2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Joseph Mayo - Trackmanmaestro

pusb365

Are there any other mainstream sports where the instructor/coach basically just teach "theoretical" stuff and not being able to demonstrate the actual technique and still considered a guru in their field.

I do not know but I guess that it will happen more and more as technology, science and 3D measuring devices will be used more and more in sports.

A couple years ago the Maestro made it real clear that Trackman confirmed face angle was not the problem for the slicer masses. Now he seems to have about faced and is claiming the face angle through bad 'wrist alignments' was the problem and the reason why these same players have severe left path issues.

Ironically, calling out instructors for telling students to close the face earlier is exactly what he's doing by encouraging the flexed lead wrist. At least he now understands that the sequence leading up to impact is as significant as the numbers captured in that snapshot. It's just hilarious to hear these instructors eat this stuff up like they're drinking from the holy grail.

What were you saying a few years ago before all the new information started to come out, did you have it nailed.....doubt it. Hindsight is priceless and remember I told you so!!!

A couple years ago the Maestro made it real clear that Trackman confirmed face angle was not the problem for the slicer masses. Now he seems to have about faced and is claiming the face angle through bad 'wrist alignments' was the problem and the reason why these same players have severe left path issues.

Ironically, calling out instructors for telling students to close the face earlier is exactly what he's doing by encouraging the flexed lead wrist. At least he now understands that the sequence leading up to impact is as significant as the numbers captured in that snapshot. It's just hilarious to hear these instructors eat this stuff up like they're drinking from the holy grail.

What were you saying a few years ago before all the new information started to come out, did you have it nailed.....doubt it. Hindsight is priceless and remember I told you so!!!

I bought a Trackman in early 2012 and was the first and only person to use that technology in my city at the time. I learned a ton about ball flight and path and face relationships. What I wasn't doing was pretending to be some sort of guru who pioneered this stuff and when everyone was yelling from treetops to swing up positive AoA or die.... I was telling players to disregard attack angle and keep hitting down. I was the black sheep of the Trackman guru circles. Didn't have anything nailed, never claimed to..... but also never changed the narrative to fit what was popular.

Are there any other mainstream sports where the instructor/coach basically just teach "theoretical" stuff and not being able to demonstrate the actual technique and still considered a guru in their field.

I do not know but I guess that it will happen more and more as technology, science and 3D measuring devices will be used more and more in sports.

Geez I hope not, there are already tons of terrible instructors as it is.

Did you ever sell those Spauldings?

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

How do you like them? I still think you paid too much for them but hey they are good for fatties!!!

How do you like them? I still think you paid too much for them but hey they are good for fatties!!!

Where in the heck are you looking? I can't tell where you are looking for some reason.

Not to mention you have flipped flopped harder than Hilary on some of this stuff.

Ping G430 Max 9* Fujikura Ventus Velocore Blue 6X
Ping G425 Max 14.5 Alta CB 65S
Callaway Rogue ST Max 18* Tensei Blue 75S

PXG 0211 XCOR2 5-GW
Titleist SM9  52*F 56*D and 60*D
L.A.B. Link1/Scotty Newport
Srixon Z Star XV

Where in the heck are you looking? I can't tell where you are looking for some reason.

Not to mention you have flipped flopped harder than Hilary on some of this stuff.

[media=]

[/media]

Me not Mayo but you got bigger issues than bad guessing!!!

Where are the old videos? He literally said the ballflight of high caps started straight or left of the target line. He said we gotta stop trying to fix the face and correct the path.

Cue in at the 3 minute mark:

Most slicers do need to fix path...

While that's true, it's very hard to do without having a consistent or correct face angle or starting line. Once you can consistently start the ball on a good line, it makes fixing the path simpler. It's hard to make real path adjustments when your ball is starting all over the place.

Most slicers do need to fix path...

While that's true, it's very hard to do without having a consistent or correct face angle or starting line. Once you can consistently start the ball on a good line, it makes fixing the path simpler. It's hard to make real path adjustments when your ball is starting all over the place.

You're conflating a couple different things however. The Maestro in his ball flight videos made it sound like the fact that radar data showed face angle measurements that were, as he put it, 85-90% square or even closed to the target meant that the prescriptions were all backwards for the habitual slicer. It was portrayed as being groundbreaking info that meant face was not the problem.

Fast forward a couple years and he's now talking about the face angle in transition( P4-5 ) and how that because it's open, shaft plane is typically steep and club head outside of the hand path..... that same player is routing the path left due to a open face.

Obviously these golfers had the same sequence issues a couple years ago as they do now, so clearly despite poor face angles in transition they're able to make some compensations to get the face into a manageable position 85-90% of the time by impact. It's just that when all you're seeing is impact data and don't understand the entirety of the swing it's easy to say everyone else is wrong for trying to get the face squared up earlier or in a better position before impact. The rhetoric has now flip flopped.

He was very clear in the video that from his experience most slicers start the ball on line or slightly left of line...

Therefore, improve path...

I see far less push slicers, than straight and pull slicers...

I agree with you....however you're not listening to what he's saying now. It's all about wrist conditions and he also clearly said that most slicers now react to the face by manipulating the path. Fixing the face is how to get the path direction improved. That is a complete 180 from the video you love. I don't disagree necessarily with a lot of it, but I don't think you can attribute massive leftward path problems to wrist conditions. I don't care how much you bow your lead wrist in transition, if you don't have enough depth you're not shallowing or preventing a vertical hand path. BS pivot/turn is far more important IMO.

I've always stayed on the side of improving path for slicers...

How people react to ball flight is a funny thing, so I guess we may never know what works most effectively...

Ultimately you have to be effective for the student right in front of you...

Assuming he's changed his approach more than likely comes with good reason from his experiences...

Since he was shooting 100+ only 45 minutes before the IG video, how does the Maestro know he's still not shooting 100+ ?

Ping G425 LST 9° - Tour 65 X

Titleist TSi2 - 15° - Tensei AV Raw Blue 75 X

Callaway Apex Pro - 18° - Aldila NV Green 85 X

Titleist T100/T100S - 4-PW - Project X 6.0
Vokey SM8 50/54/58 - Black 
Taylor Made Spider Mini

Looks like the maestro is the real deal after all? Gotta say I like his content and find him engaging, polite and gracious on Twitter, would he acknowledge any mistakes he made on here when starting out I wonder?

Looks like the maestro is the real deal after all? Gotta say I like his content and find him engaging, polite and gracious on Twitter, would he acknowledge any mistakes he made on here when starting out I wonder?

Doubtful. The vast majority of people have no idea of his posts on here so why bring attention to it?

Doubtful. The vast majority of people have no idea of his posts on here so why bring attention to it?

You brought attention to his previous posts on posts 84, 144 as well as others on this thread.

You brought attention to his previous posts on posts 84, 144 as well as others on this thread.

Yes and I will continue to do so. When I said vast majority I mean of all of his clients, followers, etc. Most of them don't read this board.

I personally have a problem with him only playing golf for 8 years at the most but that's my problem, or so you would think. It turns out Joseph Mayo himself has a major problem with the fact he only started hitting balls (with his now famous borrowed set of spaldings) 8 years ago, so much so he's spun an intricate web of lies to cover this up

"Engaging polite and gracious"

"Engaging polite and gracious"

Ha, you find one example of Joe retaliating to possibly being insulted on twitter, amongst 100s of other positive tweets.