You wear your plus 4s. You nail your 6i 190. And, most importantly, you pat Mrs Gaucho on the rear now and then. Walk with a little swagger bro.

If that doesn't do it for you. Then, strap on those skates and check someone into the boards just a little harder than usual. Look down at 'em, snicker and spit and move on.....unless, checking isn't allowed....well, then........ maybe, you all could play jacks. :D :taunt:

I keed, I keed...LMAO!!

Let's see, I had Ping G10 irons 4-SW, TBaG 2007 Burner driver and FWs

and an Odyssey #9 putter. I don't think the stuff today is any better.

I didn't really lose $10K cause I've used what I bought and I have bought

and sold somewhat wisely but this place makes you want to have affairs

rather than get married. An age old male problem.

The club Ho effect of WRX for me is a little different. I was always a classic and old club ho to begin with and can not blame WRX. But being in the classics section like I am makes me go to the thrifts and yard sales a little more and working for a metal recycling company does not help either. We have been on vacation this week and my wife has went with me most of the week so she has checked out the prices on new equipment. She can be pretty smart at times. She made two observations and statements this week.

#1 I am glad you do not insist on this new stuff if you done like some folks golf could be more expensive than racing cars.

#2 If we hit a lottery and I bought a you a brand new set of those clubs (pointing to a brand new set of CB Mizzys) you would not hit them because they are NOT banged up and rusty and you would not have to put on new grips and bend them. :)

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

The latest greatest announcement from Nike will drive the cost of used Nike clubs up. I can hear the schmitk now "Those are Nike clubs they don't make them any more" Of course my newest comeback line would be "so what? they do not make Real Macgregors , Real Wilson Staffs , Spaldings and Real Hogans either anymore!" Recently I have had to point that out to several folks that The Canadian Special 2 iron is not a new whiz bang Hogan that it is a 1999 Real Hogan. I played with the "mafia" yesterday and one of the guys knows exactly what it is told me "Stuey that thing looks out of place in your bag because it is shiny new and does not have any lead tape on it. He suggested this winter I leave it outside my shop and let the weather get at it. Naaaw I told him I will let play get to it and age naturally

See there you go another lead tape guru of course I knew it all along from knowing Socomac in the classic forum. Us classic guys will lead tape something in the drop of a hat!!!

solution.

More than likely you will need the lead tape for weight if you shorten the shaft

Naaw you will not get your OGA membership revoked for that---- Heck I am thinking crazy lately--- We have been on vacation this week so we have been tooling around in the wife's mini van--- I have fell in love with that thing--- When the mini bulldog dies I am getting a mini van for me-- Of course my wife who knows me good said "well if you get one you will have to get you a set of overload springs because you will have 6 or 8 sets of golf clubs jammed in it----- She also quipped "as many fire breathing hot rod cars and trucks as you have had the thought of you in a mini van I don't know"--- Even though the Mini Bulldog is a 4 cylinder it ain't stock It has a Borla exhaust I salvaged off of a Honda CRX and several air intake mods and bigger fuel injectors that came out of a 6 cylinder jeep. I literally built that thing from junk. I also have a 6 speed manual trans in it that came out of a wrecked Durango.

Michael, I was just reading about the JPX900 forged. It's time for you to have an affair.

Those are some SWEET irons. :idhitit:

I seen 'em. They're sweet looking. They'd have to be pretty special to get me to get these 800s out of the bag.

You're too wise for WRX. Aha, I just created our new motto. Too wise for WRX

.......yet we're here anyway.

....new motto theme song then... Grillester Golden Club Surprise

Well I tried to post on Sunday, but I had to go and rest

Then I set my sights on Monday and then I got it off my chest

I ain't ready for the ball yet, but I do arrange tee times

With a new club who's a real goodfriend of mine

Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, Grillster Golden Club Surprise

And I just can't live without you; can't you see it in my eyes?

I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too wise for WRX

But it doesn't mean I ain't been one who lurks...

Will you meet me in a booth, or will you meet me in a chair?

Will you like me just a little, just enough to show me that you care?

Well I tried to post it, so Gus will roast it, then we can toast it..

Well, I keep on thinkin' 'bout you, Grillster Golden Club Surprise

And I just can't live without you; can't you see it in my eyes?

Now I been one poor correspondent, and I been too, too wise for WRX

But it doesn't mean I ain't been one who lurks...

Will you meet me in a booth, or will you meet me in a chair?

Will you like me just a little, just enough to show me that you care?

Well I tried to post it, so Gus will roast it, then we can toast it...

Doo wop doo wop

Been quiet this week ladies and gents. I headed back to work on Tuesday and my wife is on afternoons. I've been exhausted and going to bed early. I've followed along from the sidelines.

I can feel your pain there-- We have been on vacation and she heads back Monday me on Tuesday

Stu, found me a bunch of persimmons today. El cheapo. Posted them in "No New Acquisitions?" over in Classics. A blond TP, Mac M43, a Joe Powell and couple of unusual ones. Damn near pee'd my pants. Scrounging nirvana. I'm a classical junkie.

Yep saw them and posted a comment --- Great hunt there--- I drooled over my key board early this morning--- Some of those Joe Powells can be a cannon too!!

When I win Powerball money, would be all over a Tesla Model S. Very bada** IMHO. Was merging onto the freeway the other day. Checking my rearview, noticed a strange vehicle coming up behind me. One that I didn't recognize. Being from the Motor City, we tend to pay attention to interesting automobiles seen on the road. Always seeing production prototypes around here as they are being tested.

As I was merging, that car zoomed by me. Had the window down, all I heard was the tires on pavement. And a very subtle whine. Dawned on me that it was a Tesla. First one I had seen in the wild. Wow, that thing flew by me effortlessly. Very exotic looking. Yeah, I could be all over a Tesla. As long as I don't have to drive more than 275 miles. But I got lotto money, so have a fleet at my disposal.

Then back to reality as I slowly merged onto the freeway in my mini-van. Using my turn signal that I forgot to turn off until I reached my exit several miles down the road. Sigh. Think I need to get some tickets today.

solution.

Stuffing cotton into a K15 would be problematic for a DIY'er. No access hole. But a simple tweak on any club that has a removable plug. Shorten the G25 to 45", thus decreasing the SW. Reading about the cotton ball tweak, used some of the Mrs. knitting yarn. Weighed out the necessary amount (quite a pile) to bring it back up to the target SW I was after. D4 IIRC. Removed the rear port screw and stuffed it in. Figured yarn was easier than cotton balls. If I didn't like the results, easier to fish out a long single strand of yarn than a zilly balls. Did what I wanted it to do, brought the SW up and quieted the notoriously loud G25. A lot. Have since read about using Polyfill to accomplish the same task.

Alas, it did nothing to improve the erratic ball striking. Was not fairway consistent with it. Spraying it all over the place. Operator error for sure. Then starting reading about small head, older drivers. A mini-driver in the current parlance of the discussion. Found a Titleist 983K cheap to try out last year. And it got things straightened out. Dramatically. Have since migrated up to a Titleist 905T (400cc) and my driving of the ball has been more consistent than it ever has been. Perhaps a slight loss of distance compared to a 460cc, particularly when the hit is off the sweet spot, but I'm playing from the short grass usually. The buds even remark that I'm "Mr. Automatic". LOL. The G25 is now long gone.

I still have a wondering eye. Wondering if there is a newer "whizbang" that will give me the same level of consistency and provide 30 extra yards.

I still have a wondering eye. Wondering if there is a newer "whizbang" that will give me the same level of consistency and provide 30 extra yards.

Here's the way I'm looking at this:

I too was always interested in the Golden Goose of consistency and distance until I realized that I wasn't actually giving up as much distance as I thought for a marked gain in accuracy. When you're consistently in the short grass and comparing your playing position for the subsequent shot versus your playing partners that are offline you will come to discover that it may only be a club and a half or so at most with you benefiting from a better lie and superior angle into the green. All of a sudden it occurred to me that I wasn't giving anything up and was in fact gaining an advantage. On my game on Wednesday I was actually using the same club on approach as my playing partner and I had hit a hybrid versus his driver with the key difference being that I was in prime position and he was offline somewhere. It's a bit like the old course management trade-off; do I leave myself my stock 100 yd. shot that I know I can make 9 times out of 10 or do I go longer off the tee and end up with a 60 yd. approach that is less certain?

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Precisely. The 30 extra was something of a "tongue in cheek" comment. It remains a function of making a perfect swing and ball contact. Since I can execute said swing periodically, it becomes a task of repeatability and consistency. As I've proven to myself that I'm physically capable. As it remains for all of us in our pursuit of playing as well as possible. Just that as I've gotten older, there has been distance loss. Very real, and I don't like it. But its inescapable.

I watch one of the buds that can hit the ball a mile. Unfortunately, he never knows quite where its going. His seconds are often in the netherlands. I'll gladly take shorter and in the fairway every time. We've had this discussion before. You and I. What things can we do to play better? Have control over, that doesn't necessarily require raw distance. Course management, a reasonably proficient short game, and putting. The days when I'm doing all three with some degree of effectiveness, I see the results by what is on the scorecard. (Though score is not necessarily the sole criteria of a good round. I digress). An effective short game, being in the right position, executed the correct shot, will cover a lot of sins and errors. I certainly get ample practice. And sinking a few putts along the way always helps.

What you have to do is keep the classic club collections quiet, if too many have the same idea they will suddenly become more expensive than new clubs, as is the case now with classic cars. The few I have I am hiding waiting for the day to come. Problem is at my age there ain't too many left.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)