Golf in Orlando

zach0723

22 hours ago, sabram said:

For me it's (1) Southern Dunes, (2) Grand Cypress Links, and (3) Ritz.

Here are links to photo tours of all three (Click on photo to open):

Southern Dunes Golf Course (FL) 2021

Southern Dunes

Grand Cypress - Links Course (f/k/a the New Course)

Grand Cypress Links (f/k/a the New)

Ritz Carlton Golf Club at Grande Lakes

Ritz Carlton @Grand Lakes

what is the green fee at these places?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, flushem said:

what is the green fee at these places?

Prime time weekdays for a non Florida resident this week: Southern Dunes is $119. Grand Cypress $135 to $175. Ritz Carlton $355. Green fees should start to drop sometime in April. The lower green fee at SD us a bonus. It's the best course of the three 

Edited by sabram
Edited to correct green fees. The original post had a limited special rate for one of the courses

2 hours ago, sabram said:

Prime time weekdays for a non Florida resident this week: Southern Dunes is $119. The other two are $175. Green fees should start to drop sometime in April. The lower green fee at SD us a bonus. It's the best course of the three 

thanx.  even 175 is not so bad in Southern California standard.   Now top-rated Pelican is for $415

14 hours ago, flushem said:
16 hours ago, sabram said:

Prime time weekdays for a non Florida resident this week: Southern Dunes is $119. The other two are $175. Green fees should start to drop sometime in April. The lower green fee at SD us a bonus. It's the best course of the three 

thanx.  even 175 is not so bad in Southern California standard.   Now top-rated Pelican is for $415

Ooops. I was wrong. The green fee I posted for Ritz Carlton was wrong it was a special. Their prime time rate is currently $355. I'm going to edit the prior post. I woudn't pay that for that course.

3 hours ago, FlashinLeather said:

I will be in the area in two weeks and can only play one round. I was thinking Winter Park 9 but after going through this thread it seems that the best option is Southern Dunes.

Winter Park 9 is very good and very reasonably priced, but it's only 9 holes and not on as interesting piece of property as Southern Dunes. All things being equal, I'd definitely play Southern Dunes, But if you are staying north of the theme park areas and don't want to drive through the I-4 traffic and price is important, then you might want to play WP9.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, mulliganman30 said:

Haven't seen it posted but looks like Southern Dunes driving range and putting and chipping greens are all closed through summer starting at the end of April

Yes, they are being completely renovated. The putting green was open when I last played there, but that was about ten days ago.

I am looking for some thought from experts on an upcoming trip.   Will be arriving in the Orlando/WDW area late May 25th and checking out June 2nd.   On June 2nd we will be traveling from Orlando to Jackson to stay at Sawgrass and will play the Stadium Course that day.    I can potentially play one more time for sure while there, maybe twice.   I would like to hear what are considered best or even must-plays for a first-timer not excluding ones that require an on property stay. 

I could use the 25th as an option as a stay and play somewhere but obviously wouldn't have to.  May 26th through June 1st I already have lodging at a Marriott timeshare resort.   

I have thought about using the 25th as a stay and play at Bay Hill.   I was also considering trying to get a tee time for one of the Streamsong courses but don't know if I should still consider say the Blue or Red at 50% normal rates because of the aerification of the greens.   

I don't mind to drive a ways from Orlando to play but not sure if I'd want to go more than 1 1/2 or 2 hrs from there.  If all things are equal, closer may be better.   

Thanks in advance!

12 hours ago, mulliganman30 said:

Will be arriving in the Orlando/WDW area late May 25th and checking out June 2nd.   

I would like to hear what are considered best or even must-plays for a first-timer not excluding ones that require an on property stay. 

I could use the 25th as an option as a stay and play somewhere but obviously wouldn't have to.  I have thought about using the 25th as a stay and play at Bay Hill. 

I was also considering trying to get a tee time for one of the Streamsong courses but don't know if I should still consider say the Blue or Red at 50% normal rates because of the aerification of the greens.   

I don't mind to drive a ways from Orlando to play but not sure if I'd want to go more than 1 1/2 or 2 hrs from there.  If all things are equal, closer may be better.   

These are among the best in the area to fill a week of golf and will provide some good variety

• IMO a visit to Streamsong is almost  always a good option
  • Southern Dunes
  • Championsgate Country Club
  • Waldorf Astoria
  • Orange County National - Panther Lake
  • Grand Cypress Links
  • Mission Inn El Campeon
  • Bella Colina - For your "stay and play" day on the 25th
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/22/2022 at 10:50 AM, mulliganman30 said:

I am looking for some thought from experts on an upcoming trip.   Will be arriving in the Orlando/WDW area late May 25th and checking out June 2nd.   On June 2nd we will be traveling from Orlando to Jackson to stay at Sawgrass and will play the Stadium Course that day.    I can potentially play one more time for sure while there, maybe twice.   I would like to hear what are considered best or even must-plays for a first-timer not excluding ones that require an on property stay. 

I could use the 25th as an option as a stay and play somewhere but obviously wouldn't have to.  May 26th through June 1st I already have lodging at a Marriott timeshare resort.   

I have thought about using the 25th as a stay and play at Bay Hill.   I was also considering trying to get a tee time for one of the Streamsong courses but don't know if I should still consider say the Blue or Red at 50% normal rates because of the aerification of the greens.   

Thanks in advance!

Check out Hammock Beach Golf Resort & Spa. Official Website™ This place is north of Daytona Beach, south of TPC Sawgrass. Course has a few holes on the ocean front and has been on several "Top XX you can play" lists. If you end up going and have an extra spot, let me know. I would love to play and will gladly buy some refreshments for the spot!

Also, if you're ok with driving a little further, or taking a night away from Orlando to be closer to TPC Sawgrass, Amelia Island is just the other side of Jacksonville. There are a couple options. I have not been but hear good things.

Golf at Omni Amelia Island Resort | Fernandina Beach Golf Courses (omnihotels.com)

Amelia Island Golf Resorts | The Ritz-Carlton, Amelia Island (ritzcarlton.com)

• Like 1

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

• 1 month later...

Anyone played the Reunion courses lately? What kind of shape are they in? I haven't been to Orlando in a few years, but went to college down there. Coming down the first week of July, and spending the rest of the year down there. Will be staying in Reunion. Also, what are the best practice facilities down on that side of town? I went to UCF so I tried to stay on that side of the parks when I was down there. 

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

16 hours ago, Whisspy said:

Staying on the Boardwalk at WDW.  Going 4th of July weekend ….Waldorf or Southern Dunes ?

Nine holes are closed for the summer at Waldorf. You can play the same nine twice if you want. Waldorf is ten minutes from Boardwalk. Southern Dunes is 30-40 minutes from Boardwalk. If the proximity is your primary criterion, play Waldorf. SD is a better course (more interesting strategically and much more interesting greens) and better piece of land (more elevation changes). If it was me, I'd play SD. I live between those two courses and play SD 20+ times a year and play Waldorf 2 or 3 times a year (and that's when all 18 holes are open.) SD is $52 for non-Florida residents during the summer, so a good value.

I played the Disney Palm course yesterday. It's ten minutes from Boardwalk. It's a pretty good course so if proximity is important, consider that, although I prefer SD by a significant margin

16 hours ago, MPAndreassi said:

Anyone played the Reunion courses lately? What kind of shape are they in? I haven't been to Orlando in a few years, but went to college down there. Coming down the first week of July, and spending the rest of the year down there. Will be staying in Reunion. Also, what are the best practice facilities down on that side of town? I went to UCF so I tried to stay on that side of the parks when I was down there. 

I haven't played Reunion in awhile, but if you're staying there the three courses there are worth playing. They have a good practice facility. Omni Championsgate is close by and also has a decent practice area.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sabram said:

I haven't played Reunion in awhile, but if you're staying there the three courses there are worth playing. They have a good practice facility. Omni Championsgate is close by and also has a decent practice area.

I played them all about 10 years ago when I was down there still, and they were always in great shape. I assumed they've kept up with that.

Stealth Plus+ 10.5* || Ventus Blue TR 7x

SIM2 Rescue 17* || Ventus Blue HB 8x

X-Forged UT 18* || MMT UT 105tx

TSi2 21* || Ventus Black HB 10tx

T100/620MB 5-9 || DG X7

SM9 47 || DG X7

SM9 51, 55, 59 || DG X1

BB8 Tri Wiz Cu Insert || BGT Stability Tour

Bettinardi BKS #1

13 hours ago, sabram said:

Nine holes are closed for the summer at Waldorf. You can play the same nine twice if you want. Waldorf is ten minutes from Boardwalk. Southern Dunes is 30-40 minutes from Boardwalk. If the proximity is your primary criterion, play Waldorf. SD is a better course (more interesting strategically and much more interesting greens) and better piece of land (more elevation changes). If it was me, I'd play SD. I live between those two courses and play SD 20+ times a year and play Waldorf 2 or 3 times a year (and that's when all 18 holes are open.) SD is $52 for non-Florida residents during the summer, so a good value.

I played the Disney Palm course yesterday. It's ten minutes from Boardwalk. It's a pretty good course so if proximity is important, consider that, although I prefer SD by a significant margin

Any consideration for Grand Cypress? Since I'm staying at the Dolphin and leaving the wife with the kiddos, I may need to stay closer.   Magnolia is closed so sounds like Palm over Lake Buena Vista ?  SD sounds awesome but I may be gone all day......

9 hours ago, Whisspy said:

Any consideration for Grand Cypress? Since I'm staying at the Dolphin and leaving the wife with the kiddos, I may need to stay closer.   Magnolia is closed so sounds like Palm over Lake Buena Vista ?  SD sounds awesome but I may be gone all day......

It's not called Grand Cypress anymore. I think it's now Evermore. The Links course there (f/k/a the New Course) is certainly worth playing. It has a lot of design features based on the Old Course at St Andrews, although don't expect it to play firm and fast like a true links would. It is closer to Disney than Southern Dunes, but  more expensive, although the difference in the summer is not that much... $80 vs $50.  Click on the photo to link to a full photo album of the course.

On 6/8/2022 at 10:11 AM, sabram said:

It's not called Grand Cypress anymore. I think it's now Evermore. The Links course there (f/k/a the New Course) is certainly worth playing. It has a lot of design features based on the Old Course at St Andrews, although don't expect it to play firm and fast like a true links would. It is closer to Disney than Southern Dunes, but  more expensive, although the difference in the summer is not that much... $80 vs $50.  Click on the photo to link to a full photo album of the course.

Disney Palm or Lake ?

7 hours ago, Whisspy said:

Disney Palm or Lake ?

I never felt that there was much difference among the three Disney courses. I usually decide which one to play based on which course I can get the best tee time or which one I haven't played recently. If forced, I'd probably choose Palm. Click on a photo below to see photo tours of each course

Lake Buena Vista Golf Course Walt Disney World

Disney Lake Buena Vista

Palm Golf Course at Walt Disney World

Disney Palm Course

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2022 at 1:17 AM, Whisspy said:

Disney Palm or Lake ?

LBV to me is the star of the three despite being the red-headed stepchild of the WDW courses. If you want to play a fun round go LBV, if you want to test your game a bit more go Palm.

TM Sim 10.5*|Nike Vapor Pro Fly 15* |Nike CPR 18* Wood

Srixon Z785 4-PW Modus 120|Nike Engage 50* Square|Nike Engage 54* Square|Nike Engage 60* Square

Nike Origin B2-01 35"

On 6/16/2022 at 10:19 PM, GreyDawg said:

Anyone played Mayfair CC in Sanford? Solid course?

Heard good things about Twin Rivers as well in Oviedo. Trying to stay north of downtown.

I played Mayfair two weeks ago. Conditions weren’t anything to write home about, felt about right for the price paid. Greens had plenty of grass on them and rolled smooth, just were a tad long. You can hit it just about anywhere on the golf course as it’s pretty wide open save for a few holes.

It’s supposedly a Donald Ross course. I don’t know the exact history, but having just got back the week prior from a Pinehurst trip, I can say that a lot of the greens do have that Ross style to them, while others do not. 

I enjoy Twin Rivers from a layout perspective. Conditions are usually fine, however it’s the rainy season now and the course doesn’t always drain the best, so expect it to be wet. 

Edited by italianstallion