2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

The "pivot" has been something that I've struggled with as of late. I knew my club should shallow and come from the inside but I wouldnt get it to happen. I have a higher swing speed and my arms were always moving much faster than my lower body so that was essentially never going to happen.

Fast forward to GG's 3 minute video (part 6 or 7 of the rotation series on YT) and it finally clicked that I NEED to start my lower half first before my arms. Finally started to groove this in but I saw instant improvements. Working on that pause at the top and kicking my left knee forward to get that rotation and I don't even have to think about what my hands are doing at that point. This is the big thing that I think has helped. Less Im in my head about my hands the better.

GG's videos has helped me a lot in having a better understanding about mechanics of the swing.

2nd Lesson with George Gankas (GGSwingTips)

Westlake Golf Course, Westlake Village, CA

April 1, 2017

I have been working with George since about this time last year. We started through messages online, mostly about my setup. In May 2016, I made the trip to Los Angeles to work with him in-person, and it was an invaluable experience. As good as his Instagram, YouTube, and membership site content is, it doesn’t replace actual hands-on instruction. Here is a comprehensive review of that lesson.

I continued working on GG principles. At first, I tried to do drills/slow-motion and let it blend it naturally, not a wholesale swing changes. I also used his practice games to try to separate mechanics work and target work.

Before George: career best 70, qualified for Missouri and Kansas Amateur multiple times, best finish at big state amateur event was 35th, handicap hovered around 0-1, and won one small tournament (after working with George online but before seeing him in person).

Since George: multiple rounds of 68-69-70, multiple tournament rounds of 70, improved to +1.9 handicap, won two more small tournaments, one Top-10 and one Top-15 in big state amateur events, and finished 14th in state Mid-Am Player of Year points to qualify for the state East v. West Ryder Cup-style team event.

After my season ended in October, I committed to the crossed-up feel and other stuff we worked on. From November-January, I had the best stretch of ballstriking of my life. 68-74 every round, including a 70 at Torrey during #TheWRX event.

George has been incredibly generous with his time and we kept in touch regularly through text. With my competitive season starting up again next month, I wanted an in-person tune up.

Here is a recent swing video to serve as a “before:”

[media=]

[/media]

During my two-hour lesson, we worked on:

• Top of the backswing. He always emphasizes a full shoulder turn. “I can’t think of a single great driver of the ball off the top of my head that didn’t make a full turn.” I was making a pretty good turn, but had a little too much tilt away from target. This caused me to lunge a little forward in transition. At the top, I need to feel a little tilt towards target now when I turn correctly.
  • Shallowing earlier in transition. In transition, I fight a narrowing/steepening move. George explained that I wasn’t necessarily “pulling down the arms,” but they were just “collapsing.”
  • Rotation. Even if I performed a good transition, my shoulder movements caused me to get jammed up. We really worked on “cleaning up the bottom,” getting more rotation, and a little more open at impact.
  • Mental game. Using his new FocusBand, he can now measure and observe players as they go through their pre-shot routine and shot. (Here's is Matt Wolff using it.) It was helpful to see what it feels like when he can see I'm in the right state of mind.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Transition:

The transition, and specifically shallowing, has always been difficult for me. I have very tight shoulders which causes some difficulty getting into external rotation. And I hate any conscious manipulation of the hands, wrists, or arms.

George showed me a couple good drills to feel the proper transition. It is a very dynamic move and causes a large stretch in the groin, back, and shoulders. He feels very strongly about this stretch causing the proper movements.

First, George would putt one alignment stick on the ground at a 45* angle pointing out from my hips. Using another alignment stick out the butt of the club, I would go to the top, then simulate transition and try to align the two sticks. When doing the legwork correctly, you’ll feel a crazy stretch, and the shaft will naturally lay down. I would go to the top, simulate that position, and then to feel it during a full swing. It is easy to see the shaft laying down on plane:

[media=]

[/media]

Next, we did the drill you’ve probably seen on his Instagram with an alignment stick laying on top of the arms at the top. This helps you feel “leaving the arms up” in transition. I got a video of this my first try, but it wasn't pretty, so here is an example from his Instagram.

Lastly, we worked on trusty freezers keeping my width (or add to it) and not allowing my arms to collapse.

[media=]

[/media]

I really need to feel the stretch as my left knee (and navel) rotate around towards the target and then keep (or add) width in my arms.

Taylormade TP5

Rotation:

George had a great explanation of rotation and the "kick up," so I grabbed my phone and made him do it again so I could memorialize it on video for future reference:

[media=]

[/media]

Here is another example/explanation from his Instagram.

I need to feel the left shoulder ripping back towards the camera, but I need to do it with the "kick up" to get my pelvis around too. He wants the shoulders and hips square to the target at 3:00.

George was hands-on and would show me the proper feel of the left shoulder ripping back and pelvis getting around. Here is a good video I took showing that.

Then we worked on the Towel Drill. (Note: He only wants this performed in half-swings. It is hard to keep connection when you get to the top of a full backswing, and it causes all sorts of compensations he doesn't want to see.)

[media=]

[/media]

And here is an after swing.

Taylormade TP5

Nice work! I have went to see him too (I'm not close to a scratch golfer) but my hdcp dropped 5 strokes and I have shot in the 70's multiple times after seeing him. I had never broke 82 before then.

That is incredible improvement, great job!

Taylormade TP5

Awesome work Q. Thanks for sharing that. Did you notice any increase in speed working on the wide stretch?

I did. With driver, I'm usually around 112 and was 115ish when we were working on that part.

Taylormade TP5

2nd Lesson with George Gankas (GGSwingTips)

Westlake Golf Course, Westlake Village, CA

April 1, 2017

I have been working with George since about this time last year. We started through messages online, mostly about my setup. In May 2016, I made the trip to Los Angeles to work with him in-person, and it was an invaluable experience. As good as his Instagram, YouTube, and membership site content is, it doesn’t replace actual hands-on instruction. Here is a comprehensive review of that lesson.

I continued working on GG principles. At first, I tried to do drills/slow-motion and let it blend it naturally, not a wholesale swing changes. I also used his practice games to try to separate mechanics work and target work.

Before George: career best 70, qualified for Missouri and Kansas Amateur multiple times, best finish at big state amateur event was 35th, handicap hovered around 0-1, and won one small tournament (after working with George online but before seeing him in person).

Since George: multiple rounds of 68-69-70, multiple tournament rounds of 70, improved to +1.9 handicap, won two more small tournaments, one Top-10 and one Top-15 in big state amateur events, and finished 14th in state Mid-Am Player of Year points to qualify for the state East v. West Ryder Cup-style team event.

After my season ended in October, I committed to the crossed-up feel and other stuff we worked on. From November-January, I had the best stretch of ballstriking of my life. 68-74 every round, including a 70 at Torrey during #TheWRX event.

George has been incredibly generous with his time and we kept in touch regularly through text. With my competitive season starting up again next month, I wanted an in-person tune up.

Here is a recent swing video to serve as a “before:”

[media=]

[/media]

During my two-hour lesson, we worked on:

• Top of the backswing. He always emphasizes a full shoulder turn. “I can’t think of a single great driver of the ball off the top of my head that didn’t make a full turn.” I was making a pretty good turn, but had a little too much tilt away from target. This caused me to lunge a little forward in transition. At the top, I need to feel a little tilt towards target now when I turn correctly.
  • Shallowing earlier in transition. In transition, I fight a narrowing/steepening move. George explained that I wasn’t necessarily “pulling down the arms,” but they were just “collapsing.”
  • Rotation. Even if I performed a good transition, my shoulder movements caused me to get jammed up. We really worked on “cleaning up the bottom,” getting more rotation, and a little more open at impact.
  • Mental game. Using his new FocusBand, he can now measure and observe players as they go through their pre-shot routine and shot. (Here's is Matt Wolff using it.) It was helpful to see what it feels like when he can see I'm in the right state of mind.

Q: Thanks for the write-up. Was the full shoulder turn just a problem with driver or were you tilting away on irons as well?

My cleek is sometimes peevish.

Thanks to Dave, for reference:

Transition:

The transition, and specifically shallowing, has always been difficult for me. I have very tight shoulders which causes some difficulty getting into external rotation. And I hate any conscious manipulation of the hands, wrists, or arms.

George showed me a couple good drills to feel the proper transition. It is a very dynamic move and causes a large stretch in the groin, back, and shoulders. He feels very strongly about this stretch causing the proper movements.

First, George would putt one alignment stick on the ground at a 45* angle pointing out from my hips. Using another alignment stick out the butt of the club, I would go to the top, then simulate transition and try to align the two sticks. When doing the legwork correctly, you’ll feel a crazy stretch, and the shaft will naturally lay down. I would go to the top, simulate that position, and then to feel it during a full swing. It is easy to see the shaft laying down on plane:

[media=]

[/media]

Next, we did the drill you’ve probably seen on his Instagram with an alignment stick laying on top of the arms at the top. This helps you feel “leaving the arms up” in transition. I got a video of this my first try, but it wasn't pretty, so here is an example from his Instagram.

Lastly, we worked on trusty freezers keeping my width (or add to it) and not allowing my arms to collapse.

[media=]

[/media]

I really need to feel the stretch as my left knee (and navel) rotate around towards the target and then keep (or add) width in my arms.

Hey Q, regarding the part above that I bolded, can you describe more about where he put the alignment stick on the ground? 45* out from which hip and in which direction? Thanks bro!

I might be wrong but I think he means like this:

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

Taylormade TP5

Knee Rotation and the Tush Line by Brady Riggs

[media=]

[/media]

This leg work really feels alot like a GG move.

especially getting the left knee rotated early in the downswing.

Right

it looks very GGish.

Many Hands make Light Work. Many Eyes make Accurate Work. gWRX - the Greatest golf forum on the Internets :).

Thanks to Dave, for reference:

Transition:

[media=]

[/media]

[media=]

[/media]

Hey Q, regarding the part above that I bolded, can you describe more about where he put the alignment stick on the ground? 45* out from which hip and in which direction? Thanks bro!

I might be wrong but I think he means like this:

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

I believe you are correct. In a Y-tube series He also references that same 45 degree placement with the club while at same time the rod thru hus belt indicating hips open 45 to another rod on ground.

As to the arms he says its a exag teaching point --ie "youlll never get there" but its a exagerated thought

has anyone worked on their left shoulder working lower and away from their chin while pivoting? as per a post I made below:

http://www.golfwrx.c...0#entry15294830

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

has anyone worked on their left shoulder working lower and away from their chin while pivoting? as per a post I made below:

Yes DW pointed it out to me. I also found this interesting see from 2.50 onwards;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7b4OwVdR3g&t=1014s

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Yes DW pointed it out to me. I also found this interesting see from 2.50 onwards;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X7b4OwVdR3g&t=1014s

The "invert" feel from that video literally changed my swing and my game overnight. I shot an 84 the weekend before I watched it and a 72 the weekend after. My range sessions since then have been the best continuous ball striking I've ever experienced.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

I have finally read through most of this thread. It took me like a week to get through! Really some good stuff going on here. I have been working on GG principles for about 2 weeks now supplemented with his online membership stuff. I am going to send him in a swing to see how things are going and what I need to focus on. I have taken bits and pieces from the thread to help out. Something that has helped me for sure is making sure I get a full shoulder turn and to feel like I am extending or standing up in the BS. From there the only thing I feel I can really do is squat and turn. Still working on P6 through impact to get the club face a bit more square.

Two questions for someone: I know he wants you to have width in your backswing. How do you guys get your feeling for having that right are more extended to keep your width? With the driver I feel like I am stuck with the weight on my toes and they don't transfer to the outside left heel? Thanks.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

I have finally read through most of this thread. It took me like a week to get through! Really some good stuff going on here. I have been working on GG principles for about 2 weeks now supplemented with his online membership stuff. I am going to send him in a swing to see how things are going and what I need to focus on. I have taken bits and pieces from the thread to help out. Something that has helped me for sure is making sure I get a full shoulder turn and to feel like I am extending or standing up in the BS. From there the only thing I feel I can really do is squat and turn. Still working on P6 through impact to get the club face a bit more square.

Two questions for someone: I know he wants you to have width in your backswing. How do you guys get your feeling for having that right are more extended to keep your width? With the driver I feel like I am stuck with the weight on my toes and they don't transfer to the outside left heel? Thanks.

a feel I often use when I get narrow on the backswing is to FEEL like the right arm stays dead straight all the way to the top, it of course won't but that's the feel for me.

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

I like applying GG's concepts to help with my problem of a steep/in to out swing. It helps to use a smartball or an alignment stick when I work on rotating left and leaving the club at the top. Instead of using these training aids/drills to get more lag/handle drag like I used to, I've had better results using them to reinforce GG's concepts. In the past when I've tried to "swing left" I hit weak wipey cuts, so the key for me has been to stay wide and shallow in transition. I'm thinking about an in-person lesson as it's still a work in progress to take from the range to the course-especially after a couple weeks/months off.

Strangely enough today was the first time I have videoed my swing and I didn't like what I saw much. Having a tv behind me, a light above me and the wife sat to my right probably didn't help but it was pretty ugly. I have been hitting the ball well with my right arm lucsak method. I decided to try the GG pivot and boy did it seem low. The biggest problem was the extending up. I may try it on the range without a ceiling to inhibit me. You could drive a lorry through my legs though

a feel I often use when I get narrow on the backswing is to FEEL like the right arm stays dead straight all the way to the top, it of course won't but that's the feel for me.

Thanks for the feeling. Its weird cause today it finally felt like I was keeping my hands high through the turn and having my shoulder bring the club into position. I could feel the club laying down and all I was doing was turning. Pretty crazy. I think I thought I was keeping my hands high starting the DS but in reality they were getting pulled down and screwed up all the timing. I will have to work on staying down b/c the ball was getting a lot of height.

[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra RadSpeed[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra SZ 3 Wood[/size][/font][/color]
[font="helvetica, arial, sans-serif"][color="#a4a4a4"][size=2]Cobra Fly-Z 2/3 Hybrid[/size][/color][/font]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King Forged Tec[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Cobra King 50/54/58[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#A4A4A4][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=2]Scotty Cameron Del Mar[/size][/font][/color]

• 2 weeks later...

I saw a GG video where he said goat humping was from sticking your butt out at address and he said to set up like the little old ping man with butt under,slumped shoulders and head down not the classic chin up crap. It solved my extreme goat humping immediately.

Yes, but from personal experience, be careful not to overdo the GG "Pingman" setup. I didn't think it would be easy to overdo but I found out from watching my own video clips. The most important thing is to get rid of the curve in your lower back. Check your address position in a mirror. What works best for me personally is to just slightly tuck in the butt, take out the low back lordotic curvature, and stand relatively tall (not too bent over) to leave room to squat/pivot on the downswing. From a down the line view, a straight line should ideally run through your armpit creases, knee caps, and balls of feet, and neck/head should be in a neutral relaxed position (don't tuck or stick out chin). GG has shown on IG that to get the feel of the desired low back position, stand to the side of a mirror in address position and take your left hand and manually press back on your abdomen enough to take the lordotic curve out of the lower back. He has shown this to several of his students to get them into his 'stock' setup. I recommend this "pressing on the abdomen" move while watching in the mirror- you should note that your abdominal core muscles will feel more engaged for the swing. Try to replicate this feel and setup on the range and verify with video or mirror. Consistent setup will translate into more consistency with swings, so it important to get it right. Everyone will obviously look a little different at address- just find what works for you.

An old post, but I wanted to come on and thank you for your explanation - I was struggling as I was overdoing the pelvic tuck - this helped!

I thought I was obsessed with golf, but after reading this forum you guys make me feel good about myself.

I was just browsing through the over the top technical jargon in the GG thread and found this post. Made me laugh.

In fairness to Gankas, he's pretty good at avoiding technical jargon and describing movements in plain language.