For those that have applied the GG pivot

Kuuuch

Does anyone here have a hard time with this pattern when transitioning to wedge shots (say 30-135 yards)? I have only been to a range a limited amount of times this winter, but my experience is that I get an excessive amount of forward shaft lean and a "trappy" sort of sensation out of this type of swing. Therefore I tend to hit accidental nukes when trying to take something off a wedge or hit a soft pitch (in addition to hitting full short irons obnoxious distances). I really like the theory behind this pivot action but it seems like active arms (eg. Monte/Luczak) has been a better way to transition down the bag. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

Callaway Rogue ST Max LS (8), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX 

Taylormade SLDR Mini (12), Tensei CK Pro White 70TX

Titleist TSi2 (18), Tensei AV Raw White 85TX

Srixon U85 (22), PX 6.5

Ping i210 (5-UW), X100

Mizuno T20 (55.09, 60.06), S400

DFX 2 Ball Blade 

Srixon Z-Star XV

Even if I was actually talented, I don't think I'd ever self describe that way. Just sayin.

Lol realized that after I posted that it sounded dumb.

What I meant was, I was self taught, I shot around 80 after a year, got to scratch after around 2 years. And my swing has always been in flux. I can adapt to many things, hit different shaped shots, etc.

But I just can't get this damn move down even a little, and have been following GG on instagram for over a year. I really want to, as I would like to get the dynamic loft of my irons down quite a bit, and maybe pick up some speed

Being close to scratch or even single digit HC, something must be working very well. Is it even necessary to go down this path? In any case, you've tried the 'do nothing with your hands at top' while externally rotating the lead knee while flexing the trail? How about the 'no throws' drill? Post up vids and I'm sure his students can chime in.

Being close to scratch or even single digit HC, something must be working very well. Is it even necessary to go down this path? In any case, you've tried the 'do nothing with your hands at top' while externally rotating the lead knee while flexing the trail? How about the 'no throws' drill? Post up vids and I'm sure his students can chime in.

Not there anymore, that was in high school when I started playing golf. Didn't play for 4 years during college, now I've started up again the past year but of course not much time to play. I'd say I'm a 4-5 now

Will post a vid tho!

Not there anymore, that was in high school when I started playing golf. Didn't play for 4 years during college, now I've started up again the past year but of course not much time to play. I'd say I'm a 4-5 now

Will post a vid tho!

If you're a natural I'd say run! Get off this board before you're all messed up. You're gonna end up like me and Tinman, thats really him in his avatar...chasing those "feels". always chasing feels... :)

Will post a vid tho!

If you're a natural I'd say run! Get off this board before you're all messed up. You're gonna end up like me and Tinman, thats really him in his avatar...chasing those "feels". always chasing feels... :)

I'm a natural but I've never been consistent, hence why I said the swing was always changing, whether I wanted it to or not. Just would figure out how to make things work.

Also, my ballstriking, in terms of contact, has never been consistent, even at my best. I rarely ever get that "flushed" feeling.

Fairly random question...GG always describes ideal setup as balls of feet, kneecaps and armpits in one line. I have always taken my setup basically by standing straight, bending at the waist a bit, and then letting my knees soften. This puts my kneecaps well behind the balls of my feet and puts my armpits well in front. To do what GG describes I need what feels like a large amount of knee bend and then my upper body feels very upright compared to what I'm used to. How much knee flex is correct?

Edit: here's a picture. Ignore my turned out right foot in the second picture, was doing a drill.

Fairly random question...GG always describes ideal setup as balls of feet, kneecaps and armpits in one line. I have always taken my setup basically by standing straight, bending at the waist a bit, and then letting my knees soften. This puts my kneecaps well behind the balls of my feet and puts my armpits well in front. To do what GG describes I need what feels like a large amount of knee bend and then my upper body feels very upright compared to what I'm used to. How much knee flex is correct?

Edit: here's a picture. Ignore my turned out right foot in the second picture, was doing a drill.

Here is a picture of GG setup. Yours on left picture seem to be too much to the heels. Right picture knee bent looks fine. However back is too straight. Maybe camera angle is off, but on right picture shoulders seem to be a fraction outside the feet.

obfdgk9i.png

This really explains transition well and helping with keeping the width

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQEh0ngFBt6/?taken-by=ggswingtips

Driver: Taylormade M2 10.5* w/ Hzrdus Black 6.0 62g
3 Wood: Callaway Rogue Sub Zero 15* w/ Hzrdus Yellow 6.5 76g
2 & 4 iron: Callaway X Utility 18* & 24* w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
5-PW: Callaway X Forged '13 w/ Project X Pxi 6.0
Wedges: Callaway Forged 50, Vokey SM7 54S & 60L - DG wedge flex
Putter: Odyssey 2 ball XG 40" Armlock w/ winn grip and triple track alignment

Ball: looking for chrome soft replacement

Question, I've honestly never quite fully understood this and hopefully some others have the same question.

But, what is the correlation behind maintaining width and it's ability to not have you get stuck or be super late with the arms. Would I be right in saying because GG's guys have a ton a width and rotate, their hands are still in front of their hip at p6?

Not directly aimed at you Dave just anyone who knows

Will post a vid tho!

I'm here for free 'feels' giveaway???

Does anyone here have a hard time with this pattern when transitioning to wedge shots (say 30-135 yards)? I have only been to a range a limited amount of times this winter, but my experience is that I get an excessive amount of forward shaft lean and a "trappy" sort of sensation out of this type of swing. Therefore I tend to hit accidental nukes when trying to take something off a wedge or hit a soft pitch (in addition to hitting full short irons obnoxious distances). I really like the theory behind this pivot action but it seems like active arms (eg. Monte/Luczak) has been a better way to transition down the bag. Anyone care to shed any light on this?

I think the guys who have been there can expound but he uses a clock description in his short game videos he has posted on instagram and YouTube. That should take some of the speed. Hstead's description of the slow controlled pivot has helped me with the overall swing and the long pitches.

That being said I use iTeach's short game method and I think the two have been compatible for me.

Is this any help?

Question, I've honestly never quite fully understood this and hopefully some others have the same question.

But, what is the correlation behind maintaining width and it's ability to not have you get stuck or be super late with the arms. Would I be right in saying because GG's guys have a ton a width and rotate, their hands are still in front of their hip at p6?

Not directly aimed at you Dave just anyone who knows

Imo its because typically the wider/more behind your arms are the more you can rotate and its easier to bow the L wrist as well. The opposite would be pulling with the hands, bending L wrist, and trying to get really open with body would make you steep and wipey then. Matchups matter, like he says

I'm self taught, talented/athletic, have changed many things in my swing all the time, but I cannot do the GG move

Post a swing

Pro Caddie & I teach golf

Driver: PXG 9* ; HZDRUS Handcrafted 63 6.0

Long Game: PXG 13*, PXG 16*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 83 6.5 (flip between the two)

Driving Iron: PXG 0311 4 iron bent 17.5*; ProForce VTS 100HX 

Hybrid: PXG Gen 1 19*; HZDRUS Handcrafted 100 6.5

Irons: NIKE CB 4-PW Raw finish ; Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour Stiff (.25 inch gapping)

Wedges: Titleist SM9 50*, 54*; True Temper DG S300 (36 inches)

L-Wedge: Custom 60*; KBS Tour Stiff (36 inches)

Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Design #5 35 inches: Super Stroke GP Tour

Ball: ProV1x

I've found myself drawn to this and would love to take lessons off GG but location and probably money would not allow this so I'm going to try and implement this over time. I don't have a major amount of time spare due to work and family so not many hours a week.

But even something as simple as the setup he advocates ; shouldler,knee and balls of feet have helped in getting my legs more involved and producing better shots with even this small change.

That's what I thought guys.

Wolf - that's a good feel you shared. Thx

Happy to help Tin. As a reformed flipper this is something I've worked on a lot.

There's a good Dan Whittaker video on this which I'll post later.

Looking forward to seeing the Whittaker video.

Sorry for the delay.

Watch from 1:30 onwards. Talks about this exact issue.

I like his pivot, and combined with some other leg moves I've really understood the process of using my lower body to drive the swing. Its always a lot more exagerrated than I ever imagined. Can't seem to ever be able to over do it. I love the leave the hands behind description as you need to use the lower body to bring the hands into position and it happens automatically. The most difficult part for me is to not only understand it but also being able to apply it (don't we all). More specifically it's hard to apply it with speed. There's no point in utilizing the move if I can't feel like it's a natural move, and sometimes trying to add speed I get away from the principles thinking I am applying them as I speed up but I'm really moving away from it. I'm guessing that's where a real coach in person would be able to correct me immediately.

Callaway Paradym TD 10* Ventus Red TR 5S

Titleist TSR3 13.5* 3 Wood Tour AD-IZ 6S

Titleist TSR3 19* hybrid Modus GOST S

Titleist TSR2 24* hybrid Modus GOST S

Callaway Paradym Hybrid 27* Ventus non Velocore S

Titleist T100 2023 6-PW KBS Tour V S

Titleist SM8 50, 56, 60

Scotty Cameron X7.5 CS

I've been working on this over the winter. I'm usually square at impact with lots of EE and no rotation. I always ALWAYS slid hips linearly in transition and into downswing.

I've been hitting 3/4 type shots in while working on this the pivot move. I'm getting significantly more open now, which is something I never though I could do. Still lots of work left, but I'm liking the progress so far.

Before:

JVRFA4B.png

After:

lFp1axo.png

I've been working on this over the winter. I'm usually square at impact with lots of EE and no rotation. I always ALWAYS slid hips linearly in transition and into downswing.

I've been hitting 3/4 type shots in while working on this the pivot move. I'm getting significantly more open now, which is something I never though I could do. Still lots of work left, but I'm liking the progress so far.

Before:

JVRFA4B.png

After:

lFp1axo.png

What changes have you noticed in ball flight?

Before:

After:

What changes have you noticed in ball flight?

I've only taken it to the indoor golf dome once to see live ball flight since working on it (I'm doing lots of mirror and video work to ingrain the move right now).

What I can tell is that impact seems more solid with less effort (I normally fight the club into position so I feel muscle strain all over). Trajectory seems to be lower and more penetrating, likely because I normally add some loft at impact since I release early. I also haven't gotten much to the kick up part of the move yet - I'm staying in front bend and right side bend all the way through with very little kick up after p6.

I have lots to work on still, but I REALLY like being able to actually see visible changes and improvements already.