Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)

Hey Bill. Remember the high school days? Most football coaches were also teachers and made

a teacher's salary. Imagine you're a college teacher at the University of Alabama making a teacher's

salary and the football coach is making 8 Million a year? I've often wondered what teachers at

these colleges think about stuff like this.

When you just look at the money Alabama football is bringing in thanks to Nick Saban I guess you

gotta say he's worth every penny of that 8 million......but still, if you're a teacher there.......it must

blow your mind. I guess they're used to it though. It didn't just start happening yesterday.

There is no way under any stretch of the imagination a football coach is worth 8 million. Just too much money in sport now, full stop. In the Australian sports scene it's peanut size compared to the USA but they still earn millions and I cannot see where the value is. OK so they dedicate their lives to it, so do doctors and many others who perform dangerous and essential services, I cannot see where a footballer is an essential service so he is not worth what they are being paid. It's not that long ago that our league players were part time and had a proper job during the day, now look at them, minimum work and a fortune in pay, big headed with it.

It's just a matter of dollars and cents Tol. What Nick Saban has done for Alabama football has brought

in way more money than what he gets paid.

It's an old argument bringing doctors or teachers or whoever into the discussion so as to illustrate what a

person's worth is to society compared to an athlete or a coach. In the USA people are not compensated

according to what they contribute to the greater good. They are compensated according to the value they

bring to an enterprise in a free and open market.

I'm not rich or ever will be. I simply do not care what the income is of other people. All power to them to

make as much money as they can or want.

Think about it. What you are saying is that you want to be the one who determines how much money

someone makes, based on their "worth" to society, according to you. Let me know when you've

calculated how much a college football coach should be paid and how you came up with that number. :D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition Driver 10.5 w/TFC 50D

Ping Rapture V2 50th Anniversary Edition 3W 16 w/TFC 50F

Ping Rapture V2 5W 19 w/TFC 939F

Ping G410 Hybrid 22 w/Accra FX 2.0 

Callaway RAZR X 5-SW w/Callaway Steel Uniflex

Ping Gorge Tour 60 Lob Wedge w/KBS Wedge

SLED Gemini

Hey Bill. Remember the high school days? Most football coaches were also teachers and made

a teacher's salary. Imagine you're a college teacher at the University of Alabama making a teacher's

salary and the football coach is making 8 Million a year? I've often wondered what teachers at

When you just look at the money Alabama football is bringing in thanks to Nick Saban I guess you

gotta say he's worth every penny of that 8 million......but still, if you're a teacher there.......it must

blow your mind. I guess they're used to it though. It didn't just start happening yesterday.

I get a kick out of Saban Rad, I know some people don't especially up north, but I kinda like his approach to stuff... he's pretty much to the point without being nasty

and then he gets taken out of context. What else was he supposed to do for example when he kept getting asked the same type question again and again. I could see them overdoing it from way up here, and his answer was just what it should have been I thought, or I must be like him too, hahahaha

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCQfzbfb4Y

There is no way under any stretch of the imagination a football coach is worth 8 million. Just too much money in sport now, full stop. In the Australian sports scene it's peanut size compared to the USA but they still earn millions and I cannot see where the value is. OK so they dedicate their lives to it, so do doctors and many others who perform dangerous and essential services, I cannot see where a footballer is an essential service so he is not worth what they are being paid. It's not that long ago that our league players were part time and had a proper job during the day, now look at them, minimum work and a fortune in pay, big headed with it.

It's just a matter of dollars and cents Tol. What Nick Saban has done for Alabama football has brought

in way more money than what he gets paid.

It's an old argument bringing doctors or teachers or whoever into the discussion so as to illustrate what a

person's worth is to society compared to an athlete or a coach. In the USA people are not compensated

according to what they contribute to the greater good. They are compensated according to the value they

bring to an enterprise in a free and open market.

I'm not rich or ever will be. I simply do not care what the income is of other people. All power to them to

make as much money as they can or want.

Think about it. What you are saying is that you want to be the one who determines how much money

someone makes, based on their "worth" to society, according to you. Let me know when you've

calculated how much a college football coach should be paid and how you came up with that number. :D

A box of chocolates? :)

I agree with what you say and cannot offer any logical discussion to refute it, I know he is paid relevant to what his value is to the college but I still think the values of society are screwed. It happens over here, people are paid enormous amounts because of a good playing record, this brings in advertising revenue and sponsorship. I would imagine his contract is written in a way that takes success into account, this is very common in performance based team sports. I think perhaps I have been working in the wrong job.

Way down under in (not New Orleans) Australia.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Kindly donated by mdgboxx and worn with pride

A definite geezer of some repute, ( I think ).

I get a kick out of Saban Rad, I know some people don't especially up north, but I kinda like his approach to stuff... he's pretty much to the point without being nasty

and then he gets taken out of context. What else was he supposed to do for example when he kept getting asked the same type question again and again. I could see them overdoing it from way up here, and his answer was just what it should have been I thought, or I must be like him too, hahahaha

[media=]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiCQfzbfb4Y[/media]

That's awesome! The only thing worse than the canned response is the proclivity of interviewers to ask the stupid question... :wacko:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

When it comes to wages/salaries that some folks in society earn it all comes down to supply and demand. If there are lots of people who can do a job, the value that society places on it won't be very high. That even applies to doctors or police/fire fighters and the like as there will always be a ready supply of those willing to do those jobs at a proficient level. But, when you're talking about famous athletes, artists, musicians, even someone capable of running a Fortune 500 company the supply is very limited. There's only one Nick Saban just as there's only one Lady Gaga and as a result they earn millions due to scarcity and a big enough demand for what they can do that few, if anyone else can.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Always wondered why,if the football programs bring in enough money to pay a coach and his staff close to 12 million a year,the other

non sports areas need so much tax payer money. I understand the money talks. But ,someday the golden goose will start asking why

a college professor needs to make 170 grand a year to work 25 hours a week,for 9 months a year? Gee...now that I think about it,our Congress,

which works less than 30 hours a week,and makes more than that......Geeeeze...forget all the above....the payroll needing looked at is not

on the college campus !

And thats the end of that. I'm done !

To quote a college professor I had, when I visited him after graduation. I needed help, thought he might give me a few leads. I was making $3.35 an hour, minimum wage, working as an "accountant " for a local guy. The prof made the statement, "If all you can get is a minimum wage job, that's all you're worth."

Same with the coaches, company big shots, athletes, Phil Mickelson, Tiger, and others. If they're making 9 million a match or millions a year coaching or playing sports, they MUST be worth that.

And the pity of it all, is that the lowest on the wage strata pay for it all.

Snow on the ground this morning.

I remember back in the day when all of the local football club's players had regular jobs. My grade 9 teacher played linebacker and was the defensive captain and signal caller. He went on to be elected into the CFL Hall of Fame. He was one tough customer who went directly from high school to the pros and had to earn his teaching degree in the off season. He was in his mid thirties by the time I had him and near the end of his teaching career, but I can still remember him doing workouts with wind sprints in the spring as he prepared for training camp. Our pro football season runs from June till November so it didn't interfere too much with teaching.

There were two large steel mills in town back then and quite often footballers would be given a job in one of the mills for the winter to keep them in town and then they'd have the summer off to play. It didn't see to bother anyone either. I think it may have even helped with fan support as the players actually were a part of the community year round and just like any other bloke working a night shift on the blast furnace.

Those days are gone, but it's not like CFL players are getting rich. The contracts are at pretty normal pay for most positions other than quarterback or that standout receiver or rush lineman. I know that I would subject my body to the sort of pounding it takes playing football for a league minimum wage. Needless to say, in the CFL having an after football career is essential with many staying on in the community after their playing days. A couple are lawyers, another owns a series of coffee and donut shops, teachers, financial advisers, anything that allows them to leverage a known name and that includes politics!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

One thing that always amuses me is the preferred job option of the ex rugby players. The top line players always find jobs as sports presenters or politicians, never doing a really good job of either, most of them have problems putting a legible sentence together.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Snow on the ground this morning.

Same here or at least the beginnings of it. Today and overnight are supposed to be snow days, but we are far enough south that there will only be a limited accumulation which will be washed away by milder temperatures and rain coming this weekend and into next week.

The long range winter forecast came out over the weekend and it's calling for a long and cold winter for this region with below normal temperatures that we've experienced in October and November persisting into the new year before we get an extended thaw after which we will go back into the freezer again! Storm wise it will be less active, so hopefully we get a quite a bit less snow than last winter which would be most welcome.

A couple of lady friends are down in Florida now at their winter home. So jealous! They will be there until April. Another friend just came back after going down for Thanksgiving to open up their trailer. His mother would be down there already, but she's having hip replacement surgery next week. She still thinks she's going down this winter, but Chuck is less certain. Perhaps March for a month is a more realistic goal.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

One thing that always amuses me is the preferred job option of the ex rugby players. The top line players always find jobs as sports presenters or politicians, never doing a really good job of either, most of them have problems putting a legible sentence together.

I'm not surprised. Too many whacks up side the head!

Matt Dunnigan is a colour commentator for football games up here. He played quarterback and eventually had to retire due to post concussion syndrome after a long a fruitful career on the playing field. He's quite outspoken about the effects of concussion and uses his job as a bit of a pulpit to preach about the impacts of head injury. He views his job as therapeutic in that it forces him to gather his thoughts into legible sentences. The first ten years were really a struggle, but he is finding it easier now as time goes on. He figures that he would have ended up a mush melon if he hadn't forced himself to do what he's doing.

It's pretty shocking when you see what the after affects of these severe contact sports can have on the body as participants age. When you have members of former championship teams come out on the field with walkers and canes, other guys clearly not knowing where they are or what is going on. The teacher I had in grade 9 is one of those guys as he is in his 70's now suffering from Alzheimer's and using a walker. A family member had to guide him onto the field and stay with him so that he didn't get agitated. It's just sad... :(

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Indeed Sco, very sad. Football has a real problem on it's hands with CTE. For years, they attempted to deny its impact. Only in the last few have owners and league management become "slightly" more forthright with admission of its existence. No doubt forced my the on-going litigation and financial settlements to players. All the concussion protocols that are now in place. That a few scant years ago were non-existent. The motivation as a result of threats to their pocketbook rather than a overriding concern for the protection of the participants. Both current and prior.

Anecdotal, but an observation that I find relevant. My next door neighbor was a long time "commissioner" of pee-wee football in my town. He mentioned to me recently that participation at that level has fallen off my half. Significantly fewer young kids are playing. And in the mean time, participation in Soccer has risen dramatically. To the point where they do not have enough fields to easily accommodate all the kids playing. Boys and girls. On a Saturday, the fields are in use form daybreak until dark.

Why happens when these boys become H.S age? Will they suddenly stop playing soccer and begin football. My opinion, not likely. They are use to playing soccer, that's their sport. And every H.S has a soccer team. Without even considering the parental objections to their child playing football. In addition, I've seen a rapid rise of kids now playing Lacrosse. Even in my small community, there are "pee-wee" Lacrosse teams and the local parks and rec will be opening four new fields next year. The H.S. now has a team that competes at the league level. Move closer in to suburbia, lacrosse has become big.

The point. I once thought that football, as we know it, would always be played. With rule changes to better protect the player, improved equipment (helmets), improved diagnostic protocols, the game would continue as its been. Now, not so sure. If you have kids not participating at the formative stages, the entire pipeline of players from the pee-wee level, though H.S. and college, all the way to the professional level will begin to break down. Will there be enough active participants to support the 700+ college programs I mentioned earlier? I'm coming around to the idea that football as we know it today, will be substantially different 20 some years from now. Maybe sooner. And if one wishes to play at the highest levels, must sign a waiver that you acknowledge the inherent risks involved.

Once society places a negative value on this type of sporting endeavor, its days are numbered. And it's my belief that it is happening now. Football may one day be reduced to a "Gladiators in the Coliseum" type of "sport".

I played H.S. football. Got nothing against it. Enjoy watching the game, but not close to the same level as I once did. Never had a son, but I do now have a Grandson that I'm actively involved with. Given the choices available today, don't think I really want him to play the game.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Indeed Sco, very sad. Football has a real problem on it's hands with CTE. For years, they attempted to deny its impact. Only in the last few have owners and league management become "slightly" more forthright with admission of its existence. No doubt forced my the on-going litigation and financial settlements to players. All the concussion protocols that are now in place. That a few scant years ago were non-existent. The motivation as a result of threats to their pocketbook rather than a overriding concern for the protection of the participants. Both current and prior.

Anecdotal, but an observation that I find relevant. My next door neighbor was a long time "commissioner" of pee-wee football in my town. He mentioned to me recently that participation at that level has fallen off my half. Significantly fewer young kids are playing. And in the mean time, participation in Soccer has risen dramatically. To the point where they do not have enough fields to easily accommodate all the kids playing. Boys and girls. On a Saturday, the fields are in use form daybreak until dark.

Why happens when these boys become H.S age? Will they suddenly stop playing soccer and begin football. My opinion, not likely. They are use to playing soccer, that's their sport. And every H.S has a soccer team. Without even considering the parental objections to their child playing football. In addition, I've seen a rapid rise of kids now playing Lacrosse. Even in my small community, there are "pee-wee" Lacrosse teams and the local parks and rec will be opening four new fields next year. The H.S. now has a team that competes at the league level. Move closer in to suburbia, lacrosse has become big.

The point. I once thought that football, as we know it, would always be played. With rule changes to better protect the player, improved equipment (helmets), improved diagnostic protocols, the game would continue as its been. Now, not so sure. If you have kids not participating at the formative stages, the entire pipeline of players from the pee-wee level, though H.S. and college, all the way to the professional level will begin to break down. Will there be enough active participants to support the 700+ college programs I mentioned earlier? I'm coming around to the idea that football as we know it today, will be substantially different 20 some years from now. Maybe sooner. And if one wishes to play at the highest levels, must sign a waiver that you acknowledge the inherent risks involved.

Once society places a negative value on this type of sporting endeavor, its days are numbered. And it's my belief that it is happening now. Football may one day be reduced to a "Gladiators in the Coliseum" type of "sport".

I played H.S. football. Got nothing against it. Enjoy watching the game, but not close to the same level as I once did. Never had a son, but I do now have a Grandson that I'm actively involved with. Given the choices available today, don't think I really want him to play the game.

So true Fella, we have similar traits happening with rugby league and union, our contact sports, the playing rules with league have altered drastically over the past few years, what used to be acceptable and required tackling practices are now banned and receive suspension. There are calls for tackling to be banned in the junior games, making it a touch type sport, I can see the reason when we have had several teenagers killed playing recently. What used to be a recreation for school children is now looked at as a serious employment option because of the change in money available to top players, kids with the it could never happen to me attitude are throwing themselves into it with increasing vigour.

Funnily enough the main dissenting voices against the new rules come from sporting commentators who have never played the game at a serious level, when a player is sent off or penalised during a game they have endless reruns showing how it was not quite as bad as it looked, commenting that the referee was over reacting. Something had to happen with Rugby league as it was a brutal sport with many moves and tackles intended to cause harm, deliberate dangerous moves applauded by the fans.

Don’t know if it will move the way your game seems to be going, but there is a deliberate move to make the game more safe at every level.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

So true, we have that here at the college level, ex players doing commentary on the OSU games, getting people pumped for the next game. Giving you the inside story of how a guy practices up for the big game, or how he laces his shoes up, or what he's' thinking in the locker room on game day because they've 'been there'. You can tell though that they've been coached on how to broadcast, and finally set free at some point on how to sit before a camera and deliver these marvelous stories (way too soon though, kinda like a grape picked too soon to be used for wine). That's what I went to college for way back in at the end of the 60's and early 70's, broadcasting. So the only thing I have to show for it now is the local radio news intros and commercials I have done. Wish I had a way to attach an audio on here, I have no clue if there's a way to do that... I have a couple left that i probably shouldn't have but I do

So true, we have that here at the college level, ex players doing commentary on the OSU games, getting people pumped for the next game. Giving you the inside story of how a guy practices up for the big game, or how he laces his shoes up, or what he's' thinking in the locker room on game day because they've 'been there'. You can tell though that they've been coached on how to broadcast, and finally set free at some point on how to sit before a camera and deliver these marvelous stories (way too soon though, kinda like a grape picked too soon to be used for wine). That's what I went to college for way back in at the end of the 60's and early 70's, broadcasting. So the only thing I have to show for it now is the local radio news intros and commercials I have done. Wish I had a way to attach an audio on here, I have no clue if there's a way to do that... I have a couple left that i probably shouldn't have but I do

You have far more freedom on WRX than you would on the radio, you don’t have to prove to us in the OGA you are clever, we know you are just because.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

I agree with Fella about football. Someday in the future it will be looked upon as a barbaric game and

those who watch as barbarians, feeding the worst of their animal instincts. It will be considered a stain

on our country's history akin almost to the days of slavery.

SLED Gemini

Can you believe that people used to drive cars? Did they not understand how dangerous that was?

Thousands and thousands of people died every year in cars. Cars were not safe. No one would

drive a car these days but it makes you wonder about those people back then "what were they thinking?".

SLED Gemini

Can you believe that people used to drive cars? Did they not understand how dangerous that was?

Thousands and thousands of people died every year in cars. Cars were not safe. No one would

drive a car these days but it makes you wonder about those people back then "what were they thinking?".

The statistics were published this week of the most dangerous animals, those causing the most deaths. Sharks, which are forever hunted, crocodiles now being culled and snakes just going about their business.

The results were not as expected, horses and cattle were by far and away the most dangerous creatures for humans.

Kill all horses, kill all cattle, save humanity.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Latest painting by DW, a leveret. Has not photographed as good as it looks on the wall.

Wow, just wow, we've raised lots of rabbits as pets... this brings out that look they have so many times, getting ready to jump, run, binky (true rabbit word) slowly fall asleep, mosey over to something and eat, or just come over and cuddle with you? They may do any or some variation of those things at any time (it's up to them of course- they are a rabbit). This painting shows that perfectly. My hats off to your DW for capturing that :)

Latest painting by DW, a leveret. Has not photographed as good as it looks on the wall.

Wow, just wow, we've raised lots of rabbits as pets... this brings out that look they have so many times, getting ready to jump, run, binky (true rabbit word) slowly fall asleep, mosey over to something and eat, or just come over and cuddle with you? They may do any or some variation of those things at any time (it's up to them of course- they are a rabbit). This painting shows that perfectly. My hats off to your DW for capturing that :)

Thank you Sixty, I will be sure to pass on your comments :)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Very beautiful painting.

Cold, snowy here in wonderful Western Pennsylvania. Winter is early this year. Went to McDonald's for coffee with my 85 year old pal yesterday. Parking lot was a sheet of ice. I told my pal I wasn't going to venture out in snowy, icy weather. It's amazing, at 9:00am, most of the people sitting there were elderly. People just will not stay home, even in bad weather. Got to get their McDonald's coffee, $1 a cup.

A spill on the ice can mean millions of dollars, but will only benefit the personal injury lawyers.. The victim will spend the rest of his life in a wheelchair, counting his money.

I can recall our blizzard of 1993. I was ill with the flu, and home watching the news. At least three feet of snow fell that Saturday. Tow trucks were having windfalls. A pal, an alcoholic, was livid that the bar owner closed up at 1:00 pm.

Really something.

Let me add to the chorus of kudos praising that special painting, tol! She really has captured the personality of the critter. :good:

I'm looking at a transport truck parked at the side of the road. He's been there since midnight. I suspect he's making a delivery to the Chinese mushroom farm across the street. Not sure what to make of it really other than a curiosity. Hopefully he doesn't get stuck! It's not the easiest place to get into...

The snow has ended for now with not much more than a trace accumulation. I'm thankful that I won't have to deal with it as I'm still struggling with the aftermath of the post swimming reaction which is pushing on 4 weeks now. :vava: The weather has put a crimp in my walking and I need to get back to that even if it means heading out in this blustery weather.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Another wonderful painting by your DW Tol. Both you and her have a special gift for capturing

a tender emotion in an animal. It is simply amazing to me.

SLED Gemini

Great summary on many levels.

The first time I ever fully suited up, I felt immortal. I played pee wee through HS and the rush of full collision at full speed, nothing like it. I think of the head to head contact, there was quite a lot. Remember "battle scars" when you cracked heads so hard, the paint smeared from one guys helmet to the other?

No way around it, football is a very violent game and broken bones go along with it. The threshold keeps getting pushed with the combination of size and speed at the pro level. I cringe watching some of the hits and think, somebody is going to get killed out there.

Then again, all these guys lift so much, it's like super heroes clashing in armor suits of massive muscle in addition to their pads.

In NY, where I grew up, the transition to soccer was happening even back in the late 80s/early 90s. In fact, our coaches used to mock the soccer team, totally stupid thing to do, but times were different.

I can see how parents wouldn't want kids to play football.

However, whether it's the South, rural Midwest, West Coast, inner cities, I think football is deeply routed in areas where it's the game to play if you're a great young athlete and the history/culture of football is still so ingrained in the community.

Sixty, it’s clear why you are well regarded with the millenialls, you certainly have a of expressing yourself. Mrs TOL was more impressed with you comments than her painting. Once again dear friend thank you.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Tol, first of all, can you hang it straight? I mean, the right side is low. Sorry to bust your chops ; )

That said.

Verrrry nice painting. DW is taking things to a high level!

Besides the technical skills displayed in color, texture, and light. She combines both tranqulility and a quality of energy and life.

Please share my compliments ; )

Tol, first of all, can you hang it straight? I mean, the right side is low. Sorry to bust your chops ; )

That said.

Besides the technical skills displayed in color, texture, and light. She combines both tranqulility and a quality of energy and life.

Boy you'd think he was posting in the WITB section. :swoon:

Callaway Razr X Black 9.5 stiff
Callaway Razr X Black 4wd. stiff
Wilson CI9 4-gw. TT reg.
Cleveland RTG Wedges TT reg. 52,56.
MG ball
Cleveland Classic #4

That said.

Painting is hanging square, it’s me taking the picture, I have to move the camera round a little as there is too much residual light shining on it, for some reason the IPad camera seems to pick it up so I press the take button as soon as it clears, not always in position. Apart from that DW appreciates the comments, it’s pleasing to know someone other than us likes our work.

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

That said.

Boy you'd think he was posting in the WITB section. :swoon:

Didn’t you receive the memo, this is the most important thread on the site. ;)

Living the dream.

OGA Member no #8

Awhile back, there was a brief discussion about Top Golf. The one nearby me is about to open and the local paper posted a preview video of the facility. To anyone still curious about the enterprise, it's a good overview. Tried embedding, but perhaps a copyright issue.

https://www.freep.co...lls/2145586002/

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• GwrxMod changed the title to Clubhouse Grille (*** NO LIV DISCUSSIONS ***) (*** NO POLITICS/RELIGION ***)