2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

This is from the same lesson as the good videos he posted about backswing mirror work, these 2 videos on legs have some great nuggets on setup and pivot

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Honest question for the GG crew. I look at GG's instagram all the time. He clearly has some awesome ideas about the swing, about practice and playing, and generally seems like a pretty good dude. With that said, I want to hear some honest thoughts on this:

https://www.instagra...-by=ggswingtips

Look back at that kid's instagram. He had an awesome swing before, and now is clearly going with the Johnny Ruiz/Matt Wolf/GG prototype model. Those guys are all really good golfers, but I really do wonder if this move is appropriate for EVERYONE. Really - why would you take that kid that had a completely awesome swing and make him swing it essentially more like Jim Furyk? Is shallowing the club 45 degrees really THAT important?

Just starting to wonder whether this is getting a little overdone with the steep to shallow move.

That is quite the extreme for that student, but I don't think there is a "GG prototype model." He has a few guys that are extreme steep to shallow, Wolff being the most, but also much more traditional backswings like Sung Kang, Gretzky, Holden, Navarrete, etc. Josh Anderson is pretty laid off. I think Ruiz has actually worked a little away from the extreme.

The membership site goes through Backswing Basics:

What do I prefer? Whatever feels best for my players. I never come to them and say, hey you have to keep it dead perfectly on plane. What I care about is that you get your shaft parallel to the original (shaft plane) line in transition. So how does that setup for the backswing? I have a lot of players that will shift it very vertical... that's what I like and some of my players like. But there is a lot of great players who will get it very laid off and keep it on plane the whole time, and that's fine too. So I can go about it anyway you want.

And GG's comments on that Instagram you posted are pretty good:

• as you see it's an exaggeration. His real swing is better than most tour players by lots. Oh and you might want to look him up he has mad game so don't trip
  • the main reason I put this on is because this guy is a baller and he can swing anyway he wants and he will still be a bad a**. Also it's great to not see the same cookie cutter swing everyone post everyday so anything different to me that works I love. @elliotbowles dont fall into the category that most of the world falls into perfect looking swings win because they usually don't at the highest level. It's controlling your ball is all that matters in ball striking. No need to argue different is cool too

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Honest question for the GG crew. I look at GG's instagram all the time. He clearly has some awesome ideas about the swing, about practice and playing, and generally seems like a pretty good dude. With that said, I want to hear some honest thoughts on this:

Look back at that kid's instagram. He had an awesome swing before, and now is clearly going with the Johnny Ruiz/Matt Wolf/GG prototype model. Those guys are all really good golfers, but I really do wonder if this move is appropriate for EVERYONE. Really - why would you take that kid that had a completely awesome swing and make him swing it essentially more like Jim Furyk? Is shallowing the club 45 degrees really THAT important?

Just starting to wonder whether this is getting a little overdone with the steep to shallow move.

That is quite the extreme for that student, but I don't think there is a "GG prototype model." He has a few guys that are extreme steep to shallow, Wolff being the most, but also much more traditional backswings like Sung Kang, Gretzky, Holden, Navarrete, etc. Josh Anderson is pretty laid off. I think Ruiz has actually worked a little away from the extreme.

What do I prefer? Whatever feels best for my players. I never come to them and say, hey you have to keep it dead perfectly on plane. What I care about is that you get your shaft parallel to the original (shaft plane) line in transition. So how does that setup for the backswing? I have a lot of players that will shift it very vertical... that's what I like and some of my players like. But there is a lot of great players who will get it very laid off and keep it on plane the whole time, and that's fine too. So I can go about it anyway you want.

• as you see it's an exaggeration. His real swing is better than most tour players by lots. Oh and you might want to look him up he has mad game so don't trip
  • the main reason I put this on is because this guy is a baller and he can swing anyway he wants and he will still be a bad a**. Also it's great to not see the same cookie cutter swing everyone post everyday so anything different to me that works I love. @elliotbowles dont fall into the category that most of the world falls into perfect looking swings win because they usually don't at the highest level. It's controlling your ball is all that matters in ball striking. No need to argue different is cool too

Never seen the swing of Navarrete before, love the neck out and rotation! his swing looks a lot like scott piercys to me. I concur with the Ruiz comments, from his posts he seems to be erring on a more traditional backswing position when he's not doing drills.

I can fully see the reasoning behind being crossed up to help shallowing on full swings, especially with people who struggle with shallowing, I've just always wondered how hard is it going to be to get right when it comes to half & 3/4 wedge shots and things, especially with a case as extreme as Wolffs

I've just always wondered how hard is it going to be to get right when it comes to half & 3/4 wedge shots and things, especially with a case as extreme as Wolffs

It would be very hard. GG advocates being on plane with wedges

"Here I am showing how you can use a mirror to make sure you are hitting your checkpoints with a wedge. Start out with shoulders and thighs at a right angle to the mirror. By shaft parallel backswing or p2 the clubhead should line up with the hands and "hide" them. Number two the club should work above the forearm. Number 3 is to simply turn through the shot. This will keep you guys on a good shaft plane for your wedges and provide a way to self check your progress"

I've just always wondered how hard is it going to be to get right when it comes to half & 3/4 wedge shots and things, especially with a case as extreme as Wolffs

"Here I am showing how you can use a mirror to make sure you are hitting your checkpoints with a wedge. Start out with shoulders and thighs at a right angle to the mirror. By shaft parallel backswing or p2 the clubhead should line up with the hands and "hide" them. Number two the club should work above the forearm. Number 3 is to simply turn through the shot. This will keep you guys on a good shaft plane for your wedges and provide a way to self check your progress"

thanks for that, that then raises the question further that it would be hard to master 2 backswings? one for wedges and one for full swing? surely there'd be some bleed over from being very vertical in backswing to on plane with wedges?

thanks for that, that then raises the question further that it would be hard to master 2 backswings? one for wedges and one for full swing? surely there'd be some bleed over from being very vertical in backswing to on plane with wedges?

Definitely could be for some, but I think the brain knows there's not enough time for a massive shallowing on a short swing

Definitely could be for some, but I think the brain knows there's not enough time for a massive shallowing on a short swing

I was going to post something that said pretty much the same thing, so I'll just second this post.

Never seen the swing of Navarrete before, love the neck out and rotation! his swing looks a lot like scott piercys to me. I concur with the Ruiz comments, from his posts he seems to be erring on a more traditional backswing position when he's not doing drills.

I can fully see the reasoning behind being crossed up to help shallowing on full swings, especially with people who struggle with shallowing, I've just always wondered how hard is it going to be to get right when it comes to half & 3/4 wedge shots and things, especially with a case as extreme as Wolffs

This is always the problem I've had with it. I'd love to see Wolffe's wedge swings as I'm positive he doesn't swing it like that - or if he does, again, I'd love to see it just to see how that even works. I'm all about unique ideas, and again I absolutely have no problem with the guy and fully admit he's probably forgotten more about the swing than I'll ever know. I just see those swings and sort of cringe. They're awesome, but also seem almost to be the antithesis of what he teaches - which seems to be simplicity, lack of movement, all you do is turn, etc. I'm sorry, but if you're club is basically facing 45* across the line at the top, then there has to be some manipulation going on to get it back to where it needs to be. I don't really believe that all you have to do is sit, turn, and leave your hands up to recover from that position. I understand people will say that I just don't get it (and maybe I don't). I think my honest question is why is it bad for the club to be 45* laid off, but good for it to be 45* across the line? Wouldn't you just want it to be "zeroed" out at the top, if you will? And by "zeroed" out, I mean "basically as close to where you intend to start your downswing from."

*I fully realize that my use of numbers in this thread is totally imprecise. Just trying to describe what I see on the video.

Again, no slight intended on someone who is clearly a great coach and people who are clearly great ballstrikers/players. If I'm ever in LA, I'll pay the nut and go ask him these questions myself.

He's just having fun.

He doesn't swing like this in "real" life.

I really enjoy watching the GG videos on Youtube and on Instagram. I'm not sure his teachings are for everyone, but there is a large segment of the golfing community that could benefit from a better pivot - I'm one of them. Even as a low handicapper I still struggle with proper body rotation and EE. I've employed his "squat and lay it off" move into my practice sessions and its really helped. I think its very similar to Monty's "zipper away" drill, just delivered in a different package.

He seems very passionate about what he does and genuinely seems to enjoy teaching and seeing his students improve.

PXG Black Ops 10.5* - Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 6X

PXG Black Ops 15* - Ventus Velocore Red 7X

PXG  Gen3 3 Iron - Aldila RIP Phenom HYB 100 

PXG Gen5 0311T 4-P - DG120 X100

Titleist Vokey SM9 50*, 56*, 60* - DGTI S400

PXG Bat Attack H

Chrome Soft/Vice Pro Lime

Despite working on GG stuff and having an online lession with GG this past week, I went ahead and met with a local coach yesterday (my mother in law got me a package to a new facility for Christmas, so I figured what the hell)...

We started off with me showing him videos from October, talking about what I'm working on, and then proceeded to me hitting balls. He was completely amazed at the drastic changes I've made in the past few months. He hadn't seen GG's material or exaggerate moves, but when I showed him the feels I was going for, he liked it a lot.

My bad swings are where I end up sliding a bit (I used to be a huge slider). He was perceptive enough to pick this up. Where GG's move gets your left leg external and left hip to go back around -- this guy also wanted my left hip to feel back and around and he wanted me to 'keep my hips between my feet'. It was neat because he obviously didn't have the same pivot move or anything, but the underlying desired movements are ultimately the same.

On the launch monitor, I was getting about 165-170 carry with my 7i and swing speeds in the mid to upper 80s. These are very strong numbers for me. I was getting paths around 4 right with face at 2 right for a nice draw.

Now that my right arm isn't going further internal on the downswing, and instead going external, I feel like my arms aren't doing anything while hitting the ball.

Also, I found it most interesting, I had a sensation of 'space' to freely swing through which I had never had before. I really think this is a lot like Monte's zipper away. However, when I tried the zipper away, I very likely overdid it and actually ended up sliding, plus my rt arm was internal so I had no shot.

I always sucked at chipping too because my takeaway was always so inside. My full swing takeaway is improving a lot, and this is making chipping/pitching better also. The coach wanted me to feel above the plane on my chips which ultimately keeps me right on plane. He had a really good idea; I was impressed for sure.

I think the biggest improvement I have made is in the backswing and transition. From these, the rest of the swing is really starting to fall into place.

I always sucked at chipping too because my takeaway was always so inside. My full swing takeaway is improving a lot, and this is making chipping/pitching better also. The coach wanted me to feel above the plane on my chips which ultimately keeps me right on plane. He had a really good idea; I was impressed for sure.

I think the biggest improvement I have made is in the backswing and transition. From these, the rest of the swing is really starting to fall into place.

My chipping had gone from decent to horrible last year. Caught this article on golfwrx a month ago. I feel it fits with the GG swing as best of anything. The article sets a golfer hips over rear leg but moves chest fwd-------as it states all for improvement of a turn in a partial swing /chip............fits well with GG for a mini-swing

http://www.golfwrx.com/419546/the-new-and-improved-way-to-hit-chip-shots/

My chipping had gone from decent to horrible last year. Caught this article on golfwrx a month ago. I feel it fits with the GG swing as best of anything. The article sets a golfer hips over rear leg but moves chest fwd-------as it states all for improvement of a turn in a partial swing /chip............fits well with GG for a mini-swing

http://www.golfwrx.c...hit-chip-shots/

Good video. That does look in line with what GG says as well. He has said before if he ends up with chipping issues, it's because he can sometimes get tilted back too much.

I dont know if this is new or if anyone mentioned before but it looks like GG is offering a monthly subscription rate for $18 now. Just signed up!

This is a total game changer for me. Definitely signing up today. I just couldn't justify $200 at time of purchase but I can do $18 to see if I like it. Thanks for pointing it out.

I'm headed down to Phoenix in March from snow country for 3 days. Are there any Instructors even close to GG's philosophy anyone could recomend there?

Don't think so. On his site he list three certified instructors one works at same place as GG one in Vegas and the third one doesn't say where he teaches at.

http://www.golfwrx.c...hit-chip-shots/

Good video. That does look in line with what GG says as well. He has said before if he ends up with chipping issues, it's because he can sometimes get tilted back too much.

Yes I missed that video. Thanks for posting. Good content in there.

Despite working on GG stuff and having an online lession with GG this past week, I went ahead and met with a local coach yesterday (my mother in law got me a package to a new facility for Christmas, so I figured what the hell)...

We started off with me showing him videos from October, talking about what I'm working on, and then proceeded to me hitting balls. He was completely amazed at the drastic changes I've made in the past few months. He hadn't seen GG's material or exaggerate moves, but when I showed him the feels I was going for, he liked it a lot.

My bad swings are where I end up sliding a bit (I used to be a huge slider). He was perceptive enough to pick this up. Where GG's move gets your left leg external and left hip to go back around -- this guy also wanted my left hip to feel back and around and he wanted me to 'keep my hips between my feet'. It was neat because he obviously didn't have the same pivot move or anything, but the underlying desired movements are ultimately the same.

On the launch monitor, I was getting about 165-170 carry with my 7i and swing speeds in the mid to upper 80s. These are very strong numbers for me. I was getting paths around 4 right with face at 2 right for a nice draw.

Now that my right arm isn't going further internal on the downswing, and instead going external, I feel like my arms aren't doing anything while hitting the ball.

Also, I found it most interesting, I had a sensation of 'space' to freely swing through which I had never had before. I really think this is a lot like Monte's zipper away. However, when I tried the zipper away, I very likely overdid it and actually ended up sliding, plus my rt arm was internal so I had no shot.

What does right arm going internal vs right arm going external mean?

Anyone who was a member on the other site get instructions on how to gain access to the new site?

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1444796-gg-swingtips-members-new-website-different-membership/page__pid__14998434#entry14998434

He is putting out a lot of stuff lately, the newer videos are very close to what is on the membership site.

Usually means he'll add more stuff online

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

Been finding some success in improving my legwork by changing how I feel ground pressure in my feet in the backswing.

What's worked for me is actually feeling very little ground pressure in the backswing coupled with deep hip turn. Feels like I'm almost "twizzlering" my legs while turning in a barrel in the backswing. Almost the complete opposite feeling in the transition though. Huge amounts of ground pressure and legs will unfurl, left knee going around and right knee out.

Applying ground pressure too early in the backswing resulted in me jumping out of it during transition. Apply it in transition instead (with gg legwork) and it might make the find the GG legwork a lot easier if you're struggling.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Been finding some success in improving my legwork by changing how I feel ground pressure in my feet in the backswing.

What's worked for me is actually feeling very little ground pressure in the backswing coupled with deep hip turn. Feels like I'm almost "twizzlering" my legs while turning in a barrel in the backswing. Almost the complete opposite feeling in the transition though. Huge amounts of ground pressure and legs will unfurl, left knee going around and right knee out.

Applying ground pressure too early in the backswing resulted in me jumping out of it during transition. Apply it in transition instead (with gg legwork) and it might make the find the GG legwork a lot easier if you're struggling.

Could you explain "twizzlering"?

I'm guessing it's like this:

6dfd196acbf92db2b1ea4a78508ee6ed.jpg

Similar yes

She could use a little more hip rotation ;).

I (like probably many others), got pulled into the "restrict the hip turn" movement. I believe GG encourages the left knee to drop in on the backswing. I used to drop the knee in, but I failed to get that right hip moving back or turning, so I would just slide to the right side. Tons of weight and tons of pressure on the right side, but I would lose it all in transition.

So I had to re-learn how to turn properly in the backswing. To me it feels like my left knee and my right knees are going to pass by each other as the left knee goes away from the target and the back of the right knee goes towards the target from behind. This really causes my hips to turn and almost gets my butt facing the target by the end of my backswing. The left knee and back of the right knee passing each other gives me the feeling of "twizzler" feeling.

For me it feels like I'm properly creating energy to be released in the lower body, especially the hamstrings, quads, and glutes in both legs. It's like having a huge stretch or coil in the legs that's just begging to be released or go in the other direction. I had the hardest time doing the bucket drill when I was sliding in the backswing. Now that I'm getting rotation, it's super easy and all the work of getting the left knee around and right knee out is paying off.

Mavrik 10.5 Project X Riptide 6.5 Small Batch

Sim 17 Ventus Red 7X

Sim Hybrid 21 Ventus Blue 9X

3-5 P770  KBS C-taper 120

6-PW Blueprint KBS C-taper 125 ssx1

52,56,60 MG3 TW DG S400

GCQuad/SwingCatalyst/FLIR Blackfly/Fiberbuilt/Carl's Place DIY

Similar yes

She could use a little more hip rotation ;).

I (like probably many others), got pulled into the "restrict the hip turn" movement. I believe GG encourages the left knee to drop in on the backswing. I used to drop the knee in, but I failed to get that right hip moving back or turning, so I would just slide to the right side. Tons of weight and tons of pressure on the right side, but I would lose it all in transition.

So I had to re-learn how to turn properly in the backswing. To me it feels like my left knee and my right knees are going to pass by each other as the left knee goes away from the target and the back of the right knee goes towards the target from behind. This really causes my hips to turn and almost gets my butt facing the target by the end of my backswing. The left knee and back of the right knee passing each other gives me the feeling of "twizzler" feeling.

For me it feels like I'm properly creating energy to be released in the lower body, especially the hamstrings, quads, and glutes in both legs. It's like having a huge stretch or coil in the legs that's just begging to be released or go in the other direction. I had the hardest time doing the bucket drill when I was sliding in the backswing. Now that I'm getting rotation, it's super easy and all the work of getting the left knee around and right knee out is paying off.

great explanation... gonna give this a try as I've been struggling with the legwork as well.