2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Odyssey X-ACT Tank Chipper

ZBUCK

In this thread lots of people get to brag about being good at chipping

Meanwhile there are some of us who aren't

Chipping is tough. I have a buddy who played the Niblicks for a long time. No shame in a chipper.

Here's a tip though, use your putter grip and stroke on most chips and just let the loft of the club do the work, it will take your dominant hand out of the stroke and chipping will be much easier. If I'm feeling yippy I will even do it with my lob wedge. It comes out dead and trickles to the hole.

I'm 47 years old - there isn't anything I haven't tried

The truth is I can putt from 20 yards away as well as most can chip it - not sure why but it's true. My issue is the right hand just fires at impact on chips and a number of things (none of them good) can happen. It's 100% brain wiring as some wrx members who are my regular foursome can attest.

There isn't going to be a fix to my issue (short of brain trauma of some sort) - mitigating it by putting or perhaps even something like this is my best bet

TM Sim D-Type Tour AD IZ 7s
Mavrik SZ 16.5 Tour AD DI 7s
Cleveland Hibore Xli 3,4,5
TaylorMade P790 6-AW
TM Tour MG Raw 54/58
Evnroll ER-1.2

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Chipping is tough. I have a buddy who played the Niblicks for a long time. No shame in a chipper.

Here's a tip though, use your putter grip and stroke on most chips and just let the loft of the club do the work, it will take your dominant hand out of the stroke and chipping will be much easier. If I'm feeling yippy I will even do it with my lob wedge. It comes out dead and trickles to the hole.

The truth is I can putt from 20 yards away as well as most can chip it - not sure why but it's true. My issue is the right hand just fires at impact on chips and a number of things (none of them good) can happen. It's 100% brain wiring as some wrx members who are my regular foursome can attest.

There isn't going to be a fix to my issue (short of brain trauma of some sort) - mitigating it by putting or perhaps even something like this is my best bet

If you're good at putting from off the green do the same thing with a hybrid or 8 or 9 iron with your putting grip. It's just like a putt but the ball will get on top of the grass and run out better.

Cally Epic Speed w/ Accra
Titleist TSR3 16.5 w/ HZRDUS Black 6.5
Ping G425 3 Hybrid w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Ping iCrossover 4 Iron w/Ping Tour Chrome X

Srixon ZX7 5-PW w/ PXLZ 6.0
Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Some guys I know who regularly go to Bandon swear by these. They say it's much easier and useful than a lob wedge with the tight lies around the greens.

I've heard the same thing, and in Scotland they are popular.

Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

I could have written this post, all the way down to being 47 years old. I've tried everything too. I've had multiple chipping lessons. I've tried putting with a 9 iron. I've tried gap wedges and lob wedges and keeping the handle still like a pendulum. I've tried hinge and hold.

I'm a mid-handicapper and I'm a dangerous man to play in my flight at local club tournaments. I win my share of flights by good course management and by steady play. I had the chipping yips, recovered from them a bit, and then took a recent turn for the worse in chipping. When I was in my 20's, chipping was easy. Now I've got too much scar tissue in there, and I think about it too much when I have a simple, straightforward chip. I might give this a try, even if it's just a stopgap type of solution while I get accustomed to how to chip better again.

I have to think this would be a fun club to play around somewhere like Pinehurst, once you get used to it.

I had heard these are illegal on tour. Any truth to that?

The double sided chippers are illegal under USGA rules. I'm pretty sure the Superstroke grip may be also. Aside from those two a chipper is legal.

well there goes q school!

Superstroke is fine if it's a round grip. Only flat-sided grips on chippers are illegal.

Some guys I know who regularly go to Bandon swear by these. They say it's much easier and useful than a lob wedge with the tight lies around the greens.

I can't speak for Scotland, or anyone but myself really, but they really are not.

I've floated about most of the top links courses and courses on the east coast and these are seen only in the bags of lady golfers beside their ball retriever and their matching pink headcovers.

A $130 chipper won't rescue your game in a 25-35mph wind at Gullane, Dunbar or Muirfield. Everyone is rocking the 5i rump and bun for all their worth.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

I can't speak for Scotland, or anyone but myself really, but they really are not.

I've floated about most of the top links courses and courses on the east coast and these are seen only in the bags of lady golfers beside their ball retriever and their matching pink headcovers.

A $130 chipper won't rescue your game in a 25-35mph wind at Gullane, Dunbar or Muirfield. Everyone is rocking the 5i rump and bun for all their worth.

I see these in the bags of all the retired dudes who mill around the course daily and shoot low 80s. Old guys don't give a flying f*** about what looks good, they just pipe s*** straight down the middle and use chippers to put it withing 5 feet of the cup every time.

The double sided chippers are illegal under USGA rules. I'm pretty sure the Superstroke grip may be also. Aside from those two a chipper is legal.

Superstroke is fine if it's a round grip. Only flat-sided grips on chippers are illegal.

The SS that comes with the club looks to have flat side, I'm not even sure that Superstroke makes a round non taper grip.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]

I see these in the bags of all the retired dudes who mill around the course daily and shoot low 80s. Old guys don't give a flying f*** about what looks good, they just pipe s*** straight down the middle and use chippers to put it withing 5 feet of the cup every time.

In Illinios that is perfectly possible, I was making comment on Scotland. But if I saw a group of older guys doing that at my course, then max respect. All that matters is the total.

• Ping G400 9* Fujikura Speeder 661 X (+16g head weight)
  • Tour Edge Exotics CB3 Tour 18*, True Temper Bi Matrix RXi X 
  • Adams Idea A7 19* & 22* UST V2 Hybrid X +0.5'
  • Mizuno MP20 HMB 4i KBS C-Taper 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MMC 5-7 Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Mizuno MP20 MB 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130X +0.5' 2 deg up
  • Cleveland RTX3 V-MG 50* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Nike Engage Raw 54* TT S400 +0.5'
  • Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 60* TT S400 +0.5'
  • EVNROLL 2.2 35' Super Stroke GTR 1.0

The concept is becoming more obvious to manufacturers now. Cleveland smart sole 2.0 is money. TaylorMade and Nike will follow. I am not sure I like the empty looking cavity. Others out there look more like a wedge but chunkier. With about about 26% of amateur golfers legitimately scoring in the 80s constantly why not use something legal to help lower the scores and make the game more fun. People drop 100's for a golf lesson so why not put a helping wedge in the bag. Last time I checked there are no pictures on the scorecard.

Has anyone found out if it's legal or not yet?

I believe as long as it's not double sided and you don't use a grip with a flat side (like a Superstroke), it's legal.

I'm not sure why it would be illegal. Are you saying the superstroke flatso's are illegal like Speith uses or is it only illegal on clubs other than a putter?

Has anyone found out if it's legal or not yet?

I believe as long as it's not double sided and you don't use a grip with a flat side (like a Superstroke), it's legal.

I'm not sure why it would be illegal. Are you saying the superstroke flatso's are illegal like Speith uses or is it only illegal on clubs other than a putter?

I truthfully have no idea - just reiterating what was said in earlier posts. I do know that double sided chippers are illegal though.

Grips must be round for all clubs that are not putters

http://www.usga.org/rules/equipment-rules.html#!rule-14619,cross

Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

Been there and totally relate to what you say. I lost my chopping game some years back and had to resort to putting or some sort of shot with a hybrid or fairway wood. On some fast running course, especially links, you can get around doing that but it isn't a method for all types of layout by any means.

Last year I got a noticeable improvement in my chipping by playing lofted chips one handed. It took a bit of practice and some nerve to actually do it live on the golf course, but there is no doubt I chip better (and with a much smoother rhythm) just using my right hand than I do using both hands. It could be that, in my case, the brain wiring you refer to can get a message through to one hand but the message gets scrambled when it has to go to two hands! It's probably not going to work for everyone but it might be worth a try...Apologies for going off topic from the Tank chipper.

Ping G400 Driver 10.5 deg x-torsion shaft
Callaway XR16 4wood
Callaway Big Bertha (2014) 7 wood
Irons: Srixon Z545 4-PW Nippon 950GH shafts
Wedges: Cleveland CBX 48, 52, 56
Putter: Scotty GOLO 5R

I wonder if the Big Cat will game this when he comes back?

Not Nike.. come on man

True, if anything deserves a swoosh this thing does.

Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

^^^This^^^

Titleist TSR3, w/Mitsubishi Tensei AV Blue with Xlink Tech 65
Titleist 915Fd, w/Aldila Rogue Black 80-2.8-S
19* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85

24* TSR3 Hybrid, w/Fujikura Atmos HB Tour Spec Blue 85
Mizuno MP-18 MMC 6-P, w/UST Recoil 95 F4
Callaway 52* MD5 JAWS S Grind
Callaway 58* PM Grind 19
T.P. Mills Professional Series Klassic/Odyssey O Works Tank #7

It's a shame that some people (not all) would never put this chipper in their bag due to the fact that people would rag on them. For me, a skulled chip or a chunked chip is one of those shots that just make me hang my head low in disappointment.

Callaway is looking for testers for this chipper so people can give feedback on it. Just in case anybody wanted to signup.

http://www.callawaygolf.com/community/#/discussion/1308/odyssey-x-act-tank-chipper-product-test-sign-up

It's a shame that some people (not all) would never put this chipper in their bag due to the fact that people would rag on them. For me, a skulled chip or a chunked chip is one of those shots that just make me hang my head low in disappointment.

Callaway is looking for testers for this chipper so people can give feedback on it. Just in case anybody wanted to signup.

http://www.callawayg...ct-test-sign-up

I agree and I'm going to sign up. I say use what works.

Cally Jaws Raw w/ TIS400
Ping Fetch/Ping Lil'B

http://www.callawayg...ct-test-sign-up

I agree and I'm going to sign up. I say use what works.

I completely agree. Just a heads up for those who want to sign up, you need to create an account to get your callaway community ID cause it will ask you for your callaway community ID during the sign up. Your community ID, user ID, and callaway community ID are all the same.

The SS that comes with the club looks to have flat side, I'm not even sure that Superstroke makes a round non taper grip.

I held the club at the PGA Tour Superstore. It's round. Odyssey is not putting an illegal grip on this club by accident, no matter what you think. I'm sure you thought you found a gotcha, but no.

I held the club at the PGA Tour Superstore. It's round. Odyssey is not putting an illegal grip on this club by accident, no matter what you think. I'm sure you thought you found a gotcha, but no.

No I gotcha. I couldn't tell, it just looked that way in the two pictures they had on their site. I'm surprised the Superstroke hasn't made a round grip to sell. I wouldn't be surprised since the target audience will likely never play in a USGA tournament.

Ping driver
Taylormade fairways
Adams irons
Vokey and CG wedges
Yes! putter
W/S and Vice balls
Nike shoes
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1212980-stillboards-witb/"]http://www.golfwrx.c...illboards-witb/[/url]