For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

I am sure many of you will remember The Move from Sevam1. When working on the "keeping the right leg external" I suddenly had to think about his "move" where he "screwed" his trail leg/foot clock wise into the ground. I think that this feeling, thought might help a lot by keeping the right knee external for just that little bit longer. It does for me.

Don't watch the video because the cameraman will drive you nuts. :)

[media=]

[/media]

I think Casey the dog was the true star when this was popular.

I heard from a legit source that CH3 was really struggling nailing the pivot.

We never really mention too much about the pivot. Charles his issues stem from his backswing. His right arm structure and in transition it getting narrow. His body pretty much reacts to that. I still talk to Charles weekly we are friends. I think your swing looks really good right now and from what he's working on he should stay The course. He's pretty much working on the same stuff.

As for George's information it doesn't matter who or where we get our information from as long as we do a good job helping people get better. That's all that really matters.

I'm having a really hard time getting this move down with the driver. It's much easier with the irons for me to "leave hands high and rotate". With driver I have tendency to rotate correctly but pull handle and hit some massive pulls or horrible slices.

Slow motion work is easy but as soon as I add speed it gets out of whack. How long did it take to translate to the driver?

I'm having a really hard time getting this move down with the driver. It's much easier with the irons for me to "leave hands high and rotate". With driver I have tendency to rotate correctly but pull handle and hit some massive pulls or horrible slices.

Slow motion work is easy but as soon as I add speed it gets out of whack. How long did it take to translate to the driver?

I think it all boils down to how much you are able to shallow the shaft on the downswing. Have you seen yourself on video? It's very easy to get steep with the driver. With irons, you can definitely get away with less shallowing because they have ample loft, so side spin is not as big an issue. So you may be "leaving your hands high" while still pulling down some, or not allowing the wrists to melt down and letting the left wrist to bow, and still hit it straight, a little fade or even a draw if you get wristy at impact. With the driver, that will simply not work. I think one way to experience a shallow driver shot is to exaggerate taking the club back outside the hands and getting the shaft more vertical at the the top of the backswing. Then really leave your hands up there, with no tension in the wrists or shoulders, and turn. You should feel the clubhead drop vertically 2-3 ft. Try to imagine pushing a swing, when it gets to the top you need to let it get started all by itself before giving it a push. You have to allow the clubhead to start moving down by itself. It will also move around (i.e., out towards the target line) because your shoulders are turning and your arms are attached to them. Then, once all of that is in motion either continue to turn for a fade, or start straightening your right arm and supinating the left forearm (the combination of which arguably amounts to "swing to the right") to hit a draw. In either case, you need to keep your head an upper body back, otherwise you will get steep.

In my personal experience at least part of the problem is the fact that the driver is long, which favors a flatter swing plane. This may cause you to end up with your left arm pinned across your chest at the top of the backswing, with the hands pretty deep but not as high as you think, and with a cupped left wrist to complicate things further. Shallowing by turning is probably impossible from there. One thing that I believe helps is putting an alignment stick on the ground to your right, pointing at the ball at a 45 degree angle. Without giving it too much of a thought, try to line up the shaft over that stick as you come into the ball on the downswing. You may find that you need to relax at the top and slow down your shoulder turn on the downswing to get the shaft over the stick.

One other suggestion, use some foot spray to find out whereabouts on the clubhead you're striking the ball. Coming in steep and lunging forward will probably result in heel shots, while coming in shallow and keeping the head and upper body back will help hit the ball on the sweetspot.

For me the driver is easier, as the length apparently helps me get external with trail shoulder.........which is huge in GG's swing. Getting external just sets up the ability to come down from slightly inside and shallow'd.........The shorter backswing of the irons doesnt let me get external as easy---some days its there, the next its a struggle.

External is the feel of your right hand on the steering wheel and make a one-handed right hand turn..........

I think it all boils down to how much you are able to shallow the shaft on the downswing. Have you seen yourself on video? It's very easy to get steep with the driver. With irons, you can definitely get away with less shallowing because they have ample loft, so side spin is not as big an issue. So you may be "leaving your hands high" while still pulling down some, or not allowing the wrists to melt down and letting the left wrist to bow, and still hit it straight, a little fade or even a draw if you get wristy at impact. With the driver, that will simply not work. I think one way to experience a shallow driver shot is to exaggerate taking the club back outside the hands and getting the shaft more vertical at the the top of the backswing. Then really leave your hands up there, with no tension in the wrists or shoulders, and turn. You should feel the clubhead drop vertically 2-3 ft. Try to imagine pushing a swing, when it gets to the top you need to let it get started all by itself before giving it a push. You have to allow the clubhead to start moving down by itself. It will also move around (i.e., out towards the target line) because your shoulders are turning and your arms are attached to them. Then, once all of that is in motion either continue to turn for a fade, or start straightening your right arm and supinating the left forearm (the combination of which arguably amounts to "swing to the right") to hit a draw. In either case, you need to keep your head an upper body back, otherwise you will get steep.

In my personal experience at least part of the problem is the fact that the driver is long, which favors a flatter swing plane. This may cause you to end up with your left arm pinned across your chest at the top of the backswing, with the hands pretty deep but not as high as you think, and with a cupped left wrist to complicate things further. Shallowing by turning is probably impossible from there. One thing that I believe helps is putting an alignment stick on the ground to your right, pointing at the ball at a 45 degree angle. Without giving it too much of a thought, try to line up the shaft over that stick as you come into the ball on the downswing. You may find that you need to relax at the top and slow down your shoulder turn on the downswing to get the shaft over the stick.

One other suggestion, use some foot spray to find out whereabouts on the clubhead you're striking the ball. Coming in steep and lunging forward will probably result in heel shots, while coming in shallow and keeping the head and upper body back will help hit the ball on the sweetspot.

The alignment stick is probably a good start. My backswing is right where it is supposed to be, hands high and shaft down the line. I don't cross over like a lot of GG students. I have a rather quick transition so I know I need to deliberately let things get into place before I start ripping open my hips and chest. It's really just getting the shaft from the top to the slot I am having trouble with. I know my wrists aren't as oily as they should be so I need to work on that as well.

My contact is usually center.

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes I think I should play a full 18 using nothing but freezers on all full shots. Since I seem to hit the ball better that way.

I do it quite a bit. I tell my golf buddies, "it's going to be one those rounds."

They think it's a mental hang-up, like a hitch in the swing (ala Charles Barkley).

George would rather you not do it and let the mechanics just bleed into your normal swing, but when he has me doing tons of freezers for practice, it almost feels better to do it on the course!

its easy to slip into a habit of too much focus on the sit and the leg action, while trying to leave the arm feeling. It got so overdone for me it went full circle and became a arm swing

I need the feeling of doing the Snead squat, the legs and turn of the body at the same time.......then the feel of the arms left becomes a non-issue with them flowing naturally .......

Did GG delete his IG? I dont see it anymore. I left the paysite after a few months because I liked where it got me, so I expected no more access on the FB page. Just didnt expect it from the IG page

IG page is up and running. He posted this morning.

Darn....sucks to know. I never interacted with him on IG. Just used his site for 6 months and cancelled. I even said I loved the site and simply felt I got the improvement I needed from it.

Really surprised I got blocked.

Did GG delete his IG? I dont see it anymore. I left the paysite after a few months because I liked where it got me, so I expected no more access on the FB page. Just didnt expect it from the IG page

Darn....sucks to know. I never interacted with him on IG. Just used his site for 6 months and cancelled. I even said I loved the site and simply felt I got the improvement I needed from it.

Just go to the site through private browsing.

I never saw anything that linked your online account and your IG/Facebook logins. I really don't know why he would block anyone from his IG unless they are trolls. Otherwise its all free advertising for him

I never saw anything that linked your online account and your IG/Facebook logins. I really don't know why he would block anyone from his IG unless they are trolls. Otherwise its all free advertising for him

Yeah Im surprised. He didnt seem bitter at all that I stopped paying for the site. I dont troll on IG at all, and never trolled the FB page. I hope it was by accident.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I got to spend some time with Jake Gilmer last month and wanted to share some information that might be helpful to those doing the gg stuff.

We talked about amateurs implementing this model and Jake has found that 70% of the students who come in for lessons have the same problem when trying to properly rotate from the top: They use the path to square the face. In other words most supinate way too late or not at all and are forced to do this. Some will instinctively tip the shaft out at the top and some will be shallow early and cut across at the bottom, but in both cases it’s a problem. This is all due to the brain reacting to square the face. If you are the golfer that has always pulled the arms forward into impact this is for you.

The fix is to first get super dumped under by swinging way out to the right with an exaggerated rolling release that starts really early in the downswing. I’m sure many have seen the YouTube vids of GG doing this with students. If you want to rotate hard from the top of the swing and not be over the top, you have to supinate from what feels like the very top of the swing. You have to feel like you’ve completely rolled the hands over before you get to the ball.

I got to spend some time with Jake Gilmer last month and wanted to share some information that might be helpful to those doing the gg stuff.

We talked about amateurs implementing this model and Jake has found that 70% of the students who come in for lessons have the same problem when trying to properly rotate from the top: They use the path to square the face. In other words most supinate way too late or not at all and are forced to do this. Some will instinctively tip the shaft out at the top and some will be shallow early and cut across at the bottom, but in both cases it's a problem. This is all due to the brain reacting to square the face. If you are the golfer that has always pulled the arms forward into impact this is for you.

The fix is to first get super dumped under by swinging way out to the right with an exaggerated rolling release that starts really early in the downswing. I'm sure many have seen the YouTube vids of GG doing this with students. If you want to rotate hard from the top of the swing and not be over the top, you have to supinate from what feels like the very top of the swing. You have to feel like you've completely rolled the hands over before you get to the ball.

https://instagram.com/p/BazChIkhMG-/

Great timing! Yesterday at the indoor sim, I found I had lost some distance on many shots. My best shots felt like my hands were the "rolling release" you mentioned. Lesser shots were the result of dragging the handle with the "quick flip" of the face at the end, which reduced clubhead stability through impact and caused weak fades for me.

Jake's advice is not unlike Malaska's and Monte's concept of feeling "over the top from an inside path."

I don't think this has much to do with the Malaska move at all. Rather the opposite. Malaska wants you to square the face through steepening the shaft. GG wants you to have a shallow shaft which naturally opens the club face. You will therefore have to close the club face with your wrists and forearms. People who think that they can have "passive" wrists with the GG move are very much mistaken.

We talked about amateurs implementing this model and Jake has found that 70% of the students who come in for lessons have the same problem when trying to properly rotate from the top: They use the path to square the face. In other words most supinate way too late or not at all and are forced to do this. Some will instinctively tip the shaft out at the top and some will be shallow early and cut across at the bottom, but in both cases it's a problem. This is all due to the brain reacting to square the face. If you are the golfer that has always pulled the arms forward into impact this is for you.

The fix is to first get super dumped under by swinging way out to the right with an exaggerated rolling release that starts really early in the downswing. I'm sure many have seen the YouTube vids of GG doing this with students. If you want to rotate hard from the top of the swing and not be over the top, you have to supinate from what feels like the very top of the swing. You have to feel like you've completely rolled the hands over before you get to the ball.

https://instagram.com/p/BazChIkhMG-/

Great timing! Yesterday at the indoor sim, I found I had lost some distance on many shots. My best shots felt like my hands were the "rolling release" you mentioned. Lesser shots were the result of dragging the handle with the "quick flip" of the face at the end, which reduced clubhead stability through impact and caused weak fades for me.

Jake's advice is not unlike Malaska's and Monte's concept of feeling "over the top from an inside path."

Malaska actually teaches using the path to square the face. Malaska wants the club working in front of the body which cuts off rotation, while GG wants the club behind and the arms on the right side of the body. There was a gg vid a few months ago where he talks about how Trevino told him his intent was to swing way out to right field and roll the wrists. That’s what enabled him to rotate so much and not cut across it at the bottom.

I had a dream that all golf instructors across the galaxy were forced to wear a taser.

If they didn't even understand the definition of supination, but tried to use the word when they were actually talking about rotation that was not just supination, they would fall to the ground in a giant heap of voltage, with sparks flying out of their ignorant, flat-billed, ultra-confident-but-incredibly-incompetent, self-proclaimed 'I'm one of the best teachers in the world' butt.

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

Fun fact: Last week's episode of Modern Family had a scene at Westlake GC, just a few stalls from where GG teaches.

DTG0Ig8VAAMwZ3U.jpg

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

I noticed that kid shallowing out :taunt:

Titleist TSR3 8* / Fuji Ventus Black TR 6X               

Titleist TSR2+ / Fuji Ventus Black TR 7X               

Callaway UW / Fuji Ventu Black 8X

Edel SMS iron 4-5 / DG TI X100 /////  SMS PRO irons 6-PW / DG TI X100

Edel SMS 50V, 54T, 60T / DG TI S400/ BGT ZNE 130

Edel PROTO

Just found GG via the meandmygolf youtube post today. It seems like GG knows a crap ton about the swing, and the way his student swings reminds me very much of Jack's swing. It's interesting also how he notes he doesn't mind and in some cases might even encourage a little bit of internal

rotation at the top of the BS whereas most "perfect" swings actually are neutral to even externally rotated in the back arm at the top.

His rational makes perfect sense though (assuming you've got the right mechanics and kinetic chain going on). I just worry that if I start to adopt the pivot that my swing will get super jacked up without an instructor who also teaches it to guide me.

Doesn't Monte teach something similar? Was it he or somebody else who posted the video about Sam Snead while holding one of those big exercise balls between their legs and saying the first move from the top is a lead knee external rotate and you'd know you did it right if the ball falls out between your legs??

I'm taking Monte's clinic this summer hopefully so I may not try to fully adopt this until I can get some guidance. I'm literally on the opposite coast in the Us from GG so going to see him is out of the question.

Yeah Im surprised. He didnt seem bitter at all that I stopped paying for the site. I dont troll on IG at all, and never trolled the FB page. I hope it was by accident.

GG doesn't even run his own IG page.

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

Just found GG via the meandmygolf youtube post today. It seems like GG knows a crap ton about the swing, and the way his student swings reminds me very much of Jack's swing. It's interesting also how he notes he doesn't mind and in some cases might even encourage a little bit of internal

rotation at the top of the BS whereas most "perfect" swings actually are neutral to even externally rotated in the back arm at the top.

His rational makes perfect sense though (assuming you've got the right mechanics and kinetic chain going on). I just worry that if I start to adopt the pivot that my swing will get super jacked up without an instructor who also teaches it to guide me.

Doesn't Monte teach something similar? Was it he or somebody else who posted the video about Sam Snead while holding one of those big exercise balls between their legs and saying the first move from the top is a lead knee external rotate and you'd know you did it right if the ball falls out between your legs??

I'm taking Monte's clinic this summer hopefully so I may not try to fully adopt this until I can get some guidance. I'm literally on the opposite coast in the Us from GG so going to see him is out of the question.

GG and his instructors know a lot about the swing and they all are on the same page. If you go to see GG in LA, then you will get the same stuff as if you saw Jake Gilmer in Las Vegas. They are in communication all day long.

1. Titleist TSR4 9º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 6X (A1) (Swing weight: D4)
  2. Titleist TSR2 15º w/ MCA Tensei Blue CK Pro Prototype 80TX (D1 setting) (43" (-4 weight) @ D4.1)
  3. Titliest TSR3 18º w/ Fujikura Ventus Black TR 8X
  4. Titleist TSR2 21º w/ Fujikura Speeder EVO VII 757X
  5. Artisan HC 4-iron (23º) w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI
  6. Artisan MB 5-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (26º)
  7. Artisan MB 6-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI(30º)
  8. Artisan MB 7-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (34º)
  9. Artisan MB 8-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (38º)
  10. Artisan MB 9-iron w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (42º)
  11. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (46.5º)
  12. Artisan S grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (51º)
  13. Artisan DS grind w/ True Temper DGX100 120g TI (56º)
  14. WM Tiger replica w/ Fujikura MC X-firm putter shaft & Ping grip (E1 @ 34 3/8")

GG and his instructors know a lot about the swing and they all are on the same page. If you go to see GG in LA, then you will get the same stuff as if you saw Jake Gilmer in Las Vegas. They are in communication all day long.

How much are lessons from George Gankas vs Jake Gilmer?

Taylormade Stealth Plus Mitsu Kai'li White 70S
Taylormade SIM2 15  Tour AD DI 8S
Mizuno MP 20 3-PW ProjectX 6.0
Vokey SM7 54S and 60M
Cameron Newport 2 CT
Titleist ProV1x Left dash